Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    9/17 - 2.2 miles walked, 2 miles ran, 15 min strength

I feel very strongly about donuts and Krispy Kreme are it for me <3

The Hurt's donuts are all the rage here. They bring a truck down from Oklahoma City. They manage to have any your way? I haven't tried any, yet.

That sounds vaguely familiar but no, we don't have them. We have KK and DD and a bunch of smaller chains. All the Shipley's got taken over by Love's. There is a local grocery store that makes a decent donut that I will eat. But KK is still my favorite. I refuse to eat most others (a.k.a. Walmart). Not worth the calories. LOL And what is that chocolate sauce they put on donuts?????? It's so weird. I love the KK chocolate ones. YUM! Speaking of which, I need to get some pumpkin spice ones. That's the only pumpkin spice food I eat. Go figure.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    9/17 - 2.2 miles walked, 2 miles ran, 15 min strength

I feel very strongly about donuts and Krispy Kreme are it for me <3

The Hurt's donuts are all the rage here. They bring a truck down from Oklahoma City. They manage to have any your way? I haven't tried any, yet.

We have a couple of Hurt's Donuts here in Wichita as well. They are not my favorites, but they do have some unique varieties to try. Mostly cake donuts that they slap tons of icing and decorate with cereal, gum, candy, pretzels, ect. When they opened the first store here there was a line over 1 hour long for nearly 2 days, and they are open 24hour a day. In my mind you can't beat a fresh off the conveyor Krispy Kreme.

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    9/1 = 5.5 miles
    9/2 = Rest Day
    9/3 = 16.5 miles (run/walk intervals)
    9/4 = 8.5 miles and a Hatha yoga class
    9/5 = Camp Gladiator class
    9/6 = 6 miles and 45 minutes strength training
    9/7 = 10.5 miles
    9/8 = 7 miles
    9/9 = rest day
    9/10 = 13.5 miles (run/walk intervals with running group)
    9/11 = 8 easy miles and 30 minutes strength training
    9/12 = Vinyasa yoga class & 3 mile walk with the puppy and hubby
    9/13 = 8 miles
    9/14 = 7 miles and Camp Gladiator class
    9/15 = 3 miles (and a long 6 hour car ride)
    9/16 = 6 miles hiking (up a mountain)
    9/17 = rest day (and another long 6 hour car ride)
    9/18 = 13 miles

Ran 13 slow and easy miles with a running buddy this morning. I am pretty sure my allergy issues are actually a head cold at this point. Gross.

TMI warning: My poor gluteus maximus was crazy sore after that mountain hike on Saturday! Walking was a struggle yesterday. I don't know how some of you guys run those high elevations I see on Strava. Apparently, I need to start doing some of those hill repeat runs I see people talking about. I am glad my marathon in December is mostly flat. Ouch!

(September miles) 109.5/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    TMI warning: My poor gluteus maximus was crazy sore after that mountain hike on Saturday! Walking was a struggle yesterday. I don't know how some of you guys run those high elevations I see on Strava. Apparently, I need to start doing some of those hill repeat runs I see people talking about. I am glad my marathon in December is mostly flat. Ouch!

Hill running tips I learned in school while on XC team - decades ago....
    • Shorten your stride on the uphills
    • Lengthen your stride on the downhills

Hill running tip I got from a random internet coach last year
    • Run based on effort. This means you will slow down on the ups, and speed up on the downs, but it should all average out in the end.

Hill running tip I got from a buddy that runs 100milers
    • If the hill is steep, I fast walk up it instead of run. I end up using less energy and passing many people that are trying to run.

So there you go. That is "how" we run those hills :)

• Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I only run on the treadmill hopefully thats ok.
    Saturday i ran 5miles
    Sunday i ran 3miles

Nothing but awe for someone that can do time on a dreadmill. There have been a lot of times when I should have, but starting at about 45 seconds, I'm thinking JEEZUS, how long have I been at this? Plus, it REALLY helps my motivation when I'm halfway through a run to be 2 miles from the house, if you know what I mean!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

• Run based on effort. This means you will slow down on the ups, and speed up on the downs, but it should all average out in the end.

