Tips & Tricks: Food Hacks

Options

Replies

• Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like to put riced cauliflower and egg whites in my oats for tons of volume! It also helps to keep carbs lower and protein higher... but mostly volume.

Ingredients:
    1/3 cup oats
    85 g riced cauliflower
    cinnamon
    pinch of salt

Cover with water and microwave 3 min. Stir. Microwave again 3 min.

Add:
    100g egg whites (2 egg whites)
    1 tbs peanut butter
    sweetener

Microwave 1 min at a time stirring in-between until it reaches desired consistency. Mix in 140 g (1 cup) frozen blueberries.

YUM
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also like to make a Chipotle type bowl using riced cauliflower in stead of rice and greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

Ingredients:
    - 170g riced cauliflower
    - 150g chopped bell pepper
    - 1 bouillon cube
    - 1 tsp cumin

- 4 oz seasoned chicken breast (pre cooked)
    - 1 oz fat free cheese (or regular fat cheese)
    - 1/2 cup salsa
    - 1/4 cup greek yogurt
    - avocado?

Directions: In a pan, cook cauliflower and pepper until browned. Mix bullion cub and cumin in hot water and pour over rice and peppers. Cook until water has evaporated. Brown chicken on pan. Throw everything into a bowl.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    missh1967 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    my point is this...what is the drive for volume eating...seriously.

to me it sounds disordered...I mean I eat 2 peaches in one sitting but it's 160 grams...not a whole lot (small peaches) but 4 plates of filling carbs...wow...

again why? and note my quote says "needs" not wants...

Not disordered. Different things satisfy different people. If you want to be nitpicky, I suppose we could classify everyone here as being somewhat disordered with food. After all, we're here because we need to lose and/or maintain our weight. And my volume is certainly different than someone else's. Four huge plates of pasta would be too much for me, but I definitely prefer more than a serving or two.

I think you're being a bit judgmental, and I get that. I tend to be judgmental towards low carb and keto ways of eating, but I have learned that everyone is different and responds differently to a particular way of eating.

not trying to be nitpicky at all tho...

not everyone here can be seen as disordered because we are on MFP I am in maintenance and have been for over 3 years...I used this site to lose weight I don't see how that is disordered...

I am not trying to be judgemental tho either I am seriously wondering and expressing a valid opinion on the subject.

To me wanting to eat vast quantities of food in one sitting is foreign and really just trying to understand it...

I have 4 brothers, a husband and a son (all big men) and none of them are volume eaters so you can see why it's foreign to me.

I'm fairly small (5'5", 120s) older (61) woman, and a volume eater. Just like some people are satiated by "extra" "unnecessary" amounts of protein or fat, some of us are satiated by volume - often, for me, that's plenty of nutritious, delicious, high fiber veggies.

What could possibly be wrong with that, within my calorie limit?

I don't really know why it's satiating for me. Do people who are satiated by fat, protein, oatmeal or apples know why they find those satiating?

I absolutely admit that I find (good) food tasty, that tastiness is pleasurable, and that I want as much pleasure as practical . . . y'know, as long as no one gets hurt. ;) But I think hedonism is not why volume is satiating for me. It just is.

Do I "need" it in some biological sense? No. But I don't think it's immoral or unethical to choose to spend X calories on eggplant and summer squash rather than on bread and butter.

This isn't necessarily a matter of maximizing volume to the exclusion of all other considerations, either, any more than people satiated by fat are just going to drink only a big slug of olive oil every day for every meal. It's one factor. For me, calorie goal and balanced nutrition are higher priorities.

FWIW, your initial comment did come across as judgemental - "seriously who needs to eat 4 big plates of anything?", "to me it sounds disordered" - and far from "really just trying to understand it". I'm not thin-skinned enough to feel wounded by that, however - LOL.

All of this. Then again, you can pretty much speak for me on just about any topic.

I know for me in particular, this is also an issue as to what macro mix satiates me. I don't find fat satiating. I do find a certain level of carbs (after getting my protein needs met, of course) to be so. That level of carbs necessitates volume.

I don't think the volume is VAST, but it's not bird-like, either. I do tend, on many occasions, to eat more, volume-wise, than my husband. His food, however, is much more calorically dense than mine is.

What I can put down pales in comparison to my teenage son, so there's that. :wink:
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    I also like to make a Chipotle type bowl using riced cauliflower in stead of rice and greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

Ingredients:
    - 170g riced cauliflower
    - 150g chopped bell pepper
    - 1 bouillon cube
    - 1 tsp cumin

- 4 oz seasoned chicken breast (pre cooked)
    - 1 oz fat free cheese (or regular fat cheese)
    - 1/2 cup salsa
    - 1/4 cup greek yogurt
    - avocado?

