WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    I may have more of an appetite, but I find that I can't eat a whole lot at any one time. Thank goodness I have some grapes! And cheese cubes! But I feel so much better, just tired.

WTG Allie! Wouldn't surprise me one bit if after you move, you really start losing weight. You can keep better track of the food you eat, not have to make things Tom likes, and stress will put on weight and you won't have any more stress (well, not nearly as much). And stop cooking for Tom! What are you going to do (or I should say what is Tom going to expect you to do?). You come there, make his dinner, then go to your condo?

Penny - has this happened to you before with windows?

Sue in TX - I do think that I was bitten by something. We had these red ants by our driveway. As I was weedwacking last time, I picked up the extension cord to put it in the back of me and it rubbed a bit against my neck. There were these ants on it. Where it rubbed against my neck, was it ever itchy! I think this will go away too

Beth - so sorry for your husband. Back pain is no joke

Julie - welcome!

Tere - to me, what is frustrating is that I know that you never know what tomorrow will bring, yet how do you tell your kids that they should get a good education because you never know what will happen (death, divorce) and you'll have to be on your own?

Sharon - get better fast!

I'm thinking that I'll do some yoga tomorrow. Yoga isn't real real strenuous but it's good workout.

drkatiebug - I just deleted the trolls messages to me. I honestly don't have time for this.

barbie - bet those mats look great. I'm sure your shoulder will get better fast.

DJ - I recently found out that I could just talk into the phone! I always had such a hard time using the keyboard, too. So glad you can use your glasses, but sorry that you need to get new ones. I know how it is, I like the glasses I have right now. Don't know what I'll do when I need to get the prescription changed.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone, just introducing myself as this looks like a great discussion board to be part of - very supportive. I'm Julie from Adelaide in Australia, although currently working away in Darwin (Northern Territory). Just come back to MFP to be more accountable with my food intake...its a life long battle. I'm pretty active but once you hit 50 as I heard before "you cant outrun a bad diet" and I so want to be an active grandmother.

Cheers Julie

Welcome here! Good to see another Australian!

I'm a Canadian-Australian living in Tasmania where it is cold and rainy, but you must be enjoying some hot weather up in Darwin. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Allie Are you kidding? You are making Tom Cat dinner? Are you buying the groceries too? Please tell me no!
    Did you forget why you are here at all? 5 or 6 months ago, you were suspecting Tom of messing around and you found out he was. Then you got your head straight and decided to hire a lawyer and so on. You have your own place! Don't hang around! Tom is a big boy and can drive thru McDonalds!

I agree! No way on earth I'd be cooking dinner or doing the grocery shopping for anyone but me.

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, there are several of us that have our smart phones so we can have our kids on our plans. I don't need what I have at all but Michellle wouldn't have one if I didn't have her on my plan. I d like he games, internet, paper and local tv stations, golf network and a lot f other apps I have.mi don't use the phone a lot but I do use it. If we are traveling I call my sis on the way home. Keeps me close to my Mom.mi called her on the way home befor she died so now I call my sis.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((SUE))) I am so sorry you had to have your dear horse put down. Having to make such difficult decisions for our fur babies is heart wrenching and a testament to the love we have for them. :heart: :broken_heart:

Allie: I am hoping for a happy new life for you. :bigsmile: I agree with others. Why are you cooking or shopping for Tomcat? :huh:

Lanette: The homeowners sprinkler system is still out of commission. It may need to be replaced and that will be costly. We installed out own drip watering system for our hanging plants and flowerbeds years ago so we aren't depending on the HA. Painting will not go forward until next spring due to unstable weather this time of year. There is a lot of work to do here, and we're at an awkward point in the season to get it done. :grumble:

Julie from Adelaide Australia: Welcome to a great group! :flowerforyou:

Tere in RVA: I hope you're able to build a satisfying business and happy life. :flowerforyou:

Terry in VT: I'm glad to hear that your family in Puerto Rico are okay. :smiley:

I hope I'm ready to sleep. I was making a good try of it when the dog needed to go out. :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday -- 30 min on the rowing machine and 40 min on the treadmill (ran 25 min | walked 15 min).

