October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited October 2017
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have a question for the guys. This weekend is my anniversary and since we will be doing the Bourbon Chase next weekend and my husband has very little running gear, I thought that I might get him a few items of new clothing. I was looking at shorts (he definitely likes at least mid length or longer) and I am wondering if he would like the added support of the two-in-one compression lined type shorts. Do any of you guys have an opinion on these? Love them? Hate them? Are there any specific "guy" issues I might need to consider? Thanks in advance for your help!

Personally, I wear the UA Compression Shorts ( something like http://amzn.to/2y3z3UV ) under my normal running shorts ( UA Heat Gear 10" http://amzn.to/2y1IB23 ) and I find it helps reduce chaffing down there. I much prefer that over "normal" underwear for running. It also prevents anything from falling out or swinging around too much.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    0/1: 16.35k -Easy long run-
    10/2: 10.3k -Easy+11 strides-
    10/5: 10.6k -Moderate Tempo-

Moderate tempo after a heavy meal. Not a good idea. Soft grassy surface once again

Goal: 37.3k/180k

Stay hydrated!

Upcoming races:
    9/16: 4th Kavala Night City Run 10k: 49:47 (new PR)
    9/24: Xiropotamos Trail 2017 11k: 1:17:59
    10/1: Voreia Sirris Challenge 23k: Not registered
    10/15: Nestos Trail VFTU 10k
    11/26: 4th Democritus Half Marathon
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Another short mile in my new footwear. :lol: Despite being another heavy squat and deadlift day, it was not a bad run at all, felt rather easy actually, and I did not make any stops, not even at the top of the hill at the halfway point.

It is hard to fairly evaluate side-by-side this new "footwear" with the old at this point, but it does seem to feel easier when running.

As for any hard data, this is about the best I can provide. It is not the best since I am comparing a 5k effort in my normal running shoes on 7/4/2017 when my running fitness was likely higher than now, since I have been focused on strength for over 2 months, with my last run before this week being back on 7/8. But this is about the best comparison I can make. While I did wear shoes on my Monday run, I had that low back soreness and did a lot of walking, so that data can not compare. This data is from two runs where I did nothing but run the entire way, but one with shoes, the other in just socks. :smile:

Stride Length: .81 with shoes, .76 without
    Cadence: 164 with shoes, 162 without
    Vert Ratio: 7.2% with shoes, 7.3% without
    GCT Balance: 47.8%L/52.2%R with shoes, 49.8%L/50.2%R without

Normally, I would see a decline in all of these after a break from running, and that did happen with Stride Length and Cadence. But my Vertical Ratio and Ground Contact Time Balance improved, especially GCT Balance. That was a factor I was always off in. I was always heavier on my right foot, and that stat above was about as good I I would see on average. Seeing a nearly even split on just my 3rd run after starting up running again is a surprise for sure. Maybe it's the footwear? I don't know. I suspect so.

So far I am enjoying this barefoot running. For now. We'll see how things progress with weather, and particularly as distance increases. But I am not particularly feeling any urgency to go back to shoes to be perfectly honest. I figure maybe next week I will try a run in shoes just to see if it is too weird. I have heard a lot of people have problems switching back to shoes after running barefoot for a while.

10/2 - 1 mile
    10/3 - 1 mile
    10/5 - 1 mile

3 of 20 total miles complete

exercise.png

Upcoming events:
    AIM at Melanoma 5k 10/14
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited October 2017
    @lporter229 - That is definitely going to vary from person to person. I like to wear boxer briefs, I'm keen towards the Adidas Climacool line. So I have no need for any liner. I have one pair of shorts with a thicker liner and I find it uncomfortable withe the added underwear, and I don't like the liner by itself as it does not go down my thigh like the boxer briefs do.

ETA - I believe boxer briefs are the solution to running "balls out".
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @WhatMeRunning Excellent data!

If you can address issues, gait, any imbalances by running barefoot, perhaps when you are ready for shoes, a minimal shoe would work well for you.

I'm really interested in doing some shoeless runs.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @WhatMeRunning I did the barefoot thing for around a year and had mixed feelings about it. Some of the bigger problems I hit:

Asphalt is stinking HOT in the summer. Like burn your flesh hot.
    Trails and rough terrain require a lot more care.
    Cold weather was completely unmanageable
    You have to be constantly on the watch for litter (glass, still lit cigs, and so on)
    Your foot is exposed if you have to fight off a dog (yes this happen to me)

It has its benefits, especially in some terrain, such as a beach, dunes, streams and the like but it has its drawbacks too. After a while decided that, for me, the drawbacks were greater than I wanted to deal with.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @7lenny7 ouch your poor pinky toe
    @PastorVincent ouch to you too!
    @girlinahat I’m the same way lit up people, I loved running by the moon light this morning. I have a flashing light I keep on my mace band, but I can’t really see it when I’m running. I hold it up when cars are coming so they see me. Let me know how the alarm clock works out, sounds neat.
    @ddmom0811 lightening sends me home too. Glad you had a good birthday
    @orphia what did you do to your back. Feel better
    @KatieJane83 sounds like you have a good PT there! Keep us posted.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    edited October 2017
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I was looking at shorts (he definitely likes at least mid length or longer) and I am wondering if he would like the added support of the two-in-one compression lined type shorts. Do any of you guys have an opinion on these? Love them? Hate them? Are there any specific "guy" issues I might need to consider? Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm not a fan of built in liners in my running shorts. I have two pair like that now, New Balance and Under Armor. The New Balance are actually ok, but the Under Armor feels weird and I'm about to cut the liner out.

