WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Katla wrote "Janetr: If he was a female we'd call it primping but I think guys can primp, too. Dictionary.com: 1.to dress or adorn with care, 2. to groom oneself carefully. "

Not sure if you're teasing or misread our posts, we said pimping. Don't even want to see how the dictionary defines that. Lol

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    :)Becca , Congrats to your son
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Good evening ladies. Wendy - love Major! He is so cute. I love seeing everyone's fur babies. We lost ours a little over a year ago. I still miss him like crazy. Oddly, when I was mowing tonight, I could have sworn I saw him in the back yard. Maybe he was laughing at me because it was taking so long. It normally takes me 2 1/2 hours to mow the whole lot. Today it took 4 because the straggly pasture grass was so long and so thick. I didn't cut the pasture last week, just the "yard" part in front of and behind the house. I guess that's what I get for taking the easy way out last week. I hope everyone is having a good week. I have one day of work left tomorrow and then I'm off for a week! Yeah!!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lisa & Machka: Not counting college housing I've lived in very few homes, three with my parents & three with DH. Everyone is different. :smile:

Machka: I would not think of moving away from there. WOW!!!

That photo is one I took of Hobart on a really good day. :) Moments like that, I think I'd like to stay too.

But ... Tasmania, and especially the Hobart area is like the Pacific Northwest. It's dismal a lot of the time ... overcast, rainy, windy. And it's cold! In the summer, people here panic on the rare occasions when the temp hits 25C / 77F because they think it is 'so hot'.

We keep toying with the idea of moving to Queensland where it's warm and tropical! :grin:

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    2050 meter swim & ‘pool-ates’ class. Walked to gym - didn’t realize it was a miserable 96 degrees and high humidity - prob just as well, I would have stayed home if I’d known how bad it was out there.
  • Machka9
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Moving/Wanderlust ... I am a homebody. We've lived in the same house for 24 years ... 9 years before that in another house. But I'll tell you ... I'm seriously consider moving ... I am really struggling trying to keep up with this place by myself as a result of my husband's health. It's upsetting him watching me. It's upsetting me watching him get upset ... not to mention I'm just running out of steam. I keep thinking that if I could get the big problem projects done, then it would just be maintenance ... which I think I can handle ... but the big projects are not getting done.

My parents (in their 70s) lived in a fairly large 3-bedroom bi-level which was starting to need work. Plus my mother has trouble with her knees and the stairs were becoming a problem. Plus they were living in a cold and snowy part of Alberta so they had to deal with shovelling driveways and sidewalks and stuff. They hung onto the place for a while and debated about what they might be able to do with it, but they were getting tired ...

... and then just a few years ago, they moved to British Columbia, into a gated 55+ community of single level modular homes. Theirs is still a decent size but being all one level, my mother can get around, and the house and yard are quite easy to maintain.

The community is lovely as well, and since it is gated, they can walk or cycle around the roads without busy traffic. In fact, a lot of people walk, or ride motorised scooter/wheelchairs, or ride bicycles and people get to know each other that way. When my father had his heart attack, various neighbours helped my mother bringing her meals etc.

It's nice for me (on the other side of the world) to know that they're in a place like that where there are people looking out for them.

Maybe you've got something like that where you live ... it might make things easier for you. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    ryenday wrote: »
    2050 meter swim & ‘pool-ates’ class. Walked to gym - didn’t realize it was a miserable 96 degrees and high humidity - prob just as well, I would have stayed home if I’d known how bad it was out there.

And over here, I'm longing for those temps ... even just for a few days! :grin:

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Good evening, y’all!

Katla – Yep, “failing Foster 101” means you got attached to your foster dog and ended up adopting it yourself!

Fanncy – What a great idea to have the folding fence so your magnificent shepherd has a yard!

Heather – Making a note to track down that crustless spinach pie recipe. It sounds scrumptious.

Becca – Congratulations to your son! You must be a proud mama!

Machka – You can have as many hot days as you want. We’ve got plenty to spare and we’d love for someone to take them!

Forgot to say they were giving free flu shots at the business expo this weekend, so that is one less thing I have to remember to do. Philip didn’t get one because he was using his arms and hands so much and didn’t think it was a good idea. Now I’ll have to nag him, because he won’t get a flu shot if I don’t.

Ended the day just barely under my calorie limit today. We hadn’t planned to go out, but the local taproom does beer and food pairings on Wednesdays. Philip isn’t usually home in time for us to go, but tonight he was home early and they were doing Danish food so we went. Green salad, meatballs, fingerling potatoes, and red cabbage stewed with lingonberries, paired with an amber ale. It was such a rare treat for us, I can’t regret the calories.

Sleep tight when you do!

-Yvonne in TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,582 Member
    edited September 2017
    Becca - sorry you and DH weren't home to get the call... but what great news! He is on his way - he's officially in the Navy!! Congrats all around B)

Wendy and Janetr - Hiring a husband.... pimping.... hhmmm.... I used to be the envy of all my farmer girlfriends - my DH could repair a barn, put up fence, build wooden stairs, make gates, you name it. Very handy skills to have. Sounds to me like we have DH's we could "rent out" for all kinds of things, lol.

Yvonne
    - I spoke with the vet today, she said Pepcid AC is OK for vomiting dogs. Since Sophie weighs 17 lbs, she'd get 5 mg Pepcid AC once a day. She said it was OK to give them a little baking soda once in a while if they have sour stomachs, but it sounded like the Pepcid was better if she had constant upset tummy.

Allie
    - can't wait to see pictures once you get moved in! You mentioned road noise.... we live not far (about 1/4 mile) from Hwy 12 which is one of the three main roads over the Cascade Mountains in WA State. Some days we stand in the yard and cannot hold a conversation.... we didn't realize that when we bought this place, either. But our house is very soundproof and after a while, a person does get used to the noise. Luckily, we don't have many barking dogs in the neighborhood so we count our blessings.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Did an hour of deep water today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Tracy Long DVD.

After exercise, went to the Salvation Army. You never know what you'll find! Afterwards, came home and made 7 layer bars for the guy whose wife passed away and some for the gal whose husband suddenly passed away. Now I'm done with them (thank goodness). See, that guys wife was really into desserts. I'm not into them so much.

Went to ceramics tonight. My chamelion is coming along

Loved all the pictures

Made a sweet potato for me, butter flavored noodles for Vince (not real crazy about them, I almost never eat them), steel cut oats for me for tomorrow. I volunteer at the Green Room tomorrow then I'm going to the local college's salon to get my hair in an updo and my makeup done so I can take a pic of me in my dress so she'll have a better idea of how I'll look. She just can't envision something. Made some spaghetti squash

Heather - how do you make your frosting? What ingredients do you use? Love those sunglasses

Rye - cats DO bring down bp, it's a proven fact.

Meg - the wedding drama would certainly be reduced if SOMEONE would just butt out. Good luck tomorrow

Yvonne - Denise gave me a magnet for my car that says "one cat away from being the crazy cat lady"

Carol - hope Pom is OK

katla - Jess is a foster failure. You're right, it's someone who fosters a dog/cat and then adopts it. We just skipped the fostering part....lol

Heather - just the other day I was thinking that I haven't had the spinach feta pie in a while, I really need to make it.

Mary AZ looks fantastic. I know your dh will find something quickly

Congrats Becca

Allie - I'm really looking forward to you telling us Tom's reaction to you actually moving. I have a feeling that deep down inside he still doesn't think you'll go thru with it.

I, too, love the 4 seasons. Only twice in the 10 years we've been here have we had to shovel snow, most people didn't even bother to shovel

Michele in NC
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited September 2017
    Hi y'all!

Becca Congratulations to your son!! I know you are so very proud of him!

All the pictures of the dogs make me so happy!! I belong to a Treeing Walker Coonhound Facebook page and love to see the other hounds as well on Instagram. I have a page in Instagram, "the_dalimama" where I have a lot of Dolly's photos. I don't know what I would do without her!

I got my flu shot too. I was at a church luncheon and the church had Walgreens there with a team set up to give shots. DH didn't get one. He says he never gets the flu.

