Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent congrats on the anniversary. Great race this morning
    @respectthekitty beautiful picture
    @rusgolden great 5K today! Love the picture
    @bruinsgal_91 great job on the 2nd AG sorry the calf didn’t play nice
    Thanks @jessicamcb they are so pretty ha ha. I said to Skip do you want to go to Monte Sano to trail run, she said Mom I just raced and we are already at the Greenway (which is in the opposite direction). Okay I said then I said “tomorrow do you want to go to Monte Sano???” ha ha
    I don’t know the measurements of my calves, but skinny jeans are a no go here. Unless I want to pull down the pants legs every time I stand up.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn I just have a weird narrow nose thing going on, sunglasses never stay on. I go ball caps or blind lol

I actually wear both all the time, though the cap is as much for keeping sweat out of my eyes as for shade. Great run todsy by the way. Your mileage always makes me feel lazy, despite putting in 50 miles in 5 days this week.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    August 1 – 0.0 miles XT Water Aerobics & P90X3
    August 2 – 7.25 miles Long Run & P90X3 Yoga X
    August 3 – 0.0 miles XT P90X3 The Challenge and a 4-mile walk
    August 4 – 6.0 miles Fartlek Run & P90X3 CVX
    August 5 – 4.0 miles Great Brain Wash 5K Obstacle Run plus warm-up
    Total: 17.25/100 miles

Upcoming Races:
    August 18 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #3, 5K
    September 16 – Samoa Challenge (Thin Mint Sprint 5K and a Tagalong Trot 1 mile), Safety Harbor, FL
    October 1 – Ft. DeSoto 5K, Race #1 of the Triple Crown
    October 29 – Ft. DeSoto Halloween 5K, Race #2 of the Triple Crown
    November 18 – Insane Inflatable 5K Obstacle Run, Tampa, FL
    November 19 – St. Pete Runfest Half Marathon

This is always a favorite run of mine. The Great Brain Wash is a 5K filled with 14 water slide obstacles. So Much Fun!! And a great way to beat the heat! I was actually joined by both my daughter and my husband. The Boy bailed on us though to go to Metro-con.

Because we did this as a family, we didn’t do the timed wave. No biggie. It was still a good workout. I really need to think about building water obstacles in my backyard, lol!

I hope everyone raced well this weekend…especially those racing twice! Awesome 5K time there @PastorVincent !
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @bettym1017 the 5K sounds like a blast
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited August 2017
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    Most of the runners on here make me feel like a slacker, lol! I can't imagine doing half of these runs. Then again, a year or so ago I didn't think I'd ever even run 3 miles without stopping and now I can run 10 miles straight every other week. Someday, I might be able to run with the big dogs!
    Little secret for you. Running is an addiction. I definitely don't feel like I'm more than a mediocre runner. You're doing awesome, so don't worry about the mileage other people put in. Keep in mind you're already doing so much more than the general population, and that makes you a big dog.
    I'm aiming to do the first 4 weeks of couch to 5km!
    I'm heading to Outward Bound in September and desperately need to get some level of fitness.

Awesome! welcome. You've found a great, hugely supportive group here.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming to do the first 4 weeks of couch to 5km!
    I'm heading to Outward Bound in September and desperately need to get some level of fitness.

Welcome!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Just realized I haven't posted any runs since the first. Maybe because they were both on the treadmill at the gym...
    Today I got back outside a bit late because I had an early appointment first. I took Hobbes the Vizsla with me until it was just too hot for him. We were running on dirt but I knew he had had enough so I called my husband and had him pick him up. Hobbes was SO happy to see him. I finished up the last 4 or so miles and it was too hot for me by the time I got home. I stripped off my shoes and socks and headed straight for the pool - it felt just amazing!

I have to mention something that happened at the gym on Thursday... I was running on the treadmill in the back row of two rows of treadmills. A man came in and got on one of the treadmills in front of me and started running, not a problem right... All of a sudden he started dodging, flailing his arms and slipping down and sideways on the treadmill and looking like he was going to fall down. I thought I might need to go and get someone to help him. At that point I realized he was actually doing some kind of a marshal arts type routine dodging and boxing, he even punched the treadmill controls several times. It literally scared the crap out of me and kept startling me over and over again. People all around me were just stunned trying to figure out what he was doing.

