WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Some of you might find this article interesting ...

How Are Hot Flashes Related to Depressive Symptoms?
    Research sheds new light on menopause symptoms

https://www.verywell.com/hot-flashes-and-depressive-symptoms-4137830
  • Machka9
    Options
    Saturday -- A short ride up the Cycleway and back on a chilly, windy Saturday afternoon. Windy, with gusts as high as 57 km/h.

Distance: 27.0 km
    Elevation: 223 m
    Moving Time: 1:26:40
    Elapsed Time 1:31:20
    Speed: Avg: 18.7 km/h | Max: 29.9 km/h
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    September Summary!
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking)
    March 15: 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    April: 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May: 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    June: 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July 2015: 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug: 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep 2015: 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct: 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov: 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec: 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan: 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb: 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    March 16: 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    April: 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May: 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    June: 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    July 2016: 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug: 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep 2016: 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct: 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov: 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec: 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan: 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb: 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar: 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr: 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May: 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    June: 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July: 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    August: 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min

In August, I ended up within the range I wanted to end up ... between my 2015 August and my 2016 August. I would have liked to get closer to my 2016 August, but a cold/flu/sinus infection kind of took me out of the game.

I see September has been a relatively low-exercise month the last two years ... ideally I'd like to improve on that and do slightly more this year. :)

2017 Monthly September
    Walking Distance (km): 102.7
    Walking Time (min): 1265.0
    Cycling Distance (km): 348.3
    Cycling Time (min): 1030.1
    Stairs Climbed Number: 201.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 160.8
    Rowing Distance: 4.5
    Rowing Time: 30.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 455.5
    Total Distance (miles): 283.0
    Total Time (min): 2485.9
    Total Time (hr): 41:25:51

Onward to October ... in just 4 hours time! :grin:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies...
    Was up at 5 .cool fall morning here.trying to get some stuff done around here.. excited and nervous all at the same time...
    Sure gonna have my furbabies sleeping on my bed..but will be walking them ever day so still get to see them.going to try and get most of the small stuff out today.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Allie (((( <3 ))))

DrKatiebug Everybody gets fatigue with the climb, and taking a little break is perfectly ok, but giving in or quitting is a choice you have, what matters most? (as Barbie would say) Sometimes we all need a breather, something to re inspire, maybe watch for a new opportunity, recipe, activity or person to say YES, it might just give you the boost you need.

Rori I lose sleep planning a simple weekend dinner for folks, but 100 people at a conference, yikes! I'm impressed. Good luck.

My cortisone shot has improved my wrist pain by about 50% and its day 3, doc said it should continue to improve. He told me not to lift heavy things and not use the handles on the ellipticial! I'm also using a new tool to help me tune stubborn pegs on creaky old music instruments, (kind of like the motion you use to open a stubborn jar of pickles) I stop my self from using brute force and get out the wrench, it is important to work the new habits into my life. Oh, and no more texting for me on my phone, voice text is my new tech challenge to learn.

Spending the day with DH visiting him mom, going to enjoy the pretty fall day and not do any home until tomorrow.

NYKAREN
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn. Still have a whole bunch of pages to read to catch up.Ohio is having great Fall weather,so will be taking advantage of that.Going with DD & SIL for a drive of 40 miles thru the hills to see any leaves turning color,then to our fav family restaurant for a late lunch.Today is sunny 70*....just perfect.We'll be celebrating DH & DD's BDs.

SIL is doing ok for now.....such a blessing for DD & family.

As usual the thread is full of lovely pics,people with troubles & others doing well. Sending good thoughts to all. Pat
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Machka, try taking some aspirin or Alieve before you go to bed. Sometimes you have some little aches and pains that you may not notice before you go to bed but may be keeping you from getting a restful sleep. Sometimes that works for me.

I'm actually in the process of getting off all that stuff.

I had been using ibuprofen 2 or 3 times a day for the arthritis in my feet, but I have read recently about heart and stomach issues associated with it, so I decided to get off it, except for times I might really need it.

I went 10 days without it in early September, then used it for 3 days during my period, and now I've been off for 10 days again.