• If the hill is steep, I fast walk up it instead of run. I end up using less energy and passing many people that are trying to run.

I agree with most of this, but not the part in bold above. Lengthening your stride on the downhills creates a braking effect with your heels and will increase the impact on your body considerably. If you go wild and take giant strides, you could really hurt yourself. Rather than describe proper form myself, I'll link to a couple of great explanations:

http://running.competitor.com/2016/10/training/master-downhill-trail-running_157158

http://www.rockcreekrunner.com/2015/08/27/downhill-trail-running-technique/

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/03/your-ultra-training-bag-of-tricks-dont-let-downhills-be-your-downfall.html
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7 -Looks like you and I are in the same sort of boat my friend. I am at 53/120 miles for the month and very unlikely to make that up. I am not sure what I was thinking either by trying to make September my come back month. September is notoriously busy for me. I know the last two years I had to get really creative to try and maintain a training schedule through September. I guess the difference is that this year I don't have a goal race that I am training for and I am just not that committed. On the other hand, running has been a pretty big priority in my life for quite a while now, it's probably not such a bad thing to have it take a back seat for a little while. I just need to quit beating myself up over it.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Your poor behind! My rule of thumb is if its even somewhat runnable I hit it hard and fast on the up (if its a hands on knees or scramble type situation I switch to power hiking obviously). Like @PastorVincent mentioned I keep very short strides on incline and I drive hard on my forefoot (I am naturally a mid to heel striker so this is a very deliberate part of hills for me, some of the men in my trail group have picked on me for high on my foot I land lol). I don't go to longer strides downhill but I think that has more to do with trying to stay upright on very steep descents with dodgy knees :D . It is worth mentioning that, in my mind anyway haha, on very steep downhills the most important thing is fast leg turn over and hitting the ground at about midfoot. Hill work is never a bad thing- my hill fascination is only second to my distance sickness as it is great fun!

Congrats to your son @7lenny7 - that is very exciting! I hope stuff calms down for you soon on a personal front.

@angmarie28 you're a lovely friend to spend 7 hours on a marathon course with her! Was it at least a scenic course?

@lporter229 well I do agree that @_nikkiwolf_ is crazy impressive and inventive (and has good taste in pottery! Haha). I just have what I am referring to as 'The Paisley Problem', something about distance calls to me and I can't seem to stop ;)

@juliet3455 honestly I'm more worried about cougars, a lot of dogs are turning up dead or scrobbed up badly from tangling with the ones hanging around town. They're so damn quiet you'd basically be dead by the time you realized they were stalking you :/ . Are you guys having more bear/big cat activity this year? Must be the smoke I figure...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    I'm with @pastorvincent - blueberry cake donuts with glaze are currently my favorite.... but I am also a sucker for sprinkles.... yeah.... really I just like food, thus why I run.... or try to run

I run to eat as well. The cardiovascular benefits and endurance are just a side benefit :wink:

My favorite is the old fashioned glazed sour cream donut from Tim Hortons. Thank goodness there aren't any Tim Hortons around here!
  • PastorVincent
    edited September 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I agree with most of this, but not the part in bold above. Lengthening your stride on the downhills creates a braking effect with your heels and will increase the impact on your body considerably. If you go wild and take giant strides, you could really hurt yourself. Rather than describe proper form myself, I'll link to a couple of great explanations:

http://running.competitor.com/2016/10/training/master-downhill-trail-running_157158

http://www.rockcreekrunner.com/2015/08/27/downhill-trail-running-technique/

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/03/your-ultra-training-bag-of-tricks-dont-let-downhills-be-your-downfall.html

