What 'healthy' foods did you ultimately give up on?

Options

Replies

• CaptainAmericaGirlYASSS
    Options
    Cucumbers, yuck! I love pickles tho, so it's weird.
    Sweet potatoes aren't my thang either.
    Salmon, omg I do not like salmon!
  • joannastanmfp
    joannastanmfp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Brown rice...I can never get it to the sticky consistency of Jasmine rice, which I love.
  • lauraslinn947
    lauraslinn947 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds (make me constipated no matter how much water I soak them in/drink).

Bananas (just not worth the calories/sugar).
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    Cucumbers (apparently some people can taste an enzyme in them)
    Porridge/oatmeal
    Kale
    Cottage cheese
    Peanut butter
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    kale!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Wow. I can believe all the hate for sweet potatoes. I eat them at least 3-4 times per week. Love them cold with salt and cinnamon.

Sweet potatos with adobo sauce ( from canned chipotle peppers) mmmmmmm my favorite! Actually I like sweet potatoes any which way except with butter and sugar. When prepared the traditional "sweet" way I grew up with I find them disgusting.

As for superfood status- doesn't sway me one bit. I know it is hype so I ignore it. I hate kale ( superfood) b/c it tastes awful to me. I love my spinach and love my oatmeal because they taste good to me. I'll try anything- superfood status is irrelevant.
  • idonteatsalad
    idonteatsalad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My username says it all :)
  • kbtyson
    kbtyson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like most of the things people don't like. Kale is a tricky one though, because you need to get it fresh or it can go skunky. The things I don't like are celery (never have, never will) and raw spinach (oddly enough I do like baby spinach).
  • nads_ayoub
    nads_ayoub Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading the comments - at 43, I just can't get myself to eat anything that doesn't taste good to me and yes, Flaxseed tastes absolutely disgusting and the oil is even worse!!

On another note, I have come to enjoy kale as a salad with walnuts, raisin and Parmesan done by our local supermarket. Another cafe close to home does a fabulous quinoa salad and I love that. I've always hated processed food and have always stayed away from anything that came out of a jar or a freezer hence I cook and I love finding restaurants that use 'healthy' ingredients and recipes. Often their portions are really big so I'll get a salad and split it over two days - some of the cafes/restaurants definitely know how to make some of the stuff taste way better than I do!
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised people hate kale so much. I love it.

Quinoa. I hate quinoa
  • Patsycervantes
    Patsycervantes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never forced myself to eat things I don't like. That said, I like most things...always have. Dieting didn't really introduce me to anything I wasn't already eating.

Pretty much what I was going to say
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Most herb tea. It tastes like lawn grass. (To my sorrow, I've developed a caffeine allergy, so I'm working through the herb teas)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Do you have any foods that you started eating when you started your weight loss efforts because you thought that they were 'healthy' or helpful but then ultimately abandoned once you realized that you didn't really have to eat any specific kinds of food to lose weight?

For me:

Carrot sticks (I struggled with raw carrots and the carrots won)

Brown rice (especially when I learned that it's not all that much healthier than white)

Sweet potatoes (just give me a good old russet or yukon gold instead)

Packaged breakfast bars (I realized that I'd rather take 10 minutes and make an egg sandwich for not that many additional calories)

Ironically, there's not much difference nutritionally speaking between a sweet potato and regular potato either...not sure why the sweet potato is such a darling. I like them from time to time, but much prefer a regular baked potato most of the time. The nutritional difference is negligible at best...

I just like the taste way better. I love sweet potatos. Regular potatos however, I could never stand.

I'll eat regular or sweet potatoes, and like both. When it comes to eating a baked potato, though, I'd really rather have the sweet potato. I can add a TINY bit of butter and brown sugar (like less than tsp of each) and love the flavor. For me to eat a normal baked potato and enjoy it, I need sour cream, chives, and/or cheese and usually feel a need to reapply the toppings to finish up the entire potato...which kind of defeats the purpose.

And bacon!
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    Most herb tea. It tastes like lawn grass. (To my sorrow, I've developed a caffeine allergy, so I'm working through the herb teas)

Look up teachinno it comes in different flavors and is suppose to taste like coffee. I love it! I have to admit it isn't coffee and nothing ever will be, but it's delicious a and much more dark and full bodied than most tea.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »

Look up teachinno it comes in different flavors and is suppose to taste like coffee. I love it! I have to admit it isn't coffee and nothing ever will be, but it's delicious a and much more dark and full bodied than most tea.

Thanks, I may give that a try!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Raw carrots - I was eating a couple large ones a day and my mother noticed my fingers were turning orange.

Salad - I like my vegetables cooked I'm afraid.

Fat free Greek Yoghurt. I prefer the full fat stuff when it comes to Greek.