Monitored things closely and felt pretty much all right.

Studying for test tomorrow ... frustrating since the program I want to work with to practise has suddenly decided to stop working. Tried to fire it up on my little computer and no-go there either for different reasons. On to Plan C now which involves just reading and trying to understand without any hands on practise. GRRRR.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning sweetie pies..
    Have Faith all set with her insulin and her breakfast...
    I am enjoying the porch and the paper and some ice water..forgot to bring my tea.
    So sorry to hear about the horse .the love we have for our animal's is a treasure..
    Tom going to Sam's to buy himself some stuff..and the reason I can't move in yet is the carpets are getting cleaned tuesday.have to let them dry and I have Thurs off so I will try and bring the stuff I can handle then..cable guy will be there between 10-2 so have to be there then...I have taken Oct 2nd off to get some of the place organized...I am hoping today to at least get my bed taken apart...and yes I will grocery shop for me..any ideas for a simple daily menu that will help me lose the weight.i have to admit I have been eating quite a bit of junk.
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ..any ideas for a simple daily menu that will help me lose the weight.i have to admit I have been eating quite a bit of junk.

This is what I eat. :)
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I just answered a question elsewhere with this, so I thought I might put it here as well ...

My week day ...

No breakfast
    10:30 am snack - cheese & crackers
    12:30 pm snack - banana
    2:00 pm lunch - chicken, rice, steamed veggies or occasionally LaZuppa soup, noodles, and steamed veg
    3:30 pm snack - yogurt
    4:45 pm snack - apple, mandarin or some other fruit
    6 pm snack - cottage cheese, raw veggies, whole wheat crackers
    7:30 pm dinner - steamed veggies & ... whatever else my husband makes
    9:30 pm snack - yogurt
    11 pm snack - toast with nutella & honey ... sometimes without the nutella ... sometimes with cheese instead of either the nutella or honey
    12:30 am snack - McVities digestive biscuit with chocolate coating or a few cheese crackers if I still have the calories for them.

Whether I eat large meals or not, I get ravenously hungry about 1.5 hours later. I can pack away a massive dinner, and be prowling around the kitchen 1.5 hours later. Therefore, I feel so much more comfortable if I just keep the food coming on a regular basis ... but keep everything on the small side.

My larger "meals" are the 2 pm lunch and the 7:30 pm dinner but it is rare that either one will go over 500 cal. The rest of my snacks are usually somewhere around the 100 cal point.

That's the "diet" I used to drop 25 kg, and is something I've more or less stuck with. Anytime I need to lose a little bit of weight again (like I will want to starting September 5), I will tighten that up and start weighing things again to ensure I stay just under my calorie limit.

Machka in Oz

In there, you'll see that dinners are "steamed veggies & ... whatever else my husband makes".

That's usually steamed veggies and a small frozen dinner with less calories than a Weight Watchers meal. Our grocery store had a reasonable collection of them ... we get 3 or 4 different kinds: cottage pie, lasagne, other pastas, etc.

Or perhaps a LaZuppa or other soup for 2 which he thickens with brown rice, shredded chicken, and steamed veggies. Or there are these great Indian meal packages which is prepared much like the soup, with rice, chicken and steamed veggies added. Both make a nice big bowl of dinner that's really tasty.

Last night dinner was baked potatoes with light cheese and shredded teriyaki chicken.

Sometimes he'll do tacos. I've figured out which shells are the lowest calorie shells, then he does chicken mince, light cheese, and raw veggies.

If I dig out the slow cooker, I can make 2 or 3 meals with chicken mince and veg and a packet of spice and stuff ... there are packets you can get to add to slow cooker meals, or just add your own spice. And I usually have a can of light coconut milk and a can of chickpeas which I can toss in.

Once a week or so, we'll go out to Zambreros for a burrito (I do need to put in a little bit extra exercise for that!) or to Subway, and I get a 6" tuna sub with most of the veggies.

