WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Deep water today. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Jeanette Jenkins Blast the Belly Fat DVD.

Lenora - bet you can't wait to get that pool! Hope it comes soon. Sorry about your toe

wendybirdgirl - welcome!

Rye - good luck on the interview. I know you'll do great

Tere - glad to hear such good news about the surgery

Wendy - I usually buy my own gifts, too. At least I know I'm getting something I like and that fits me.

Lenora - so glad you found a doc that you like so much. That's so important. I don't think Maria reared her ugly head. This time it was the cousin, Amanda. I tell you, I've never in my entire life been so insulted. I spent months on that cake getting the marbeling to where I liked it somewhat, Jess spent hours decorating it, I can't tell you all the things I had to bring up with me so that she could decorate it (spatulas, cake leveler <now that I think of it, I should have leveled it at home>, the icing, food coloring for the icing, the dolls, not to mention all the cakes <10 in all>, and then Amanda goes and orders cannoli and tiramisu when she knew d*** good and well that I was making the cake. She saw two large cakes. How much does she think people could eat? Then she has the gall to ask Jess to pay more than her 1/3 "because Maria paid for the desserts" (that shouldn't have been ordered in the first place). But you know what, on Facebook so many people posted about how good the cake was, that they've never had better, even the waitress said she was impressed. After talking to Amanda, she said to Jess "she's dumb, isn't she?" I tell you, the entire drive from VA to NC that weekend I was in total tears. I don't know what I ever did to Amanda to have her treat me the way she did.

Mia - I agree with you, they should have honored their mother's choice. But what's done is done.

Made a turkey meatloaf for later in the week, then made some crabcakes which are in the refrigerator firming up so I can fry them tomorrow, now I have a spinach feta pie in the oven along with a spaghetti squash that I'm roasting. I don't think I'll do any more cooking tonight

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Mary, Brady is just precious. What weight kettle bells did you start with and what do you use not?

Terry, congrats on the new skinny pants and feeling good. You are right in that is what counts. When I started losing, no one noticed until I had lost 45 pounds, but I knew. (later) You are so right that sometimes when we can’t sleep it’s because we are in pain. It may be subtle enough that we don’t even realize it, but it’s there.

Wendy, good for you on looking for the good in life. That is how I chose to live also and it’s so much better than the opposite.

Janetr, I hope you know we love for you to post pictures of your ornaments. The space they take is no big deal as anyone that wants can just zip through them. And you surely know that you are the only one that would know if one bead was higher than the other. Lol They are stunning.

Rye, I’m sure the interview will go well. fingers-crossed-smiley-emoticon.gif

Tere, glad the surgery went well and I do hope for a speedy recovery.

Katla, sorry to hear about your toe and about Arrow not performing as you’d like. Take care. I have to agree with your DH. I think it’s terrible that the instructor is trying to take business from the gym when that is where she has the contacts.

Joyce, that was interesting about the funeral as well as the story about your dad.

Terry, one thing about planning a party or anything else for that matter is that I know you can never please everyone. I’ll just plan something I’ll enjoy and hope for the best. cheesy-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

Janetr, what? No picture of the Llama’s on the Loose???

Mary, I see Shep got to go on the Grand Canyon trip. :) Great pictures.

Kay, a quick wave as you fly by.

Mia, I agree that we should honor the beliefs of the deceased. I don’t blame you for being upset about your friend.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

My new (expensive) glasses were ready today. I really didn’t expect them until Monday so I was excited. They seem comfortable and I can see good so I guess that’s all I can ask. The prescription isn’t very different and they are the same color of red as my old ones so most people won’t even know they are different.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,422 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Barbie – so my local big 5 doesn’t have weights at all (mostly ski stuff), but am looking at amazon, thanks for the lead, I thought shipping would be ridiculous so had not looked there.

Honestly gals I don’t really get the physics of carrying a bucket of water, or doing arm and shoulder movements and having it work my core – upper arm and shoulder sure, but core? The kettle ball has the bending and lifting, but maybe I’m doing everything all wrong but I naturally tense my arms, shoulders, neck and my belly comes along for the ride….

Kim from N. California

Kim - have you gotten to the part in the Strong Women Stay Young book where she tells about buying equipment and ways to do it less expensively?