Directions: In a pan, cook cauliflower and pepper until browned. Mix bullion cub and cumin in hot water and pour over rice and peppers. Cook until water has evaporated. Brown chicken on pan. Throw everything into a bowl.

Will check these out :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Loool I just like eating large volumes of food and enjoy food hacks XD Don't see why it's supposedly wrong for me to have my own low calorie recipes because I like eating a big meal. Sometimes it's not just about working hard, it's about working smart. Regarding 3 junior chickens to reach my calorie count... as much as it tastes amazing, it's loaded with sugars, sodium, and sauces to make you even hungrier. That's why I mix it with water and don't eat it all the time ;)

maybe those things make YOU hungrier, but that is not true for everyone...and are we really doing to start with "the food companies are making things to make us hungrier to buy more of their stuff, argument?"
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just eat the foods you enjoy and fit them into your calorie, micro, macro allotment. No need for hacks, cheats, etc...

Yeah that's not always doable unfortunately. On a typical day, eating what I enjoy, I can reach 2500 calories easily, and on an active day my TDEE is around 2400.

That's a control issue not a caloric one...

I agree, but sometimes if I'm craving mcdonalds, 3 junior chickens, fries, and water is just enough to hit my calorie count for the day (close to 1500). Personally, i have the self-control to do this. However, 6-calorie jello, diet soda (aspartame-free), 4 plates of zucchini noodles, with 50 small shrimps and spices, shredded low-calorie mozzarella, a medium plate of skinny pop popcorn, a 20-calorie popsicle, and a fiber one bar is much more filling and tastes pretty damn good. It's also less than a 1000 calories btw. Just saying XD

Well you could just have one junior chicken (what is it anyway?) instead of 3.

Just eat the foods you enjoy and fit them into your calorie, micro, macro allotment. No need for hacks, cheats, etc...

Yeah that's not always doable unfortunately. On a typical day, eating what I enjoy, I can reach 2500 calories easily, and on an active day my TDEE is around 2400.

No, not really. When you really want cheesecake, unless you're a weirdo who's actually satisfied with a couple bites, good luck fitting 800+ non filling calories in your day if you're on a 1400 calories meal plan (even only 400 calories of cheesecake really isn't a big serving, lol).

That's what bothers me about the 'eat what you want within your calories'. It's just impossible to do for some people, because they only like high calorie foods that are not necessarily filling. Sometimes, a diet change IS necessary.

if you can't eat a small piece of cheesecake and be satisfied with it then yes, that is a control issue...sorry, but that is the truth...

nice straw man argument about fitting in 800 non filling calories into a 1400 calorie day. When people say eat what you like, it means meet your other goals first and then eat what you like with the REMAINING calories...

I find cheesecake very filling for the calories (maybe all that fat is a satiety key for me ;)?)

If I ate 800 calories of cheesecake for breakfast, I'm probably still full by lunch and can have all the zucchini and shrimp that I want for dinner :P ;)

Yup. Cheesecake is the golden trifecta of protein, carbs and fat. I need all three to be satisfied but an 800 calorie slab of cheesecake would keep me going for a while, especially if eaten with a side of coffee.

I am not a fan of the zucchini pasta though. It's nothing like pasta to me and my tastebuds. I don't even eat pasta all that often but I wouldn't be happy with the zucchini instead. Now zucchini as part of a sauce for pasta sure. That's a way to pad out pasta, with a veg heavy sauce.

And cauliflower in sweet oatmeal? Now I'm really weirded out, ha!

I do love PB2 in my porridge though, a full 13g serving with my 30g of oats really adds volume. I then add 20g of strawberry jam for my patent pending PB&J porridge.

I do the zucchini strands in with the pasta instead of in the sauce, and saying that, it's just a texture thing. Depending on the shape of pasta I'm eating, it could be in the sauce.

I'm not really into saucy sauces for pasta, mine are more a melange of sauteed veggies anyway... onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes.

The one thing I've never done is have the zucchini all by itself and called it a pasta meal.

I have eaten spaghetti squash all by itself, but not as a "pasta" dish. I normally have that with cottage cheese.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I agree, but sometimes if I'm craving mcdonalds, 3 junior chickens, fries, and water is just enough to hit my calorie count for the day (close to 1500). Personally, i have the self-control to do this. However, 6-calorie jello, diet soda (aspartame-free), 4 plates of zucchini noodles, with 50 small shrimps and spices, shredded low-calorie mozzarella, a medium plate of skinny pop popcorn, a 20-calorie popsicle, and a fiber one bar is much more filling and tastes pretty damn good. It's also less than a 1000 calories btw. Just saying XD

No, not really. When you really want cheesecake, unless you're a weirdo who's actually satisfied with a couple bites, good luck fitting 800+ non filling calories in your day if you're on a 1400 calories meal plan (even only 400 calories of cheesecake really isn't a big serving, lol).

