October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    @lporter229 it sounds like your plan is exactly what you need. The running will come back strong in time, I'm sure, and the miles will still be there waiting for you.
    @girlinahat "toad-crossing season"...now there's something I'd never thought I'd hear.
    @MNLittleFinn those slippery trails are great for giving your support muscles a workout, as long as you don't overdo it. I get the oddest cramps after running on icy trails in the winter. I imagine its the same for slick muddy trails.
    @WhatMeRunning I've thought about trying that barefoot running some time. That's as far as I get though.

I skipped my run Monday because I felt I needed more recovery from my Sunday trail run. Oh, and because lightning. I figured I'd get it in yesterday instead. Nope. For a variety of reason my son's soccer schedule was changed at the last minute and he had to play for the B squad about 45 minutes north of here. After that the varsity played and we stayed to watch that, so by the time I got home it was too late.

Tonight I HAVE to run. To get back on track I'm thinking 10 miles or so since tomorrow's an off day.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @7lenny7 I normally love the muddy trails, this week it's more about the shower time required to clean up after that was the issue. Back on the hills tomorrow. Can't believe I'm in the last week before taper. This hasn't seemed like a real training cycle... I think a lot of that is that trail is a lot more relaxing than road for me.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited October 2017
    10/1 = 15 miles
    10/2 = 6.5 miles and strength training
    10/3 = rest day
    10/4 = 8 miles

One rest day and now I am 128 posts behind. LOL Eight miles this morning in mecha-humidity. 97% humidity at 74 degrees. I am beginning to loose hope that fall will ever arrive.

Training plan question: The MapMyRun marathon training plan I have been following has me doing my longest 20 mile training run the day I am scheduled to run my 1/2 marathon (on 10/28). Obviously, that is not happening. I was going to do it the week after (on 11/3), however, the ladies in my running group tell me the longest run should be three weeks out from the race. This would make my longest run on 11/19. Thoughts?

29.5/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Did any of you hear about that marathon runner in Slovakia last weekend? Apparently he was running balls out for the last few minutes and finished in 10th place.

That's all I'm giving you on that one.

Yes. It's all over the internet. Runners world has an article if anyone missed it. I'm sensing a need for better shorts for men. Cha-ching.

@WhatMeRunning Remember lonewolf had some shoes he referred to as shoe condoms? I'd be willing to give those a go. Be nice if anyone happened to remember the brand.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    Had fun on my run this morning seeing how fast I could go. Definitely my fastest time for that distance. I feel ready for the 5k, despite having to run up the rocks at Red Rocks to finish. I'm going to a concert there tonight so I can stare down my nemesis and let them know who's boss.

10/1 - REST
    10/2 - 4m
    10/3 - CROSS // 20 mins mat pilates + walk
    10/4 - 4m
    10/5 - REST
    10/6 -
    10/7 - REST
    10/8 - 5k!!

Goal: 50
    MTD: 08

Upcoming Races
    10/08 - (5k) Run the Rocks
    10/28 - (10k) Kooky Spooky
    11/18 - (10k) Turkey Trek
    12/09 - (HM) Fa La La Half Marathon

OMG I love Red Rocks! I had a friend get married there like 14 years ago. Yike, that was a long time. But I can't imagine running up those stairs AFTER running all that way. I hope you have fun at the concert tonight. Still the very best place in the whole world to see a concert. Oh random thought...we used to go see Blues Traveler there every 4th of July and then watch fireworks. ...memories...

Yeah. Not quite sure where I'm gonna find the gas for the stairs at the end, but I suppose I'll figure it out when I get there. Gonna take a look tonight and see how hard it is to take two at a time.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Thanks @lporter229! I grew up right near Red Rocks so it totally feels like home. I am so excited.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    Had fun on my run this morning seeing how fast I could go. Definitely my fastest time for that distance. I feel ready for the 5k, despite having to run up the rocks at Red Rocks to finish. I'm going to a concert there tonight so I can stare down my nemesis and let them know who's boss.

10/1 - REST
    10/2 - 4m
    10/3 - CROSS // 20 mins mat pilates + walk
    10/4 - 4m
    10/5 - REST
    10/6 -
    10/7 - REST
    10/8 - 5k!!