I got my dumbbells at Walmart - very good price. I already had 3# so started with them. After a couple weeks I was up to 5# (except for Triceps, I'll be there for a while) but have since purchased 8# and 10# dumb bells. This over a period of 5 months, mind you. For ankle weights, I already had 2# weights and then increased to 5# which I did buy at Big 5 - if they don't have them in stock they could order them for you, and then ordered 10# weights off Amazon. I actually strap on the 10# ankle weights then add the 5# on top of them to do 15#. It's a bit cumbersome but it works. I didn't want to spend the $$ on 20# weights, plus it's easier for me to manage 5 and 10 lbs separately.

The Strong Women Stay Young author says to save money, don't buy sets. It will just take longer since a person is doing just one arm at a time.

Also, my physical therapist recommended instead of increasing weights, a person could add another set, which is what I think I might do. This would be a good way to keep building strength w/o impacting the budget.

To be honest, I think I read the book twice through and still refer to it from time to time. I have made myself a log sheet to track progress and every time I work out, I note the lbs, reps, problems. Keeps me motivated!

I am curious about the Kettle Bells and may add that.

Good luck!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    kim google core exercises many you can do with no weights at all. The plank is a great one.

Lois on the North Shore of Ma.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :)Kim, Planks are good for the core. Also body weight exercises are a way to do strength training with no purchased equipment. There are internet videos for doing these things.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    DJ: I am also in event planner hell. >:) Every year a part of my job is designing and managing a national conference for 100+ fundraising executives from around the country. It's taking place next week in Columbus, OH, so my head is swirling with details and loose ends to pull together. This weekend I'll be writing my speeches. Lord help me.

Wendy: Your garden, horses and cats are so magical. o:) Keep your photos coming. It's a wonderful escape from the reality that is my desk.

Kim: One alternative to weights is training with bands. Very economical. When you do these core exercises, if you hold your tummy up and in (navel to your spine) you'll be toning the trouble spot. I like Jessica Smith TV on you tube for a variety of routines, well designed and led. Her yoga inspired "Strength in Stillness" is one of my all time favs.

Between the conference work and the drama with my Hawaii condo sale, I feel like I'm working around the clock. Fortunately, I still maintain my early AM workouts and I'm down a pound this month. Meditation keeps me centered and Mars the leash-loving cat, makes me laugh every day. Life is good.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    Where we are wearing purple and rooting for the Rockies

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Becca, sounds like your sons are doing well. I know how much you miss them.

Dr Katie, I totally understand how you are tired of dealing with your weight. I think it was a good thing for me to take a break and not count calories during vacation. I started my journey in May and had stuck to it faithfully so I was ready for a break. I'm back on again and it wasn't that hard. If you thought you could get back on track afterwards maybe you should give yourself a break. I truly believe that everyone has their own journey to go on in what ever works for them. ((Hugs))

Kim, thanks. Glad Levi's ear is better.

DJ, thanks and glad the new glasses came in early and you are happy with them.

Lanette, I have been thinking about getting some dumbbells so thanks for the info on buying them.

Ok done for the night. I'm beat. The plan for the weekend is to just relax and stay off my foot. Good excuse to just sit and stitch.

Terry (in bed in VT)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Becca, why do you pay a Medical Insurance premium when you have Tri-Care thru military retirement?

DJ (Janet #1) - thank you so much for being the sweetheart that you are.

I think I'm trying to catch a cold (actually trying NOT to) but I've not felt good the last two days and this afternoon after I finished another ornament, it laces up the sides like a corset, I actually went and sat on the couch and made like a potato.

Sorry ladies, no pictures of run-away llamas. Did I ever post the picture of Flash, my Boston terrier, out at the fence kissing his girl friend, Haven the llama? They often kiss thru the fence. It used to be every day but as you all know "puppy love" (pun intended) cools quickly. :)

Have a nice night ladies, much love.

Janetr OKC where the escapees are back in the pasture.
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Becca, why do you pay a Medical Insurance premium when you have Tri-Care thru military retirement?

I think I'm trying to catch a cold (actually trying NOT to) but I've not felt good the last two days and this afternoon after I finished another ornament, it laces up the sides like a corset, I actually went and sat on the couch and made like a potato.

