Proccessed Foods

Options
1234568»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    OK, here's a practical question. I'm curious about the responses. No right or wrong answers.

Mrs. Jruzer brought home some of these chips. They are pretty tasty. Check out this part of the label:

1aeax73021ak.jpeg

So here's my question. Are these "real, whole foods?" Are these processed foods? Where's the line?

I'm assuming this is playing to the audience who thinks anything enjoyable in a box must be bad for you. We have these little fruity cocoa bite things now in the aisle with the snack nuts touting themselves as a better alternative to chocolate. And I get less volume for my calorie buck. People love a bit of clever marketing.

I got to a few supermarkets, in some I'd be living on kitchenware and clothes. Boy are those stretch jeans tasty.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK, here's a practical question. I'm curious about the responses. No right or wrong answers.

Mrs. Jruzer brought home some of these chips. They are pretty tasty. Check out this part of the label:

1aeax73021ak.jpeg

So here's my question. Are these "real, whole foods?" Are these processed foods? Where's the line?

I'm assuming this is playing to the audience who thinks anything enjoyable in a box must be bad for you. We have these little fruity cocoa bite things now in the aisle with the snack nuts touting themselves as a better alternative to chocolate. And I get less volume for my calorie buck. People love a bit of clever marketing.

I got to a few supermarkets, in some I'd be living on kitchenware and clothes. Boy are those stretch jeans tasty.

Yes, to my mind this is more or less marketing. I just think it's ironic that tortilla chips, one of the bugaboos of the anti-processed-food movement, are touted as being "whole foods". Rather than ironic, though, I'd say it's clever.

As I said, though, they are pretty good. I like them better than standard tortilla chips.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

1aeax73021ak.jpeg

I wouldn't consider it a whole food. Ground flour/grains and oils are not whole. It looks like the flax seeds are whole, which would make that ingredient a whole food but in that case ground would be better.

I agree with your assessment. They do have whole seeds embedded in the chips.