WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Wendy Oh boy, I misread what you wrote, I thought you said you were passed by a rabbit who stopped to tell you about its adventures running mountain biking and kayaking... before I could reread it to see if I missed a line about you dreaming or something the image popped into my head.

You standing on a scenic running trail looking down at this rabbit. His nose twitching at you while he is straddling his mini bike with a mini rabbit sized kayak on his back! If I had an ounce of drawing ability i'd be off to sketch it now!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,722 Member
    Options
    Welcome new peeps
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hee hee hee, Rye, if you could have just seen the real Rabbit Woman. She passed me like my legs were stuck in concrete. I spent the next hour trying to figure out why I run so slowly, and if there is any way I can make myself run faster. I started that run feeling like Superwoman's sister, able to run entire forests in one hour forty, and I finished the run feeling like Turtle Woman. LOL
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Sharon ... so sorry to hear that your husband treated you poorly. Whatever his reason, I hope you remember that nothing he said was true. Hugs ...

Michele ... let it go ... Joyce has given you good advice. Forgiveness is not about absolving someone of bad behavior ... it's about releasing the hurt and anger so you can move on.

I am eating like a cow ... nonstop grazing. My husband accused me of shrinking his clothes in the wash tonight ... umm ... I think they're shrinking alright but not from my laundering!! He's grazing right along with me. That needs to stop for both of us.

I need to find something to wear to an evening wedding in October. My legs have gnarly protruding veins and I don't own dresses anymore as a result. Are pants ok for a wedding? I was thinking maybe some chiffon or wider leg pants with a fancier top. What do you think? I know that no one cares anymore what you wear, but I fuss and want to feel comfortable.

Beth near Buffalo
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hee hee hee, Rye, if you could have just seen the real Rabbit Woman. She passed me like my legs were stuck in concrete. I spent the next hour trying to figure out why I run so slowly, and if there is any way I can make myself run faster. I started that run feeling like Superwoman's sister, able to run entire forests in one hour forty, and I finished the run feeling like Turtle Woman. LOL

Oh, I know the feeling. I get on my bike and 12 to 15 minutes later I'm at the gym and it feels like I went so fast! Then my watch brings me back to the slo-mo reality that is so slow I'm embarrassed to admit ( I'll tell you this, Machka & Pip and any other cyclists, please stop reading I'm exhausted from the ride, my heart regularly gets to over 150 on the ride and my watch usually gives me a whopping 25 to 30 calories burned - that is how slow and bad I am!)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Oooh made some pinto bean soup w/ bits of ham in it. For a moment I almost thought about putting shredded cabbage in my part, but then realized beans and cabbage is a recipe for disaster for my innards! I have connected this site with Facebook, because it gives me encouragement to see when I have logged my food for the day, or lost some weight. My cousin commented on a comment I posted about that I was under construction and to bear with me. She told me about the Keto diet. Said if I wanted to see results to do that. I like my grains bread, my multicolored rice, and my crisp breads! I wanted to state that but my cousin and I don't really see eye to eye on things.

Wrote again to my boot camp son today. Listening to music, and sitting at his desk helps. I told him sadly I can't empathize, because I have never gone thru what he is going thru. I can tell him that there is many people thinking, supporting and encouraging him! When things are a struggle I hope he thinks about that. He writes every week, and he is still trying to pass the physical tests required. He is doing pushups after TAPS, and whenever he can find time. Hopefully his commanders will see his commitment.

Well we might do an evening constitutional walk tonight. Hopefully there won't be bugs about!
    Hugs ladies!
    Becca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,427 Member
    Options

I need to find something to wear to an evening wedding in October. My legs have gnarly protruding veins and I don't own dresses anymore as a result. Are pants ok for a wedding? I was thinking maybe some chiffon or wider leg pants with a fancier top. What do you think? I know that no one cares anymore what you wear, but I fuss and want to feel comfortable.

Beth near Buffalo

Beth - I think nice black pants and a dressy top would be fine. That's my vote! I hear you on the dresses and skirts and anything torturous like panty hose, lol.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    I love a good lightning and thunder storm. Could not believe my family allowed me to sleep right through one just after I got my Cpap and was sleeping 10+ hours a night. Even the kids came down to stay and I did not even know they were here. I like the smell of the air right before a good storm. We’ve sat on our swing on our deck and watched the rain march right up to us and then wind gusting so bad we had to go inside; then came the lightning and thunder. Used to be told it was the ‘angels’ bowling!

I need to copy a picture of my new ‘dish rack’. Dishwasher ‘died’ last week, just in time for Irma and we had no power for 2 days. No electricity, no pump on the well, no water. So when the dishwasher went out last week, I had to drain the nasty water from the bottom of it and took out the bottom rack and have been using it as my drain board. About 6” too big for the side of the sink; but, a folded dishrag fits the bill. I hope it can be fixed. Today the phones went out; so I had to unhook them and take them to the battery store. Fixed 2 out of 3. The screen on the 3rd one (actually phone #1) doesn’t show up; but, as long as it rings it is outside in my studio. When I got the batteries; I apologized to the guy for paying ‘in quarters’ … he told me, ‘Sweetie, we can always use change … thank you’!

