WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Josephine - if today is your birthday, have a great day! :D<3B)

Barbie - What a fabulous photo! You are so like her! I hope you will frame the original and put it on the wall. <3

Yesterday pm was fun with picking up Max from his amazing school. We have to walk through the park to get there and on the way back we stopped at the exercise machines that are dotted about. With all those and climbing trees it took a long time to get home. Alice went out with Bea to the shop, so we weren't in a rush.
    The school he goes to, and Edie will be going to next year, is bilingual English and Spanish. Some of the lessons and the after school activities are in Spanish. It seems to be a very happy place. All the children on the machines were very polite, taking turns etc.
    Apparently all the time Bea was going to the shop with Alice she was shouting for Johnny, my DH, who is a genius with children. She has changed so much in the last couple of months and can now say loads of words and can join in the family games with the others. Really growing up. <3

We went out in the evening to the fish restaurant for my birthday meal. My son and I had delicious food, but DH and DDIL were unlucky with their choices. I felt DDIL was tired, she had been working all day giving Skype consultations, and her food was disappointing. Oh well. I was in fishy heaven! Oysters and a great big octopus tentacle. :o:D

Walking home is always a good idea after a meal out!

In the night I woke up and started to read an autobiography I am loving. 2 hours flew by. Oooops! I also booked online a famous gastro pub for tonight, called The Ginger Pig. Everybody recommends it. It's about 25 minutes walk from here, so will be another walking opportunity. I will try to eat lightly again.
    DS is cooking bbq steak for us tomorrow night.
    This afternoon we are walking into town to see a Constable exhibition at the Brighton Art Gallery. It's drawings and paintings he made of Brighton. I don't want to move the car now we've bagged the best parking spot, so won't go to Virginia Woolf's house, which I wanted to see. It's about 12 miles away, but it will keep for another time. On the way to the gallery we will pass by TopShop. As an extra present for my birthday DDIL bought me some tassel earrings from there as I had so admired the red ones Alice was wearing. They bought me blue, which are lovely and I've worn them twice, but I really fancy some red ones as well. :blushing: Apparently they are right on trend! B) Last night I wanted to sparkle so I wore my diamanté!

Love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3:)
  • pansywalker
    pansywalker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It looks like everyone here have bonded and have strong ties. I feel the "warm an fuzzy." I am looking for a new group.
    Congratulations to you all.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning my sweet friends
    I am sitting in my room enjoying a cup of tea and catching up.
    It has been 5 days since I have been here and I am trying to get into some sort of schedule.today going to lawyers.and Tom still hasn't given attorney all finanicals so he will be going to court next Monday if his attorney is smart she better tell him this time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Sending strength and good thoughts to everyone who's feeling overwhelmed by the forces of nature and dark side of human nature. :cry: Sometimes I just want to give up and crawl into a hole. But as my mother told me long ago, that's a cop-out. I mustn't give myself that luxury. As a thinking human, I have a responsibility to do what I can to improve things.

My reboot on the healthy living front continues to go well. Funny how that works. You get weeks or months when you simply can't be bothered, then suddenly *poof* and everything runs smoothly again.

One of our newbies asked how to curb late-night snacking, and a non-newbie said something about how hard it is to convince oneself that a raw carrot would be a good late night snack. On that theme, I'll write about what works for me. (Many of you already know about this, but for the newbies, here's one of my best strategies for healthy eating.)

Every morning, I prepare 500 grams (1 lb 1.5 oz) of raw veggies to eat as snacks. That comes to about a quart in volume and averages 175 kcal. My goal is to eat them all before the day is over. Frequently I don't get around to eating them during the day, and I'm sitting there with a bunch of prepped veggies in the evening. That's when they come into their own!