Goal: 50
    MTD: 08

Upcoming Races
    10/08 - (5k) Run the Rocks
    10/28 - (10k) Kooky Spooky
    11/18 - (10k) Turkey Trek
    12/09 - (HM) Fa La La Half Marathon

OMG I love Red Rocks! I had a friend get married there like 14 years ago. Yike, that was a long time. But I can't imagine running up those stairs AFTER running all that way. I hope you have fun at the concert tonight. Still the very best place in the whole world to see a concert. Oh random thought...we used to go see Blues Traveler there every 4th of July and then watch fireworks. ...memories...

Yeah. Not quite sure where I'm gonna find the gas for the stairs at the end, but I suppose I'll figure it out when I get there. Gonna take a look tonight and see how hard it is to take two at a time.

I ran a 5k once that had stairs at the end, only they had us running down. I think I would rather run up. It might slow you down, but it was scary running down the steps that fast. If you are used to running them that will help. My 5k was at a park where I run regularly and I usually run up those stairs at least once sometimes more than once. I have run down them a few times, but prefer running up as I am afraid of falling.
  • fitoverfortymom
    @kgirlhart I would most definitely want to run up the stairs rather than down. Going down stairs is brutal.

I've practiced on the stairs, but not the entire sequence at once. It pretty much goes 6 stairs > landing > 6 stairs > landing for a total of 380 stairs.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @kgirlhart I would most definitely want to run up the stairs rather than down. Going down stairs is brutal.

I've practiced on the stairs, but not the entire sequence at once. It pretty much goes 6 stairs > landing > 6 stairs > landing for a total of 380 stairs.

I have been known to run NEXT to the stairs if there is the option, especially for down. I find it might gentle on knees.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited October 2017
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Did any of you hear about that marathon runner in Slovakia last weekend? Apparently he was running balls out for the last few minutes and finished in 10th place.

That's all I'm giving you on that one.
    I'm just now getting comfortable with barefoot running...and I still wear socks even for that!

...I did feel faster though...

...So maybe it is worth a shot...
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    I'll give it a shot, going for 80 miles this month!

exercise.png

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    @fitoverfortyomom Wow! That's a lot of stairs! Mine isn't' that bad.

@pastorvincent I also run next to the steps sometimes. It is easier. I just have to make sure not to get too close or there are sprinkler heads to trip on.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning Remember lonewolf had some shoes he referred to as shoe condoms? I'd be willing to give those a go. Be nice if anyone happened to remember the brand.
    Skinners? https://www.skinners.cc/
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    My goal for October will be 85 miles (I work in kms so will convert it!).

@nowornever250 - If you'd rather have your goal match your tracking, some folks here set goals in kms. It would be a courtesy to specify in each post which unit you're using, but there is no need to convert to a unit that you wouldn't otherwise use.

@Ryokat - Maybe I'm insensitive, but the first thing I thought was that you helped increase the average intelligence of the toad population by some tiny increment.
    I've come to you all, insightful and tech-savvy runners, with a Strava related questions. I have the following issue with my Strava application: whenever I try to get to the MFP monthly challenge club, the app "kicks me out", i.e. it just shuts down and my phone goes to home screen. I can load all my other clubs, just not this one. Did anyone encounter this issue before? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

@Runningmischka - I haven't had that particular issue, but . . . The other day I did a routine upgrade to IOS 11. There was a warning that the Strava app was not compatible. There were no updates for the Strava app.

So I went to the app store, and found an app called Strava. It had a different icon. Installed that one, deleted the old Strava app I had, and all of a sudden the social media aspects of Strava *work* on my phone. Go figure.

So my best suggestion is go to the app store (or Android equivalent) and do a search for "Strava". If it turns up a newer app than you're using, try that one. If you're using the most current Strava app, I'm out of ideas.

@PastorVincent - Chocolate egg nog? Oh, no. Now you've got me thinking how I'd make that. I'm really better off ignoring egg nog at least until I'm able to run 40 miles a week again.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Oh, @Elise4270 there is also this option! :lol: I think a pair of socks is about to be SACRIFICED!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRCXy_UHPVc
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Well I just got the call and my ankle is officially broken. I'm waiting to hear from the orthopedist about next steps.

I'm so upset. I was just getting to know all of you in this group, and y'all were getting me even more excited about running. I had signed up for the dark side half marathon in April.

The worst part is that I broke it by walking to the parking lot. I didn't even trip. Ugh. Sorry for the whining.

Good luck to all of you in your goals for October. I'm coming back eventually.
  • WhatMeRunning
    So sorry to hear about the break @navygrrl. Heal up fully and you can run again.