@PastorVincent - congratulations on the race and PR!
    @rusgolden - welcome back and congratulations on your PR!
    @skippygirlsmom - so wish we had a Fleet Feet close by here! Probably better though that we don't! Love your new shoes!
    @BruinsGal_91 - you placed - doesn't matter how many others there were in the group! Next time yes - listen to sensible you. I hope your calf recovers and feels better soon!
    @Elise4270 - love that meme! we have all been in those stores with the chatty sales person who takes FOREVER checking out the person in front of you! Hope you escaped the Verizon store in time to get out for a run!!

Date........Miles.......Total
    08/01......5.49........5.49 - + Strength Training
    08/02......0.00........5.49
    08/03......5.13......10.62 - Treadmill
    08/04......0.00......10.62 - + Strength Training
    08/05......9.69......20.31

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon

10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run
    12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @bonniegarbal nice running. Intervals can be really tiring!
    @shanaber nice run! The martial arts guy story is hilarious. I don't ever recall shadow boxing on a TM during my Muay Thai days.... interesting...LOL
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn I just have a weird narrow nose thing going on, sunglasses never stay on. I go ball caps or blind lol

I actually wear both all the time, though the cap is as much for keeping sweat out of my eyes as for shade. Great run todsy by the way. Your mileage always makes me feel lazy, despite putting in 50 miles in 5 days this week.

There isn't even that much difference in our mileage crazy ;) #teammediocrerunners
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @shanaber the FF is far enough away that I don't have to pass it unless I'm going there but close enough to drive over there easily. Ok I thought you were going to say he was having a seizure or something. During our run today a guy was shadow boxing while running and thought that was weird enough ha ha
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Cross posting this from my newsfeed to get more feedback:
    My Nutri Ninja died... smelled like it was burning when I was making my post run smoothie breakfast :( spit out black stuff onto the counter and I think into my smoothie so I didn't even get to have it (my husband took it and wouldn't let me have it - I was considering it though feeling rungery as I was). I am not even sure if I have had it the Ninja a year but now I need to replace it. My daughter is telling me to just invest in a Vitamix... what do you all think?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Cross posting this from my newsfeed to get more feedback:
    My Nutri Ninja died... smelled like it was burning when I was making my post run smoothie breakfast :( spit out black stuff onto the counter and I think into my smoothie so I didn't even get to have it (my husband took it and wouldn't let me have it - I was considering it though feeling rungery as I was). I am not even sure if I have had it the Ninja a year but now I need to replace it. My daughter is telling me to just invest in a Vitamix... what do you all think?

Since it was less than a year you could try calling Ninja, you may get a new one out of it.

If not, I've heard great things about vitamix. Maybe you could find one second hand. Or in my house when I want something expensive we do it as a Christmas/anniversary/birthday present :smile:
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    My daughter is telling me to just invest in a Vitamix... what do you all think?

I adore my mom's Blendtec. Same theory as Vitamix, but the blades are dull (no need to sharpen, no risk of cutting yourself getting stuff out) and there's no plunger thingy. Also it's a little cheaper.

She grinds her own flaxseed meal and almond butter with it.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    5.5 mile run today through the meadow portion of Busse Woods. Very cloudy and only 67F. A bit breezy as well. Not too bad for August.

The meadow was pretty empty, which meant it was just me and the five million birds that were flitting through the tall grasses. It was a very peaceful, zen run. Loved it.

xplu4szwuexs.jpg

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be dry and not too hot, so it's definitely LONG RUN DAY!

August total - 19.7 / 100

It looks beautiful but where is the path? Or are you running freely through the meadow?

LOL don't I wish! No, I was taking the photo from the path. :smile:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well folks, it just didn't happen today.

I don't know what the problem was. It didn't help that I slept in really late, probably too much sleep. I went out thinking I'd have a nice run, but my energy level was just not there. I felt exhausted and a little sick to my stomach. OK, I thought... maybe it's just the First Mile Syndrome. But after mile two and I still wasn't feeling any better I decided to call it and walk home, frustrated and crying. I don't know what happened. I just didn't have anything in the tank today.

Probably doesn't help that it's the TOM for me (sorry, men) so maybe that's what was sapping my energy. I got two miles, and two more miles walking, so it's better than nothing. And I will get out there and try again tomorrow.

August total - 21.7 / 100 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty good job getting out there. Tough runs like today are character builders. Keep up the good work!