What 'healthy' foods did you ultimately give up on?

Options

Replies

• athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I guess I already had a list of foods I didn't like before I started to watch my calories. So for the most part I love just about everything I eat. I'm not wasting precious calories on stuff I don't like. The few things I won't eat that others seem to enjoy are Brussels sprouts and okra. Vile to me. Hated them as a kid, tried them as an adult, still hated them.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Grapefruit. Cottage cheese. Celery. Kale. Especially kale.

Kale sucks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never forced myself to eat things I don't like. That said, I like most things...always have. Dieting didn't really introduce me to anything I wasn't already eating.

This. Although most of the things I randomly dislike are things I don't think are especially healthy anyway. The few things that are nutrient dense that I don't care for, eh, there's always something else similar enough nutrient-wise.

Reading the things people tried because they were healthy makes me realize that whatever my other issues I ate a pretty varied diet filled with nutrient dense foods even before I lost weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    sosteach wrote: »
    yogurt, celery, kale, sweet potatoes, turkey bacon

I like all of the other things (even kale) but turkey bacon...yes...I agree wholeheartedly. I would honestly rather eat veggie bacon before turkey bacon. I don't like ground turkey either. I just hate turkey completely.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I like sweet potatoes and have always eaten them (no more than various kinds of potatoes, though), but I agree that it's super weird that people demonize potatoes and glorify sweet potatoes so often these days when they are about equally healthful (one is better for some things, the other is better for others).

I like kale prepared correctly, beets almost any way (LOVE beets), and liver, among other things mentioned.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Shiritaki noodles. I tried them once and I will never try them again.

Olive oil. I've never liked oily food and I dislike when veggies or meat is coated in oil. The texture is so weird on my tongue and I hate the feeling of the oil on my lips.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Light mayo and Greek yogurt, skim milk, chicken. Blecch.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes

Absolute yuck
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. Tastes like soap.

Also, anything quorn. It's made from a mold grown in indoor tanks. Just the idea grosses me out.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes

Absolute yuck

LOL, same here. They taste like styrofoam.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    Quinoa. Tastes like soap.

YES! I cannot stand quinoa!!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I bought an eggplant. I used it in my stir fry dinner. I won't do that again.

I haven't tried odd nut butters, chia pudding, or organ meats, but do use almost everything listed above, some of it quite often. I have the ability to like almost anything, and I don't mean pretend.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Do you have any foods that you started eating when you started your weight loss efforts because you thought that they were 'healthy' or helpful but then ultimately abandoned once you realized that you didn't really have to eat any specific kinds of food to lose weight?

For me:

Carrot sticks (I struggled with raw carrots and the carrots won)

Brown rice (especially when I learned that it's not all that much healthier than white)

Sweet potatoes (just give me a good old russet or yukon gold instead)

Packaged breakfast bars (I realized that I'd rather take 10 minutes and make an egg sandwich for not that many additional calories)

Ironically, there's not much difference nutritionally speaking between a sweet potato and regular potato either...not sure why the sweet potato is such a darling. I like them from time to time, but much prefer a regular baked potato most of the time. The nutritional difference is negligible at best...

I just like the taste way better. I love sweet potatos. Regular potatos however, I could never stand.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    • Sweet potato
    • Celery
    • Fish
    • Couscous/quinoa
    • Peanut butter too, I have a jar of "high protein" PB that I bought for days where I'm lacking protein and ain't very hungry.
    • Brown rice
    • Low fat Laughing Cow cheese, it's like rubber, tastes bad and impossible to spread
    • Greek yogurt
    • Kefir
    • Alpro