Good call out, I was thinking more along the lines of undoing the "shorten your stride" and NOT doing superman legs or something. :) But I will check those videos out soon myself and see if they match my very ragged memory of XC in HS.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Okay, mad respect for this downhiller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azj6pjKrayo
  • dbhawkins1010
    dbhawkins1010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1-Sep upper body @ gym
    2-Sep C25K W7D2 2.14
    3-Sep planned rest day
    4-Sep C25K W7D3 2.44
    5-Sep planned rest day
    6-Sep upper body @ gym
    7-Sep C25K W8D1 2.5
    8-Sep upper body @ gym
    9-Sep C25K W8D2 2.9
    10-Sep planned rest day
    11-Sep C25K W8D3 2.57
    12-Sep planned rest day
    13-Sep upper body @ gym
    14-Sep upper body @ gym
    15-Sep worked late
    16-Sep - no real reason for not working out-
    17-Sep R4WL W1D1 2.49

15.04 of 30 miles

Just a quickie check in. Didn't do as much running the last few days but that's okay. Hopefully I will still reach my (small) September goal. Where's the fall-like temps? They're not here yet!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 sorry everything is overwhelming your running. Awesome for your son sophomore starting goalie on varsity tomorrow, impressive! Sounds like they have a lot of confidence in him.

@PastorVincent I’m thinking what the heck is the person video taping riding?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I’m thinking what the heck is the person video taping riding?

I know right! She is flying, and the camera is staying ahead of her. My best guess is the camera person is wearing a GOPRO style camera on a steady cam mount facing backwards and is running just as fast.

Doubt I could have kept that pace going for even half as long as they did in any cut!

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for September

9/1 REST DAY
    9/2 12 miles - 12
    9/3 REST DAY
    9/4 LABOR DAY LAZINESS
    9/5 8 miles - 20
    9/6 4 miles - 24
    9/7 10 miles - 34
    9/8 3.1 miles - 37.1
    9/9 13.1 miles - 50.2
    9/10 REST DAY
    9/11 7 miles - 57.2
    9/12 10 miles - 67.2
    9/13 4 miles - 71.2
    9/14 8.25 miles - 79.45
    9/15 REST DAY
    9/16 10 miles - 89.45
    9/17 REST DAY
    9/18 7 miles - 96.45

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    ran my second marathon yesterday, ok mostly walked it, we were going at my friends pace, she is slower, and was getting over bronchitis, so we finished in 7 hours, but we finished, and I'm so proud of her for pushing through. I am super sore today, after the marathon I wet to a suicide prevention walk, I only did 1 of the 3 miles there, but we had to park a ways away, then walking around the park looking for my team and registering, i walked quite a bit, I was feeling good, but after I got home and relaxed my knee started to give out, and this morning I could hardly walk, but Im doing ok now, thank god, because I have to work today.

9/4- 13.2 miles
    9/7-2.1 miles
    9/10-6 miles
    9/13-2.5 miles
    9/17-26.2 miles

total-50 miles

You are an awesome friend to walk SEVEN HOURS just to support her goal. Pat yourself on the back and eat some goodies today. You deserve it!

thanks, shes the one that got me started running and we started our marathon goal together so I made sure we finish it together. I probably could have done it in 6ish hours, it was a very easy course (about as easy as a marathon can get anyways) but even with that time, its not like I would have won anything, so no big loss. Funny thing is, as much as i dont like to run, and as much as I planned on that being my last, I think I may do it again, hahaha.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    thanks, shes the one that got me started running and we started our marathon goal together so I made sure we finish it together. I probably could have done it in 6ish hours, it was a very easy course (about as easy as a marathon can get anyways) but even with that time, its not like I would have won anything, so no big loss. Funny thing is, as much as i dont like to run, and as much as I planned on that being my last, I think I may do it again, hahaha.

My wife runs slower than I, so what I do is run the race at my pace. Finish, rest, then walk the course backwards until I find her (I can take shortcuts thanks to GPS tracking), and then finish the rest of the race with her. Not as good as doing the whole thing with her, but in shorter races, I can normally do at least 1/3rd with her. Have not tried it at marathon length yet though. Will this May... might die. :smiley: