WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »

Felicia - I had an internet acquaintance who got really into trail running. Do you have to do anything special to protect your ankles and knees?

-Yvonne in TX

Yvonne -- I don't do anything special to protect my knees or ankles. Thinking back, I'm not sure I've ever fallen while trail running -- it requires me to slow down and watch every step carefully. On the other hand, I have fallen, and still have scars from falling, while running on pavement. Sidewalks are treacherous. In Kansas, especially when it was very hot, I would run late at night (we're talking midnight) with a head lamp. I took a really bad tumble one night and scrapped up both palms and a knee -- A lesson in humility! :blush: My first thought as I skidded across the ground was, "Please God, don't let anyone see me!"

I do have different shoes I run in, however. The soles are sturdier so it doesn't hurt as much when I step on a pointed rock or a sharp stick. My favorite trail run included a river crossing. One spring, the water was near waist deep on me. I actually ran in a skirted swimming suit bottom so it would dry quickly once I was back out of the water.

So much fun. I love running on trails. I have a sticker on my car that says "Pavement Sucks!"

I am talking myself into signing up! :+1:

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lenora ~ Hugs for all of you! So sorry!
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, Lenora. I will pray for your family, especially your son and daughter-in-law. :disappointed: Having suffered with infertility for years myself, I remember all too well the pain and disappointment of not conceiving.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lenora so so sorry for the sad news. Sending healing and strength to your son and daughter in law. <3

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Evening Ladies~
    Have a thunderstorm coming through... just checking in... Lenora so sorry to hear about the baby, and No there isn't much to say except the whole family is in my prayers.. xoxox
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Lenora - prayers for all of you.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Lenora, my heart goes out to your family. I tried for years you have a child so I understand what your family is going through. This is something that affects the whole family. Don't forget to grieve yourself. This is a loss for you as well. I only found peace when I stopped trying and decided to adopt. Not sure if they are in a place to think of this as an option. My daughter didn't grow under my heart but in it. Having a child does not make you a parent. It's the day to day raising of a child that does that . ((((HUGS)))))

Terry in VT
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Hey all! First off a big hug and So sorry about the baby Lenora. My heart just aches for your son and his wife. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers tonight.
    Michelle- Ugh! So hard to show grace and class when what you really want to do is knock some one on their *ss! >:) But straighten your shoulders and march in and be the wonderfully classy, graceful, kind mama that you are. I am sure your daughter feels intimidated by her new mother in law and doesn't want to cause any friction at this time in their relationship. AND if you have had a great relationship with your daughter, I am sure she knows that you will always love her and think of her happiness. She will be looking/hoping for that love and support (and understanding). My sympathies! o:)

Okay, need some input on a...slightly risque topic. There have been a few times in the past couple months where I REALLY don't want my hubby to touch me. For instance; I got into bed last night, and he came in a few minutes later and started rubbing my back. I actually had to clench my teeth to keep from screaming "God! give me a break! No!" He knows that I have been tired, and sore/achy the past few days; but here he is. This has happened before. And it's not even that I am that tired or that sore; it just feels like one more thing that some body wants from me. It makes me want to pull my hair out of my head and run out of the house. We have a great sex life, in fact, better now that the kids are grown and out of the house. Is this a menopause thing? Is there a nice way to say " I love you, but the thought of having sex right now makes me want to commit hari kari?"

thanks in advance for the advice ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    p.s. Keep me in your thoughts as we wait to hear how my mother and sister in law in Puerto Rico survive Irma. It's a category 5 and heading right towards then. They are being told that they expect to lose power for 4 months. We may have to bring my MIL to live with us for a while. That's if we could get her to leave. I'll keep you all posted.

Terry in VT
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Lenora - So sorry for your and your family's loss... and my heart goes out to your daughter-in-law... I count myself lucky that, as hard as I tried and failed to have a child, at least I never miscarried. So many women do, and it is such an awful thing, especially when there was such hope. :'(

Lisa

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have a question for those of you with Instantpot; which one do you have? Do you wish it was bigger or smaller? Happy? We're getting ready to order one & I'd really like your advice. :flowerforyou:

Katla in smokey with ash falling NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lenora: I am so sorry for your loss. HUGS!

There are many with storms and I wish them well. Please put Oregon in your prayers, too. We have a wildfire burning that was caused by kids and has decimated thousands of acres of forest and threatens homes and communities east of Portland along I-84E. It has the potential to affect Washington communities on the north side of the Columbia River as well. Please send good thoughts &/or put us in your prayers. This event is many miles east of me and my home is not at risk for anything other than poor air quality. The value to my state is very high.

Katla in smokey NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Sad news - DDnL#2 lost the baby.

Very sorry to hear that.

Has she ever been checked for Factor V Leiden or MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase)?

Both are genetic blood disorders which cause clotting but also make it extremely difficult for a woman to carry a child to term.

I have MTHFR ... and have been hospitalised with DVT ... and have never managed to carry a child to term.

However, if she has one of those genetic mutations, there might be something the Drs can do. At the very least, for me, it gave me some comfort to know that I hadn't done anything wrong.

M in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Hi all: It is ugly and smokey here today, the light has a weird quality to it. The YM pool was finally open again today after three weeks of repairs. It was very clean and inviting. Yeah!

Lenora - So sad, wishing all of your family peace.

Terry in VT - The earrings are gorgeous but I would not wear them because I do not like dangly ones.

Janetr - Your ornaments are beautiful. You remind me of my mother who does cross stitch. People tell her she should sell it but she says after all the time and effort she puts into it she only makes things for people she loves.

Ginger - Thank you so much for the information. I use chia, flaxseed and sunflower seeds. May have to try the psyllium husks.

Michele - I agree with everyone else, please see your way clear to putting in an appearance.

Toni - Sending strength and angels.

Rori - The air show sounds like a fun time.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Lenora ... thinking of your family ...
  • klanders30
    Options
    katla I just bought the smaller 6-quart mini-duo instantpot with 7 functions (yogurt button). It's just the two of us now, but it makes plenty of rice, broth, soups. But it won't feed a big crowd. I did a lot of surfing through forums that included YouTube clips showing how it works and if it would be the right size for us. I am glad I got this "mini-duo". It was the right price as well about $79 on sale. Others may want the 8-quart but it really takes up room on the counter and the mini is about the size of my old rice cooker which just broke :s Sorry I can't find the exact link, but just type in 6 quart vs 8 quart instant pot and you should get plenty of research. Instant pot fanatics are prolific and passionate.

NYKAREN
  • klanders30
    Options
    Kelly oh boy, I'm blushin' :o Having gone through similar scenario, I had to find a time to talk to DH outside of the bedroom about how I was feeling. Also, I think it is not a bad idea to talk with Gyn about the joys of menopause and libido :# You guys deserve to keep a good thing going, but there's ebb and flow in every relationship ( <3 )
    NYKAREN
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Lenora - so sad to read the news.

Becca and Re - you will be missed! Come back when you can!!

Janet - those ornaments are mesmerizing....when I saw the detail - wow! How long does it take you to make one? I bet it's therapeutic and rewarding to create each one, I can see why your family treasures them.

Katla - I hadn't heard about the fires down along the Columbia, I'll have to listen to the news. About noon today a thick and smoky haze drifted down on us. Likely blowing in from the east from Mt. Rainier area or Skamania county near Mt. St. Helens. Everyone here is just about counting the minutes until the wind changes direction and starts coming in from the ocean and bringing moisture. I don't have lung problems per se, just allergies, and I can't be outside for more than a couple minutes.

The only good thing is that it didn't get quite as hot as predicted.

Lanette
    doing a rain dance in SW WA State