I read all the posts, but lately I have been really busy! I do miss chatting with you all!

Nite!
    <3
    Dana in Arkansas
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Machka9 wrote: »
    No pets ... just the city where I live & work ...

22330093778_75d90ef8e7_b.jpg

BTW - Just thought I'd mention ... I have cycled up to the top of that mountain twice! Once in Feb 2016 and once in Feb 2017. It was one of the things I wanted to do once I lost the weight, so toward the end of losing the weight in 2015, I starting ramping up my cycling and started tackling hills and things in preparation for the ride ... and got up there! :grin:

My husband has done it 5 times, I think. Twice with me, of course, but also 2 or 3 other times when he lived here before.

I am hoping that we'll try it again ... maybe in November if we can get in some hill climbing training and if the weather is all right, or maybe in Feb or March next year. It's not something you can really plan in advance for in terms of picking a date and working toward that date. The climb is so weather dependent that if you wake up one Saturday morning and the weather looks good and you feel all right ... you go. So preparation is just lots of cycling, including hill climbing, over many weeks while waiting for a good day to occur on a weekend.

For reference, from sea level (where we start) to the top is 1271 metres (4170 ft) in elevation gain.
    The route we cycled in 2016 was about 40 km round trip.
    The route we chose in 2017 was about 75 km round trip.
    The routes start in different locations, but both arrive at a point part way up, and then the steepest bit is the same.

M in the southern-most state of Oz

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Becca, congrats to both you and your husband and brothers for the youngest passing his test! It oK to be emotional. We all have done it many times and will be doing it many more times. Just shows you are a good Mom. Go to bed tonight with a smile on your face.

Alli, just ramble away. We have some dear friends here that are going through some emotional times. I'm with the others and am sitting here waiting for all the picture of your new place.

Mascha, can't believe you cycled up that hill! You are a testament of determination.

Saw my sis at the hospital. She will be having a stres test. While I was there, the nurse practitioner for the cardiologist office came in. It was the first time for that doctor to see her. After examine Norma and listening to a normal responses, it helped me understand a lot about why they were so concerned about a lot of things. She did say that her husband is purchasing one of the monitors. She said she doesn't have to touch it for it to go off, just her falling will set it off. She said they talked about it in February when she fell but they just never did anything about it. That is one ing a fall does, reminds you that you need a monitor. She still doesn't see the importance f being alarmed b what happened and has happened before.

Have to be at surgeons office tomorrow for Michelle's consult. Worried that he will just say lets yank that gall bladder out and when he does he finds it s normal. They have never done a definitive work up to see what caused all the pain, whether it was the chest or abdominal, she still feels lousy but is working. She also said she is having constipation and diarrhea. Irritable bowel???

I don't know whether I should talk about the winner of Amaerica's got talent or not, I know several people here watch it and I don't know if they have seen the finale. I was pleased with the winner. The one thing I have seen throughout this whole paring it down to the contestants this week and then again tonight is the friendships of the kids, teenagers and younger. Angelica especially. She is just this little ray of sunshine loving on people if they didn't get through or if they did get through. Even the big men, she would make sure they got hugs. I loved the act of Darci Lynn and Terry Fador, so good!

Choir practice was good. The one thing I don't like about our Christmas cantata is that all the songs have a lot of repot ion to them. And I mean a lot. It's just a waste of music. But I have been out several tmes by myself and have had a lot of times to put the rehearsal CD in and a lot of practice. And it showed.

Joyce, Indiana
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Good morning still very hot here but we have a nice breeze today to temper it. Drinking too much beer but heyho we're on holiday. Afraid DH and I are the stay outs in our little complex, last night we were coming back from town about 2am and they close the front entrance and rather than walk around the block to back gate we climbed over the wall (apoarently lots of people do) it is only a little wall. Off for a walk now

Kate UK <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,996 Member
    Well I have been up for an hour or so having my cup of tea.and have my first load packed in the car..I should really write a list of what I need to do today....which I am doing now...will get the munchkin on the bus and then go to breakfast .then do the errands and go to condo.