Do you believe in ghosts?

Options

Replies

• Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes and I don't care if people call me crazy.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Notice how haunted places are usually old, draughty places or where an horrific death happened. What about all the other millions of places where someone died, why are we not seeing ghosts there? That's what makes me think ghosts don't exist.

My sister and brother-in-laws house is haunted and it's not drafty nor did a horrific death happen there. I have seen two pictures that they took of the outside of the house when they were doing renovations. In one picture you can clearly see the image of a man in overalls with one strap down standing in the upstairs window. In the other picture there was the image of a woman in a high necked dress with lace at the throat. Apparently they were the farmers who lived in that house about a century (or more) ago. They were also doing renovations on the inside and experienced a little bit of activity. My sister-in-law was in the house alone working. She got tired, went upstairs to take a nap. Right after she laid down and closed her eyes she felt someone sit down on the bed and she was the only one in the house. Her kids have experienced things too and they often have shoes and other items go missing.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Not in my case bro. Many witnesses over a very long period of time with totally unrelated people with different stories, but similar. I'm telling you, it is not made up.

i dont think anyone is accusing you of making it up. we are just saying whatever you are experiencing is due to some natural/neurologic event and is not the result of a ghost.

just like the sleep paralysis i mentioned above. that explains a lot of the cases of people being visitied in their bedrooms by ghosts/demons/aliens etc...

just like in the past when people thought comets were from the Gods...

or possessed people were due to demons and not mental disorders...

whatever you are experiencing will at some point be explained just like all those examples.(or maybe it is already explained)

Maybe, but too many situations. I just don't think anything can explain it. It's just weird. And, you have to hear the stories. 3 different people unrelated tell the same story of a party in the next room, with music, pool table going, drinks clinking, people laughing and talking, at 3am. Walk into the room, and dead silence. Nothing. This has happened many times over the years to guests. This is one example. I have many more. You could day they are just hearing something else. No. It is clear as a bell. It's in the next room. And you wake up thinking why the hell are they having a party so late, so you get up to see, and there's nothing.

One example of probably many that I have. I have visual sightings as well. Yeah, reflections, light infractions, blah, blah. Too much consistency.
    There is a camp ground I have gone to for years and there was a dark spooky looking path over by the shower houses. Year after year I heard tons of people tell me ghost stories about their trips to the shower houses. Then one year they installed a series of lights along that path which made it much safer but also way less spooky. That year all of the ghost stories stopped and to this day I have not heard one person tell me about the haunted pathway to the shower houses.

Their stories were consistent. They were all subjected to the same area that scared them. So they came up with similar stories to explain their fear.

I don't know what is causing the particular auditory illusion that you are describing but I highly doubt it is caused by a ghost. I am sure it is caused by some natural event that produces sounds that simply sound similar to everyone who experiences them.

Rest assured that if I do ever see proof of the supernatural I will become a believer that second. I am not even resistant to the idea and even if ghosts were real I would not fear them. When you think about it if they were real then they were always real and they did not do anything to be before so I think I could learn to coexist with them as I already have.

The thing is the time for me to believe that ghosts are real comes after I see evidence for them and not before.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    We live in a society with pervasive surveillance.

Nearly every person on the planet carries a video camera in their pocket. There are private and government video cameras everywhere.

It is getting harder and harder to justify belief in UFOs or aliens or ghosts or any kind of "paranormal" activity.

If ghosts are real, you wouldn't have some vague "Oh, I feel kinda cold in this room and I thought I heard something!" You'd have 100 YouTube videos of the same event from 100 different camera angles.

Right.

Because ghosts are always ready and available to be video taped and caught on film.

99% of people in the developed world have for at least five years had a video camera about their person at all times, and not one even vaguely convincing amateur video of a ghost exists, anywhere in the world, every single instance is just a thing that happened to one or two people people in a small room. They never go to public areas, to large groups, and despite most ghost 'sightings' being of family members it never happens to the vast majority of people. If the dead have the power to visit relatives in transparent form why haven't mine ever done it?
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    No, I believe in the Scientific Method.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Nope I'm not a believer, but bumping to see who really believes?
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The thing is the time for me to believe that ghosts are real comes after I see evidence for them and not before.