But now that you mention it, that does kind of coincide with the time I've had less restful sleep. So maybe it is just part of the process of going off daily ibuprofen.

I'll also add that I had been drinking chamomile tea just before bed for more than a year, but in the last month or two, I had stopped. I've started drinking it again in the last few evenings. Apparently, chamomile tea is supposed to be somewhat anti-inflammatory, so it might help.

And, after two large cups of it last night, I actually did have a restful night's sleep last night. :)

M in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Some of you might find this article interesting ...

How Are Hot Flashes Related to Depressive Symptoms?
    Research sheds new light on menopause symptoms

https://www.verywell.com/hot-flashes-and-depressive-symptoms-4137830

Interesting, but I don’t think they have got very far yet. A correlation they are seeing n the data, but many factors could explain the correlation without there being much of a true causal relationship shared by these two symptoms. It is certainly an area to keep an eye on, but if anything that amounts to more than speculation comes from it - it will unfortunately be likely a decade or two before it is more than speculative. (Darn it).
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    DrKatiebug - YES! You betcha! You are not alone in that!

Here was my personal approach in case it helps you. At end of August, Five or six months in a row @about 1200 calories a day just became too too much for me to take.

So I took a break, as many have suggested, but a structured break. 1- I did NOT take a break from exercising- I’m not exercising primary for weight loss but for other health reasons. 2- I calculated, best I could, my goal weight maintenance calories. I’ve spent the last month on those calories instead of 1200. 3- ‘A change is as good as a rest’ my mom always told me: so I changed something up. In my case, I considered Keto, LCHF, and Intermittent Fasting. The latter seemed to be the smallest and easiest change for me to implement so that is what I started doing.

This break has helped me a lot! The combo, exercising, still eating at a deficit (a small one, granted) but at a lifelong goal level, plus a change to shake things up has done wonders for that fatigue- similar to what you described.

I have 25 more pounds to lose to exit the overweight category, and probably 40 more to lose to be at a truly good weight for my body frame, size etc. So this break will end soon. But I’m considering another month on break. I’ll decide in the next couple of days.

Maybe something I’ve done here will resonate with you!

Sending you happy thoughts!

Rye
  • Machka9
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    I'm trying so hard to get back on the program. Sometimes you just get tired of the struggle, you know? It does help to look back over how far I've come and realize that it is worth it.

I take diet breaks throughout the process.

When I started, I stuck with it like glue for 16 weeks ... at net 1250 cal/day.
    Then I took a 1-month diet break while I decided what I wanted to do next.
    Then I raised my calories to net 1350 cal/day and stuck to it like glue again for the next 16 weeks.
    And then I reached my goal.

Since then, I've been on and off and on and off ... my attempt at maintenance.

I was meant to be "on" throughout September, but recovering from illness didn't help, and last week was a really weird week. I haven't said much about it here, but ... it was unexpected. So I stayed within my calories about half the days last week.

However, I did stay within my calories yesterday and today (Saturday), and my intention is to stick with it next week.

M in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    NYKaren - I had De Quervain's tenosynovitis which affected my right wrist on the thumb side - thanks to years of using the computer mouse and handspinning. Had a cortisone shot helped for about 6 months then I had surgery to release the tendon and have a slim 1" scar on the inside of my right wrist below my thumb. The usual comment from people who have this surgery is "I should have had it months ago."

If you end up facing surgery, don't despair. The main problem you might run into is the temporary (1 - 2 weeks as I recall with the soft cast) loss of that hand. Fastening things (like bras) and bathroom stuff like handling TP might be challenging if it's your dominant hand. B)

Rori and DJ - I am glad there are folks like you who are good at organizing and executing conferences and retreats. Big jobs! Kudos!

Wendy - Nothing wrong with unicorns! The world needs more of them! <3 How is that little Major pup getting along?

Terry
    - sorry to hear about your sis and the family troubles. Hope your bladder infection is improving!

Becca
    - thank you for all the photos! I am so glad to hear your plans are coming along for the move to Whidbey! And that Owain is on the mend! And I have taped many toes together in my lifetime, lol. It works!

Katla - If that yoga instructor who wants to teach from her home leaves, will you still have an instructor at the gym? I'm sure the gym owner will find out soon enough what she is up to. I would tend to stay on the sidelines and see what happens.

Mia - I too wonder if your friend who passed made her wishes clear. My DH is Catholic and said unless someone of that faith is excommunicated, they can leave the church and join something else but they'll be Catholic till the day they die, lol. Hopefully your Buddhist friend would have wanted peace for her children and if adhering to the Catholic funeral gave them that peace, it was OK.

I once wrote obituaries for a small newspaper in Arlington VA when my DH was stationed out there. I got to know the area funeral directors quite well. One related a story where an older gal passed away and no next of kin could be found. So the funeral director decided to have some fun and really piled on the make-up, gave her a wild hair style and dressed her a jazzy frock = "tarted her up". Well, wouldn't you know it, a cousin DID show up and wanted to see Myrtle before they closed the lid on the casket for good.

The funeral director stood nervously in the background as the cousin checked her out. After a moment, cousin pronounced, "Great job! Looks just like her!"

On that note, I'm heading out for my walk now that it's getting light out. Check back later - Happy Saturday!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Felicia: It sounds as though your gym has a similar system as mine. A former neighbor used to go there for jazzercise and paid by the class. I never could understand her choice other than she would have been paying the whole fee since her insurance didn't cover it. They have loads of money. :ohwell: I'm sorry your doctor is leaving the state and you'll have to find another. Switching doctors is stressful but we sure hit the jackpot when we switched to the woman we have now. She is excellent! I hope your luck is as good. :heart:

Mia: I am not familiar with Buddhist funeral customs, and I'm sorry that you were upset on your friend's behalf. My mom always said that funerals are for the living, and she didn't want one. She thought nobody would come. I ignored her request for no funeral, and the mortuary was packed with long time friends and family. It was also my choice for no private family area. I told the assembled group that if they were there, they were a longtime friend with family status. We were all together in the main room. Many of her longtime friends thanked me for that and nobody in the family was offended. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Yay for your new life! May every day be better than the previous one. :star:

Sue in WA: I didn't mean to be judgmental. Sorry it came out that way. :embarassed:

Kim: Thanks for your perspective. I'm not planning to say anything at this point, but I'm highly disappointed in the lack of ethics in this yoga teacher's attempt to lure paying customers away from the athletic club. I don't love her as an instructor. She is okay but her teaching isn't student centered. She doesn't see where you are and try to help you improve. Instead, she shares her routine with the class, ready for it or not, doing it correctly or not. :grumble:

(((Michele)))

M in Oz: I like chamomile tea. Sleepytime Tea is a favorite of mine. It contains chamomile along with spearmint, lemongrass, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn & rosebuds. I also love peppermint tea. I get my caffeine from coffee and am not fond of black tea but my husband loves black tea. Everyone is different. :wink:

Lanette: I think your advice to stay on the sidelines regarding the yoga teacher is excellent. I'm not going to go to her house, and I'm not going to say any more about it. She is one of several yoga teachers, and the others are more student centered and helpful. I won't be without a teacher. :noway: I wish we could get Chris to come back. He is an excellent teacher and student centered. He watches, and quietly helps a person when they're doing something that will not be good for their own health. Someone was mean to him and I don't think it is likely he'll be willing to come back. :cry:

Today I have a riding lesson. I'm not sure when there will be another one, as my teacher has a tough coarse-load this term and is interning with a veterinary practice. I will be the final student of the day. I don't know how many students she will keep, if any, or whether I'll be one of them. I hope so. She's been a miracle worker for me. :heart: My left foot looks like it has a port wine stain over the area where Arrow's hoof fell on it. There may be a little bit of swelling, but not nearly as much as I expected thanks to the DMSO. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Terry – I’m sorry you had troubles with a sister who was probably bipolar. I am convinced that our DDnL#1 is bipolar. Never know what mood she is going to be in, therefore we walk on eggshells when she happens to be around. DYS won’t come home (like he used to at Thanksgiving) because of her and how he has treated his wife, he wants NOTHING to do with her. Another way she has succeeded in 'hurting me'. She (DDnL#1) is a ‘drama queen’ and even I don’t want to be around her more than I have to. At this point, I am almost ready to tell Louis that I will cook a ham for us; but, just take me 'out to eat' for dinner. Of course, he won't agree with that, because Taylor will be home and she usually makes the dressing - which he likes a lot. Gee, I could get her to fix up a pan, cook it and freeze it in pieces and we could have it with deli turkey when the mood strikes us. I know if DDnL#1 tells me that they will be with her Mother on Thanksgiving Day - I definitely will not want to cook a big meal that weekend. It's a shame that Will and Tami won't invite us to spend the time with them; but, there again, I don't know what their 'traditions' are. Sometimes during the week - child visitation changes from one to the other ON the holiday. The last time they came (the year they married; she and Mallory (drove over the day after Thanksgiving Day to be with all of us. Will was already here. But, after the blow-up between the DDsnL, that won't ever happen again. She has had DOS convinced that we love DYS and his family more than we love them.

I ‘think’ he is beginning to see it, too, just not ready to stand up to her. She got put on Wellbutrin; but, I doubt she is still using it … based of her recent outbursts. A week ago, she came in all exasperated because she had made DMGD ‘drive’ to town. This is a 16-year- old girl who does NOT want to drive and that wasn’t the way to make her more comfortable. She needs to be taking out on the dirt road and small county roads first, not be put on a hilly county highway. She came in to tell us that she ‘guessed she’d have to take her to the MD to get something to settle her nerves; but, did not want her to rely on medication to do so’. I kept my mouth shut; but really wanted to somehow find the words to ask her how her medication was working for her. But, she is like a ‘lot of bipolar people’ … once the medications start working, they go off them. Then, their moods just swing more. I take mine religiously – I don’t want to have to be put in a hospital for 3 weeks to get all my medications straightened out. Been there, done that.

My DOS was supposed to ‘mist’ or ‘water lightly’ all of my plants. He was shown how and how many times to do it. Apparently during our 10-day trip to Louisiana … he came down and ‘overwatered’ ALL of them, killing every one of my 9 or 10 orchids and I’ve had to let my Jade Tree and a cactus … dry out. I’m still not sure they will live. I was so upset and Louis let him know why. I bet he did not do it every 3 days like I told him to. I had watered them the day before we left. Right now I guess I will just throw them out. I’d even gotten them to grow in our glassed-in porch (which isn’t finished – beginning to think it never will be) even though it can get pretty hot in there. I’d prop the door open so it would get some cool night air and had the ceiling fan set on high. Now I need to rearrange everything. I want the Baker’s Rack out there to be put on the deck; and, a bookshelf we have to just be put in the ‘burn pile’. I have a bookshelf that is deep and will hold my art books, some of which are pretty big. I have a 4 shelf one as well. I think I will see how well they will fit and maybe get Louis to spray paint them one of the colors that are in the seat cushions. The floor is just ‘slightly’ slopping and I’m sure I will need a couple of shims so that it will not lean out from the wall. I want to move the painting of Atlanta that we got from DH’s uncle when he passed away.

I apparently missed your quote about the ‘clean house’; but, I have been so far behind that I have skipped over a bunch of pages to start back posting again

Mia – I’ve written down a few things for Louis and I to do when we pass away. Every time I put in the songs I want sung, there is another one that comes out that I either like better or is more to what I want said. Of course, “The Lord’s Prayer” and “Amazing Grace” … but, that 3rd one. At the moment it is “Lay Down Beside Me" by Allison Krause and John Waite. I wonder if I should write my own obituary like (I think it was) Lisa had to do while in school. As for what type of funeral – we’re non-practicing Catholics [mainly because it is a 30-mile trip one way to the closet Catholic Church]. Neither of us are particularly comfortable in the Baptist or Methodist Churches (in town). Trey’s neighbors on the other side is always trying to get us to go with them. We went once. Then a 2nd time only because the Methodist Church was the venue of a school function.

Since Buddhism is more of a ‘spiritual’ thing rather than a ‘religion’ that can be done in a church, cathedral, or temple as a ‘worship’ place … maybe they did not know what to do other than a service in how they grew up and being taught. If their mother left her belief in the Catholic Church and started practicing Buddhism – maybe they did not ‘know’ how to give her a ‘service’ other than a Catholic service (or knew enough about her beliefs to do so), unless she had written it out for them as to what she wanted, or prayers to be said. If she had – then maybe one of her prayers or mantras or whatever it is called in Buddhism should probably have been read. But, there again, in the Catholic Church … they have their service as a funeral and it is usually sort of ‘set in stone’ as to what will be done in the service – when most would be of the Catholic faith attending. I don’t really know. In some ways, I think the funerals are ‘for the living’ as a way to honor the ‘dead’. The dead ones aren’t in a place to care one way or the other.

Katie – For some reason, since getting back from Daytona, I have not exercised … just don’t want to. But, while we were down there walked about 12 miles over 2 days. I’m tired.

Michele – That pool is over in DOS’s yard; I’m just ready for him to ‘open’ it again. Maybe next spring. This year it was ‘green’ … he was hoping to give it to his step-BnL in order to pay back a small loan he made with him. But, I knew that would never fly because it would need a new liner and pump (if moved). IF we could afford it, I’d move it here in a heartbeat. He has just gotten tired of cleaning it and it has made his utility bill go up about $100. I’m sure that Louis has helped him with that bill because I use it. I told him that ‘if’ he would teach me how to clean the daggome thing, I would. He says it is more trouble than he needs. Well, the pool is supposed to be ½ ours. He bought the pool and we paid to have it moved and set-up again. If it stays there and needs a new liner, it also needs to be leveled about 2”.

Amanda being Maria’s daughter? If so, what do you expect – "Children Learn What They Live." If she has seen and heard her Mother tear down and criticize others, she thinks it is the thing to do. I feel sorry for Denise – when she and Pete get married – she will ‘never’ live up to their ‘skewed’ standards. We did a total reversal on the way things got done around here when Trey and Jenn found it necessary to ‘file for bankruptcy [mostly because of Jenn getting credit cards and maxing them out] and then walking out on her job [before having another one to go to].

Just not having a job put them in debt by roughly $6000. Trey does not make enough to pay the necessities and then take on paying school tuition, then everything that Jenn’s income went to. They fought like cats and dogs. I had to ‘remove’ myself from their lives. I did NOT want to hear the bitching. I finally told Trey he needed to ‘man up’ and ‘take control’ of his house and the running of it. For so long as Jenn wore the pants in the family, they would always stay ‘in debt’ to the last nickel. She gets any kind of money and it will ‘burn a whole in her pocket’. Of course, since Trey ‘hides’ money over here … she thinks that Louis is ‘rich’ and giving them money. One night during the 4-months of bankruptcy, she called here and said, 'you better come get YOUR son or else I am going to call the Sheriff on him, he is pitching a fit, I can't deal with this'. I told Louis to go het Trey, I did not know what was going on; but, Jenn was about to have him arrested. He went over and Trey was outside 'smoking'. Louis told him that 'he' should be the one making the 'rules' and to 'go back inside and tell her how things were going to be in the house he was paying for' and came home. He did not get arrested (thankfully). That would have really taken then further down the spiral - and probably could not have been added to the bankruptcy. That is the kind of thing she never considers - what the consequences are to her actions. I cannot help what Louis might do for them; but, after they filed for bankruptcy … and she got this ‘new’’ job making more than she ever has, they had more ‘spendable income’ than we did.

