Proccessed Foods

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I went to TJ's yesterday and they are selling cauliflower rice and broccoli rice (I thought the latter was a cool idea, but I generally won't pay extra for pre-cut and have way too many vegetables I need to eat up in my refrigerator as is). The reason I mention this is that I keep mentioning that it's possible to easily make your own "cauliflower rice" if one wants to with a food processor. If something is made in a food processor, it seems to me it's processed, so pre cut veg in a bag similarly seem to me to be processed.

But in any case, cooking is the main form of processing that we probably all employ.

Yogurt is altered from a natural whole state, so is dried pasta, so are smoked or cured or pickled foods.

I mention this, because again being processed says nothing about whether a particular food has high calories, high levels of added sugar or fat, or, of course, any particular "additives."
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Premade broccoli rice is in theory a cool thing, but in reality, they don't peel the stem and you get woody bits that make me gag. I'd never buy it. That's also the reason I don't buy pre-made broccoli slaw. I'm pretty picky about broccoli and won't even buy frozen "broccoli cuts" because I don't want woody stems.

I love the broccoli stem, and if I want it, I'll buy fresh and "process" my own.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    When you hear the words processed foods what comes to mind. Food processing or package processing?
    If you're not pulling it from the ground, picking it from a tree or vine, or butchering your own meat all from your own confines making sure that you didn't use any chemicals on them, then every packaged or commercially grown product goes through some chemical processing to make sure it's safe for consumption.
    To think that any food or drink comes totally untouched by any chemicals if sold on commercial market would be naive.
    If you're talking WHOLE foods, that's different than packaged or pre prepared foods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    rakeru19 wrote: »
    I think about food processing, something that has been altered where it's no longer one ingredient (i.e: veggies, fruits, meats, cereals, legumes, etc) instead it's in a package and has ingredient and nutritional content
    Um many cereals are processed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I think "processed has absolutely no association with the healthiness"
    THIS.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Premade broccoli rice is in theory a cool thing, but in reality, they don't peel the stem and you get woody bits that make me gag. I'd never buy it. That's also the reason I don't buy pre-made broccoli slaw. I'm pretty picky about broccoli and won't even buy frozen "broccoli cuts" because I don't want woody stems.

I love the broccoli stem, and if I want it, I'll buy fresh and "process" my own.

I am thinking about making my own broccoli rice with the stem. For some reason that appeals more than cauliflower rice.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

On the other hand, I LOVE purchased broccoli slaw and don't find it "woody", just that is stays crispy when I make things like Moo Shu chicken or lettuce wraps. I won't buy frozen cuts either, I buy the florets.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

On the other hand, I LOVE purchased broccoli slaw and don't find it "woody", just that is stays crispy when I make things like Moo Shu chicken or lettuce wraps. I won't buy frozen cuts either, I buy the florets.

Oh, it's just me being afraid of getting woody bits that prevents me from buying broccoli slaw. In theory, I'd love it for stir frys!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Compounded on this @ninerbuff there are some pervasive man-made chemicals that are now in everything, because of their native stability. That is, once they get in to the environment, they keep moving through the food chain...forever. This includes DDT, dioxin, and PCB's.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Generally, I think of processed foods as those primarily in the center of the grocery store (things in boxes and cans) and whole foods as those around the edges of the store (fresh or frozen produce, fresh/frozen meat and fish, fresh dairy products and eggs, etc.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Generally, I think of processed foods as those primarily in the center of the grocery store (things in boxes and cans) and whole foods as those around the edges of the store (fresh or frozen produce, fresh/frozen meat and fish, fresh dairy products and eggs, etc.)

I am always perplexed at this general assumption that all grocery stores are laid out the same. My neighborhood store starts with sale items on the perimeter (usually things like soup, boxed dinners, juice boxes, cereal, and chips) before moving to produce, the bakery (including both store baked and brand name baked goods), assorted prepared foods, the deli counter, meat counter, frozen foods like corn dogs, chicken nuggets, and veggie/meat substitutes; dairy, pharmacy, and then personal care items.

Even the same grocery chain in my town has each store laid out slightly differently.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Seitan... is it "Say-tan" or "Sy-tan"? Serious question; I use it, but I've never actually heard its name spoken and I'd hate to get strange looks when people think I'm saying I consume the lord of the underworld if I'm mispronouncing it...

FYI, correct pronunciation defined by the Oxford English dictionary is "Say-ten"... Satan. Had to go look that one up.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Oh how I WISH this was true for all supermarkets ;)
    That would make sandwiches, the entire bakery section and wine unprocessed foods in my local Tesco.
    As well as fruit and veg and, um, toilet paper.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Ice cream and booze live on the perimeters of our supermarkets.... *whistles* :laugh:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Ice cream and booze live on the perimeters of our supermarkets.... *whistles* :laugh:

Shopping the perimeters would result in mea in eating really really clean (that's where dish soap and bleach are), but at least I get to indulge is a fine selection of cheeses for my cheat meal.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The Bob's Red Mill grains, etc. are in the middle aisles at my supermarket. Which is closer than the nearest health food store and the nearest bulk store. Oh and the fake vegetarian meats are generally in the produce section along the wall...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK, here's a practical question. I'm curious about the responses. No right or wrong answers.

Mrs. Jruzer brought home some of these chips. They are pretty tasty. Check out this part of the label:

1aeax73021ak.jpeg

So here's my question. Are these "real, whole foods?" Are these processed foods? Where's the line?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    OK, here's a practical question. I'm curious about the responses. No right or wrong answers.

Mrs. Jruzer brought home some of these chips. They are pretty tasty. Check out this part of the label:

1aeax73021ak.jpeg

So here's my question. Are these "real, whole foods?" Are these processed foods? Where's the line?

I wouldn't consider it a whole food. Ground flour/grains and oils are not whole. It looks like the flax seeds are whole, which would make that ingredient a whole food but in that case ground would be better.