Guys who lift, getting advice from chicks...?

Options
123457»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I had a guy tell me I shouldn't try to lift too heavy too soon or I would injure myself. I smiled and said, "That sounds like good advice. I'm not gonna take it, but I'm sure it's good advice..." He laughed, we laughed, all good.

On the subject of women giving advice to men, I had a guy ask me to show him proper rowing form the other day while I was warming up - I warm up on the rowing machine - and ask about the benefits of it, etc. He was a lot younger than I am and I don't think he was flirting.
  • gracegettingittogether
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'd assume she wanted to sleep with me.

kidding... kidding...

If it felt like random advice, I'd mostly ignore it. If it was someone who I'd seen at the gym before and who seemed to know what she was doing, I'd take it under advisement. I'd probably record my next set and watch it later with her comments in mind, then go from there.

That applies to anyone giving me advice.

Ultimately though, I just want to be left alone. But that's not gym/lifting specific, that's pretty much my approach to life.

see, you say you're kidding, but....

there's a lot of truth in that. If a girl, especially a fit attractive one, approaches a guy at the gym, there is a STRONG chance that the guy is going to take it as a come on, no matter WHAT the content of the approach is.

So what you're saying is, the force of wishful thinking is strong? :smile:

we're optimists. we are also not smart. the endorphines and testosterone from working out also has a negative impact on our cognitive abilities.

Not to derail the thread, but that's a *kitten* excuse. If a girl talking to you is a come on, then you're either really arrogant, or a douche. Or both. Probably both.

Hoping it's a come on and assuming it is are very different, with very different responses.

Actually, I don't see anything wrong with speech being a come one. I'm very linguistics oriented and most of my dates with my husband consisted of conversations. That's how my whole family bonds with each other.

I think I prefer someone being interested in me because of speech, rather than the way I look.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If people solicit advice I give them very candid advice that I feel is the most accurate I can give, sometimes at the risk of offending them. If they aren't soliciting advice I let them do their thing.

By analogy picture a very obese person. That person approaches you, comments on your fit appearance and asks for advice. At that point you may, in my opinion, feel free to give them some very candid advice and criticisms. That said would you ever consider just approaching a random obese person and just giving them that advice without them asking?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If I was honestly worried about someone seriously hurting themselves, I'd probably approach one of the many trainers in the gym and mention/point it out to them, and let them go have that chat with someone.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If I was honestly worried about someone seriously hurting themselves, I'd probably approach one of the many trainers in the gym and mention/point it out to them, and let them go have that chat with someone.

^^This. They are the ones responsible.
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

But no I wouldn’t say anything.