I jerked the portion of the tuition I had been paying out from under them and told Trey that I’d add up the 3x’s we’ve paid their property taxes and write it off that amount until paid in full, and anytime he borrowed money from us (or expected us to pay it) … I’d put it down as being paid by what I ‘would have been paying for tuition’. That stopped in March (in the middle of the open bankruptcy). They don’t have the financial burden now and apparently getting along better. I just ‘still’ don’t want to hear their $#*T! I’m not a part of their ‘drama life’. Don’t want to be. She hasn’t been happy for more years than I care to count out of their 18 years together. She wanted to leave early in the marriage (maybe even before Madison was born). Apparently, he ‘begged’ her to stay. Both Louis and I think that she was so used to ‘bad men’ that he Mother brought home, that when she leaves ‘in a huff’ after a fight, someone talks her back into returning. Dammit! She is always attempting to muddy the waters. I don’t fall for it and now Louis doesn’t. He has one particular ‘joke’ that he will say when he is ‘stressed’ and once, it is ‘funny’ but repeated more than once – I start looking to see what is stressing him out’ and I will make sure it goes away. She tried to make Tami mad because she repeatedly sent text messages to her about what to get Mallory for her birthday. They don’t get good reception out there, so Tami just turns her phone off. Well, that Monday when she took Mallory to school, she turned it on, and got bombarded with all the texts that Jenn had sent … about 10 of them. That was the wrong thing to do – pissed Tami off and she typed out a response, showed Will all the messages and what she had typed to have him check it before sending it. First thing

Will did was call Trey and ask him what the 'Hell'-O Kitty was going on with Jenn, then he told him about the repeated text messages and that Tami did not appreciate it one bit; and, the reason she did not answer her 'immediately' was that they don't get good reception out at the lake place. Trey really had no choice other than to agree with Will. So Tami was given the ‘go ahead’ to send it; and, Trey made her call Tami when he got home to ‘apologize’ to her. So things got ‘smoothed over among them’; then I got the email from Hell. She was mad at Trey, embarrassed to have to apologize, and I was her next target. I did not respond to it, I did not even act like I had even received it. I ‘screwed’ with her mind because I ‘knew’ she’d never make the mistake of bringing it up to me. So basically we see her when we go over there (when invited). We haven’t invited them for meals here. Thanksgiving is coming up and I’d like to think that Will, Tami, and Mallory will come. But, I know that Will’s going to use the child visitation card as to why they can’t. Louis and Trey will probably go out in mid-December to ‘hunt’. Family dynamics just seem to get complicated when an in-law (or out-law in some cases) come into a family that rarely had any issues before then. Got one DDnL#1 – who ‘hates’ my guts; and DDnL#2 who respects and (hopefully) likes me.

Lanette – I am being referred to a PT by my ENT MD because of my ‘dizziness’. Says they can’t do it in their office because insurance won’t pay for it; but, it will at the PT’s office. That doesn’t make sense. He explained that what was happening was the little particles crystalize and if one ear gets stopped up, for whatever reason, they have no place to go than for the other ear to try to compensate and that is what throws me ‘off balance’. Sounds like mumbo-jumbo. But, if he is right he said it would be ‘like a switch has been flipped’. I sure hope it works.

That’s so funny about the funeral director ‘tarting’ up the old lady and then having a kinfolk come in and say, ‘Great job, looks just like her’. Maybe she had represses her ‘charm and tartness’ as she got older; and, this person who had apparently NOT seen her since she was considerably younger and could remember ‘what she was like when much younger’. Maybe she had that ‘look’ to her than made him ‘think’ she’d be sassy enough for him to dress her up and give that tartness back to her. Glad it worked out.

Rori – Hope things will settle down for you will all the things coming up and then you can get some much needed rest.

Janetr OKC – I know my DBnL says that Tri-Care pays very little on things; and, he is ‘on Medicare’ as well. The trick is to find a MD that you like who takes Medicare. Becca might not yet be old enough to get SSI. In that respect paying for health insurance might cost less than having to pay a MD for the balance of what Tri-Care does not pay. When she gets to the age of retirement (if she has worked and has enough quarter-hours of time put in) … then maybe she could get rid of it. But, if she was always a ‘stay-at-home’ Mom, it might be she won’t receive SSI until (or unless) her DH passes away before she does. It might be ‘life’ insurance premiums she is paying for.
    Sometimes makes me wonder if we have enough life; but knowing that will be one of several bills that will ‘go away’ when we pass away, that calms me down. Right now, we would have enough to pay off the house; and, every month we live, the more $$$ we’ll have to pay off the funeral home, and bills that are ‘encumbered’ … like my car. For so long as we have a mortgage on our home, we’ll have to keep insurance so that the other can pay it off. SO, looking for a long and continued happy life.