Sorry ladies, no pictures of run-away llamas. Did I ever post the picture of Flash, my Boston terrier, out at the fence kissing his girl friend, Haven the llama? They often kiss thru the fence. It used to be every day but as you all know "puppy love" (pun intended) cools quickly. :)

We have Medicare, for husband, and because he has that he is in "Tricare for Life". I am in Tricare Prime. It is $402 for Medicare, and $70 for me. Medicare pays for hospital, and prescriptions. In the scheme of things its not so bad. The fact that the transplant was covered, as well as all the hospital visits, I am grateful. The cost of the transplant was $125k and I think we paid $300.
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Janetr. The llamas are out standing in their fields!!! They are awesome, so cute!
    Heehee!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    rawa7qrfc8au.jpg
    Bwahaha!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    f5xjjc81zqs4.jpg

Amen to that!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    mrao9mmoeizh.jpg

Oh deer, how cute are thou!
    ( last pic, I just couldn't resist)
    Becca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »

We have Medicare, for husband, and because he has that he is in "Tricare for Life". I am in Tricare Prime. It is $402 for Medicare, and $70 for me. Medicare pays for hospital, and prescriptions. In the scheme of things its not so bad. The fact that the transplant was covered, as well as all the hospital visits, I am grateful. The cost of the transplant was $125k and I think we paid $300.
    Becca

Oh yea, we too have Medicare and Tricare For Life but because we are over 65 it's free now. So we pay Medicare out of our SS checks, I forgot you are NOT old enough yet to get Tricare for Life free. :)

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Mia, I would imagine that the reason the children did not plan and have a Buddist funeral is because ey weren't comfortable tat all and Catholic is what they were comfortable with. You are right, it should have been the deceased plans, not the family.

Mary, both Shep and the Grand Canyon as a backdrop are beautiful. And then your husband isn't to bad to look at either.

Took Michelle to the grocery store tonight. She a,so needed to go to PEtSmart. So it was a long evening for her. She is used to going to Walmart at midnight and not 6 PM so it was a eye opener to go on 6 PM on a Friday night. Quite an eye opener. She isn't feeling as bloated now and is just worried how food is going to affect her since she gets different stories from everyone.mi told her that she is just going to have to try eating and see for herself. She is most afraid of caffeine and how it will affect her without he gall bladder. I don't know how she got that idea??????? One of her dogs has this large ulceration at the base of his tail near his butt and she had to get a soft collar for her own safety when he is on her lap. A bit more expensive than the regular plastic cone of shame. I offered to pay for it but she refused. She singing t take um to the vet to have his anal gland massaged. Sounds kind of gross t me.
    Right now my little precious is running outside my bedroom chasing his wad of paper. It's hard wood floor so I hear every cracpxh against the wall or door. Sometimes that goes on at night if he happens to find something to chase. But he isn't bothering Melody so that is good. The other day charlie took a wad of paper and put a rubber band around it to make it more a ball. It wasn't long that it was last well this morning as I was walking to e bathroom, my feet met this very wet thing on the floor. There was that rubber banded waded up piece of paper, soaking wet. Where had it been????????mdid he put it in the commode then retrieve it. Did he drop it in his bowl of water and then get it out? I hope it was the latter. I know I should let him do it but he loves it when I flush the commode.mhe has to put his paws on the seat and watch until the last of the water goes down that hole. Who knows what goes on in a cats mind in watching that. One day the commode gurgled and he rushed to check it out. I know I shouldn't let him have his pas on it, I know where those paws have been. But he puts those paws on my face and caresses me all the time. At least he hasn't found the toilet paper to drag out on the floor. He is almost 7 months and a teenager now. At PEtSmart there were several husky pups. So precious.

Night night, Joyce, Indiana
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options
    A question ...

When you were going through perimenopause, or now that you're going through perimenopause, did your skin sensitivity change?

Used to be I could wear just about anything and not be bothered by it ... wool, rough acrylic knit, things with tags, whatever. But not anymore. Now I can't stand anything that's not smooth.

Sadly, it would appear I'm going to have to go through my wardrobe and get rid of a whole pile of stuff.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Okay have mostly made it to pg 68. I will post my responses tomorrow
    Thanks for the love and support.
    -Sharon
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3