What 'healthy' foods did you ultimately give up on?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Weird how many people hate chia seeds. I like them. They're fun like mini tapioca balls. Now I don't eat them often because they are too high in calories to be worth it often (I like other things more), but I do have some fun with them from time to time.

I like them in pudding, but I suppose if you thought they were miracle health seeds that should be forced into your diet they could seem disappointing. (I think the health benefits are overrated, as with a huge portion of these things that people seem to have been told are for health, like replacing potatoes with sweet potatoes.)

I realize I never decided there were healthy foods I had to eat that weren't already in my diet. I tried a few of them (hemp hearts, flaxseed) and decided they were fine but rarely worth the calories as they didn't add much taste, but I never thought they were important enough to work on including more. So many different foods are healthy that forcing it -- unless you are someone who struggles to get enough protein or to eat vegetables or something -- seems pointless to me.

It's funny, for me, either flax or chia seeds, in spite of being "fad" health foods, serve a good purpose in my diet of adding healthy fats.

I could use nuts for this purpose, but have trouble moderating them. It's easy to keep the seeds in the fridge and I don't have the same problem with moderation. I can do the same thing with them I was doing with the nuts (sprinkle them on yogurt), and get the added fat I need.

So yeah, it's a healthy bandwagon I jumped on, but they're foods that fill a niche for me and they fill it well. That I like them is just a plus.

I tried hemp hearts and liked them but decided they weren't worth the calories.

Same. They're good in oatmeal, but too calorific to make it worth it to me.

That's what I decided too.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Chia anything for me. Waste of time and calories.

Chia seeds are effing gross.

^^^AGREED
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Aloe water or juice or whatever they call that goo with floaty chunks of smeg in it. And that fermented juice that I can't pronounce or spell
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Shiritaki noodles. I tried them once and I will never try them again.

Olive oil. I've never liked oily food and I dislike when veggies or meat is coated in oil. The texture is so weird on my tongue and I hate the feeling of the oil on my lips.

I hate it when food is wrecked with oil. I'm wondering how we can order things at a restaurant with no guck on it. I like steamed veggies with vinegar (nom nom) and grilled chicken but not all slathered in oil.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Shiritaki noodles. I tried them once and I will never try them again.

Olive oil. I've never liked oily food and I dislike when veggies or meat is coated in oil. The texture is so weird on my tongue and I hate the feeling of the oil on my lips.

I hate it when food is wrecked with oil. I'm wondering how we can order things at a restaurant with no guck on it. I like steamed veggies with vinegar (nom nom) and grilled chicken but not all slathered in oil.

You can ask for something to be prepared without oil or steamed, especially if it's a side vegetable.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I made cauliflower rice last night to go with stir-fry I made. Yuck. The extra calories in real basmati rice are worth it!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Brown rice. I tried to give it a honest chance, but I just can't stand the taste and mouth feel of it.

Ditto with any type of yoghurt or oatmeal. The mouth feel is awful, and I feel like I'm having to choke it down.
  • another_chelle
    another_chelle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Anything to do with nuts. I know it's healthy fat, but so not interested in eating peanut or almond anything! Not a fan of kale either; I've used it in smoothies a couple times but can't imagine eating it in a salad.

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Protein Shakes.
    I'm a vegetarian. They're gross. They are all gross.
    lol.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I hate the term healthy foods. By implying that food is healthy or unhealthy you're limiting your choices plus the word healthy food is very subjective. One of the issues with labeling something healthy is who labels it. I don't know how old you are but I'm 57 years old and I've seen so many foods labeled unhealthy years ago that are now labeled healthy.

You have people who believe healthy food is all homegrown vegetables if you buy anything in the store it's not healthy. Bringing up the word healthy food is like discussing politics and religion you ask ten people you'll get 11 different

As far as me I didn't give up anything. It's a matter of moderation. Educate yourself about the food you like and as long as you enjoy it and you feel comfortable about it enjoy.

I do believe that is why healthy is in "" in the title. The OP meant what people percieve to be "healthy"
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Halo top. I've tried a few flavors and they taste terrible and make me feel like crap. I'd rather have a yasso coffee ice cream bar
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I hate the term healthy foods. By implying that food is healthy or unhealthy you're limiting your choices plus the word healthy food is very subjective. One of the issues with labeling something healthy is who labels it. I don't know how old you are but I'm 57 years old and I've seen so many foods labeled unhealthy years ago that are now labeled healthy.

You have people who believe healthy food is all homegrown vegetables if you buy anything in the store it's not healthy. Bringing up the word healthy food is like discussing politics and religion you ask ten people you'll get 11 different

As far as me I didn't give up anything. It's a matter of moderation. Educate yourself about the food you like and as long as you enjoy it and you feel comfortable about it enjoy.

Meh. I agree with you, but come on, what's wrong with calling candy or chocolate cake unhealthy? That's what bothers me about people saying that there are no 'unhealthy' foods, because that's just pushing it too far. It doesn't mean that you can't have a healthy diet with some unhealthy foods in it, but you still got to be honest there.

<3
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Meh. I agree with you, but come on, what's wrong with calling candy or chocolate cake unhealthy? That's what bothers me about people saying that there are no 'unhealthy' foods, because that's just pushing it too far. It doesn't mean that you can't have a healthy diet with some unhealthy foods in it, but you still got to be honest there.

<3<3<3<3<3
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Nuts and Avocados. I love both, but honestly, I'm a quantity eater and they just have too many calories. I can't just eat a little bit.
  • Savannahmiamaddie
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter. I love them but found out the hard way, they are all "trigger foods" for me. Once I start eating them it's all over...I can't stop.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I can eat all sorts of Greek yogurt (took me a while, but I really like the protein profile). Still can't eat Chobani, though. My daughter had some for breakfast once when she was sick, and threw up after. When I cleaned it up, all I could smell was barfed Chobani. For some reason the Chobani smell is just something I can't get past.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My username says it all :)

Also not a fan. I go through salad cravings, though, when certain types of salad are all I want to eat. Then it passes and I will go months without another salad.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    My username says it all :)

Also not a fan. I go through salad cravings, though, when certain types of salad are all I want to eat. Then it passes and I will go months without another salad.

I only enjoy salads if they have real caesar salad dressing on them (including the anchovies, thank you very much). Other than that, I like salads more in principle than in practice.