September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It was a bit hotter yesterday afternoon for my run (88 degrees) than I like, today will be about the same. I had to stop and walk for a bit, but I paused my Garmin and only measured my actual running. 30 min/2.88 miles.

exercise.png
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    It is pitch black, pouring out, and barely above freezing. I will run after work and not this morning.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    9/1 = 5.5 miles
    9/2 = Rest Day
    9/3 = 16.5 miles (run/walk intervals)
    9/4 = 8.5 miles and a Hatha yoga class
    9/5 = Camp Gladiator class
    9/6 = 6 miles and 45 minutes strength training
    9/7 = 10.5 miles
    9/8 = 7 miles
    9/9 = rest day
    9/10 = 13.5 miles (run/walk intervals with running group)
    9/11 = 8 easy miles and 30 minutes strength training
    9/12 = Vinyasa yoga class & 3 mile walk with the puppy and hubby
    9/13 = 8 miles
    9/14 = 7 miles and Camp Gladiator class
    9/15 = 3 miles (and a long 6 hour car ride)
    9/16 = 6 miles hiking (up a mountain)
    9/17 = rest day (and another long 6 hour car ride)
    9/18 = 13 miles
    9/19 = sick day

So much congestion and sinus pressure = no yoga or running. Stupid head cold. I had to take NyQuil two times last night just to sleep. I am a zombie this morning.

(September miles) 109.5/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9/1 – 6 miles
    9/2 – rest day XC meet
    9/3 – 10 miles
    9/4 - 5 miles
    9/5 - rest day
    9/6 - 7 miles
    9/7 - 3 miles
    9/8 - 5 miles
    9/9 - rest day XC meet
    9/10 - 3 miles
    9/11 - 9.11 miles - Never Forget
    9/12 - nothing yet maybe rest day
    9/13 - 6 miles
    9/14 - 6 miles
    9/15 – 5 miles
    9/16 – rest day XC meet
    9/17 – rest day with 5 miles of walking – my friend is in town and we walked through the Botanical Garden and Bridgestreet taking senior pictures of Skip
    9/18 – 7 miles
    9/19 - 5 miles

77 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Definitely getting warmer again. My legs started to feel tried at 4 miles so instead of 6 I decided on 5 and headed home. Skip has a meet today, they love this mud run, through the local University's creeks and fields, up some hills.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Wasn't on here yesterday and I missed 95 posts! I'll have to make some time to go back and read them later.

9/1- REST
    9/2- Family Time
    9/3- Family Time
    9/4- 6- 384 feet elevation
    9/5- 8- 1598 feet elevation
    9/6- 6.2- 1263 feet elevation
    9/7- 8- Track Thursday
    9/8- REST
    9/9- 20
    9/10- REST
    9/11- REST
    9/12- 8.1 - 1663 Feet Elevation
    9/13- 8.1- 1640 Feet elevation
    9/14- 7.2- 1388 Feet Elevation
    9/15- REST
    9/16- 14- 2352 Feet elevation
    9/17- REST
    9/18- REST
    9/19- 8,1- 1663 Feet Elevation

Total Miles: 93.7
    Total Elevation: 11951 ft

September goal: Survive 100k training and the beginnings of pre-race freak out
    Nominal Mileage goal: 200 miles.
    Elevation goal: 15000ft

Today's notes: Got up earlt, despite waking up on and off the whole night. Drove to the ski hills and put in my miles. 8 repeats for a total 0f 8.1 miles including the jog to the base of the hill. Managed over 1600 feet of elevation, so I'm feeling OK about it, despite feeling like garbage and only averaging 11:45.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Question for trail runners:

Is anyone aware of any good trails to run in or near the Chicago area? I'm itching to try trail running but I can't seem to find any real trails around where I live. Everything is either gravel or paved.
    There's an app we use when traveling to find trails. It's All Trails. That or I think Strava lets you explore areas, like the heat map?
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Come to think of it, best I stay in the UK where I get uninspired in most pastry shops, and the only donut shops are those weird American type sugar offerings. Then I can eat vegetables.
    @girlinahat Lucky you :smirk: the canteen where I work usually has some nice dessert selection. I had some carrots with the main dish, but they were followed by this:
    s6ijg310fxky.jpg

I don't even have the excuse of running today. But I ran 5km yesterday, that's good enough to justify pastries today, right? ^^

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I just read all that having got on an early train for a meeting. The bakery at the railway station opened too late for me so my options were limited to bland bland and more bland.