Becca – My DBnL (sister’s husband) who had a bad stroke last October but has almost fully recovered … or as much as he can (maybe) said his ‘total bill including MDs and Surgeons, and other incidentals was $650,000 and after Medicare and sister’s teaching job insurance … they only ended up maybe about $4000 out-of-pocket expenses.

LOL! With the joke. I will copy that and send it to Tami. Love the other saying and the picture of the deer.

Joyce – Last night; Cracker came to me – just looked at me; went over to Louis and just looked at him. A few minutes later she laid down on the couch. Louis laughed when she was just ‘looking at us’ and said, ‘she wants something; but, don’t know what it is. I leaned up in my chair to look at her and she had the toy that he has been throwing ‘in the house’ and turned to him and said, ‘look at what she has her head on’ … she wants you to throw it and you ignored her. The toys is about the same color as the rug, so he did not see it. He also did not wake her up to do so either; but, he thought it was ‘funny’.

Machka – There are a lot of tags that I cut out because they bother me. I ‘hate’ those little invisible loops that are meant to use to keep them on hangers; but, they are always falling out. I end up ripping them off … the ones that are made of invisible material; the others I cut out with a pair or manicure scissors. My skin seemed to ‘itch’ to the point my GYN put me on a medicated lotion.

Have you been told that you ‘snore’ when you sleep? Sign of ‘sleep apnea’. I got tested for it and I had it bad. Would stop breathing for as long as a little over a minutes, several times during the night, and much shorter periods, and was very restless. Put on a Cpap and unless I forget my bipolar meds, which I take at night because they make me drowsy … sleep like a rock.

One thing my GYN told me when I asked him about the drugs I take and their correlation to dementia or Alzheimer’s is that most of what we read has not been proven and the benefits outweigh the ‘information’ that gets posted on various sites on the Internet. Like a lawyer reads to find out if certain laws have been changed or new ones have been passed, I am pretty sure that doctors spend time reading about new things in medicine. I don’t Google my symptoms. I am confident that he has me on certain medication for the intended reason they are meant for. I also know ‘if’ I am having an interaction/reaction to something. My pharmacist will call the MD, if something ‘new’ has prescribed for me will not work as intended because of the other medications I take. I need to give him a copy of my medication list so he can add them to what he fills. That way he will have all my information in the store computers.

Allie – Gee, sounds like child visitation … only get to see them to walk them for TomCat. It’s a real shame you can’t have your fur babies with you. Is that because of the ‘old owner’ or something that is a rule of the condo?

Lenora
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Lenora - the "dizzy" procedure is the one I did for DH by looking it up on the Internet. It's on Utube. I found it very easy to follow and it was a "miracle". The only problem was DH felt absolutely horrible while I was actually doing it, but I was firm with him.

Mostly spent the day doing last minute laundry and making lists of stuff to take. Recorded my tv etc.
    Watched "The Descendants" with George Clooney. Very good. I was thinking about Rori while I was watching it as it's about Hawai.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Lenora - It's called the Epley manoeuvre. Written instructions you can print off and a Utube video which I found very helpful. Of course, if the PT is not costing you dollars then go to them. It wasn't difficult though.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Spent a couple hours at the gym this morning. 30 minutes core. Ate a quest bar. 30 minutes walk/run (first time in two weeks). 60 minutes of centergy. A pilates/yoga hybrid. The instructor said, when someone asked, that she burns 300 calories an hour. I log it as Pilates and burn about 150, according to mfp. 300 seems high for vigorous stretching, but that's what her fitness tracker records. I think 150 is high, but we do generate a lot of heat doing it.

Hubby got home from Toronto this morning, so he will likely sleep most of the day.

I hope everything is okay Machka.

I am excited for you, Allie.

I was down in weight a little this morning, so I am going to stick with maintenance calories for now. Still eating less than that, but it is psychologically easier to come in under the goal for the day than over.

I hope everyone enjoys their day today.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon