9/13: 8k -Easy run-
    9/14: 9.8k -3.2k w/u, 6x2min hard/1 min recovery, 3.2k c/d-
    9/15: 6.6k -Shake off run-
    9/16: 10k -Race-
    9/18: 10.2k -Easy run-

Goal: 126.3k/170k

Stay hydrated!

Upcoming races:
    9/16: 4th Kavala Night City Run 10k: 49:47 (new PR)
    9/24: Xiropotamos Trail 2017 11k
    10/1: Voreia Sirris Challenge 23k
    10/15: Nestos Trail VFTU 10k
    11/26: 4th Democritus Half Marathon
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Nah, I wish I unintentionally cut weight every year at a certain time... or any time. I have to be extremely intentional to cut any weight whatsoever.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    This is so much harder when you're starting OVER. I was running 7 miles in May, and still running hill repeats in June. Now here I am feeling like a beginner all over again. :'( Huffing and puffing through 2 miles with walk breaks and the tiniest hills are like mountains. LOL

I'm in the same boat, @greenolivetree ! I think it's harder to increase your mileage after a layoff than it is the first time around because you've done it before and don't want to take the time to build up to it again. In my recent mini-build up I did a LOT of walking because I refused to start with the shorter distances I probably should have started with.

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    This is so much harder when you're starting OVER. I was running 7 miles in May, and still running hill repeats in June. Now here I am feeling like a beginner all over again. :'( Huffing and puffing through 2 miles with walk breaks and the tiniest hills are like mountains. LOL

I'm in the same boat, @greenolivetree ! I think it's harder to increase your mileage after a layoff than it is the first time around because you've done it before and don't want to take the time to build up to it again. In my recent mini-build up I did a LOT of walking because I refused to start with the shorter distances I probably should have started with.

Yes. I started back with 1 mile warm up walk, 1 mile run (as much as possible), 1 mile walk to cool down. Then I worked the running up to 1.5 and now 2 miles. Still doing the 1 mile warm up and cool down walk to keep the time on my feet and also to make the habit of blocking off more time for exercise. I'm mostly running about half mile at a time then very short walk break. I ran one solid mile just to prove to myself I could do it. But I think the walk breaks are okay for now. I miss being fit :'( But I'll get there again. Life just got too hard for awhile.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Does anyone else find they unintentionally cut weight at the same point every year? Last year when my training volume was at peak in September I lost control of the reins and went from 130 to 123 inside of a month- at my height it was starting to look rough before I got that back together. Now I'm at the same point in the year, high volume month and I'm somehow under 130 again. Really don't want to go into Whistler in the low 120s so I'm working on it but kind of wondering if maybe this will just be September for the rest of my life or what :/ .

Not at the same time of year, and not as dramatic as dropping from 130 to 123, but I typically lose a pound or three while in marathon training. It's a balancing act, adding enough calories to fuel the running without adding so many that I just pile on fat. I tend to err to the down side while training, adding calories later and playing catch up. But as my sister says, sometimes it's easier to eat an extra 2000 calories than an extra 200.

Right now, I'm struggling to just *not gain*. It's a lot harder to overcome one bad binge day when I can't run than it is at the height of marathon training.

"Right now, I'm struggling to just *not gain*." this is my fear as we head into the bad weather months. I lost 50 pounds TWICE, then 15 in a third round (caught myself sooner) because I have not learned that lesson. I am at a good weight now, but running 30-50 miles a week burns a bunch of pizza and ice cream off.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I bought a 'Really Useful Products' Brand clear smaller rubbermaid type deal with a snap lid and a handle. I was told that you want something easily laid out, easy for transport and that you won't be sad about ruining/breaking. A couple of people who raced LSU recommended rubbermaids so I went with that.

@MobyCarp that must be so frustrating fighting to maintain when you are used to so much more latitude- the running hiatus is almost over, you're almost there! Good to know you have a somewhat similar experience re: training loss. I think part of the issue is training six days on and having the opposite of runger. Annoyed I didn't realize until the other day though because I promised myself I wouldn't do this again this year and I would be more proactive :/
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Doughnuts! A topic close to my heart. Or at least close to my belly.

