WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    :)Mary, I have been at my goal weight for years and continue to log food and exercise every day with very rare exceptions. When I eat food that is not usual to me (like pizza or ice cream ) I feel different enough to spur me to return to my healthy plan. I will never again be a "normal eater " Instead, I am grateful to have a solution that keeps me healthy.

<3 Barbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    (((Mary))) you may feel this way because of the carbs and stress. Is it hot down there? Heat also can make you retain extra fluids. Give yourself a week or two to get back on track. If there is a weight gain you know you will get yourself back in routine quickly and off goes those pounds.

:heart: Margaret
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

KarenVA, another baby on the way???? Wooo hoooo

Wendy, so glad your family in PR is safe.
    Joyce, I don’t think you have a split personality, I think you are possessed. ewwwwwwwwwwwhalloween-ghost.gif

Allie, I would think it’s normal to have every emotion in the book but you are doing GREAT! Just think of us there with you every step of the way. I’m excited for you and the great life ahead.

Heather, I know the BD cake will be darling. I trust you will share a picture.

Elaine, congrats on the loss. Keep up the great work.

MichelL, welcome. Where in NC? We have ladies around Charlotte area and that is where I moved from 10 years ago.

Pip, glad you and Kirby made the trip fine. Enjoy the run.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

This morning when we got up the weather channel said that Irma has turned slightly to the west so it looks like it will miss us. I’m sure we will get some wind and rain but will only be a tropical storm by the time it passes us to the west. I’m so sorry for all those in its path but happy we don’t have to hit the road with three dogs. Just praying for Florida to get through it with minimum damage. MicheleNC, I hope you don't get much wind. CarolGA, Kay and others, please stay safe.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have been at maintenance now for three years 9 months. I still log food and exercise every day. (Apart from on this latest cruise when I did not log food) Like Barbie I do not have a "normal". I am a food addict. I will never be normal. Only calorie counting works for me. I have found that a lower carb strategy works best as I am not eating too many empty calories, but I am not too rigorous about that and I don't worry about macros and micros. Just healthy eating. Lots of veggies. Cooking from scratch. Rare meals out. I consider myself very lucky in that I am retired and able to have a routine. Upheavals, tiredness, illness, injury, working full time, caring duties, all make it so much harder to stick to a routine. Then strategy and planning come into play. Plus it is important not to have unrealistic expectations - like trying to stick to 1200 calories or hoping to lose pounds too quickly. :noway: Slow but sure is the way to go.
    Lisa, Janetr, Mary - Yes, it is all in the head and we must be kind to ourselves. Stress is always the biggest stumbling block. Figuring out what is stressing us and taking steps to deal with it is the key. Often we expect far too much of ourselves and soldier on regardless. We can always see what other people are doing wrong, it's obvious, but it is so much harder to look at our own lives with clarity.

Watching the news and hoping for the best.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Mary, I can feel "fat" if I haven't weighed myself or if I eat something off-diet. I can't just look at my own body and tell whether or not I have gained weight and my clothes will still fit even if I am ten pounds over my goal. (then all of a sudden they are too tight!) That's why I try to weigh myself daily so that I have my finger 'on the pulse of my fat'. LOL I know some people would think I'm obsessed or have a body image disorder, but I think of it like I am piloting the plane of my body. Pilots constantly check their instruments and make little adjustments to stay on course. If you don't have that feedback, you might end up in tenbukto. LOL. I need scale weight feedback to know if I need to cutback, workout more, or just keep on doing what I'm doing. I track my period so I know when my two pounds water weight are going to jump onto the scales, and I mentally adjust for them. I also am aware that if I eat a lot of carbs or salt, my body will hold onto water to compensate. I actually find "maintaining" near impossible. I am always either gaining or losing! How do you maintain Barbie? <3 Wendy
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies~
    got home a bit ago and stress ate... they are changing things up a bit at work, which always rattles me, and then look at Hurricane Irma that has moved , and the eye of the storm will be going right over our place in Florida, which is a double wide.I can only pray by some miracle it gets spared.. but it is highly unlikely..hoping all my friends down there are safe.... working tomorrow...
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the feedback on my question! I bit the bullet and weighed myself and was pleased to see I was still at maintenance level! I know I was paranoid because of not being able to exercise and drinking a lot of Mountain Dew and eating a lot of carbs. I agree that I do better when I do enter everything into my diary.

<3

Mary from Arizona (Minnesota)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Beth--Sending good thought for DS's job.

Terry--pray your foot feels better soon and that you get to enjoy your vacation.

Barbie--New house color looks nice. Going to look very spring like.

Janet--Beautiful.

Allie--I know a lot of changes at one time can push you over the edge. But remember all the good things to look forward to. Sorry Irmma is heading towards your place, I pray everyone stays safe.

So far have the weekend off and DH and I have plans so looking forward to that.
    Take care, Blessings, Vicki Grand Island, NE
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Pip - is Kirby standing in the RAIN in that picture? Looks like puddles on the street. I am jealous. Our sprinkles were just that yesterday afternoon.

Getting started early with some Mike's lemonade sounds fun, lol.

DH and I had a conversation about building a house last night... turns out he really wants to stay in this place until he takes his final breath. So will table it for now.... who knows, he might change his mind. He said it would be too stressful on him to move and I tend to agree.

Lanette
    SW WA State

Nope, it's overcast tho
  • pipcd34
    Options
    d9yi190qwc50.jpg
    fs499l7df41m.jpg
    du3qpj8vgmbp.jpg

New ice maker, ice crusher for my wine the way I like it!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well here I am, back to being me! I don't know what I did so if I lose myself another time, I am clueless.

Lannette, I was so hoping those sprinkles would turn into some rain for you guys. I have family in Seattle and worry about them.

Pip, love the flamingos in front. I bet those people in a tent. Whine you are a bit jealous. Have fun and be safe. Are the people you are around there the same every year?

Spent most of the day on the phone with my internet security. So,e of you know I am a procrastinator and let it expire. So I bought another year and tried to download it and noting happened so I broke down and called tech support. I really, really needed to do so,e bills on my on line banking but I wanted my security to be up to date. Well they wanted remote access and I was hesitant to do that since every person I talked to sounded foreign. So I tied it by myself again with no results and gave in and allowed them access. When I saw what she was doing remotely, I recognized that I have allowed it before so I must have done it before. But this lady was very professional and said no apology was needed and that I didn't need to say anything else. But I said that I did need to explain. I told her I was a woman near 70 and everyone I was talking to sounded foreign. I didn't know if I could trust them I asked her if she had ever have anyone say they were going to do somethinf and they didn't and it hurt. So anyway, she finished the job, scanned it afterwards, made sure I had my icon and my B/P went down. I got my bills paid.

Now I am going to go out and spend some more money. My New Balance shoes are really worn out so off to Shoe Carnival!

I also feel very overwhelmed here at times and have considered not posting. But you women have been my family for many years and I just can't see leaving you. You are my rock. Thinking of you, even the ones I can't remember your names still keeps me busy every day. My prayer every night seems to be getting longer every night just saying my prospers for so many of you..

I don't know what Mozart was up to this morning but when I put the fresh water bowl down on the floor this morning he put his paw in and just started throwing water out on the floor very aggressively! Soon the floor was flooded and the bowl empty. Well, the floor got cleaned pretty well!

Joyce, Indiana the real me!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Kmkmom - yup, a lot of regulars. It's a nice community. I have a bit of a headache, I hope it goes away soon
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
    SueBDew I TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)Wendy . my weight stays within the same few pounds. It goes up if I eat in a restaurant because of the sodium then returns slowly to where it was before. I eat the same now as I did when I was losing weight and seek every opportunity to be active. I eat the same meals over and over. When I cook, I fix exactly what we'll eat and create no leftovers to be a tempting unnecessary treat later. I am exactly opposite of Heather in my eating. I don't create interesting meals and I rarely eat out. I found a plan that works for me and I stick to it. I decide ahead of time what I'll eat for the whole day and stay with the plan. If someone offers me a treat, I decline it, no matter what it is. I weigh myself in the morning and at bedtime in exactly the same clothes and write the weight down. Maintaining my health is a matter of life and death for me and I treat it with respect.

:)Monique welcome to our friendly supportive community. I found this thread and MFP at age 62 and am now 71. I hope you will come back every day (or more than once a day) and join the conversation.

:)Joyce, One of the great things about this thread is that we are all welcome equally whether we respond to everyone or to no one. It's a safe conversation. Sometimes I'll read for days and say nothing and other times I'll respond several times a day.

:'( The rain is good for the environment but has postponed further painting until at least Tuesday. We waited a long time to decide to paint it, so we can wait a little longer to get the job finished.

:)Pip, It all looks great at your campsite. I wish you a relaxing evening, good sleep, and a great ride.

:)Allie, stay in the moment and a lot of the stress will take care of itself.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington