WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Felicia, my husband is from Cuba and we don't go. You can tell him that. There are only certain places they will let you go, mostly touristy places so you won't see what it really is like. One reason we don't go is that we don't want to give any money to a dictator. My husband rarely has contact with his relatives and when he does it is through letters that people smuggle out. If he talks on the phone, he hears the clicking noise of people listening in. There is so much going on there that it would fill pages and pages. Pick somewhere else to go. We love Spain! and Spain has beaches!
    Terry in VT

Terry -- my dissertation director is from Cuba, and he said the same thing as your husband. Until there was a regime change, he was not interested in visiting.

My husband has been to Spain. I think one of the draws to Cuba for him was the passport stamp. :smirk:

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    Options

Carol The Pom Princess and the Pea

Karen in Virginia

That is so funny, Karen. I can just see the picture book of this story. :lol:

Felicia
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Well, our trip is booked! :sunglasses: We are going to Cabo. We checked the murder rates, and more Americans have been killed in Chicago this year (by nearly 100) than have died from all causes in all of Mexico this year. Since we have been to Chicago numerous times, and even taken our children, we feel okay about Cabo. We will be smart. Even when we were in Costa Rica, which is extremely safe, we didn't run around after dark (except when on resort property). We will follow the same protocols in Baja.

My husband has Hilton and Marriott points, so we will stay at the Hilton beach-side resort for the first couple nights, and then move inland about 10 minutes to a Marriott branded hotel. We did the same thing when we visited Costa Rica, and it worked out great. We got to have a few days of extreme comfort and spoiling, then regular hotel the rest of the trip.

Now to figure out what to do with my children.

Ahh . . . . New Year's in Baja.

Felicia
  • OregonMother
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Coyotes are howling in the distance so the dogs didn't want to walk before breakfast. I hope they 'll be gone by the time I finish meditating so we can go on a good walk.

I miss that sound. We would often hear them when we lived in Kansas. They used to come by the house when we had a collie and torment her. Our cat used to sit on the front porch and watch them walking up and down the dirt road. Crazy cat.

Felicia
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Felicia, your Cabo trip sounds wonderful and your precautions sound like good advice to any travelers.

Personally, I love to save the spoil myself portion of trips for the end (work up to the best part) but that probably makes re-entry to the real world tougher.

Rye
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I want to echo Lanette's advice. I had horrible pain and sweats at night that got worse and worse. It turned out to be my gallbladder. I had a gallstone and had to have the gallbladder removed. Most people have many smaller stones and they clog the duct leading away from the gallbaldder. I had only one, and it was the size of a robin's egg. I haven't missed it for a moment. (((HUGS))) I have always wanted to see a Tasmanian Devil that wasn't in a cartoon. What a cute thing! Thanks for the picture. :bigsmile:

Sharon: Our air quality is better than it has been for a while thanks to a favorable breeze. They're making progress on the fire in the Columbia Gorge, but it is not contained yet. Yesterday friends in Hood River were concerned that their home might be threatened. I am so sorry that your DH has been a jerk to you lately. I don't have any advice to offer, other than it isn't your fault and you are wise to protect your finances. It is harder to protect your feelings of self-worth when your partner is chipping away at them. :cry: :flowerforyou:

Lisa: My mom used to say, "Everyone is queer except me and thee and I sometimes wonder about thee." In her mind, "queer" meant "weird" and wasn't an insult she aimed at the gay community. The power of words is enormous and we seem to have been polluting our language by turning many perfectly good words into insults. :ohwell:

Barbie: Several years ago a pack of coyotes moved into our residential neighborhoods. They targeted cats and small dogs being walked on leashes. Some people took to carrying baseball bats along on their walks and others used guns. The police discouraged using guns but told us that if we did, the bullet could not legally leave our personal property. The coyotes are not here anymore due to a variety of people taking action. I would not underestimate coyotes. They often work together as a pack. :grumble:

I went to a city committee meeting last night and it ended about midnight. Today I skipped yoga due to lack of energy. I plan to get my rest and go to yoga tomorrow. It has worked miracles for me and I miss it when I don't go often enough.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Katla--This last time I had a mammo done they used the 3-D and I thought it was a lot less pain and really good picture. Good luck.

Mary--So sorry to hear that they are jerking around DH about the job. Praying something better comes a long.

Machka--I have never see a picture of the Tasmanian Devil. They are cute, but look like they could be mean. Thanks for sharing.

Another busy and crazy day at work, trying to stay caught up. Blessings, Vicki Grand Island,NE
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Mashca, thank you for the pictures of the Tazmanian Devil. I don't think I would have nightmares of that cute thing although it might be in a dream someday. Hope you are feeling better.

