October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Oh, @Elise4270 there is also this option! :lol: I think a pair of socks is about to be SACRIFICED!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRCXy_UHPVc

I like it!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    navygrrl wrote: »
    Well I just got the call and my ankle is officially broken. I'm waiting to hear from the orthopedist about next steps.

I'm so upset. I was just getting to know all of you in this group, and y'all were getting me even more excited about running. I had signed up for the dark side half marathon in April.

The worst part is that I broke it by walking to the parking lot. I didn't even trip. Ugh. Sorry for the whining.

Good luck to all of you in your goals for October. I'm coming back eventually.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that! We welcome injured runners, so you are more than welcome to keep us updated on your progress.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @lporter229 Well that sounds interesting though I’m not sure it sounds fun
    @7lenny7 I didn’t hear about the runner but of course I had to google it. I find it hard to believe it didn’t feel the breeze ha ha The best is really the faces on the people watching him go by
    Wow @navygrrl so sorry to hear that! You can still hang out with us even if you aren’t running. If it helps my daughter broke her leg (the growth plate) had surgery was in a cast for 7 weeks, in a boot for 2 weeks and less than 6 months later set her school record for 3 miles and a PR in a 5K. Never a problem or pain at all afterwards. Hang in there!
    @whatmerunning @elise4270 I lose my mind when Skip goes outside in her Swiftwicks with no shoes or worse tries to walk at meet with no shoes. No way for what I pay for them.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @navygrrl So sorry about the ankle! Get well soon <3

And yes, the guy with everything hanging out his shorts :*
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    @navygrrl I'm so sad to read about your ankle!! Praying you'll be back on your feet in no time!! Keep us posted.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    October 1 – 3.1 miles Ft. DeSoto 5K, Race #1 of the Triple Crown
    October 2 – 3.25 miles recovery run & P90X3 Eccentric Upper
    October 3 – 0.0 miles Camp Gladiator
    October 4 – 6.0 miles

Total miles 12.35/100

Upcoming Races:
    October 29 – Ft. DeSoto Halloween 5K, Race #2 of the Triple Crown
    November 19 – St. Pete Runfest Half Marathon
    November 23 – Tampa bay Time Turkey Trot 5K
    December 2 – Brooksville Mud Endeavor OCR 5K
    December 13 – Jungle Bell Run 5K
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @navygrrl - Ouch. I've had a stress fracture in my foot, and come back. It doesn't take forever, but while you're healing it feels like it's taking forever. Be patient, heal well, and come back completely. This is more important than coming back quickly.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Well I just got the call and my ankle is officially broken. I'm waiting to hear from the orthopedist about next steps.

BOO! Follow the docs orders and let it heal properly. You will be back! :)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member

I'm so upset. I was just getting to know all of you in this group, and y'all were getting me even more excited about running. I had signed up for the dark side half marathon in April.

The worst part is that I broke it by walking to the parking lot. I didn't even trip. Ugh. Sorry for the whining.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    10/1 13.3
    10/2 Rest
    10/3 4.2
    10/4 4.4

Total 21.9
    Goal 120

Upcoming races:
    11/25 Schaumburg HM
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Late on the training cycle hypochondria set in... fell a slight weirdness on thr inside of my right knee... I've been on road the last 2 days.... so it's now got a full KT support on it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    10/1 - Rest
    10/2 - Rest
    10/3 - 5 miles treadmill before weight lifting
    10/4 - 8.15 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run marathon (First marathon... goal 4:10)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited October 2017
    October goal: 70 miles

10/1: 7.7 miles
    10/3: 3 miles (intervals)
    10/4: 3.1 miles

13.8/70 miles

It was so hot and humid today. I don't know what happened to Fall. But it was a nice 3.1 mile run.

@navygrrl Sorry that it is definitely a break. Take care and you will be back at it soon.

Upcoming Races:
    10/7/17: Old Rip 5K
    10/14/17: Aim at Melanoma 5K (virtual)

exercise.png

• laurenisfitforlife
    laurenisfitforlife Posts: 71 Member
    I'm in for 40 kms - I'm coming back from being sick for the last month so wanting to ease gently back in.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    @navygrrl - So sorry to hear about your injury. Don't give up though. Hanging out around here may keep you excited about coming back to running once you are all healed up.

@lporter229 - What a fun relay - do you get samples along the way? BTW do you live near there? I spent 4 years in that area several years ago.

• hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    @Runningmischka Teaching the labs, but still...

10/4 Rest day: Morning yoga and walking 40 min before lunch, coaching youth XC in the evening but didn't do much there (though 4 of my 8-10 year old runners managed 2 consecutive 1K negative splits during a 3K course! I was really proud of them!).

Goal: 75 mi
    Cumulative: 8 mi
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited October 2017

@navygrrl Oh, no, I'm so sorry you broke your ankle.

I'm sure you feel like wallowing in self pity as I would. I hope you can find some comfort in coming back to update us. Throughout these threads along with the highs of achieving goals are many battles with injuries. I don't think there's a runner in here who hasn't had an injury to overcome.

I'm in bed with a bad back at the moment and haven't run for 5 days but I've been reading this thread and running media to get better at running mentally.

Injuries *kitten* suck, though.

It's all part of what makes running such a temperamental but beloved mistress.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    @navygrrl I can sympathize to some extent... darned ankles - but do follow docs orders! My current benched time is due to an old ankle injury (sprained bad enough doc said a break would have been better) rearing its ugly head that I didn't have great advice on, and didn't really follow the limited advice I did get...
    if it makes you feel better my original issue was caused by what I generally call "failure at walking"... not stepping in a hole, not tripping, not running, not doing anything dumb... just failure at walking.

but these folks are lovely and take care of us even when we aren't running... so please don't think you need to go away.