September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

I'm STILL working my way through reading all the posts. Ugh, it sucks being so busy lately!

I wanted to jump in though, and ask for some advice/experiences, because I'm kind of upset at the moment. Last night I ran 7 miles and felt awesome. Legs felt great, cardio felt great, everything! This morning I went out to my first of multiple runs today, needing to get mileage in. Was doing 4 miles. Somewhere between 3 and 3.5 I was having a pain on the outside of my left knee. I've never had it before but I'm thinking IT band. It seemed to almost radiate into my thigh a bit, and maybe even my shin. Not terrible pain, but it definitely got worse over time.

I tried one more time at lunch, just in case it was just some tightness from being up and out so early, or just a little pinched nerve or something. I got another 6 miles in, but by mile 4 I was getting the same pain in the same spot, again, getting worse as I went along. My route ends with a pretty decent downhill and that seemed to really irritate it.

So, expert runners, does this sound like ITBS to you guys too? Like I said, I've never had it before, but the location of the pain, and the way that it doesn't start until a few miles in makes me think that. It literally JUST started this morning though, although it's on the same side where I've developed that oddly-placed callous (between the toe pad of my big toe and the ball of my foot) and the blood blister, so I'm thinking it might be a symptom of an imbalance/weakness. Suggestions? Recommendations? Advice? Words of encouragement cause I'm feeling kinda down right now? All are welcome!

I've never had ITBS, so I can't say; but I do know that ITBS is more common among female runners than male. The way it comes on sounds like some sort of over-use or repetitive motion injury. ITBS certainly falls into that category.

If I had your symptoms, I'd be annoyed because I don't have an appropriate medical professional for that. It's too far up for the podiatrist. My physical therapist would do a fine job of evaluating imbalance and weakness, but not of diagnosing an underlying issue; perhaps I'd ask her what sort of doctor to go to for an underlying diagnosis.

The oddly placed callus sounds like a couple of oddly placed calluses I have, that are slowly shrinking as I don't run. My podiatrist tells me they are from being old, not having much fat on my bones, and the bones in the toes rubbing against each other as I run. Where they appear is a function of how my toes align with each other. There are a couple of things the podiatrist does and has me do to control and manage them, but eliminating them means giving up running. That's too high a price to pay, IMO.

One other thought: Do you have multiple pairs of shoes in rotation, and does this happen regardless of which pair you wear? If you only use one pair of running shoes, and this is a new-to-you ache, it could simply be an indication that it's time to replace your shoes. Or it could be a more serious issue unrelated to the shoes. If you have different shoes in rotation, and it happens regardless of which pair you wear, it's likely not the shoes causing it. That's a prime reason I wear shoes in rotation, to separate issues from worn out shoes from general issues not related to the shoes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So I know there is a lot of debate over "proper way to run" and all that but tonight while running a woman was running towards me on the sidewalk and if you ever saw someone parody "run like a girl" - that is pretty much what she looked like. Her feet were flying out to the sides and she looked barely in control. It was level terrain on a sidewalk.

Is there some physical issue that would cause that, or does she just need a coach? Seemed really odd.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    9/1 - Rest day
    9/2 - 13.18 miles. Very slow, mostly walking. Really struggled with low BG throughout entire run. Depleted electrolytes and had cramping towards end and afterwards.
    9/3 - Rest
    9/4 - Cross train - hiked 10 miles.
    9/5 - Unplanned rest day - seems like I might have sprained left ankle.
    9/6 - 6.34 miles (plan was for 8, but trying to be easy on ankle ahead of HM on 9/9)
    9/7 - Unplanned rest - trying to rest ankle for HM and spare electrolytes
    9/8 - Rest
    9/9 - 12.74 Wabash Trace HM 2:02:08 (we all took a wrong turn shortly after start, causing the short distance)
    9/10 - Rest
    9/11 - Rest
    9/12 - 5 miles treadmill intervals
    9/13 - 8.04 miles
    9/14 - 5 miles treadmill, low BG issues and generally not good :(
    9/15 - Rest
    9/16A - 9.12 miles fasting, with electrolytes and yohimbine. Good BG's, indicating yohimbine is working to release stubborn fat, but slow run. Plan was for 18 miles today. Stopped for rain and because pace was so slow.
    9/16B - 5.01 miles - did not get to 18 today, but stopped because it was dark and I was worn out
    9/17 - Rest
    9/18 - Rest
    9/19 - 5.0 miles treadmill before weight lifting

I'm so far behind that I'm not going to reach goal
    exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/9/17 - Wabash Trace HM
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run HM
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/9-9.1
    2/9-ill
    3/9-ill
    4/9-ill
    5/9-5.0
    6/9-3.1
    7/9-4.1
    8/9-REST
    9/9-8.1
    10/9-4.9
    11/9-REST
    12/9-5.1
    13/9-3.3 (running club - lots of hill work!)
    14/9-REST
    15/9-5.3
    16/9-5.2
    17/9-8.3
    18/9-REST
    19/9-6.3
    20/9-4.0
    Total - 71.8/110 Miles
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I'll see your pacman/bunny, and raise you a snot-nosed eel and and a giant chicken...er..swan...er...duck...er...bird thingy
    by23hva3ufuh.jpg

Definitely see a swan.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is having a Wonderful Wednesday!

9/1- REST
    9/2- Family Time
    9/3- Family Time
    9/4- 6- 384 feet elevation
    9/5- 8- 1598 feet elevation
    9/6- 6.2- 1263 feet elevation
    9/7- 8- Track Thursday
    9/8- REST
    9/9- 20
    9/10- REST
    9/11- REST
    9/12- 8.1 - 1663 Feet Elevation
    9/13- 8.1- 1640 Feet elevation
    9/14- 7.2- 1388 Feet Elevation
    9/15- REST
    9/16- 14- 2352 Feet elevation
    9/17- REST
    9/18- REST
    9/19- 8,1- 1663 Feet Elevation
    9/20- 6.2- 1247 Feet Elevation

Total Miles: 99.9
    Total Elevation: 12838 ft

September goal: Survive 100k training and the beginnings of pre-race freak out
    Nominal Mileage goal: 200 miles.
    Elevation goal: 15000ft

Today's notes: Got to the ski hill a bit later today, torrential downpour made driving more difficult. after crossing a 10inch stream that was a paved walking path yesterday, I got down to work. I ran 6.2 miles total with 6 miles of it repeats up the hill, working my hiking muscles, as I'll be using those plenty in a month. Ran the downhills at a controlled pace due to rain and fog while running with a headlamp.

I was planning on getting in 8 miles this morning, but with a 0730 faculty meeting and the need to shower and eat before that, I was thinking about cutting it short. When the lightening picked back up, )did I mention it was a thunderstorm this morning?) I decided for real to cut it short, the small stream that formed on the hill as I was running was another indicator. So, after 6.1 miles, I started jogging back to the car, crossed the new walking path stream again, got to my car and headed to work so I could get cleaned up.

in other news, I'm probably going to miss my mileage goal for the month. This is a function of the type of running I've been doing... I could get more miles fit in on road. Still, it looks like I'll make my elevation goal without too much difficulty, so that's something I guess.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's run was 30 minutes and 2.88 miles. Pretty much the same pace as the day before, but with a couple more hills, so felt pretty good about that. It was a couple of degrees cooler than the day before, so I'm sure that helped.

exercise.png

Upcoming race -9/30 Fleri 5K
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree I'm not going to make my goal either. It's a building month for both of us.

If anyone wants to join in and share in our nutritional support thread please pop in. Vent or come challenge us to eat a nice healthy dish of your choosing- but you gotta eat it with us. We're still feeling out how to best make of this thread so all ideas welcome.

Don't let the holiday food get the drop upswing on you this season.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 -Sounds like it could be ITBS, but only a PT can really tell you for sure. If I remember correctly, you are using a very aggressive, high mileage, training plan, right? It's probably a bit of an overuse injury. If I were you, I would take 1-2 days rest (I know how hard that is to do in the peak of marathon training, trust me), foam roll and do some strengthening exercises without weights. If that does not help, then I would go see a PT. Sorry you are dealing with this. Try not to let it get you down. Giving your body an extra day or two of rest is not going to hurt you, it can only help.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Too fast 6.1 this AM. Heart rate monitor is having issues again so I knew I should just make it a slow easy 10k but it got away from me. I should just do a simple slow 7 tomorrow instead of intervals to compensate.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @greenolivetree I'm not going to make my goal either. It's a building month for both of us.

If anyone wants to join in and share in our nutritional support thread please pop in. Vent or come challenge us to eat a nice healthy dish of your choosing- but you gotta eat it with us. We're still feeling out how to best make of this thread so all ideas welcome.

Don't let the holiday food get the drop upswing on you this season.

But.... EEEEEGGGGG NOOOOOOGGGG is calling!