This, in a nutshell.

To quote Tim Minchin; "throughout history every mystery ever solved has turned out to be ... not magic".
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Wow, people really like a stranglehold on their beliefs.

But even myself, who does believe, first went for ALL logical reasons before conceding to anything else: one place had old copper gas lanes still in the walls, which the outdated electrical system (copper wire wrapped in cloth for ^$%^@# sake!) tapped into to "ground" thus the WHOLE building was basically a giant EMF field. Another place had massive amount of limestone & mold issues (mold which can cause health issues).

But there was a few strange events that couldn't be explained and where witnessed by multiple people and backed up with pictures. (Yes, I was on a Paranormal group for a while). We always went with trying to discredit EVERYTHING we "caught" then dealt with anything left over.

But everyone will hold their own beliefs over whether or not ghosts (paranormal events) exist. I prefer science to belief, the tangible to the immaterial, but I can say I do believe due to personal events I have been witness to and that I can't explain. Maybe one day, I will figure out what may have caused them, but until the enigma remains....

Was that real or not?

*edited for spelling*
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I lived in a haunted house once. It was'nt bad. I actually knew the lady before she died, we were neighbors and I moved into that house 3 years later. Not once but twice, I saw something that I cannot explain. The second time I was'nt alone and it was a ummmmmmmmm, game changer.. lol...
  • soldier4242
    Options
    "Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't.. -"Leo Buscaglia

“The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.” – Frank Herbert

“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” ~ Henri Bergson

"It's pathetic how we can't live with the things we can't understand. How we need everything labeled and explained and deconstructed. Even if it's for sure unexplainable."~ Chuck Palahniuk
    Who on earth is perpetuating the idea that a person has to know everything to reject a claim? That is ridiculous.

It is pathetic how people have to label everything because they cannot live with the unexplainable but that comment is not directed at me the skeptic it applies to you all the believers.

If I exhaust all of my best efforts trying to explain a phenomena and I cannot explain it then I am content to say that "I don't know." That is not the case for some. They have to put a label on it and claim to "know" what the answer is. Even if the answer is not really an answer at all. So while I say "I don't know" another would say "A ghost did it"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    About as much as I believe there's a sky daddy...............................................................so no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ghosts, spirits, demons, demon possessions, poltergeists, are very real. Watch The haunted on Netflix. I honestly don't understand why people don't believe in stuff like this. Just because someone doesn't believe something, doesn't mean its not there.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My theory is.... if you allow yourself to believe, you're more likely to come across the spiritual world

If you don't believe, then you don't see/hear it. You're not open to believing, so then you're less likely to be influenced by the paranormal.

Just my two cents.

So if you want to, you will see it. Otherwise it doesn't exist.

Sounds legit.

Kinda how faith works, you know? You can't prove God doesn't exist...but believers can "prove" He does exist. And weirdly enough, vice versa.
    [/quote

Actually nobody can "prove" in the existence of god, other than as a widely held delusion.

Oh geez. I'm so glad you took the time to let us all know.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I believe.

I can accept that some of that is probably that I want to.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I'm bothering the most outspoken against it. Me thinks that he protests too much.
    So now you are saying that if a person says they don't believe in ghost vehemently then it must be because they actually do believe in ghost but they just don't want to believe in them?
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    OMG, I would move out of that house, ASAP. That is a scary picture! I believe. I lived in an old farm house once and saw the old lady that lived there before me, she had been dead approx. 3years when I saw her. We shortly moved out of that house! LOL.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Some people have legitimate unexplained stories to tell that would freak you the f*** out and probably change your perspective on the issue.

You don't know everything about life and the universe. Take a step back.
    I don't have to know everything about life and the universe. Why would that be a prerequisite to rejecting your claim? If anything you should take a step back.

As I stated before ghost claims boil down to some story that cannot be explained. Why are you bothered by me at all? I am not saying anything directly about you at all. I am simply stating that you are making a rather large claim that carries with it a rather large burden of proof. Why wouldn't you expect my reaction to be this? Do you simply believe every ghost sighting claim that is presented to you? I am sure that you don't.

I'm bothering the most outspoken against it. Me thinks that he protests too much.

Pot, have you met the kettle?
This discussion has been closed.