I totally agree it's hard to convince myself that a raw carrot would be a fantastic late-night snack. But when I have them prepped and ready, and I know I should eat them and they won't be as good the next day, I CAN eat them. Path of least resistance. >:) By the time I've stuffed them into my mouth, all snack cravings are gone. o:)

Another advantage to this strategy is I'm sure I get my vitamins and minerals. In MFP's food diary summary, I essentially always exceed my target intake of fiber.
    findmxy727sb.jpg

Today I'll try to harvest the black currants. It's late in the season so they're overripe, but I'll harvest them anyway and make jam and/or cordial for my son. (I'm indifferent to black currants but he loves them.) Many of the raspberries still haven't ripened (!) but some have. I'll save those for my husband, who arrives tomorrow evening. I didn't save the extra-bonus strawberries, though! I laid the strawberry patch to rest for the winter last time I was here, a month ago, leaving a few stray unripe ones in place. Ripening is always a long, slow process in the cool air of the High North: they soak up the midnight sun for months, developing an intense flavor. Our August strawberries are amazing, but those three little October strawberries were mind-blowing.

I've also got the potato patch to harvest. That involves so much digging I think I'll wait for my husband.

I'll end with a sad little story completely devoid of evil. Last time I was here I noticed a stray reindeer among the sheep on the field below the house. A Saami has his reindeer herd pastured up in the mountains of this island in the summer. In fall, he rounds them up, loads them onto a boat, and takes them to their winter pastures on the mainland. But sometimes a few reindeer get left behind. This fall, one solitary reindeer has been hanging around.
    lxryldo3emd1.jpg

But reindeer live in flocks. Since he didn't have any friends, he joined up with the sheep that wander around the village. Now, a month after I first saw him, he's still hanging around with the sheep, but I think he has now become a sheep. His coat has become much lighter; he grazes much closer to the sheep, and when they lie down in a sheltered, sunny spot, he's right in the middle of the cluster. The only thing different about him is he's slightly bigger and has antlers.

In a few weeks, the farmer who owns the sheep will be enclosing them within the fold on his property. That's going to mean one lonely reindeer. :cry:

/Penny, in harvest mode near the North Pole

I like the veggie idea. :)

I don't eat much early in the day, and then eat more in the evening. But I prelog everything so I know how much I've got to work with in the evening. Depending on my exercise, sometimes I've got more ... sometimes I've got less.

I hope the reindeer is able to find a friend.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Thursday -- hard to believe the week is almost over!

Walk: 6.5 km
    Stairs: 14 flights of 20 stairs

It's been a drizzy, misty, rainy, cool day ... both today and yesterday, actually. Fortunately tomorrow and the weekend look better.

I'm tired this evening (Thursday evening 10:45 pm) and might plan to go to bed earlier than usual.

Machka in Oz

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    I made a big mistake talking about my lilies! They are not cala lilies but cana lilies. They grow tall and have pretty red and yellow flowers and large green leaves. Easy to pull up and replant but unfortunately I don't have another place they would look well.

Penny ~ Loved your little story about the reindeer and the sheep. Lovely looking pasture.

Barbie ~ I agree with Heather. You look so much like you great grandmother.

Josephine ~ Happy Birthday!

Kelly ~ I know that the person who you talked to was very impressed with your daycare. You tell us about so many exciting days you create for your children.

For the last few days my ankles and feet have been swollen like sausages. I count it as being on fast food/salty food over the last two weeks. This morning I woke up and the scale was down almost 9 lbs. I am sure it will quickly go back up a few pounds but I am so happy that the extra poundage is gone for at least today. :)

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    I made a big mistake talking about my lilies! They are not cala lilies but cana lilies. They grow tall and have pretty red and yellow flowers and large green leaves. Easy to pull up and replant but unfortunately I don't have another place they would look well.

For the last few days my ankles and feet have been swollen like sausages. I count it as being on fast food/salty food over the last two weeks. This morning I woke up and the scale was down almost 9 lbs. I am sure it will quickly go back up a few pounds but I am so happy that the extra poundage is gone for at least today. :)

We've got cala lilies all over the place in here in Tasmania ... :) These were just growing wild at my sister-in-law's place ...

12433195514_e73b5ba3ab.jpg

And if my ankles swelled like that, I'd be into the after-hours clinic worried about DVT ... again. :(

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Math phobes feel free to skip this post....

