For those confused or questioning "Eating your exercise calo

Options

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Bump! thanks for this information. I just joined this website. The past days I have not been eating my work out calories, thinking that will help me lose weight, since I am working out more than I am eating.

So, the article was very helpful!

Thank you!

This makes me smile. :happy:

Glad it helped you!
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for scientific data.
  • banks1850
    Options

Really not sure what data you were looking for since you didn't ask a
    specific question but here are some resources that I used. Some I used for the post,
    others I just find relevant.

-N Engl J Med 2003; Volume 348:2057-2058, May 22, 2003
    "Diet, Obesity, and Cardiovascular Risk"
    Robert O. Bonow, M.D., and Robert H. Eckel, M.D.

- mayo clinic articles
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/obesity/DS00314
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fast-weight-loss/AN01621

Other articles and resources on line
    http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/physical.htm
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1615889?dopt=Abstract
    http://www.uticaod.com/archive/x1126214457

I'm not sure what scientific data you were looking for, but there was plenty in those articles, including numerous references to both university and medical organization studies.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    bumpin'
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you Banks, I really appreciate you doing all this research for our benefit, and I'm sure most of the other members of this site feel the same :happy:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Bump! :tongue:

This.
    This is.
    This is how.
    This is how to.
    This is how to keep.
    This is how to keep track.
    This is how to keep track of.
    This is how to keep track of this.
    This is how to keep track of this page.

:laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

specific question but here are some resources that I used. Some I used for the post,

- mayo clinic articles

I'm not sure what scientific data you were looking for, but there was plenty in those articles, including numerous references to both university and medical organization studies.

And mine just came from my ex phys text:

Katch, V., Katch, F., & Mc Ardle, W. (2006). Essentials of exercise physiology. 3rd ed. Baltimore.

Anything else comes from:

Bachle, T., & Earle, R. (2000). National Strength and Conditioning Association: Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. 2nd ed. Champaign, IL.

Whaley, M., Brubaker, P., & Otto, R (Ed.). (2006). ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription. 7th ed. Baltimore.

(APA format, I hate you, and I never do you right :grumble:).

And the University of South Australia's wonderful Metabolism Modules on Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrate, which can be found at www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au.
  • maverickyanda
    Options

- mayo clinic articles

I've said this on numerous occasions, Banks -- When someone can prove that eating your exercise calories makes you lose weight better than those who don't, not only will I do it, but I'll say you were right!

'Tis all!
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    Banks, you can't just give a link to the Mayo Clinic's website that explains metabolism (sort of) and say it's citing your cause.

*sigh*

"Weight gain is more likely due to an energy imbalance — consuming more calories than your body burns. To lose weight, then, you need to create an energy deficit by eating fewer calories, increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity, or preferably both."

...that doesn't prove your claim!
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options

I've said this on numerous occasions, Banks -- When someone can prove that eating your exercise calories makes you lose weight better than those who don't, not only will I do it, but I'll say you were right!

'Tis all!

Taking out all the scientific mumbo jumbo...

I think its pretty simple. If you are suppose to eat 1500 calories a day, and you exercise hard for 2 hours a day for 1000 calories, and you only eat the 1350 (for the 10%) loss... You can see that what is coming out isnt whats going in. Your body is going to panick cause it doesnt have enough energy to fuel everything.

Your either going to start storing fat.
    Make your body NOT want to build muscle.
    Or, your going to feel lathergic the next day and not be able to anything in the exercise department.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    'Tis all!
    [/quote]

Seems to me the "proof" is on this site.......people who have lost weight with this method and are supporting and sharing their information with others.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    This is the way I think of it, it doesnt really need any data... its just common sense. When you enter your data into MFP, it generates a specific caloric intake that will allow you to lose your goal amount per week. This number is calculated based on regular daily activity and does not include any excercising. When you excercise, you burn extra calories. If you choose not to eat those calories your deficit will be larger than the deficit MFP provided you with. In many cases, especially for those of us that work out often, this deficit becomes TOO large, and puts our bodies at risk of being UNDERfed. I'm not saying everyone HAS to eat their excercise calories, Banks has just generously provided this information explaining why it is recommended. If anyone chooses not to do this that is their own choice.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the whole scientific thing...But I eat my exercise calories and I'm still losing. :smile: Just workin on the toning now :happy:

7047.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • banks1850
    Options
    Banks, you can't just give a link to the Mayo Clinic's website that explains metabolism (sort of) and say it's citing your cause.