I am actually partial to QuikTrip doughnuts, specifically the Bavarian (filled with vanilla pastry cream and frosted with chocolate) and apple fritters. My daughter likes Krispy Kreme cinnamon sugar yeast doughnuts. Dunkin isn't local to us.

Those are amazing! I used to eat them all the time before I started calculating my food! YUM! I might have to have one when I reach my next goal!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    09/01/17 - 10 miles - mostly Z2
    09/02/17 - Rain
    09/03/17 - 9 miles - Z2/Z3
    09/04/17 - 9 miles - Z2
    09/05/17 - Rest
    09/06/17 - Strength + 5 miles - Z3/4
    09/07/17 - Strength + 5 miles - Z3/4
    09/08/17 - 7 miles Z2
    09/09/17 - 16 miles
    09/10/17 - 12 miles Z2
    09/11/17 - Rest
    09/12/17 - 9 miles Z2
    09/13/17 - 7 miles Z2
    09/14/17 - 7 miles Z2/3 + Strength training
    09/15/17 - 7 miles
    09/16/17 - Rest
    09/17/17 - 13.1 miles Z2
    09/18/17 - 8 miles Z2
    09/19/17 - 9 miles Z2/3
    Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

10/14/2017 - HAWAIIANS LOVE S.P.A.M. (Skin Protection Against Melanoma)
    -- SPONSOR ME: https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017/PastorVincent

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Summer weather is back, so took it easy and did 9 miles with only like 800 feet of elevation and 20% into Z3.

Took some pictures along the run. I wanted to get a picture of the 19% incline hill, but was too much construction traffic. Here:

https://www.relive.cc/view/1191762901
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,974 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    September goal: 65 miles

9/3: 7.1 miles
    9/4: 3.1 miles
    9/5: 3.2 miles (intervals)
    9/6: 2.7 miles
    9/10: 7.2 miles
    9/12: 3.1 miles (intervals)
    9/13: 2.6 miles
    9/16: 3.1 miles
    9/17: 7.1 miles
    9/19: 2.5 miles (intervals)

41.7/65 miles

I did my intervals at lunch again today. Honestly, it was not my best workout. It was just too hot at 92F feels like 96F. It's 98F feels like 101F now though, so I guess it was better to get it done at lunch instead of after work. Plus I have "girls night" with my mom and sisters tonight, so I would have been pretty rushed this afternoon. I am hoping when the weather cools back down I will be able to feel like I'm sprinting when I am trying to sprint. The 20 mph winds didn't help either. I did still run the intervals though, so I guess I will call that a success and not beat myself up. I know that not all runs can be awesome.

@sarahthes You know it is a diverse group when some of us are dealing with 100* temperatures and others are dealing with snow! Honestly, I'm not sure which would be worse. I've never run in snow. It hasn't snowed here since I started running about a year ago.

@skippygirlsmom I love the t-shirt quilt idea. I did that with my kids t-shirts from band and theatre. I made a couple for some of my nephews too. It is a great way to use those shirts that you don't want to throw out, but once they go to college they won't be wearing them any more.

@MobyCarp Congrats on Boston. I'm sure you will be healed up by then.

@jessicamcb I cannot believe that you saw a bear. That would be so scary. I've only seen a stuffed bear in a museum and bears at the zoo. I can't imagine seeing one when I was out running by myself.

As far as donuts go, I used to really like them, but once I started logging my food I rarely find them to be worth the calories. They are putting a new bakery in about 3 blocks from my house though. I may have to stop by and give them a try on my way home some Sunday after my long run. I'm kind of hoping they will suck so I won't be tempted all the time.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

As far as donuts go, I used to really like them, but once I started logging my food I rarely find them to be worth the calories. They are putting a new bakery in about 3 blocks from my house though. I may have to stop by and give them a try on my way home some Sunday after my long run. I'm kind of hoping they will suck so I won't be tempted all the time.

