If my fiance brings home one more package of Oreo's, I might go full-rage.

Options

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too much to ask him to put them somewhere "out of sight out of mind". Do you go to bed at different times? You could always ask him to eat them when you're asleep or not home!
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    Have you tried popsicles or sugar-free fruit jello snack packs? The jello is only 6-calories for the whole cup and taste the same as normal jello. The popsicles are also only 20 calories a stick. They taste good and fill you up pretty well if you mix in some water when you're craving a lot. There's the health concern, but just exercise self-control and you're good.
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Have you tried popsicles or sugar-free fruit jello snack packs? The jello is only 6-calories for the whole cup and taste the same as normal jello. The popsicles are also only 20 calories a stick. They taste good and fill you up pretty well if you mix in some water when you're craving a lot. There's the health concern, but just exercise self-control and you're good.

I cannot tell a lie - I effing LOVE Jello. I'm a huge proponent of clean eating, but seriously, Jello holds such nostalgia for me as an after-school snack when I was a kid. I haven't had it in a long time, but now I want to run down to the store and buy a box of strawberry jello and slice peaches and bananas into it just the way my mom used to. :)<3
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    _NicLovin_ wrote: »
    katadx wrote: »
    I don't think it's too much to ask him to put them somewhere "out of sight out of mind". Do you go to bed at different times? You could always ask him to eat them when you're asleep or not home!

He put them up on this really high shelf last night, which is perfect, because I'm really short and we don't have a step-ladder. :)

It must be love <3
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with suggesting to your guy that he have some sort of cabinet for all the goodies he wants that you'd rather avoid. That way you're not trying to change his lifestyle, just your exposure to things you have a hard time moderating, or are avoiding for whatever reason.

I did Whole30 and actually loved it. I discovered certain things that I have sensitivities to, and during that month I felt better than I had ever felt. I slept great, had more energy, my mood improved, no headaches, no heartburn, no stomach issues- all things I had been living with for years. I also lost weight but when I think back to my experience with Whole 30, what stands out to me the most is how I felt, not the weight loss- that was just an added bonus.

I also found lots of healthier and/or lower-cal alternatives to certain foods- alternatives I actually really liked! I fully agree with "everything in moderation" but hey, if I am 100% happy with a healthier or lower-cal version of something, why not stick with it? Some of those recipes I still make regularly, and I still search for Whole30 and paleo recipes because I love some of the ingredients commonly found in those recipes, like coconut milk. Although I do eat everything in moderation now, my overall diet includes a lot more fruit, veggies, and lean protein than it did before I tried cutting out pasta, rice, and bread for a month. Not that those things are bad- they're great! But I am more full and more satisfied when I limit those things, and I can eat more without going over my cals. Yes, I could have discovered these things without Whole30 but for me, it was a good catalyst to make that happen. I chose to view Whole30 as a fun challenge; I chose to use it as a time to experiment with recipes. So, I wasn't miserable. And if I wasn't miserable and actually enjoyed it, I don't think it's bad that I did it. I even hosted a BBQ and everyone raved about how great the food was, so my social life didn't suffer either!

Sorry if I derailed the conversation, but because I understand the reasons someone might want to try Whole30 (like anything, it's not for everyone), I wanted to offer another perspective on it. No, it's not meant as a quick weight loss gimmick. It's not sustainable for most people for a lifetime. BUT things can be learned from it, whether it's a sensitivity to dairy or an awesome recipe for a low-cal dessert, and some good habits CAN be kept for a lifetime.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I cannot tell a lie - I effing LOVE Jello. I'm a huge proponent of clean eating, but seriously, Jello holds such nostalgia for me as an after-school snack when I was a kid. I haven't had it in a long time, but now I want to run down to the store and buy a box of strawberry jello and slice peaches and bananas into it just the way my mom used to. :)<3

Just do it.

I 96 gram snack of Strawberry Jello is a measly 70 calories.

Sugar is sugar, whether it's in a box or from a tree (it's actually all from plants).

"Clean eating" is bunk, btw.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/11/why-we-fell-for-clean-eating

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Tell him you read an article about how Oreos have been found to cause impotency... Lol
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    Tell him you read an article about how Oreos has been found to cause impotence... Lol

Hahaha. Absolutely the first thing I'll do when he gets home today. No segue, just "Oreo's will make you a Limpy Larry. Just saying."
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I feckin' hate Oreos. I'd punch my husband in the face if he ever brought them home. Screw if they're for him or friends. Oreos are the devil in my house.
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    If he ever brought these home, we would never have a problem - this looks disgusting!

8aqpf34yc1rf.jpg
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    If he ever brought these home, we would never have a problem - this looks disgusting!

8aqpf34yc1rf.jpg

Those look delicious.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You'll just have to deal with the fact that he can eat more. But it doesn't seem too much to ask that he keep his cookies somewhere other than the pantry. Does he give a reason for not doing it? Seems a rather simple request.
  • _NicLovin_
    Options

8aqpf34yc1rf.jpg

Those look delicious.

I tried chocolate covered bacon once at this local confectionary shop, but it was a little too intense for me. That being said, we have this restaurant in town called Nosh, and they sometimes do a dessert of maple ice cream with little nibs of chocolate covered bacon sprinkled on top. That was pretty tasty, so I think I liked it much more as a garnish instead of a stand-alone item. :)

My dad would go nuts for these bacon flavored Oreo's though, I'm sure. He loves novelty stuff like that. Tabasco flavored jelly beans, Dill pickle flavored candy canes... lol...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

8aqpf34yc1rf.jpg

Those look delicious.

I tried chocolate covered bacon once at this local confectionary shop, but it was a little too intense for me. That being said, we have this restaurant in town called Nosh, and they sometimes do a dessert of maple ice cream with little nibs of chocolate covered bacon sprinkled on top. That was pretty tasty, so I think I liked it much more as a garnish instead of a stand-alone item. :)

My dad would go nuts for these bacon flavored Oreo's though, I'm sure. He loves novelty stuff like that. Tabasco flavored jelly beans, Dill pickle flavored candy canes... lol...

I'm a huge fan of sweet mixed with savory. So those are right up my alley.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I live with my two children. When I started counted calories last year, I stopped buying the sweets and junk food that I bought for years. About a month into this, my then 10 year old son got upset and asked me how it was fair that he and his sister had to suffer by not having treats just because I needed to lose weight. You know what? I thought about it and decided he was absolutely right. While I don't buy the quantities that I used to, I buy them "junk" to have in moderation. I just don't eat those things. Having said that, I won't buy my old favorites either such as Chunky Monkey ice cream, Tostitos tortilla chips, dark chocolate peanut butter cups etc... Just last week my son asked me to buy the Trader Joes dark chocolate peanut butter cups (I used to buy them all the time), and I had to say no. I know that it would be very hard for me to stay away from those. I told him that I learned that they were just too unhealthy to buy (those little bites of deliciousness are loaded with calories), but the true reason was me. lol.

OTOH- Not necessarily a bad idea for them to get used to that stuff not always being in the house, but to view them truly as the "sometimes foods" (as they apparently call them when trying to teach simple nutrition to children) you have occasionally (rather than at least once every day). ..Instead stopping at the ice cream stand during a bike ride or the bodega for a candy bar if out for a walk or a day of shopping (ie more of a special occasional treat). The older generations (whose population wasn't largely overweight) can chime in here if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing these types of hyper-palatable calorie-dense items weren't available back then with remotely near the daily+ frequency that our generations have come to expect.

I dunno about the older generation being any better, a lot of my grandma's recipes start with "add two heaping tablespoons bacon fat".....
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I just saw a commercial for Oreo thins - I might have to try them!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    No... They... Didn't...
    oreo-cookies-made-organic-flour-and-sugar_strange-eco-friendly-product-claims.jpg