My daughter finally got some action on whatever is going on with her health. Both her gall bladder ultrasound and Hyda scan were ok but our Doctor still feels it is her gall bladder so she has an appointment with a surgeon next week. She is worried bout her job since they gav to got her FMLA forms filled out right yet. So she is going back to work tonight. She is so depressed. She is a person that no matter how she felt she went to work or cared for hers and others dogs or helped some one move. She just kept on going. But she doesn't now. ThAts what I worry most about.

Joyce, Indiana
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 NYKAREN
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

MicheleNC, it’s sad that you still get so upset when you think about the shower. I’m just glad it’s over because I knew there would be something that would happen. That is so sad about your webmaster and so young. Michele, I certainly care that you were hurt at the shower but I think you should drop it. Saying anything to Marie would only give them pleasure if it was their intention to insult you. Right now they aren’t giving that situation another thought and you are the one stewing over it. Just try your best to move on and look forward to the wedding. I just feel like you will be sorry later if you confront either of them about it. (I’ve been in a similar situation and opened my mouth when I wished later that I hadn’t. And I was much younger then.) Okay about the critters… maybe a picture that just shows two or three around the pool. It doesn’t have to be a close up. And watch what you ask for because I may just show up at your pool some day. LOL

Dana, Hi. If you miss two days you just have to skip posts or you’d never catch up.

Katla, glad the mamo went well. Hope the results are good.

Sharon, I’m so glad your DH at least was trying to be civil today. I hope things get better for both of you.

Heather, I’m sorry to hear that your cough may be with you a while longer. I would hope you would mention it to your doctor while you are there.

M,. and how was your chocolate yogurt? It sounds better to me. I just don’t eat vanilla. I do like the one’s with fruit.

Tere, sorry to hear you are depressed. Sending lots of love and support your way and wishing you a speedy climb to higher ground.

M, those little devils are so cute….well until I got to the picture with the mouth open like it was ready to eat someone. Lol

Felicia, I’ve never been to Cabo as we stay in the East but all the friends that have been there absolutely loved it. Have a blast.

Lanette, congrats on the NSV. You are doing great!!!

Joyce, I hope your DD improves immediately. What’s the holdup with her FMLA form? Did they not give her one to fill out?

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    Do any of you use those copper skillets? And if so, so you like them? I don’t know what my DD is doing to my small skillet but she is wearing it out. I think I’ll replace it for me and let her keep using it. I know she has cut things in the pan as the bottom has knife marks. ppffttt

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am looking for a buddy who is also female, over 50 and either a weightlifter or a powerlifter...? Anyone like me? thanks.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    I had a very welcome nap this afternoon after a long coughing fit. Fell asleep for an hour on the sofa. Felt much better afterwards.
    I was too tired to make the birthday cake this afternoon.
    The flu jab tomorrow is organised with military precision. It is at most a thirty second window. One day to inoculate all the over 65s in the practice. I will mention my cough, but I don't think they will be very receptive, or have time to attend to me. They'll just say, make an appointment. I'm pretty sure I don't have a temperature. Not looking forward to Friday as I always get a reaction to the jab. Generally knocks me out for half a day. :o:(

Tere, Mary's DH , so sorry about the job situation. Very stressful. My elder son still has no permanent employment after a year. I can't help worrying, but I think he is in better spirits. He is posting on Facebook, so I think he is ok.

Off to bed soon to sleep in the spare room. I can feel DH beginning to get a bit frustrated at the lack of conjugal action with this cough, but any exertion sets me off. He is also suffering, but less so than me. We are both low in energy.

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Heather here if you are sick they do not like to give you the flu shot. I am getting mine this Sunday at church.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    up with the pooch and fed Faith ,,,and just hanging out .. going out with Doris tomorrow..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @ChinnyDee All you need to do is come back often and jump right in. There is a pale star at the top right corner of this page that you click on to bookmark the thread so you can find it again. Do you want to be called Dee?

Karen in Virginia
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone old and new, I read every post like some Soap addict, LOL, but I don't have time to comment on every thing. Just know that I enjoy hearing about your lives, long distance over here in New Zealand. I did my long run yesterday of an hour forty, with my jack russell Jock, and while out in the forest, a very fast rabbit woman passed me (the turtle), and slowed briefly to tell me she was practicing for Adventure Racing, which is a combo of running, mountain biking and kayaking. Sounds so fun! I would need to update my old bike and buy a kayak, and get my van fixed so I could do some road tripping...Dreams are free! I would like an excuse to do some cross-training. I am hopeless at swimming and I am afraid of the ocean and I hate cold water, so I wouldn't want to do a triathalon, but I do like kayaking and a kayak has been on my wish list for a few years now. So I am adding Adventure Racing to my Ten Year Medium Term Goals list. Also on that list is walking the Camino de Santiago, which my daughter did while she was living and teaching in Spain, some years ago. She talks about her adventures often and longs to go back again to do a different "way". I have listened to lots of audio books written by people who have done the pilgrimage. One day... <3 Wendy