August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @RunRachelleRun Are you south of the worst of the fires?. I am NW of GP in your AB Neighbor. I have a 20km Mountain Race this weekend in Tumbler Ridge and it looks like a Heat Wave is about to hit us.

@juliet3455 No, I am in Metro Vancouver, below Golden Ears Park, west of Vancouver. All of the communities below the mountains are having terrible air quality going on two weeks now. Those on the southern side are finally improving. The mountains must be trapping the smoke.

I checked and Tumbler Ridge air looks good right now. Aqicn.org has real-time air quality if you want to check before your race.

A heat wave won't be fun for racing. Hope it holds off until you are done!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    A week off from work sure makes cutback weeks so much easier to do; sitting on my sweet derriere with my feet up roughly translates to "Guilt? What guilt?" from not running my usual schedule. It also means I get to post at 1am for once, lol.

02 - 13.54
    03 - 10.08
    04 - 25.21
    06 - 5.62
    08 - 7.35

Total: 61.80 / 200 miles
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of people are on the spreadsheet now!

Here's the link for those who want to help add to the data:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fkoCt23jGMmLaiaj03G5NOo0BbJEaGLwPNDeROJTNVs/edit#gid=0

We need males too!!

I felt compelled to put an extra Height column at the start. Otherwise, if you're like me, you feel compelled to compare yourself irrationally.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hang on, what's the difference between chest and bust? There was only chest there yesterday.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hang on, what's the difference between chest and bust? There was only chest there yesterday.

I take it to mean chest is below the protuberances and bust is measured around them.....ie. chest is around the ribs only.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I take it to mean chest is below the protuberances and bust is measured around them.....ie. chest is around the ribs only.

Yeah, I googled it this morning. @girlinahat is correct from what I saw in 30 seconds of Google results. Both men and women have "chest" size measured the same way. Women have "bust" size which apparently is important in certain kinds of clothes shopping. From one site:
    Your bust line measurement will be higher than your chest (“under the breast”) measurement. Your cup size is the difference between your chest size and your bust line measurement.
    (src: http://youngwomenshealth.org/2014/02/27/buying-a-bra/ )

Disclaimer - I am a guy. Duh. :)
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Morning in New Hampshire in the White Mountains is definitely a change from my normal run. I'm on vacation with my wife and our boys, no gym, missed my kr30dc yesterday. Ran 9.1 miles in the crisp clean air. Strava gave me a suffer score of 118 but I think that's because I'm still having some high readings on heart rate for my first ten minutes of working out each day. I've read online that this phenominom is not that unsual and is most often not an indication of any issues.
    @KatieJane83 avoiding the dreaded zone x seems like a challenge for most. First you have to have confidence that you've narrowed down what rates are zone x and then you have to gage what is an acceptable time to transition between zone 2 and 3 because you can't skip from one to the other without some zone x time. The 80/20 method talks about using three indicators for zones (pace, heart rate and feel) All three have flaws, so my rule of thumb is that if your only violating 1/3 your probably ok.
    @PastorVincent 1. Yes you're getting old (it beats the alternative.) I don't think you've peaked yet but time will tell. You'll probably never have a performance in your 40s that compares to what you may have done at 25 but there is only one way to find out. You of all people should understand the power of Faith.

exercise.png

• roxy2238
    roxy2238 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    8/8 - 3 miles
    Total: 3 out of 100
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    So, I'm enjoying perusing the spreadsheet. It actually is helping my brain "picture" you guys and your reports better. Hopefully that isn't as weird to say as it just sounded. And it is also fun to see which of you are my age, and which of you are levels of spectacular I can only hope to acheive when I reach future years.

Otherwise, umm 13?? I think??/40 miles for the month.

Also, PT intake is tonight. MRI tomorrow. Both of which are probably a good idea- since whoever thought to put "ankle" as a measurement on the spreadsheet, caused me to have to quantify how not happy the one is...
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @Orphia thank you for doing that with the height column! I had been meaning to, because I was getting heartily sick of constantly scrolling over to make sure I was making realistic comparisons :D
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    8/1 - Rest/sick day - feeling better, but not sure running would have been good. Hoping for tomorrow.
    8/2 - 4.5 miles of hill repeats. Glad I did it, more glad I'm done.
    8/3 - 3.5 short miles before getting in the car with the family.
    8/4 - Road trip / vacation
    8/5 - Road trip / vacation / anniversary
    8/6 - 5 miles. Gorgeous morning for a run!
    8/7 - 5 miles. Again, beautiful morning!
    8/8 - 5 miles. Another nice morning!
    8/9 - 4.6 miles of hill repeats with group. I am soooo tired and sleepy today.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I added bust as not to confuse the chest measurement. I'm only concerned about my chest measurement, bust is what it is and not an indication of weight loss nor muscle gained.

Chest is under the arm pit around.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    8/1 = 4.5 miles
    8/2 = kettlebell strength training
    8/3 = 7.5 miles (six - 6 minute speed intervals)
    8/4 = 3.5 miles (track workout- 800m sprints & 200m recovery walk)
    8/5 = 4.5 miles
    8/6 = 15 miles
    8/7 = 3 miles on the dreadmill & strength training 45 minutes
    8/8 = 8 miles & vinyasa yoga class
    8/9 = 7.5 miles Tempo run

96% humidity this morning. Just gross.

(August miles) 53.5/150 (August goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    8/19 = 100th Verns No Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon