October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2017
    @rodmelching We can't kick anyone out of "The Running Club" for not making their estimated mile/Km goals.
    If we did there would be nobody left here to harass ;) support each other.
    @lporter229 200 Mile Bourbon Trail - Mental image of a relay exchange at the Distilleries - with a shot for each athlete. Running in the dark = pristine view of 4-15 meters depending on your Headlight Battery
    This hasn't seemed like a real training cycle... I think a lot of that is that trail is a lot more relaxing than road for me.
    @MNLittleFinn That is a perfect description of why I like Trails
    @MsArriabella Welcome to the Group - Have fun and laugh at some of our foolish antics.
    @navygrrl Sorry to hear about the ankle, follow the Doctors/PT instructions and you will be back here. As MobyCarp and Orphia said there is not a runner in here who hasn't had an injury to overcome.
    Mine was a little over 4 years ago on Remembrance day I suffered a Left Knee Meniscus Tear while walking down a flight of stairs in my house to get my Tie for the Service. May have been running related, swimming related or just a coincidental back step.

Now about the Marathon Runner in Slovakia who had it " All Hanging Out " That's why I wear Saxx 7" inseam Compression undergarment and Running shorts - no accidental displays.
    I would think there would have been some Chaffing or Compression Discomfort that should have immediately ( Painfully ) registered.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    9 km up Pats Creek, was a small group of 6. Ran with Steve who is a soccer player = darn good shape, so I had to work hard to stay with him. Was a brilliant day 20C and sunny.

exercise.png

10/01 7.2 km – 142.8 km - MTD 07.2 km – YTD 1138.87 km
    10/04 9.0 km – 133.8 km - MTD 16.2 km – YTD 1147.87 km
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    October 1 - 16 km
    October 2 - 16 km
    October 3 - 16 km
    October 4 - 16 km
    October 5 - 16 km

Total km - 80 km out of 350 km
  • WR50
    WR50 Posts: 96 Member
    exercise.png[\img]
  • WR50
    WR50 Posts: 96 Member
    icemaker1 wrote: »
    100 mile goal
    14.41 miles
    Without this challenge, I probably would have skipped my run today.

Me too

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    @seanevan10 You're in Irving? I had no idea you lived that nearby...I'm just up the 121 in The Colony.

@7lenny7 I just watched the video, and was in tears watching that! This is why I'm not an advocate of short shorts while running, lol.

@navygrrl Sorry to hear about your ankle. As @skippygirlsmom said, you should definitely still hang out here; others have done so before during various injuries. Wishing you all the best on a speedy recovery.

Tonight was an easy four miles, and then packing for the flight to Long Beach tomorrow for Sunday's marathon. Don't know how much I'll post from my phone, so just in case, I'm looking at doing three miles tomorrow in Long Beach, rest on Friday and meet up with some old friends, and then two miles on Saturday after meeting with another friend in Santa Monica. All in all, I think I'm just about ready for this!

02 - 5.26
    03 - 4.06
    04 - 4.07

Total: 9.39 / 100 miles
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    10/1 - rest (walk)
    10/2 - rest (yoga)
    10/3 - 4.1km
    10/4 - cross training (workout dvd)

Total 4.1/55 km

Today was way less stressful than yesterday for all that I brought home 2 extra hours worth of work and there is plenty more where that came from--reviewing move validations so we can start bringing tests back online post-move while simultaneously preparing for on-site support for an audit at one of our satellite labs up north. Uncle-in-law made it thru the night last night with no breathing episodes, although he did yank out his feeding tube. So today physio started teaching him to swallow again. Not out of the woods yet but he's stubborn and ornery and we are more hopeful than we were.

Looking forward to running home from work tomorrow. It's supposed to be lovely.

Upcoming Races:
    9/24 Heartbeat Run 10K 1:24:44 (11.1km)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member

October Goal: get thru the Aim At Melanoma run without losing it.....

10/1 rest
    10/2 4.20
    10/3 4.10
    10/4 5.30

Total: 13.60

@navygrrl I like @7lenny7 's suggestion of internal lubrication of that injury! (within moderation, of course....)

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    AIM at Melanoma 5k 10/14/17
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    File under running related injuries I never expected to get... I bashed up my THUMB really good. It got caught in the security gate on the way back in from my run yesterday morning. OUCH. Nice blackened thumbnail to match all the toenails that runners get I guess! I do not think it is broken, but still hurts pretty good this morning! Yay!

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    at least we have internet back!!!

Only managed one run so far this month, 3.2miles. I love running in the dark in the mornings. Actually, I PREFER running in the dark. Ahead of me yesterday was a guy with a bright headtorch AND a red flashing light on his backpack to the rear, and I found myself hoping desperately that he wasn't going my route because I wanted to run with the smatterings of morning dawn only. Thankfully he went elsewhere.

So far so good on the not-drinking-in-October thing. It has only been five days mind.......

I didn't make it to a run this morning, but that's less an issue as I'm running with the club tonight on the 'full of stinging nettles and exceptional slurry' run. I'm now having issues with waking up in the morning to run, so have ordered a 'sunrise' alarm clock that gently turns a light on to simulate sunrise a half hour before you are due to wake. Does anyone have any experience of this? I imagine that what will happen is that I wake up half an hour early as soon as it starts, and then get used to it and sleep through the whole thing.

sorry about your injury @navygrrl but as others have said - a break tends to heal better than a tissue tear!!! Stay with us and watch the banter, but maybe steer clear of the doughnuts or hotdogs.....
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »

sorry about your injury @navygrrl but as others have said - a break tends to heal better than a tissue tear!!! Stay with us and watch the banter, but maybe steer clear of the doughnuts or hotdogs.....

Phew, thought you were going to say stay clear of the Eggnog too! :smiley:
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    October Running Challenge
    Goal: 80 km
    Ran: 23/80 km

5/10/17 Run 7 km
    4/10/17 Run 7 km
    3/10/17 Run 9 km
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    navygrrl wrote: »
    Well I just got the call and my ankle is officially broken. I'm waiting to hear from the orthopedist about next steps.

I'm so upset. I was just getting to know all of you in this group, and y'all were getting me even more excited about running. I had signed up for the dark side half marathon in April.

The worst part is that I broke it by walking to the parking lot. I didn't even trip. Ugh. Sorry for the whining.

Good luck to all of you in your goals for October. I'm coming back eventually.

@navygrrl Oh, no, I'm so sorry you broke your ankle.

I'm sure you feel like wallowing in self pity as I would. I hope you can find some comfort in coming back to update us. Throughout these threads along with the highs of achieving goals are many battles with injuries. I don't think there's a runner in here who hasn't had an injury to overcome.

I'm in bed with a bad back at the moment and haven't run for 5 days but I've been reading this thread and running media to get better at running mentally.

Injuries *kitten* suck, though.

It's all part of what makes running such a temperamental but beloved mistress.

@orphia - oh no! Hope you're soon back on your feet and running again.

and injuries that prevent us from running but weren't actually caused by running are the absolute worst. I was once sidelined for months because I slipped on some black ice while walking to my car. If I'd gone for a run instead, it probably wouldn't have happened.