Now you asked about compression lined, and I'm talking about a regular liner, but my point is this...I find it far better to have a pair of underwear that work well with any shorts, than to deal with different liners in different shorts. It also makes my shorts cheaper as I just get the $14 pair from Costco when I need them. Cheap!

Like @WhatMeRunning I also use the Adidas Climacool boxer briefs, also from Costco. I have 6 pair that I use exclusively for running and they work very well, even for the 20+ mile long runs (with proper lube in runs of 10 or more miles).

But big picture, I think you'll find guys who love them and guys who hate them. Personally, I would rather my wife not buy my running clothes unless she knew specifically what I wanted because I'd rather pick it out. The difference here, however, is that you ARE a runner and no more about the stuff. Perhaps get him a gift card for some running gear? My wife thinks gift cards are less personal, but I love them because their more practical.

Speaking of Costco, I find the "32 Degrees Heat" base layers to be super comfortable for running, particularly the short sleeved tees which are made from recycled plastic bottles. Macy's sells them too (or used to). Unfortunately with Costco many items are sold only for a limited time.
  • 7lenny7
    @skippygirlsmom my toe was throbbing last night, but today it doesn't feel too bad. I should be good to go for my run tomorrow. I've always been a quick healer.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @PastorVincent @WhatMeRunning and @7lenny7 - Thanks for the input. I will definitely look into the Climacool boxer briefs. The reason I was looking to buy him some running gear is that I don't think this is the kind of stuff he would pick up on his own since he doesn't really do much running. He often still runs in cotton tees. I thought he might like to have some decent gear so he can feel the difference.

@7lenny7 - I hope the toe feels better. I haven't had a toe injury myself, but I have heard that taping it helps a lot.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

I'm in bed with a bad back at the moment and haven't run for 5 days but I've been reading this thread and running media to get better at running mentally.

Injuries *kitten* suck, though.

It's all part of what makes running such a temperamental but beloved mistress.

Well said!! Although, there are times I'm pretty sure I would have chosen a much different word for mistress!!
  • BettyM1017
    @WhatMeRunning I did the barefoot thing for around a year and had mixed feelings about it. Some of the bigger problems I hit:

You have to be constantly on the watch for litter (glass, still lit cigs, and so on)

It has its benefits, especially in some terrain, such as a beach, dunes, streams and the like but it has its drawbacks too. After a while decided that, for me, the drawbacks were greater than I wanted to deal with.

Ditto! I'm an urban runner, and I don't think I have the patience to take the time to toughen my feet to handle asphalt, concrete, and cobblestone. However, ever since my beach races this summer, I've been contemplating adding a barefoot beach run every other week or so. I think it might be good for my feet and legs.
  • BettyM1017
    October 1 – 3.1 miles Ft. DeSoto 5K, Race #1 of the Triple Crown
    October 2 – 3.25 miles recovery run & P90X3 Eccentric Upper
    October 3 – 0.0 miles Camp Gladiator
    October 4 – 6.0 miles
    October 5 – 2.25 miles, Camp Gladiator, & P90X3 Eccentric Lower

Total miles 14.6/100

Because we were working out with a local running group, CG was a short workout. I still felt good so I added Eccentric Lower when I got home. It just means I don’t have to do it on Saturday and can go kayaking instead...unless TS Nate botches my plans, lol!

Upcoming Races:
    October 29 – Ft. DeSoto Halloween 5K, Race #2 of the Triple Crown
    November 19 – St. Pete Runfest Half Marathon
    November 23 – Tampa bay Time Turkey Trot 5K
    December 2 – Brooksville Mud Endeavor OCR 5K
    December 13 – Jungle Bell Run 5K
  • BettyM1017
    File under running related injuries I never expected to get... I bashed up my THUMB really good. It got caught in the security gate on the way back in from my run yesterday morning. OUCH. Nice blackened thumbnail to match all the toenails that runners get I guess! I do not think it is broken, but still hurts pretty good this morning! Yay!

How's the thumb? Do you think you'll end up losing the nail?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited October 2017
    BettyM1017 wrote: »

Ditto! I'm an urban runner, and I don't think I have the patience to take the time to toughen my feet to handle asphalt, concrete, and cobblestone. However, ever since my beach races this summer, I've been contemplating adding a barefoot beach run every other week or so. I think it might be good for my feet and legs.

barefoot has it's place. it's not the be all, end all that the real hard core folks make it out to be. It really helps with form and such, but in the end it's just another tool. I barefoot run, but I also just run in more minimalist shoes a lot too, you get most of the benefit without the worry about foot damage.... and -10 with bare feet would suck... There's a reason that there were no truly barefoot ancient cultures from northern climes... it's an equatorial thing.
  • 7lenny7
    When I decide to explore it, I'll likely go barefoot "style", not actual barefoot. Get a super thin protective sandal or shoe, like the xero shoe

If you want to research barefoot running, you can go nuts here:

https://www.thebarefootrunners.org/library-articles/library.26/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    When I decide to explore it, I'll likely go barefoot "style", not actual barefoot. Get a super thin protective sandal or shoe, like the xero shoe

If you want to research barefoot running, you can go nuts here:

https://www.thebarefootrunners.org/library-articles/library.26/

You said "go nuts". :lol: shouldn't you be sharing mens running shorts?

Like you, I plan on going shoeless in style. :wink:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @lporter229 "Unfortunately, no samples allowed on the bourbon chase"

What fresh hell is this? A race BETWEEN distilleries and no tasting? I prescribe Marathon de Medoc instead.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Re: barefoot running. I've not yet been brave enough to go completely shoe free, but considering some sort runs in the park that way.