We're busy people so we generally go with whatever is easiest ... and then pad it out with lots of veggies. Have a good browse around your local grocery store and see what's there. :)

I'll also add that I would eat more eggs in there ... would love to do a couple boiled eggs on toast for dinner some nights ... but sadly, eggs and my gallbladder just simply do not get along. I might be able to manage the 2 boiled eggs on toast one night ... but it would be a couple months before I could do it again. :( But if you can tolerate eggs, they're great! Low cal, filling, easy ... :)

Oh, and this evening, I just had my yogurt with blueberries! :) They were on special when we went grocery shopping this evening, so I added 50 grams of them to my usual yogurt. Yummy! :)

And, one more thing, since tightening up the logging, and following this a little more closely ... since September 5 ... I've dropped 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs). :)

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3 hello <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :)Allie, create a breakfast that is easy and includes protein. Have lots of vegetables. I keep frozen cauliflower and broccoli so veggies are always available and tomatoes when the season is right. If you eat meat, then grilled chicken without sauces with steamed veggies makes a good supper or lunch (or both). Cheese in moderation. Less bread, rice, pasta, or if you have it make sure it is whole grain. Don't keep anything in your house that you can't eat in moderation. Plan and log your meals ahead of time and don't eat anything except what you've planned for the day. Eggs are good at any meal. Reward yourself with anything but food. And make use of the gym that's available to you. Find ways to watch or listen to something interesting while you work out and the time will be doubly valuable.

<3 Barbie
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to All! :)

Terry in Vermont ~ Glad to hear that your MnL and SnL are safe.

Kelly ~ Prayers for continuing improvement for your MnL.

Penny ~ How scary....broken window and rails plus a hiker stranded on a cliff. Ugh!

Machka ~ I love soup and could eat it every day! Your grazing sounds interesting. I have to have one large meal every evening. That's just me! Very little for breakfast and lunch and no snacking during the day. But, sometimes I hit the snacks after dinner and that's a downfall.

People are coming to take up the original linoleum on Tuesday that has asbestos. Evidently, the restoration company that came for our leaking refrigerator says it is a State law that they have to test for it and they did. The insurance adjuster seems to have OK'd that we will get replacement carpet for the whole house and new flooring for the kitchen. I will probably choose to do an upgrade on the flooring and will pay the extra amount for it. When they come on Tuesday, we have to leave for the day. Don't know what will do yet as we have to take the dog with us.

All of this worry with the flooring has led to a lot of stress eating over the past week. When I get anxious, I either crave food or alcohol! So I will have to get this under control soon.

Carol in GA

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    Terry - great news about MIL and SIL in Puerto Rico. What a relief they have a means of communicating and are at least seem to be coping with the basic necessities.

Pip - 24 hr fitness sounds like a much better fit for you and Kirby.

Chris
    - that was a neat report about your first date with that gentleman. Nice to have some good news on that front <3

Kelly
    - that training sounded very interesting. Good that MIL is stable, hope your DH is doing well over all this. My sympathies on his tooth problem!

Tere
    - I love the way your mind works!

NY Karen, Machka - thank you for sharing your meal plans. So many good suggestions here on eating healthier!

Thanks to everyone on the smartphone information. My old Tracfone doesn't work too well...even tho I rarely use it, I do keep it for emergencies. So I was considering moving up to a smartphone version which would include some internet - also for emergencies since we tend to get power outages here which would mean the laptop and Amazon Fire would be useless at the house. Ten years ago we had a big windstorm that put a lot of trees on the roads and areas were cut off from town and without power for days.

Funny to think that what... 25 years ago we survived just fine without any cellphones, laptops, wi-fi. Just a radio if the power went out.

Feb 2001, our region had a 6.8 earthquake - the Nisqually quake. I was working at the 911 Center at that time. The cellphone towers got out of whack in the region ... our center was receiving calls meant for Seattle instead of our local area 100 miles south of Seattle! Landline phones were just fine. So there's a chance that if = when another big quake hits, the cellphones and smartphones might not work for a while, though perhaps they've built in backups in the infrastructure, but that's another reason we keep the landline-plus it's bundled in with our high speed internet which comes through the phone line.

That's the early morning edition. Have a good Sunday!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Aww thanks for all the tips ..sounds wonderful and I would be a fool not to use the gym it is literally about 150 feet down the hallway lol.will add the eggs and veggies and rottiserrie chicken all sound wonderful.