Does Slim Fast really work? Well it has for me..

Options

Replies

• giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Interesting
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Here's a cookie.,...

WOW! Rude.
  • mgeralt
    mgeralt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well thank you for your "overwhelming" words of support.. lol BTW, I don't plan on doing Slim Fast forever.. You shouldn't assume someone who does these shake diets is completely ignorant of the fact that they are not a forever thing.. DUH... Most of us know this already. Sometimes what you may call the "right way" to lose weight doesn't always work for everyone..

Hi OP
    I get what you were trying to say. I fully support you, wish you well, and love your sense of humor. Slim Fast serves a purpose but haters still gonna hate.
    :drinker: <<Those are shakes, not beers ha ha

Too bad they aren't real beers..lol I wish they made a low cal, low carb beer that actually tasted good.. Maybe someday..:bigsmile:
  • mgeralt
    Options
    Good for you. Here's a cookie.,...

WOW! Rude.

Sure wish I could have a cookie... lol :tongue:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Come on now.. Experience and age does not always make you an expert at weight loss and healthy lifestyle.. If that were the case, then us "older" folks on here wouldn't have the weight problems we have.. People shouldn't attack someone young for wanting to be healthy.. More young people need to start being more concerned with their health..

Anyone who drinks Slimfast is concerned with their weight and not with their health.
    [/quote

This is so untrue, being 100lbs overweight is more deadly and unhealthy than drinking slim fast. If your concerned about your weight your concerned about your health. They go hand in hand. And not everyone eats clean therefore her drinking slimfast is NOT adding anything to her diet that she's not getting from any of her other processed foods. Come on get real about this. It's a processed food that's all it is.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It isn't a processed food...it's a processed drink. Food requires chewing.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I'm NOT saying it is because it is SLIM FAST I lost the weight.
    I am saying the plan helped me.
    I know its not some freaking magical liquid that solved all of my problems.
    I know it is because it is a calorie deficit.
    I am not retarded.
    I am saying the plan can help people, and there is nothing wrong with that.

You're also 18 so your life experience is pretty limited but we'll forgive that. Many people here have been yo yo dieters for years that have the experience to comment on fad diets, magic pills and meal replacements for weight loss. Sometimes it's better to sit back quietly and learn.
    Eff it. You're not worth it.

LOL, nice edit.
    Glad you liked it. :flowerforyou:

Come on now.. Experience and age does not always make you an expert at weight loss and healthy lifestyle.. If that were the case, then us "older" folks on here wouldn't have the weight problems we have.. People shouldn't attack someone young for wanting to be healthy.. More young people need to start being more concerned with their health..

WOW. The ignorance and arrogance....
    The whole point of experience is that many people have been down this road several times and realised that it did not work, which fits in well with observed data out there. If you want to carry on down, by all means do so but don't go into a public space (which is what this forum is) seeking validation.
    As for the 'polite' 18 year old, well one day you'll grow up.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ha wow.. this is ironic!! Doesn't anger shoot up the cortisol in the body, therefore making it harder to lose weight?
  • tmauck4472
    Options

Wrong answer, I drink my food almost everyday. Fruit smoothies and veggie smoothies are amazing and I don't chew a darn thing. You can have something considered food without chewing. And it's a processed MEAL replacement drink. She's replacing one meal, that she may or may not chew, for something that requires no chewing but gives her the same feeling as having "chewed" a meal.
    The point is the drink is processed and more than likely so would have been her other meal.
  • Skwhiting64
    Skwhiting64 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Glad you listed the ingrediants. My SlimFast story turned into a 3-year nightmare. Have used it off and on for quick weight loss for years with no problem. Three years ago I got hooked on Cappicino flavored SlimFast. Was buying it at Sam's by the cartons. Went for checkup, triglycerides were sky high (wonder why?). Dr. put me on Lipitor after doing baseline liver function tests, which were normal. Several weeks later he rechecked labs and my AST and ALT were off the chart. Came off Lipitor immediately and he recommended Niacin and fish oil. Labs came down but not to normal. Several months later I was so sick I could barely function. Nausea constantly, chalk-colored stools, orange urine (I know, TMI). It took 3 months to get the diagnosis of autoimmune liver disease finally via liver biopsy. Lost a lot of weight during this time but was then put on high doses of Prednisone. Holy cow, I knew it caused you to eat a lot, but I ballooned up like a blimp. Now 2 years later I have the disease under control and am only taking a maintenance dose of 2.5 mg daily but haven't been able to lose the weight. Not saying SlimFast (3 cans a day) caused the disease, but because of the high sugar content, my triglycerides went up. I'm sure it was a mixture of the Lipitor, niacin and fish oil I used to try to lower the numbers that caused the liver disease. So far I don't have diabetes but being on Prednisone there is always that possibility. Now instead of needing to lose 10 pounds (the initial reason I started using SlimFast), I need to lose 37 to get to my goal weight of 150.
    Now when I crave a shake I make my own. Frozen banana slices or whatever fresh fruit I have, unsweetened almond milk, yogurt (not lite--it has aspertame in it) and chia or flax seed with crushed ice. Yum.
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ah, how did I know you had also chosen to go the 1200 calorie route as well? I wish you luck in your journey but it will most likely end when you can't stand the sight of another Slim Fast shake or get so hungry you want to chew your leg off. There is no sustainable lifestyle in following 1200 calories and diet shakes.