Guess now that I have busted my big toe with a 1lb 15.7 ounce glass beer mug; maybe, I will try to ‘obey’ Louis when he tells me to ‘put shoes on’. It bled like a ‘stuck pig’. I guess I will probably end up either losing the toe nail or having it ‘black’. It is still ‘throbbing’ 3 hours later! So back into my boot. Can hardly walk on it; but, ‘big toes’ are your balancing digit. Shoes and bra are the first thing that come ‘off’ and the ‘last’ thing I end up putting on.

Sister back in Miami; but, with her son and his partner since she still does not have power.

Michele – I tried holding a ‘plank’ and apparently either did not have the correct form, or tried too long. Trey came over and showed his Dad what it was. He said while doing it … after just a few seconds that it was ‘burning’. But, it is supposed to really work the abs. I need to try it again; but, until my big toe settles down, I definitely won’t be able to do it. Don’t want to ‘throw out my back either’.

Sharon and Allie – TomCat LizardLarry might decide he rather ‘go to jail than give up the big bucks’ until he spends the night with 4 other guys using the same smelly toilet that won’t flush and if he is ‘mouthy’ might get his @$$ whooped. I guess because my work history is most in the legal field and that neither my Daddy nor Louis ever have laid a hand on my Mother or me. I find it difficult to understand why an ‘abused’ woman (especially a ‘battered’ one) stay with a man who is abusive. It doesn’t get any better – usually a lot worse. IF one ‘nips’ it in the bud; then often they will realize that you aren’t gonna take their $#*T. Straighten up or ship out. Like they said, ‘don’t let the screen door bump you on the @$$ as you leave’. But, like Allie; you have to decide where that ‘breaking’ point is when you jump (be prepared). Find out what is going on, follow the $$$ - it will usually tell you a whole lot about what is or may be going on. If a man ‘thinks’ he has you in ‘your/his place’ and that you won’t do or say anything to protect or stand up for yourself … he won’t stop with the ‘verbal’ abuse, it can and probably will escalate.

Barbie – I like your choice of colors too. The fence just ‘pops’.

KJ – Do you have any metallic fillings? That can make you have a metallic taste in your mouth. I ended up having all mind replaced with a white substance and don’t have that metallic taste (unless I am about to possibly have a ‘seizure’ … that is one of my ‘aura’ symptoms. That and smelling a ‘musky order’.

Boy, I ‘blew’ it today! Bought a Shake & Steak single cheeseburger and strawberry milkshake. What the Hello-Kitty was I thinking?

Machka in Oz – That sounds scary! I’d probably be calling my MD to find out what was going on. EKG might need to be done. You can exercise like crazy all your life and still have heart issues. Good that you have a check-up every 6 months.

Marcelyn – So sorry you have had to go through the flood in your friend’s house.

I’m so far behind that I am just going to skip over the 6 pages I am behind on. Hope that I will be able to ‘pick up on all the stories’. So if I 'ask' some really 'stupid' questions ... it is because I cannot connect the dots.

Lenora
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Those Tasmanian Devils look friendlier than I imagined! I am thankful tomorrow will come soon. TaTa for now/
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of a bosu DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cathe Pure Strength DVD.

Joyce - I would like Maria just to know how much I was hurt. I just don't think that that family thinks. At the reception I do intend to tell his mother that Christmas Eve is very special to me. That because of logistics, Pete and Denise can come to see her the week before Christmas and the week after Christmas. But to be honest, they aren't going to come see me twice. So I'm inviting her to my house for Christmas Eve. Of course, she and her daughter will stay at my house. Christmas is a time of forgiveness. We are two families, we should show our children that we are willing to work together.

wildhorse - every time I see your avatar, those flowers always make me think that you're in Hawaii. Beautiful

NYKaren - yes, Joyce is very insightful. I'm ever so glad to have her as a friend.

Terry - if ever I find out what I did to Amanda, I would apologize. Honestly, I think she just is a dumb person. Like I said, even the waitress at the restaurant called her dumb, and the waitress only knew her for a few minutes! What an impression she must have made. I feel very sorry for someone who is so clueless. I did message Maria and just told her that I was very insulted about what Amanda did to me. I told her that I hold absolutely nothing against her. I told her that I don't know who Amanda thinks she is or why she did what she did, but it's over and done with and can't be undone. Maybe, just maybe, Maria will talk to Amanda and she'll THINK before she does something. Although I wonder how much of a brain she has.

machka - At first I thought those Tasmanian Devils were so cute.....until I saw the last picture. Thanks for posting it. Jessica did an internship in Australia quite a few years ago and I have a picture of her holding a koala bear.

Remember the gal I told you about whose husband dropped dead. He was younger than me! Well, I found out that today would have been their 35th anniversary. How sad!

Lanette - when you teleport yourself over here, don't forget the wine!!!! Wine and cake...what more can you ask for? I do have chocolates. I always keep some snacks in my pocketbook

DJ - about being insulted, I've gotten to the point of "whats done is done and can't be undone". I do think that messaging Maria and telling her how insulted I felt is helping me. Will anything be done? Probably not. But it made me feel better knowing that she knows. Will Amanda think before she acts from now on? probably not. I don't think it was their intention to insult me. They aren't giving the situation another thought because they didn't know how much it hurt me. Any pictures of the "critters" will have to be taken next year because while I was at the shower, Vince brought them all into the garage because of the threat of Irma (which didn't materialize)

Chinny - you joined by posting! Just keep coming

Beth - I think nice dressy, flowing pants with a real nice top would be very appropriate.

I may need to find something to wear to the rehearsal dinner. Want to check out the restaurant's website to see how dressy it needs to be. Do we have anyone in the southern PA/northern DE area? I don't remember anyone off hand. Oh, yes, but she hasn't been here in a long time.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    M,. and how was your chocolate yogurt? It sounds better to me. I just don’t eat vanilla. I do like the one’s with fruit.

It was very nice. :) I also add coffee, milo, chai tea powder, and maple syrup to my vanilla yogurt. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    Hi Everyone old and new, I read every post like some Soap addict, LOL, but I don't have time to comment on every thing. Just know that I enjoy hearing about your lives, long distance over here in New Zealand. I did my long run yesterday of an hour forty, with my jack russell Jock, and while out in the forest, a very fast rabbit woman passed me (the turtle), and slowed briefly to tell me she was practicing for Adventure Racing, which is a combo of running, mountain biking and kayaking. Sounds so fun! I would need to update my old bike and buy a kayak, and get my van fixed so I could do some road tripping...Dreams are free! I would like an excuse to do some cross-training. I am hopeless at swimming and I am afraid of the ocean and I hate cold water, so I wouldn't want to do a triathalon, but I do like kayaking and a kayak has been on my wish list for a few years now. So I am adding Adventure Racing to my Ten Year Medium Term Goals list. Also on that list is walking the Camino de Santiago, which my daughter did while she was living and teaching in Spain, some years ago. She talks about her adventures often and longs to go back again to do a different "way". I have listened to lots of audio books written by people who have done the pilgrimage. One day... <3 Wendy

I've often looked at doing adventure racing ... but have ended up focusing more on cycling instead. However ... you never know ... one day I might try it. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

Oh, I know the feeling. I get on my bike and 12 to 15 minutes later I'm at the gym and it feels like I went so fast! Then my watch brings me back to the slo-mo reality that is so slow I'm embarrassed to admit ( I'll tell you this, Machka & Pip and any other cyclists, please stop reading I'm exhausted from the ride, my heart regularly gets to over 150 on the ride and my watch usually gives me a whopping 25 to 30 calories burned - that is how slow and bad I am!)

I wouldn't worry about the heart rate. :)

For whatever reason, when I'm riding and I'm feeling relaxed, my HR is about 135 to 155 (approx.)

But the moment I tense up at all, it'll settle in around 145 to 165. I'd really like it to be lower than that ... but it is what it is.

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    <3
    Checking in... I'm following y'all, at least I'm trying to keep up lately!

Machka Get to a doctor and have an ultrasound on your gallbladder. Do not wait. If you have an emergency surgery, it will be a SURGERY not a day surgery using laparoscopic methods!
    I was driving alone from Austin to Amarillo and then on to Denver. I had a coffee to go and I was about 30 minutes outside of Amarillo. I had a awful attack right between my breasts. I thought it was a heart attack or something. I turned around and went back into town and bought some TUMS antacid tablets and drank some water. It passed! Thank God!
    I didn't learn my lesson there. A few weeks later when I was back in Austin, my sister and I had some Starbucks coffee. It happened again! It passed, so this time I made an appointment with my Dr and he sent me to a surgeon after the ultrasound. The surgeon advised me to have surgery ASAP or in a matter of weeks I would be in the emergency room! So I scheduled surgery and 3 days later my gallbladder was out! At first it took my body to adjust. You can't eat anything with fat in it. It will go right thru you! But now, I eat everything I used to with no problem. Good luck Machka!

Hi Lenora, Lynette, Carol, KJ, Michelle, Becca, Terri, Gloria, Lisa, Barbie and all y'all!

Have a good evening!
    <3
    Dana in Arkansas
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Positive Thinking Day!

I sat right down and got to work this morning, so I never got around to my morning check-in. Now I’ve got to catch up with you all.

Sharon – I love the idea of just dumping the eggs into leftover pickle brine! We’re waiting impatiently until it’s time to taste our pickled eggs. A local boy keeps chickens, and we asked him to save all his smallish eggs for us to use for our pickling experiments. As for Larry, only you can decide what’s best for you. But whatever you decide, we’ll be here to encourage you. Nobody deserves to be spoken to that way.

Tere – I feel for you. The job search world is indeed awful, and I think it even worse for people over 50. Hang in there!

At the farmer’s market last weekend I bought some pasta that was made with the flavorings already in it. Tonight’s was spinach, basil and tomato linguine. This stuff is the easiest meal ever – just cook and drain it, toss it with a little olive oil, and sprinkle it with parmesan. I stewed a few little grape tomatoes and threw them in there as well, and it was delicious. Must remember to find that booth again and stock up!

-Yvonne in TX
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I need a baby Devil.