September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    An hour of soccer this evening with my 7 yr. old while mom and the 3 yr. old played fun soccer. Probably would have done better with resting more, but you have to live in the moment some day. Kieran kicked me in the foot on one play and man he's tough. I won't be playing with him next week because of the half marathon walk with my dad. Taking it easy the first part of this week. Hope to get in at least 7 miles Monday but easy will be the priority.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @4leighbee Welcome back! Good to see you again!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Excellent job on placing in your age group @BruinsGal_91. That's awesome.
    Nice job on your trail race @kristinegift. I love that race swag - especially the t-shirt!
    Great job on the long run @ariceroni and all the best for Chicago!
    @cburke8909 great job on the 20 miler. Good luck with the walk next week, that sounds like such a great thing to do with your dad and for a great cause. I'm glad your dad is doing well.
    Congrats on your 10k PR and nice race pic @NikolaosKey - can't tell if you are intending to give a thumbs up but kind of looks like it. :)
    Great job @rusgolden on your PR!
    @_nikkiwolf_ glad your knee is better. LOL at shopping while running. I can just picture that potted plant, shopping bag obstacle course race.
    @MobyCarp congrats on the Boston acceptance. All the best, healthy and strong thoughts to you over the next several months!

I'm sure I probably missed people - good job to all of you who raced and did long runs this weekend. Impressive all around.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    09/01/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    09/02/17 :::: 12.0 :::: 12.0
    09/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 15.1
    09/04/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 18.4
    09/05/17 :::: 6.3 :::: 24.7
    09/06/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 28.8
    09/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 28.8
    09/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 28.8
    09/09/17 :::: 14.2 :::: 43.0
    09/10/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 45.8
    09/11/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 48.4
    09/12/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 48.4
    09/13/17 :::: 5.4 :::: 53.7
    09/14/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 53.7
    09/15/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 53.7
    09/16/17 :::: 10.4 :::: 64.1
    09/17/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 67.1

Goal = 95 miles
    Upcoming races:
    10/1 Wineglass Half Marathon, Corning NY

I had to do a little work tonight, and I purposely dressed to run so I would be guilted into running after I finished. It took me a bit longer than expected so I had to beat the darkness and ran on the track near work. It was great because it significantly cooled down after a kind of hot day, so I was happy I waited.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    10K race yesterday went very well... took 82 seconds of my previous PR from earlier in the year and this course had some pretty tough hills. Not a lot of participants in the 10K, but still felt I did good against the competition. :smile:
    Congrats! Well done!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent @ariceroni @seanevan10@kristinegift and anyone else mentioning donuts in the last few pages: I must be missing something here! I ate donuts for the first time in my live this summer on vacation in Canada, and was really disappointed. Everyone always seems so excited about them... I tried twice, once a maple donut and the second time a chocolat donut, but both were so awefully sweet that I only took a singe bite and then tried to foist them upon my sister. It worked for the maple one; the "chocolat"* donut we threw away in the end (*it looked like chocolat, but didn't taste like real chocolat at all). I like cake, and I like chocolat, but there was no way I was gonna eat that. Or maybe we just got unlucky and came across the worst donuts around, and usually they taste better?

There are definitely different kinds of donuts that taste way different. I prefer the "cake" donuts that Dunkin Donuts makes over say Krispy Creme... but everyone has their preference.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent @ariceroni @seanevan10@kristinegift and anyone else mentioning donuts in the last few pages: I must be missing something here! I ate donuts for the first time in my live this summer on vacation in Canada, and was really disappointed. Everyone always seems so excited about them... I tried twice, once a maple donut and the second time a chocolat donut, but both were so awefully sweet that I only took a singe bite and then tried to foist them upon my sister. It worked for the maple one; the "chocolat"* donut we threw away in the end (*it looked like chocolat, but didn't taste like real chocolat at all). I like cake, and I like chocolat, but there was no way I was gonna eat that. Or maybe we just got unlucky and came across the worst donuts around, and usually they taste better?

There are definitely different kinds of donuts that taste way different. I prefer the "cake" donuts that Dunkin Donuts makes over say Krispy Creme... but everyone has their preference.

And I will take Krispy Kreme over Dunkin Donuts!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    9/17 - 2.2 miles walked, 2 miles ran, 15 min strength

I feel very strongly about donuts and Krispy Kreme are it for me <3
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I don't like donuts. There. I said it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

The Hurt's donuts are all the rage here. They bring a truck down from Oklahoma City. They manage to have any your way? I haven't tried any, yet.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    09/01/17 - 10 miles - mostly Z2
    09/02/17 - Rain
    09/03/17 - 9 miles - Z2/Z3
    09/04/17 - 9 miles - Z2
    09/05/17 - Rest
    09/06/17 - Strength + 5 miles - Z3/4
    09/07/17 - Strength + 5 miles - Z3/4
    09/08/17 - 7 miles Z2
    09/09/17 - 16 miles
    09/10/17 - 12 miles Z2
    09/11/17 - Rest
    09/12/17 - 9 miles Z2
    09/13/17 - 7 miles Z2
    09/14/17 - 7 miles Z2/3 + Strength training
    09/15/17 - 7 miles
    09/16/17 - Rest
    09/17/17 - 13.1 miles Z2

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

10/14/2017 - HAWAIIANS LOVE S.P.A.M. (Skin Protection Against Melanoma)
    -- SPONSOR ME: https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017/PastorVincent

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

I set out with the intention for an easy long run. Was thinking between 16-20 spending on how I felt. It was warmer than normal for fall, but still thought I would be okay. Was not. by mile 13 I decided to stop as I was hurting pretty bad. Not sure why. :( Ah well, I live to run again!