Some people, like me, will gain weight if they eat more than 1200 calories. I tried upping my calories for 4 months and gained half of my weight back. I have an underactive thyroid so I have to stick at 1200 calories. And I am not using that as an excuse since I already lost almost 70lbs and have only 8lbs until I reach my goal weight. And I just recently found that out about my thyroid.

Everyone is different so there is no need to judge the 1200 calorie person.
  • silken555
    Options

Wrong answer, I drink my food almost everyday. Fruit smoothies and veggie smoothies are amazing and I don't chew a darn thing. You can have something considered food without chewing. And it's a processed MEAL replacement drink. She's replacing one meal, that she may or may not chew, for something that requires no chewing but gives her the same feeling as having "chewed" a meal.
    The point is the drink is processed and more than likely so would have been her other meal.

Anything smooshed up and drank is a drink...it is no longer classed as food regardless of what it was previously. I never said it makes it bad. I simply said it is no longer food. BTW, I just noticed your ticker and damn girl, you go!
  • tmauck4472
    Options

Anything smooshed up and drank is a drink...it is no longer classed as food regardless of what it was previously. I never said it makes it bad. I simply said it is no longer food. BTW, I just noticed your ticker and damn girl, you go!

LOL Thanks, but explain to me why it's not food. It still has all the calories, all the nutrients, nothing changes except the texture? Baby food is all ground up but is still considered food, and they can be drank, people put it in bottles all the time and the kids drink it down and it's not thinned out. I admit to doing it a time or two when I was trying to cook and she was hungry. Sure you drink it but it's still food, your still feeding the body.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, earlier someone provided the contents of what is in each can of that stuff.

Based on that, I dont think it appeals to me, therefore I would reject it. Especially if it has the nasty aspartame which i HATE !!! blech.. like taking bad medicine haha

I think if i want a shake, I might like to try a home made one, I got one made at the gym, and it had protein powder and no sugar, no aspartame, and fruit juice and yogurt, and i cant remember anything else. because it had a lot of crushed ice, it tasted yummy.

i had another one made at the same gym, it sucked.. not sure what happened.

i think though a shake made at the gym might be a good alternative .. or find one to make at home if you have a blender.
  • mgeralt
    Options

LOL Thanks, but explain to me why it's not food. It still has all the calories, all the nutrients, nothing changes except the texture? Baby food is all ground up but is still considered food, and they can be drank, people put it in bottles all the time and the kids drink it down and it's not thinned out. I admit to doing it a time or two when I was trying to cook and she was hungry. Sure you drink it but it's still food, your still feeding the body.

Just wanted to also say CONGRATS on your weight loss tmauck4472 !! You have done awesome.. Not too many could do what you have done.. WOW.. WTG!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Once it's juice, it's juice, not food.
  • tmauck4472
    Options

but everything is the same except the texture, nothing else changes, it has the same calories, the same nutrients it works the same way in your body, I'm seriously having issues understanding how it's considered a drink and not food, it's still food, it's still feeding your body.
  • tmauck4472
    Options

Just wanted to also say CONGRATS on your weight loss tmauck4472 !! You have done awesome.. Not too many could do what you have done.. WOW.. WTG!!!

Thanks :) anyone can do it, they just have to want it bad enough. I do
  • silken555
    Options

but everything is the same except the texture, nothing else changes, it has the same calories, the same nutrients it works the same way in your body, I'm seriously having issues understanding how it's considered a drink and not food, it's still food, it's still feeding your body.

Its the whole chewing thing. Just an example. Weight Watchers (here in Canada, not sure about the US) has a policy of zero points for most fruits and vegetables with a few exceptions. However, if one puts those same fruits and vegetables into a smoothy, then they have points. All because they are no longer chewed. In WW's way of thinking, the act of chewing uses calories which negates the small amount of calories most raw fruits and veggies have. (I'm not on WW, my best friend is and that's how she explained it). Drinking takes no effort. Technically speaking I can agree that everything is food for nutrient contents et al but society has chosen to classify anything not chewed as drink (with the exception of the baby food you mentioned).
  • tmauck4472
    Options

Its the whole chewing thing. Just an example. Weight Watchers (here in Canada, not sure about the US) has a policy of zero points for most fruits and vegetables with a few exceptions. However, if one puts those same fruits and vegetables into a smoothy, then they have points. All because they are no longer chewed. In WW's way of thinking, the act of chewing uses calories which negates the small amount of calories most raw fruits and veggies have. (I'm not on WW, my best friend is and that's how she explained it). Drinking takes no effort. Technically speaking I can agree that everything is food for nutrient contents et al but society has chosen to classify anything not chewed as drink (with the exception of the baby food you mentioned).

thank you...but that's just plain stupid....lol Chewing really doesn't use that many calories in my mind but okay.