That's what bothers me about the 'eat what you want within your calories'. It's just impossible to do for some people, because they only like high calorie foods that are not necessarily filling. Sometimes, a diet change IS necessary.

if you can't eat a small piece of cheesecake and be satisfied with it then yes, that is a control issue...sorry, but that is the truth...

nice straw man argument about fitting in 800 non filling calories into a 1400 calorie day. When people say eat what you like, it means meet your other goals first and then eat what you like with the REMAINING calories...

I find cheesecake very filling for the calories (maybe all that fat is a satiety key for me ;)?)

If I ate 800 calories of cheesecake for breakfast, I'm probably still full by lunch and can have all the zucchini and shrimp that I want for dinner :P ;)

Yup. Cheesecake is the golden trifecta of protein, carbs and fat. I need all three to be satisfied but an 800 calorie slab of cheesecake would keep me going for a while, especially if eaten with a side of coffee.

I am not a fan of the zucchini pasta though. It's nothing like pasta to me and my tastebuds. I don't even eat pasta all that often but I wouldn't be happy with the zucchini instead. Now zucchini as part of a sauce for pasta sure. That's a way to pad out pasta, with a veg heavy sauce.

I do love PB2 in my porridge though, a full 13g serving with my 30g of oats really adds volume. I then add 20g of strawberry jam for my patent pending PB&J porridge.

I make peanutbutter chocolate cheesecake pudding :D Cottage cheese, Protein powder, PB2 and fat free chocolate pudding mix. So damn satisfying at 250 calories a serving... i eat it almost every day lol.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

I make peanutbutter chocolate cheesecake pudding :D Cottage cheese, Protein powder, PB2 and fat free chocolate pudding mix. So damn satisfying at 250 calories a serving... i eat it almost every day lol.

I am usually pretty good with fat free stuff, but fat free pudding mix and I do not get along. I can't get past the taste.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I do the zucchini strands in with the pasta instead of in the sauce, and saying that, it's just a texture thing. Depending on the shape of pasta I'm eating, it could be in the sauce.

I'm not really into saucy sauces for pasta, mine are more a melange of sauteed veggies anyway... onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes.

The one thing I've never done is have the zucchini all by itself and called it a pasta meal.

I have eaten spaghetti squash all by itself, but not as a "pasta" dish. I normally have that with cottage cheese.

I'm not a huge saucy sauce person either, I would have it just coat the pasta and no more really. Unless it's a really good ragu.

My favourite actually is sliced zucchini, garlic, onion, chilli or chilli flakes, whatever I have, sauteed in olive oil, tossed in pasta, parmesan to taste.

Of course I used to make this absolutely drowning in olive oil, so I've had to sacrifice that splurge.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

I am usually pretty good with fat free stuff, but fat free pudding mix and I do not get along. I can't get past the taste.

bet itd work just fine without :p The cottage cheese and pb2 and protein powders would likely blend in with it and hide it though. Yummy since i LOVE cheesecake haha
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't know about portobello buns, but grilled portobello instead of burgers are AMAZING!

Grilled Portobello with the burger is amazing too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

bet itd work just fine without :p The cottage cheese and pb2 and protein powders would likely blend in with it and hide it though. Yummy since i LOVE cheesecake haha

Gotta admit that PB2, cottage cheese, and protein powder sounds like a good combo.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

I'm not a huge saucy sauce person either, I would have it just coat the pasta and no more really. Unless it's a really good ragu.

My favourite actually is sliced zucchini, garlic, onion, chilli or chilli flakes, whatever I have, sauteed in olive oil, tossed in pasta, parmesan to taste.

Of course I used to make this absolutely drowning in olive oil, so I've had to sacrifice that splurge.

Yes, that was my downfall in the old days. I used to go through indecent amounts of olive oil.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited August 2017
    Options

Gotta admit that PB2, cottage cheese, and protein powder sounds like a good combo.

Lemme know if you ever try it, Its super creamy and smooth, I add just a little water until its the right consistency. I even once made a carrot cake version that was really good with cottage cheese vanilla protein powder ground carrot cinnamon and dates. I think cottage cheese is very under rated sadly lol its so diverse XD

Edit just to complain- Im on 2 weeks warning and this "you cant post yet-were going to reset your timer" is driving me up the wall
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Cottage cheese is never under rated when it comes to me. It's one of my top favorite foods.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll just made my pudding with no pudding mix, Its quite delicious and creamy XD put some dark chocolate chips on top and you have full on dessert for around 250 cals with 32g protein lol
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll just made my pudding with no pudding mix, Its quite delicious and creamy XD put some dark chocolate chips on top and you have full on dessert for around 250 cals with 32g protein lol

Sounds tasty. I might give it a try one of these days if I ever get tired of protein ice cream (see the volume eaters thread for that recipe.)