Despite being part of Europe (we still love you guys, apart from the idiots who don't know their yes's from their noes) British pastries and bread products are nothing to shout about. Put me in Belgium, and I'll ignore lunch in favour of something deliciously flaky, naughty and in no way good for you. Full of cream. Put me in France and I'll devour the bread, put me in Italy and I'll be on the gelato. Come to think of it, best I stay in the UK where I get uninspired in most pastry shops, and the only donut shops are those weird American type sugar offerings. Then I can eat vegetables.

Apart from Gregg's cheese and onion pasties that is. God I miss those.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Talking with someone I know who is self-stated "needs to get in shape" and he went to the gym for the first time and came home and ate "six slices of pizza."

I do not hold out much hope for him. *sigh*
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @ctlaws44 When I was a kids, we'd get asked if we wanted a Hurt's donut. I didn't know that we're actually donuts. The bait is to say "yes", then punch the person and say " Hurts don't it". So stupid. Also the wanna asprin which was a.$s burn. Then you got whooped. I had not so nice adults in my life as a child... But then they were always high.. so I guess that was entertaining to them.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it, best I stay in the UK where I get uninspired in most pastry shops, and the only donut shops are those weird American type sugar offerings. Then I can eat vegetables.
    @girlinahat Lucky you :smirk: the canteen where I work usually has some nice dessert selection. I had some carrots with the main dish, but they were followed by this:
    s6ijg310fxky.jpg

I don't even have the excuse of running today. But I ran 5km yesterday, that's good enough to justify pastries today, right? ^^

Are those carrots on the top!? :s
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @ctlaws44 Actually, before tasting the first bit, I was afraid it would be some kind of pumpkin, since they are having a "pumpkin themed week" at the canteen at the moment :mrgreen: But it turned out to be kaki (persimon) fruit. Still weird!

Running shorts as race give-away would be a nice change. Two years ago (for my second race ever) I got a pair of running socks at a 5k. I thought that was also a good idea.

• ctlaws44
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @ctlaws44 When I was a kids, we'd get asked if we wanted a Hurt's donut. I didn't know that we're actually donuts. The bait is to say "yes", then punch the person and say " Hurts don't it". So stupid. Also the wanna asprin which was a.$s burn. Then you got whooped. I had not so nice adults in my life as a child... But then they were always high.. so I guess that was entertaining to them.

An adult would do that to you?! That sounds awful. I'm sorry if that brought back any bad memories.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I've got my pace group assignment for the Princeton Half in November! I'll be leading a group of 1:55-ers to victory! I was kind of hoping for the 2 hour group because that is such a major milestone time, but I remember that the first time I set a race goal for something other than sub-2 for a HM that was a pretty big deal, so hopefully I'll be helping people hit some sizeable PRs.

That's awesome. And I imagine that you will still have a pretty sizable group. If I was targeting a sub 2 half, I would probably want to start with the 1:55 group to give myself some leeway. Imagine how happy they will all be when you help them shatter their goal!
  • ctlaws44
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @ctlaws44 Actually, before tasting the first bit, I was afraid it would be some kind of pumpkin, since they are having a "pumpkin themed week" at the canteen at the moment :mrgreen: But it turned out to be kaki (persimon) fruit. Still weird!

Running shorts as race give-away would be a nice change. Two years ago (for my second race ever) I got a pair of running socks at a 5k. I thought that was also a good idea.

Yes, persimmon is a weird choice. I used to have a persimmon tree in my yard. Never got a taste for them though. Cool! Socks would be good too. Really anything but a shirt.

• ctlaws44
    Options
    I've got my pace group assignment for the Princeton Half in November! I'll be leading a group of 1:55-ers to victory! I was kind of hoping for the 2 hour group because that is such a major milestone time, but I remember that the first time I set a race goal for something other than sub-2 for a HM that was a pretty big deal, so hopefully I'll be helping people hit some sizeable PRs.

That's awesome you're doing this! I've always wanted to but my pace is all over the place and I'd be afraid of wearing people out by yo-yoing my pace.