Proccessed Foods

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this link here because science. And science is awesome.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

You can go ahead and consume all the artificial sweeteners you want...doesn't matter to me one bit. Go for it and enjoy them. I'm not judging and I'm not saying you shouldn't drink them. I'm simply stating that I'm not going to consume them.

My opinion is not going to change. I've read enough studies against them and spoken to people who have had issues with them that I choose to not to partake. Not really sure why this is such a big deal for everyone?

When people say they are going to drink diet soda I don't tell them it's unsafe. I just ignore it and let them make their own decisions.

Yes there are studies that say they are safe...there are just as many that say they aren't safe...it all depends on what side of the coin you're looking to prove.

I can only assume you didn't read the thread I linked to.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

You can go ahead and consume all the artificial sweeteners you want...doesn't matter to me one bit. Go for it and enjoy them. I'm not judging and I'm not saying you shouldn't drink them. I'm simply stating that I'm not going to consume them.

My opinion is not going to change. I've read enough studies against them and spoken to people who have had issues with them that I choose to not to partake. Not really sure why this is such a big deal for everyone?

When people say they are going to drink diet soda I don't tell them it's unsafe. I just ignore it and let them make their own decisions.

Yes there are studies that say they are safe...there are just as many that say they aren't safe...it all depends on what side of the coin you're looking to prove.

I can only assume you didn't read the thread I linked to.

I saw this thread 2 years ago, so it's nothing new to me. Nothing has changed.

What I don't understand is why you (and others) feel the need to constantly try and prove your point that artificial sweeteners are safe? Ok...they are safe. I'm not trying to prove they are dangerous. All I've stated is that I choose to not consume them...why does that have to be argued? I'm not telling you not to consume them. Yes I realize this is a discussion board, but why can't people have their own opinions?

Would it be more helpful if I simply said I don't like the way they taste and the way they make me feel? I'd much rather eat real sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I really don't want this thread to become another artificial sweetener debate and I don't care if you consume them or not, but I think the reason VintageFeline posted the link is because you didn't just say that you are not going to consume them, but that you believe they are harmful. That they are harmful is a factual claim (different from "I think sweetened coffee is weird and ruins the coffee -- which is a taste preference), so you will get responses. In this case, just a link to a thread where the topic has been discussed at great length (and which is actually pretty interesting).

For the record, I don't drink that much diet soda, but I do drink it occasionally and invariably, EVERY time I am consuming one someone tells me "you know, that causes Alzheimers" or whatever the thing of the day is (cancer before, I suppose). It's slightly annoying, especially since I certainly never tell anyone else to consume it. I also have to pay 1 cent per oz in taxes on it (plus 3% in addition), because it's allegedly bad for you, even though the evidence for that is weak.

But eh, I don't really care (this is discussed in the soda tax thread). I do think it means that it's fair game to cite and link to the evidence that it's actually fine.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    https://usrtk.org/sweeteners/aspartame_health_risks/

Um...

(cue awkward moment...)

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    *Hears the phrase “Vet your sources” echoing in her brain.*

It's kind of painful isn't it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    megpie, if you think the MFP community is not adequately focused on nutrition and don't want to debate the merits of ultra processed foods or artificial sweeteners, you might enjoy one of the threads on vegetables and fruit, like http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10586673/how-many-different-fruits-and-veggies-did-you-eat-today#latest

We don't talk about what we do eat, but do act as boosters for our favorite produce sometimes, and IMO it's a lot more important for health to focus on what you do eat (and to include nutrient dense foods like vegetables) than to fret about whether boxed coconut milk (which is probably not a significant part of most people's diets) is ultra processed or not or whether an Oreo is worse for you than a homemade snickerdoodle.* If you have decided that posters who say that "clean eating" is not really a thing or not important must not care about nutrition or eat terrible diets, it might give you more perspective on that too.

*I'm not saying those other discussions can't be fun too, of course! ;-)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    When you hear the words processed foods what comes to mind. Food processing or package processing?

Food processing. I don't consider putting a whole food in a package as processing. When I hear "processed foods" I think of foods that have been altered in some way from their natural whole state.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Honestly, I don't care who does or doesn't choose to consume aspartame. I'm not much of a consumer myself and also use "real" sugar and sweeteners instead for their various flavours (honey, maple syrup, white sugar, golden caster. Golden castor is brilliant for giving meringues a slightly caramel flavour FYI).

What I do care about is the spread of misinformation and the potential for that to set people up for failure. Much like the whole clean eating thing, people suddenly feel like they have to cut out cookies and cake and pizza and all sorts of other things because they're unhealthy. And then they can't sustain it, eat a bunch of the forbidden foods and give up altogether.

So if people want to consume one of the most studied (or is it actually THE most studied, I forget) food products that has been found to be safe then have at it.

And I read a good chunk of the link you provided, though not the list of abstracts because it was late and I had a date with my bed and Ru Paul; much of it was all speculative correlation. Which isn't causation. Not even close.