MFP has helped me in that way. Now I think "Ooooh that <food item> looks yummy!" Followed by "Hmm, have to run at least 8 miles to balance off eating it"

So far it seems to be helping.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MFP has helped me in that way. Now I think "Ooooh that <food item> looks yummy!" Followed by "Hmm, have to run at least 8 miles to balance off eating it"

It only helps for so long... after a while, you just go into EAT THE FOODZ mode all the time.....LOL
  • PastorVincent
    Options

It only helps for so long... after a while, you just go into EAT THE FOODZ mode all the time.....LOL

hehe Well I am trying to get back out of EAT ALL THE FOODZ mode :)
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Running total for September - Cumulative total 72 km 19/9/17
    1 Sept 2.85km run 3.50km walk
    2 Sept NONE
    3 Sept 5km
    4 Sept no run but 3.50km walk
    5 Sept PT session and 3.50km walk
    6 Sept 3.5km walk
    7 Sept PT session plus 3.50km walk
    8 Sept 6km on treadmill plus 3.50km walk
    9 Sept rest day
    10 Sept 4.25km
    11Sept -3.5km walk but no run as my car broke down on the way home and had to wait for breakdown to arrive
    12 Sept PT session tough leg day 3.50km walk
    13 Sept 4.50km treadmill 3.50 km
    14 Sept PT session another leg day. 3.50km walk
    15 Sept 3.50km walk no run as calves really tight so lots of stretching/foam rolling
    16 Sept none - had to take mum for cataract appointment so spent half the day waiting around and then boring food shopping.
    17 Sept 5km Great run local rubbish time but I still finished it.
    18 Sept no running 3.50km walking
    19 Sept Leg Day really heavy session including pushing 70kg on the prowler 3.50km walk

I think I deserve a donut or 2 after today's leg session :smiley:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    ereck44 wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ LOL! Running with eggs almost as dangerous as running with scissors. Great news about your knee!
    What do you mean you have never eaten a donut before last summer?

@ereck44 I had the same mental Picture of our friend @_nikkiwolf doing the balance and juggle, eggs, a plate and a potted plate. :D
    Since Nikkiwolf is from Europe and the Pastries they have make most of our North American Donuts - Pastries look/taste like the product their shops would discard - donate to a shelter or a trash bin at the end of a week. Being we are such an international group I find that I have to think about the other person's cultural-social experience when ever a topic comes up. Even the differences within a country can be substantial. Newfoundland on the east coast, Quebec, Alberta - all very different culturally.
    Most of the Franchised ( Dunkins, Krispy, Tims etc ) have to adhere to such a standard product that the quality is not as good as a standalone pastry shop.

Say, I didn't know that @_nikkiwolf_ was from Europe. I couldn't find it in her profile. So, come to think of it, I have been to Europe twice and never saw any donuts. Perhaps a business opportunity. Hmmmmm.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for September

9/1 REST DAY
    9/2 12 miles - 12
    9/3 REST DAY
    9/4 LABOR DAY LAZINESS
    9/5 8 miles - 20
    9/6 4 miles - 24
    9/7 10 miles - 34
    9/8 3.1 miles - 37.1
    9/9 13.1 miles - 50.2
    9/10 REST DAY
    9/11 7 miles - 57.2
    9/12 10 miles - 67.2
    9/13 4 miles - 71.2
    9/14 8.25 miles - 79.45
    9/15 REST DAY
    9/16 10 miles - 89.45
    9/17 REST DAY
    9/18 7 miles - 96.45
    9/19 9 miles - 105.45

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

I'm STILL working my way through reading all the posts. Ugh, it sucks being so busy lately!

I wanted to jump in though, and ask for some advice/experiences, because I'm kind of upset at the moment. Last night I ran 7 miles and felt awesome. Legs felt great, cardio felt great, everything! This morning I went out to my first of multiple runs today, needing to get mileage in. Was doing 4 miles. Somewhere between 3 and 3.5 I was having a pain on the outside of my left knee. I've never had it before but I'm thinking IT band. It seemed to almost radiate into my thigh a bit, and maybe even my shin. Not terrible pain, but it definitely got worse over time.

I tried one more time at lunch, just in case it was just some tightness from being up and out so early, or just a little pinched nerve or something. I got another 6 miles in, but by mile 4 I was getting the same pain in the same spot, again, getting worse as I went along. My route ends with a pretty decent downhill and that seemed to really irritate it.

So, expert runners, does this sound like ITBS to you guys too? Like I said, I've never had it before, but the location of the pain, and the way that it doesn't start until a few miles in makes me think that. It literally JUST started this morning though, although it's on the same side where I've developed that oddly-placed callous (between the toe pad of my big toe and the ball of my foot) and the blood blister, so I'm thinking it might be a symptom of an imbalance/weakness. Suggestions? Recommendations? Advice? Words of encouragement cause I'm feeling kinda down right now? All are welcome!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: Rest day
    9/2: 16 miles
    9/3: Rest day (11.5 hours of sleep!)
    9/4: 6 miles
    9/5: Rest day
    9/6: Rest day again
    9/7: 11 miles of Tempo Thursday
    9/7: 6.4 miles
    9/8: Rest day
    9/9: 16 miles
    9/10: 6 miles
    9/11: 6 miles
    9/12: 10.1 miles of Track Tuesday
    9/13: Rest day
    9/14: 12 miles of Tempo Thursday
    9/15: Rest day
    9/16: 11.1, including 10 mile trail race
    9/17: 6.2 miles
    9/18: Heel/calf tight; taking it easy
    9/19: 10 miles of Track Tuesday
    9/19: 6 miles

123.8 of 250 220 goal miles

Doubled up today since I skipped yesterday's miles. Run pepped me up, so I'm heading to trivia in a little bit (which I've bailed on for 3-4 straight weeks due to marathon exhaustion) and then sleeping in real good tomorrow.

Run was great though. Took it nice and easy, explored a new bit of trails for a couple miles in the middle, and then the last two miles I came out of the woods and into a rainstorm which felt SO GOOD after the high humidity of the last few days. Ran a bit harder than I should have since I was so happy to be running in the rain, so it's a good thing I get to rest for 36 hours til my next workout :)

Upcoming Races:
    Sept 16: Baker's Revenge 10 mile trail race
    Oct 8: Steamtown Marathon
    Oct 22: Perfect 10 miler
    Nov 5: Princeton Half Marathon (pacer)
    January 2018: Louisiana Marathon?
    March 25, 2018: Philly LOVE Run Half Marathon

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I thought I had been checking in here more regularly and when I just came in 263 messages.
    No hope for me! I need to quit my job to keep up ... which sounds very good to me at the moment!

9/1 - 5 miles
    9/2 - 45 miles biking
    9/3 - 40 miles biking
    9/4 - 50 miles biking
    9/5 - strength training
    9/6 - REST!
    9/7 - 5 miles
    9/8 - 5 miles
    9/9 - 8.9 miles
    9/10 - strength training in the house due to hurricane on it’s way
    9/11 - Rest - hurricane cleanup for 4 hours
    9/12 -- 5 miles
    9’13 - hurricane clean up backyard around 2 hours
    9/14 - 3.1 miles _ strength training
    9/15 - 5.3 miles - more hurricane hurdling
    9/16 - 11 miles biking (quit after there was a big wreck - not me but too scary for me); 4 miles on treadmill
    9/17 - 42 miles biking
    9/18 - strength training
    9/19 - 4.8 miles of intervals

exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I'd say get a doctor's appointment. It could be exactly what you think and it could be something else. Let a professional do the diagnosis. I'd guess your right and cutting back, taking an extra rest day and easing back to your training will be the prescription going forward.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2---6.21
    4---6.21
    5---3.47
    7---3.21 5k PR (post op)
    7---2.30
    9-10 Best to rest days.
    11---2.56 walk
    12---3.51
    13,14,15--eh. Hot, not feeling 100%
    16---7.14
    19---3.50

38.11/82 miles I'm never gonna make this month
    61.5/132.24 kilometers

Upcoming races:
    Oct 1 Spirit of Survival, Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    Oct 14 AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run 1230 central time.
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 34.12 10k 1:12.35