What 'healthy' foods did you ultimately give up on?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Kale. I just can't, tried it in omelets and smoothies and nope.

Just curious, do you like other dark leafy greens?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower. It does NOT taste like potatoes, rice or pizza crust no matter what you add to it. It tastes like the smell of stinky feet and there's just no hiding that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower, but then I never try to pretend it's something else.

(I like cauliflower far more than rice, actually, so wouldn't see why I'd want to pretend it's rice. I do get why people find the texture of rice or riced cauliflower helpful in dishes sometimes, but presumably this works best if you aren't trying to pretend it is rice and tastes just the same.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Cauliflower. It does NOT taste like potatoes, rice or pizza crust no matter what you add to it. It tastes like the smell of stinky feet and there's just no hiding that.

What an odd description for such a mildly flavored vegetable.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

I can manage it when cooked because I like most leafy greens but raw kale always bugged me. The only time I ever ate raw kale and enjoyed it was in a caesar dressing that was ultra loaded with garlic and anchovies.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Kale doesn’t do well in omlettes. It doesn’t wither from heat like spinach does. It’s chewy in nature. I loooove it in smoothies though.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

I can manage it when cooked because I like most leafy greens but raw kale always bugged me. The only time I ever ate raw kale and enjoyed it was in a caesar dressing that was ultra loaded with garlic and anchovies.

Yes! I hate raw kale. It's so bitter and just blehhhh. The only time I've ever had it taste good was when it was covered in things that made it high calorie and at that point, the calories far outweighed the nutritional value.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »

Shocking!!! It also doesnt taste like chicken in a buffalo cauliflower nuggets lol :)

Lol--it also tastes absolutely nothing like steak--even if you slice it and cook it on the grill!

Or turkey, even if you baste it and roast the whole head in the oven.

It absolutely kills my father that there's a vegetable I don't like and absolutely won't eat even the tiniest "just to be polite" bite of. He's been trying to force it down my gullet with a variety of faux-food cauliflower preparations since the very first South Beach Diet book was published when I was in high school. That's about a 25-year war at this point. At this point, I just leave him to his attempts at trickery and make my own specialty--reservations! :D

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Kale doesn’t do well in omlettes. It doesn’t wither from heat like spinach does. It’s chewy in nature. I loooove it in smoothies though.

I like it in omelets, but you have to cook it a bit longer. Chard or spinach is easier.

It's best in stews and soups, though, IMO.

I also like it in smoothies, but I'm not a huge smoothie person.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

That's interesting. I find cauliflower to have quite a strong flavour myself. I really have trouble eating it. Then again, I find at lot of things strongly flavoured. My daughter does too. My son makes up for us both by eating anything thrown at him. :) He could eat things from a young age that I can't stand...like olives [shudder].

Anyway, the "healthy" food I have given up on is yoghurt. I feel like I am the only person not eating yoghurt. Half my supermarket is yoghurt...ok, I exaggerate a little.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That's interesting. I find cauliflower to have quite a strong flavour myself. I really have trouble eating it. Then again, I find at lot of things strongly flavoured. My daughter does too. My son makes up for us both by eating anything thrown at him. :) He could eat things from a young age that I can't stand...like olives [shudder].

Anyway, the "healthy" food I have given up on is yoghurt. I feel like I am the only person not eating yoghurt. Half my supermarket is yoghurt...ok, I exaggerate a little.

I rarely eat yogurt either. I get a lot of coupons for free yogurt for some reason, but half the time I end up giving to my chickens. They love it.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

I like yogurt only when it's loaded with so much stuff that it might as well be ice cream.
  • ellybella
    ellybella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vega protein powder is gross
    Chia seeds - tried once never again
    Quest bars- I prefer larabars
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Agreed about Vega.
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Celery and Spinach. I hate the texture of celery for some reason.
    I'll only eat yogurt if it's the frozen variety.
    Chia seeds, just give me regular pudding or jam!
    Smoothies. I'm not into them and would much rather eat fruit alongside my meals.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Kale. Bitter and disgusting fibrous crap.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

You obviously haven't been massaging your kale before eating. Shame shame.

I'm not even kidding. Google it. I've never tried it but it's supposed to make the kale sweeter and softer. That said, I wonder why people would go through the hassle of doing this, why not buy baby spinach instead?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I'm not even kidding. Google it. I've never tried it but it's supposed to make the kale sweeter and softer. That said, I wonder why people would go through the hassle of doing this, why not buy baby spinach instead?

That's why I don't eat it raw unless someone else makes it for me (I enjoy a restaurant made kale salad).

A friend does a good kale salad where she soaks it in lemon juice and then uses her tongs to massage while tossing. Tasted good, so maybe I will try it! ;-) I normally do a kale-based salad with kale that is boiled for a couple of minutes, instead (there's a good one with sweet potatoes, beets, cranberries, and walnuts I do for get-togethers that really does seem to be popular).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's why I don't eat it raw unless someone else makes it for me (I enjoy a restaurant made kale salad).

A friend does a good kale salad where she soaks it in lemon juice and then uses her tongs to massage while tossing. Tasted good, so maybe I will try it! ;-) I normally do a kale-based salad with kale that is boiled for a couple of minutes, instead (there's a good one with sweet potatoes, beets, cranberries, and walnuts I do for get-togethers that really does seem to be popular).

I have had really good results from massaging kale with kosher salt, lemon juice, and a bit of olive oil for 2-3 minutes and then letting it sit for 30-40 minutes, but it isn't going to turn a kale-hater into a kale-lover. It just breaks down the fibers and makes it softer.
  • Hecka_Rebecca
    Hecka_Rebecca Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks to that damn Goop Blog, I drank a shake that had way too much ginger in it and now I can't stand the stuff. This was over 2 years ago and I am still bitter. *kitten* you Gwenyth Paltrow. I used to love ginger.