*sigh*

"Weight gain is more likely due to an energy imbalance — consuming more calories than your body burns. To lose weight, then, you need to create an energy deficit by eating fewer calories, increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity, or preferably both."

First, I most certainly CAN state that as I'm not trying to prove the theory of metabolism to you, as it is already a proven fact, if you want to learn about the metabolism, go find an Anatomy and Physiology book but don't try to FLAME on me! Second, It's obvious to me you didn't read my initial post, because your second paragraph basically says the same thing as it. I just go into more depth then that to try to explain WHY it happens.
    I find it amusing that you call what I wrote a "claim"; I didn't claim anything in that post. I just summarized generally accepted theories. You want to fight the establishment about how the metabolism works, go right ahead, but I'm not who you should be "trying" to discredit, go fight the USDA, NEJOM, and most major Health organizations if you want to change the way the human metabolic process is described.
    Personally, I think you skimmed this post, read the title, and decided you didn't agree. Just my opinion, but what you stated tends to lean toward it in my opinion.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I'm hesitant to jump in here but what the heck

Maybe you're misunderstanding--No one is talking about eating more than what your body burns in a day. What is being referred to here is that if someone has already cut down their caloric intake to below their daily basal metabolic rate to create a calorie deficit, then even if they don't exercise they will lost weight.

So, if you add exercise on top of that, you are creating even more of a daily caloric deficit by now burning up even more of the calories that you have eaten. Thereby, reducing the amount of caloric energy available to your body to function.

Most people seem to reduce their caloric intake to 1200 a day when trying to lose weight--even though for most people that is too large a deficit. But....if they then exercise and burn up, say, 300 calories, now they are only giving their body a total of 900 calories to function that day. And that ain't good. Too long at that low level of calories will cause problems.

Some of us, like me, who over a large amount to lose (still got over a 100 pounds to go personally) can get away with fudging on how many a day to eat and how much of our exercise calories to eat. We've got enough fat for our body to draw on for energy. BUT FOR MOST--like you who have a relatively small amount to lose, it's not advised by most doctors to ever ever ever go under 1200 a day.

Not sure if any of this makes sense.

I will tell you this--I have lost 30 pounds in a little over 2 months--I eat at least 90% of my exercise calories every day. I feel great, I'm losing weight, and I'm not starving. Proof is in the pudding, I guess. I've tried this before "your" way--by exercising the heck out of my body, eating barely 1000 calories total a day, and I starved all the time, and did bad things to my body.

Frankly, I prefer the way I'm doing it now--eating healthy, exercising, and eating most--if not all--my exercise calories.

But, do what you want when it comes down to you.

Banks, me, and many others on here have lost weight eating our exercise calories. If you disagree, fine. But don't question how others have lost weight, as long as they did it by being healthy.

People come on here to get help, support, and suggestions--and I tend to listen most to those who have been the most successful AND have done it in a healthy manner--but that's me.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm hesitant to jump in here but what the heck

Maybe you're misunderstanding--No one is talking about eating more than what your body burns in a day. What is being referred to here is that if someone has already cut down their caloric intake to below their daily basal metabolic rate to create a calorie deficit, then even if they don't exercise they will lost weight.

So, if you add exercise on top of that, you are creating even more of a daily caloric deficit by now burning up even more of the calories that you have eaten. Thereby, reducing the amount of caloric energy available to your body to function.

Most people seem to reduce their caloric intake to 1200 a day when trying to lose weight--even though for most people that is too large a deficit. But....if they then exercise and burn up, say, 300 calories, now they are only giving their body a total of 900 calories to function that day. And that ain't good. Too long at that low level of calories will cause problems.

Some of us, like me, who over a large amount to lose (still got over a 100 pounds to go personally) can get away with fudging on how many a day to eat and how much of our exercise calories to eat. We've got enough fat for our body to draw on for energy. BUT FOR MOST--like you who have a relatively small amount to lose, it's not advised by most doctors to ever ever ever go under 1200 a day.

Not sure if any of this makes sense.

I will tell you this--I have lost 30 pounds in a little over 2 months--I eat at least 90% of my exercise calories every day. I feel great, I'm losing weight, and I'm not starving. Proof is in the pudding, I guess. I've tried this before "your" way--by exercising the heck out of my body, eating barely 1000 calories total a day, and I starved all the time, and did bad things to my body.

Frankly, I prefer the way I'm doing it now--eating healthy, exercising, and eating most--if not all--my exercise calories.

But, do what you want when it comes down to you.

Banks, me, and many others on here have lost weight eating our exercise calories. If you disagree, fine. But don't question how others have lost weight, as long as they did it by being healthy.

People come on here to get help, support, and suggestions--and I tend to listen most to those who have been the most successful AND have done it in a healthy manner--but that's me.

Nods head in approval.

Weightloss (1lb=3500 Calories) = Calories In - Calories Out and that daily total should be NO MORE than 500 calories per day (for 1lb per week) less than your BMR (not to be less than 1200).
  • maverickyanda
    Options

*sigh*

First, I most certainly CAN state that as I'm not trying to prove the theory of metabolism to you, as it is already a proven fact, if you want to learn about the metabolism, go find an Anatomy and Physiology book but don't try to FLAME on me! Second, It's obvious to me you didn't read my initial post, because your second paragraph basically says the same thing as it. I just go into more depth then that to try to explain WHY it happens.
    I find it amusing that you call what I wrote a "claim"; I didn't claim anything in that post. I just summarized generally accepted theories. You want to fight the establishment about how the metabolism works, go right ahead, but I'm not who you should be "trying" to discredit, go fight the USDA, NEJOM, and most major Health organizations if you want to change the way the human metabolic process is described.
    Personally, I think you skimmed this post, read the title, and decided you didn't agree. Just my opinion, but what you stated tends to lean toward it in my opinion.

I know how metabolism works, Banks. You don't have to treat me like I'm a child. I'm not trying to flame "on" you. I said I don't believe that you need to eat all of your exercise calories in order to lose weight.

I still don't see concerete evidence (or a well-laid out theory) as to why. Just because you type out a lot of words doesn't mean you have evidence.

I even poked around online quite a bit after reading your stuff to get more insight. I found nothing. Hey, I was happy because I wanted to eat more!

If you read to what I was saying, Banks, I never said you were trying to prove theories of "metabolism".

I said your theory that eating exercise calories leads to weight loss better results than not...that's the mindset that's all over MFP and you seem to repeat (including this post). If I'm wrong, correct me and I'll stand corrected!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    thats the accepted theory all over MFP because thats the theory OF MFP... Thats how Mike designed the site to work (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • ty_bradley01
    ty_bradley01 Posts: 321
    Options

*sigh*

I know how metabolism works, Banks. You don't have to treat me like I'm a child. I'm not trying to flame "on" you. I said I don't believe that you need to eat all of your exercise calories in order to lose weight.

I still don't see concerete evidence (or a well-laid out theory) as to why. Just because you type out a lot of words doesn't mean you have evidence.

I even poked around online quite a bit after reading your stuff to get more insight. I found nothing. Hey, I was happy because I wanted to eat more!

If you read to what I was saying, Banks, I never said you were trying to prove theories of "metabolism".

I said your theory that eating exercise calories leads to weight loss better results than not...that's the mindset that's all over MFP and you seem to repeat (including this post). If I'm wrong, correct me and I'll stand corrected!

OK OK OK... here's an idea. Everyone keep moving forward with trying to live a healthier life. Everyone has different ways to go about doing so, and everyone needs to find what works for them. I believe the most important thing here is Banks cares about everyone here on this site and was trying to give some helpful tips and information. If one finds that they do not agree, then that is ok. Bottom line is we all want to be happier and healthier and love encouraging others to do so. Right?!

:heart: Ty
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok I can't hold it any longer in:explode: ... I appologise in advance...
    I need to loose weight. I have tried all the diets that are out there. I have lost 11 pounds in 4 weeks ( granted I have lots to loose) . I know from experience that low carb doesn't work for me in the long run
    so I WOULD NOT go on atkins and try to loose weight there! If you don't believe that this works,why would you use the sight? If I put 10 gallons in my tank ( which at this prices is very unlikely:grumble: ) then I'll go about 290 miles, if I run over 70 miles an hour I won't even make it that far. So in order to make it to my destination I have to put more fuel in...
    That's the way I feel, I believe Banks invests a lot of time and energie to make this sientific stuff more understandable to us and I really love Mike for giving us this sight, so if you don't like it, there are lots of other sites out there.
    Sorry guys but I had to do that I know it might not be nice but there are lots of people that are helpful and informed.....