But I did see a bunny chasing a Pacman in a hat!

• PastorVincent
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »

And I will take Krispy Kreme over Dunkin Donuts!

You are allowed to be wrong! :smiley::smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

The Hurt's donuts are all the rage here. They bring a truck down from Oklahoma City. They manage to have any your way? I haven't tried any, yet.

Do not think so, at least I have not heard of them.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Re: donuts. The Krispy Kreme ones are just some unidentifiable pastry with a sugar content. And @_nikkiwolf_ is right - that's not chocolate.

Personally I prefer good old fashioned jam doughnuts. Doughy and sweet, with the double challenge of not letting the oozing jam (strawberry) fall on your white top, and there's a rule you can't lick your lips or fingers to take off the sugar until the end.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ LOL! Running with eggs almost as dangerous as running with scissors. Great news about your knee!

What do you mean you have never eaten a donut before last summer? They are great....esp the yeast...microwaved x 10 seconds. Also love the custard filled ones. In Indy, there is a bakery called Longs, in which people line up for blocks in the morning to purchase those freshly baked pastries. Not me, though....unless I am trying to make up with my husband after a fight.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

Goal for the month 55 miles with a half scheduled at the end of the month. I am trying a "rest my legs" strategy in which a run a short distance and long distance in a week with lots of rest in between (filled with working at a job, sleeping, etc.)

9/17...5 miles....62 minutes...2 minutes less than 9/14. Average heart rate at 86%. I worked the last 2 nights but crashed after coming home....slept 6 hours. Planned run with no water and no pre-run food.

Whew....it was a hot day! I waited until 6 :40 p.m. and it was still 88 degrees and muggy. It was still 85 degrees at 8 p.m. and dark outdoors. I decided to use some mental imagery during the run...imaged that I was running in Antarctica and feeling blasts of cold air during the run....didn't really work. Focussed on staying relaxed esp. shoulders and legs. After the first mile, it felt like running in a sauna.

I have another long run planned for the end of the week....14 miles, then a short run the next day...either 5 or 6 miles.

9/1....9 miles... In zone all but 9 minutes. 13 minute/mile.
    9/4...4 miles ...in zone all but 1 minute. 12:45 minute miles.
    9/11...12 miles....focusing on running more at race pace....goal was to run under 14 minute miles. I haven't run this far in a while....noted that this felt easier than I expected especially the first 10 miles. Pace was 13:10 per mile on the average. My last half marathon was at the 12:38 pace ( in May). In zone only 24 minutes. My main goal was to stay relaxed. Hamstrings felt tight the next morning.
    9/14...5 miles.....really not feeling like running at all....goal was to stay relaxed and to run at comfortable pace without focusing on zone running. pace was 12:48....in the zone 31 minutes.
    9/17...5 miles.... in zone 24 minutes...pace was 12:24. Lungs felt great....head was into it....not as leg weary today.

total....32 miles
    goal....55 miles.

Upcoming races... 9/30.....Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @sarahthes I like your plan of building up to a HM over winter. I started running in September 2015, and did my first HM in late June 2016, so I know your timeframe is do-able.

@ctlaws44 You did an 18 minute HM PB?!!!! IN THAT HEAT? Fan-freaking-tastic.

@JessicaMcB You're even close to a 20 min 5K?!!! Damn! Just amazing.

Looking strong, @NikolaosKey!

@rusgolden Bravo! I :heart: that you're wearing the MFP MRC Embrace the Suck shirt!!

@_nikkiwolf_ They should totally bring in Egg & Spoon (or Plate) races for adults. You'd be a champion!

I made good on yesterday's plan for today - to buy a donut. In fact, my friend the Vietnamese baker thought I said SIX donuts, so who am I to argue?

I ate one, gave one away, and still have more for tomorrow. :heart:

@PastorVincent they are cinnamon donuts, the original, tried and true.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic lol that is exactly what I did. I gave a thumb up and smiled to the photographer. The photo is the phase when I return to reality :smiley:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    1/9 crappy 20 minute run
    2/9 7 miles along the towpath. Wanted to pick blackberries but they'd gone over
    5/9 Stronglifts 5x5
    6/9 2.6m barefoot intervals
    7/9 8 mile long run from work - need to plan post-run food better!!
    8/9 walk to an 'affordable' art fair. Not sure what 'affordable' is supposed to mean....
    9/9 Heritage Open Days - tried a bit of bell ringing, tour of a sewage works....
    13/9 2.3 mile barefoot intervals
    15/9 5 mile run after work.
    17/9 9 mile run

So my last couple of runs I've decided to train with a run/walk strategy. I'm doing 9 minutes running and 1 minute of walking (because it makes working out minutes to train easier). It's a strategy that seems to be working and making my runs feel easier and my recovery better, although it did take me over two HOURS to run a mere nine miles yesterday. But who cares apart from me? There are no bears on the trails here so it's not like I ever need to be able to run away from them. I've also worked better on getting in some food straight after the run - a protein shake or chocolate milk and that really seems to help me ache less.

Only gentle short runs planned this week. I have a Collegiate Shag workshop/festival weekend coming up so I need to be on good form for that.

enjoy the running!!!

run weekend
    14th October trail running weekend on Dartmoor

races planned
    14th October Aim At Melanoma 5k. 7.30 AM Hawaii time = 6.30pm UK time.
    4th Nov - Gordano Long Half Round
    18th March 2018 - Forest of Dean Spring Half