For those confused or questioning "Eating your exercise calo

Options

Replies

• Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't think that eating the exercise calories made sense.. I thought it would just defeat the purpose of working out. :grumble: No wonder I'm always hungry! Thank you for putting the time into that, it really helps. :drinker: Bumped! :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • SunnyInBuffalo
    Options
    This is so very helpful !
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    bump:bigsmile:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    :wink:
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just need to convince myself that I really WON'T lose more if I eat less!!!!!!!!! I WILL LOSE MY LAST 10!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    bimp
  • Steffykins
    Steffykins Posts: 176
    Options
    I walk or jog everyday to Uni so I usually burn about 300 extra calories which, on top of my 1200 calories a day allowance means can eat 1500 calories a day.

This is going to sound ridiculous, but I find it really hard to eat that
    many calories in a day! I eat healthily, getting loads of fruit and veg and stuff so is eating below my allowance going to do a lot of damage to my weight loss?
  • banks1850
    Options
    I walk or jog everyday to Uni so I usually burn about 300 extra calories which, on top of my 1200 calories a day allowance means can eat 1500 calories a day.

many calories in a day! I eat healthily, getting loads of fruit and veg and stuff so is eating below my allowance going to do a lot of damage to my weight loss?

It's quite possible it will. What did you set your goal at? (I.E. did you set it at 2 lbs, or 1.5lbs ...etc per week)
  • Steffykins
    Options

It's quite possible it will. What did you set your goal at? (I.E. did you set it at 2 lbs, or 1.5lbs ...etc per week)

I weigh around 140 pounds at the minute and set my goal at 2lbs a week.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I weigh around 140 pounds at the minute and set my goal at 2lbs a week.

So essentially, if you don't eat that 300 calories, you are setting your weekly goal at 2.65 lbs. This is too aggressive IMHO. Unless you are under 5 feet tall and have a slim build you are starving yourself.

I can say with a high degree of confidence that you are sabotaging any chance you have by doing this, as a matter of fact, you are probably being too aggressive even with 2 lbs a week. Check these posts out, they should help to understand why a little better:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Steffykins
    Options
    OK thanks for info!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Im trying to understand this so I am supposed to eat the calories that I burn- AHH this is so frustrating i am already watching what I eat like a hulk.. I just want to lose weight- they never tell you that you need to eat what you burn in calories they just say cut your calories and workout- well Im doing that and not seeing the results except a sore body- but then again i am sleeping better with more energy too bad Im still the same weight--:grumble:
    but thanks for the info-
  • banks1850
    Options
    Im trying to understand this so I am supposed to eat the calories that I burn- AHH this is so frustrating i am already watching what I eat like a hulk.. I just want to lose weight- they never tell you that you need to eat what you burn in calories they just say cut your calories and workout- well Im doing that and not seeing the results except a sore body- but then again i am sleeping better with more energy too bad Im still the same weight--:grumble:
    but thanks for the info-

read the 2 links I posted above, they should help with your understanding. Just like eating too many calories, eating too few will screw up your body chemistry and cause you to not lose weight correctly. Also, seeing your profile, you don't have a ton to lose. I don't know what you set your goals at, but weight loss when you are already in a normal weight range is going to be extremely slow, somewhere on the oder of 1/2 to 1/4 pound a week, so I don't know how long you have been working with this program, but it's going to take months to lose a significant amount. You have to be resigned to this. This site isn't a "get rich quick" type of site, we are trying to help eachother become more healthy. And that means recommending the right way to do it. Which also means slow and steady. Are there crash diets out there that may cause you too lose faster? Sure, do they work? Sure. But many are dangerous and all are (to some degree), unhealthy. Not only do I not recommend them, I loath people who use them because they are the same type of people that drive in the breakdown lane and cut in line at checkout.

hope this helps
    -Banks
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bump, Bump!!!!:happy:
    Took a while for me to believe you eat to lose, but its SOOO true. So for all you non-believers have a leap of faith and try it, it works!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    bump a roni the san francisco treat
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    :smooched:
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    bump
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Banks, that was really interesting info, thanks for posting it. Not that I need convincing, in fact I was horrified when the site said I needed to restrict my calories to 1200 a day just to lose 1/2 lb a week :laugh: So I've had to up my exercise just to stay within my calorie limit, I'm now eating between 1300 calories (for days when I don't do any extra exercise other than walking to work) and 1550 calories a day. I've even been struggling to stick to this amount - I've been following the South Beach diet since March (and have lost about 5 pounds) and when I put the recommended amount into my food diary to see how it fitted, I was about double my calories! I'm not sure how I lost weight in that case, but I think I must have either been eating under the allowance, or I hadn't worked it out properly :laugh: So I've had to tweak it considerably, but I'm happy with what I'm eating now. But without my lovely extra 'exercise calories' I think I would either be very hungry or very bored! So thanks for confirming that, not only is it ok to eat these calories, it is actually essential.