Tattoo: Would you tell your S/O?

Options

Replies

• junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    sounds like the key to a successful marriage

Says the DB with a wife and a girlfriend according to your other post....
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I need to remember that defense if I ever get married. It's my body and you have no right to tell me who and who not I'm allowed to put my body parts into!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    love my tats.. and good for my husband does too.

sounds like a dicey situation that hes really against it.. and you really want it.. what do you do? its your body really and its too bad that he doesnt let you do what you want with it. seeing as body mods are a nearly harmless ( next to drug use, smoking,. tanning, etc..) form of consumerism.. *shrugs*
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Your arm? Your choice. hope you love it
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Aww, someone took you seriously on that post.

That's cute.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

that may have been something called 'humour'.
  • janinelechuga
    Options
    Who knows... Taking bold steps like that to define your individuality may bring out your "Inner-Sexy"... Be confident honey. Stay confident, sooner or later he will see your strength, then WATCH-OUT! Sparks may fly and your relationship may just get really hot!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Aww, someone took you seriously on that post?

That's cute.

haha... actually I'm the one who called out troll on the other post.... just wanted to call it out again for fun
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

Well from the "hubby's" point of view, I have to totally agree with HIM. When my wife mentioned the possibility of getting a small tattoo I told her that it would be fine, her next husband would probably like it. No argument, no further conversation was needed.

This guy is a ****, first of all. Second of all, you're both adults. You don't need his permission, and he doesn't need to be childish about it.

Third of all, he'll probably never trust you again, and I honestly wouldn't blame him. Don't sneak and do things behind your husband's back.

First of all, show me where the word "permission" was used in my post. Second of all, as previously stated in a reply, I never said she had to do or could not do anything. Third, there is absolutely nothing childish about stating your position, THAT is being an adult,
    'Nobody loves me, everybody hates me
    Think I'll go and eat worms
    Long ones, short ones, fat ones, thin ones
    See how they wriggle and squirm''
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My fiance was completely against me getting a dermal in my chest. He thought it would be ugly. I informed him that I was getting it. I came home, he saw it, sneered a couple of times, and now doesn't even see it. If he does see it, he doesn't say anything. I could give a *kitten* what he thinks about my body and what I do with it. It's my body, and he has enough respect to know that. Just like I could give a rat's butt what he does to his body, I love him anyways. If I had to go around hiding everything from my fiance, I'd feel like I was living with my mother.
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    Glad to see your going to tell him, i wouldnt want to go against my significant others wishes without at least stating to them why i wish to do something they dont want me to do. However i would like to remind you this may break you two up, if he is stubburn and close minded he may leave. At that point its for YOU to decide if its worth it or not.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

tumblr_m5rbn39SHo1rwcc6bo1_500.gif&sa=X&ei=29v2UeOhKoGY9QT3mIGACA&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFNO8N7ITbqpSqzVlxK1J0Rltspyw
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Your body, your choice. If he doesn't like it, it's not his place to tell you what you can and cannot put on your body. Get it and if he acts like a prick about it, tell him to keep his pig-headed and ignorant opinions to himself.

Tattoos can be painful, but the amount of pain does depend on where you get it. I have one in between my shoulderblades. It hurt a lot and now I regret it because I got it from one of my exes, about a couple of weeks before he dumped me. I think he did it bad on purpose. Can't wait to save up money to get it covered.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I would tell him that you really want one and are going to get one, but may be willing to compromise on size, placement, image...etc. Marriage is about compromise. Surprising him with something he hates, particularly if you are going to lie about where you are going, is just a recipe for disaster. If you can't stand his attitude, leave.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've got 9. LOVE tattoos! Got both of my wrists done in the last few years. My husband doesn't want one, but he's never been un-supportive of mine. That being said, I do talk to him first. We are a team (and there is no "I" in team - cheesy, I know, but true). Also, we have joint accounts. Tattoos can be expensive and we run large purchases by each other. Then there is the whole "Do unto others..." :)
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    My fiance was completely against me getting a dermal in my chest. He thought it would be ugly. I informed him that I was getting it. I came home, he saw it, sneered a couple of times, and now doesn't even see it. If he does see it, he doesn't say anything. I could give a *kitten* what he thinks about my body and what I do with it. It's my body, and he has enough respect to know that. Just like I could give a rat's butt what he does to his body, I love him anyways. If I had to go around hiding everything from my fiance, I'd feel like I was living with my mother.

Took me 4 years to decide not to get a side corset piercing :) so i feel ya
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

Well from the "hubby's" point of view, I have to totally agree with HIM. When my wife mentioned the possibility of getting a small tattoo I told her that it would be fine, her next husband would probably like it. No argument, no further conversation was needed.

I hope she and her next husband are happy...

lol................... 34 years and still married

All your mfp friends are mostly hot chicks. You look like a creeper old man.

This gentleman, and I use the term loosely, is obviously from a very different generation in which the man has the final say. Most women now would never put up with that however, his wife must be willing to accept it and live with it. To each their own.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    It was like that when i wanted to get my nose pierced. I always wanted a nose piercing ever since i was a teenager my parents refused to let me get it done. Then i got married and my husband thought it looked unprofessional. i would get resistance from work etc....

When i turned 40 i said screw everyone I am going to get it done. I didnt tell my husband. It was the most liberating, painful but exhilarating experience.

So i say go for it!!!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've always admired good tattoos. I think they can be really beautiful when done well - even sleeves, and more extreme styles. I may decide to get one when I've met my goal weight. I'm super needle-phobic, but I might be able to do it...

As for telling my hubby... I'd discuss it with him & get his opinion. I can imagine he would not love it as he doesn't have any tattoos himself. However, I will do it if I want to do it because it's my body, and I suspect he'll be okay with it.

It sounds to me like you've discussed it previously - or you already know he would not like it, or would even be upset about it. I'd at least be up front about it & tell him you're getting it done. This isn't one of those situations where it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission...
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'd book a divorce lawyer or a marriage counselor along with that tattoo appointment. You might need one or the other. If I was hubby I'd go for divorce - lying and deceit seem like a much bigger deal than the tattoo itself.

This is a FACT

All I really have to say to you, other than your controlling nature makes me so glad I can choose a mate, is that you shouldn't put your children's and their children's names on your profile since you listed your last name on there as well. If someone wanted to stalk them, steal their identity, etc... you just gave them the perfect opportunity. Way to go.