August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I... am...waiting...... To ... Go...... Run......waiting.. it's getting hotter and hotter. I'm getting anxious. Waiting.

Waiting at Verizon store. I thought today might be the 10. Maybe tomorrow- it's supposed to rain.

ETA Soo, NEWBIES. HOW ARE ALL YALL DOING?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I measured my calf and thigh - 38cm and 53 cm at their widest when flexing of course. I'm trying to remember why we are doing this... will go back a few pages.

I don't quite remember either, lol, but we're pretty close! I measured 36 and 52

Because I'm neurotic. My husband made a comment about mine. So I wondered whereabouts others were. :lol:

My calves at the widest are 34, my thighs 10cm above the knee is 44, and at the widest 54.

I'm only 5ft tall so my legs definitely look "thick". I'm almost 40 years old so I don't really care... when I was younger it definitely bothered me. I can cross my legs comfortably when sitting and that's all I really care about.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    8/1 = 4.5 miles
    8/2 = kettlebell strength training
    8/3 = 7.5 miles (six - 6 minute speed intervals)
    8/4 = 3.5 miles (track workout- 800m sprints & 200m recovery walk)
    8/5 = 4.5 miles

Just 4.5 slow and easy miles.

(August miles) 20/150 (August goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    8/19 = 100th Verns No Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    August goals are 90 miles and figuring out what all the info from my new watch means about my training.

Aug 3 - 10 miles
    Aug 4 - 6.2 miles
    Aug 5- 7.5 miles

Strangely, I pushed myself harder on the hills today and expected to see much higher heart rates since I went further on tired legs and definitely felt like I was working harder. Heart rate average was lower than yesterday, though I did have a higher max heart rate during the run.

@PastorVincent - congrats on the PR! And belated Happy Anniversary.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Day 1 is done. I will try to do Day 2 tonight. The hip flexor stretch and hamstring stretch I've done before also but the felt good. My cat loved the hamstring one because she could kiss my forehead LOL. Can't wait to run tomorrow.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    I'm back... :) I started running again in mid July after taking about 4 weeks off for my calf to heal. Today was the 1 year anniversary run of my 1st 5k. I took a little over 2 minutes off my time from last year and ended with a PR of 24:02. I would have liked a sub-24 minute time, but I'm not going to be too upset over 3 seconds, lol. Was unseasonably cool of 63 with light rain. Split times were 7:35, 7:47, 7:32. It has been quite a while since I've run a sub-8 mile in my training, so really felt good about that and my avg HR was pretty good at 148. This was a run to benefit veterans, so I thought it appropriate to wear my Embrace the Suck shirt. :D

A PR is a PR! Congrats! :smiley:

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden welcome back!
    @_nikkiwolf_ it's awesome that you have park runs close now!
    @amymoreorless nice running!
    @wishiwasarunner nice run. I've also noticed that hilly runs seem harder, but my HR isn't always mush higher, and on trail, it seems MUCH harder, but my HR is lower, probably because I walk the really nasty hills on trail.
    @juliet3455 Got to love taper crazies...LOL
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn clearly I am not living Koerner hard enough- I hate sunglasses.
    I can't go out without them... I think I might be part vampire... you didn't get up until 7???? Slacker!!! LOL
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - Congratulations on the PR, and good job managing a rather chaotic race situation! Now you'll have something to howl about when the moon comes out tonight. ;)

@rusgolden - Welcome back, congratulations on the PR, and may your calf be well for a long time to come.

@BruinsGal_91 - "Next time, I'm listening to sensible me." Yeah, that's what we all say.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @shrcpr My race is in Huntsville, Alabama -- the Huntsville Half Marathon.
    https://runsignup.com/Race/AL/Huntsville/HuntsvilleHalfMarathon

@WandaVaughn that's my HM PR race.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Nostalgia moment: Three years ago I ran with other runners in this group, and was by turns puzzled or amazed by people who could run a marathon just saying they'd run enough when there were more route miles left. Now, I've become one of those guys. If the plan says 17 miles but my body says stop at 14, sometimes (not often enough) I stop at 14. And nobody gives me a hard time about it. I guess I don't have to prove anything to anyone but myself.

That is your wisdom growing there I think

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom those Brooks are beauties <3

@BruinsGal_91 not so sensible me always wins, especially on race day. On the plus side not so sensible me has a hell of a lot of grit :D . Congrats on the AG!

@MNLittleFinn I just have a weird narrow nose thing going on, sunglasses never stay on. I go ball caps or blind lol