KetoneKaren, my take on the math shortcuts.... as long as the shortcut helps to build number sense instead of just another thing to memorize, it should be helpful. The scientific notation shortcut usually involves moving the decimal point to the left or the right and adding or taking away zeros, right? If the child memorizes this without a sense for the size of the numbers involved, then it is easy to get confused and do it backwards. Just make sure he gets the idea of negative powers of ten representing really small numbers and positive powers of ten representing really big numbers. Then whether to go left or right, end up with a positive or negative power of ten, have a big number like 40,000 or a small number like 0.0004 will make sense to him.

My other take on teachers’ response to kids doing problems differently from the “strategy of the day” is that it is directly related to their personal confidence in being able to understand different strategies and their own number sense. The stronger their own understanding, the more likely they are to praise independent thinking and the way that works for that child.

Time for the gym. More later.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Amybcb wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am not 50 yet, but hoping to join. Why you ask? I am 41 and have been in peri menopause for 3 years. Many my own age do not understand, as I am on the younger side to be dealing with it. Need a place where others understand, can give advice and inspire. Perhaps I can be an honorary 50 because of this?

:) When this thread first started, the first post of the month said "The title is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome". If you feel attracted to the conversations and topics, then this is the place for you. This thread is filled with wisdom, experience, and support and we welcome more.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    It looks like everyone here have bonded and have strong ties. I feel the "warm an fuzzy." I am looking for a new group.
    Congratulations to you all.

:) Some of the women on this thread have been here for years and others for a few days. It is easy to feel bonded if you jump right into the conversation. You won't connect with everyone but start by responding to a few and certainly tell us more about yourself.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Kelly, that is wonderful about the associate’s degree. What an exciting new adventure.

redrise246, welcome to the group. What do you want to be called? I need to check into the hula hoop. Where did you buy yours?

Machka, thank you so much for the information. I have texted my daughter to see what specifically she is having problems with and will let you know. I really appreciate the help (she was excited to check the websites out). There are so many different sides to IT. My daughter is 34 and never been married. She has had boyfriends (some abusive) but no one to marry. She is seeing a man that is about 17 years older than her (they split then they get back together about every year, wish he would commit to her!) and has two boys she adores. She always says that she isn’t sure if she wants kids. I could cry every time I think of not have any grandchildren but I never tell her that. I tell her it is her decision and it is ok not to have them then to have them because you think you should. Sometimes we laugh about it. She once sent me a picture of a skeleton with the saying “My mother waiting for grandchildren”.

Joule, too bad you are not going. Could you skype? I’m not a lover of dogs but when we took in Tony (from my daughter) I now can’t picture our house without him. “Failure doesn’t mean the game is over, it means try again with experience.”

Penny, that poor deer. Glad he was adopted by the sheep. Hopefully that will help with the loneness.

Becca, I love the old photos. I like black and white better than color as it makes you notice the detail instead of your eye bring drawn to the color.

Josephine, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. May you have a wonderful day filled with everything you could ask for.

Heather, I envy your visit to the gallery. Wherever place we visit we go to an art gallery or museum. My husband has a bachelor’s in fin art. I love to see the paintings with him as he will tell me all the details of the artist’s live.

I have found that eating an orange when I am craving chocolate it satisfies the craving. Not sure where I got that one. I also have frozen grape ready at night. Tassel earrings are in now. Please send a pic so that we can see what they look like.

Amybcb, I have no problem with you joining our group. However, you may get a little bored with our stories about grandchildren and the aches and pains that come with age. But do we know about menopause! I recommend soy nuts. I put about 1 tlb on my cereal and it seemed to cut my hot flashes in half. Give it a try and see if it helps you.

Pansywalker, welcome to the group. Tell us about yourself and what you would like to be called. I think you will find this group to be very supportive both of your diet and life in general.

Allie, Good thing you don’t have Tom’s lawyer! What a ditz. It’s almost like you have two lawyers working for you!

Went to the bedroom and read while the news was on last night. I couldn’t watch yesterday. Overload! DH cousin came down and got her dad out. Now the only ones left in PR is my MIL & SIL. They will keep trying to get her to leave. I think it will be a losing battle. I know DH would feel so much better and less stressed if she was here.

Foot drs appt tomorrow. Doesn’t feel much better. Did at first and now it is pretty much back to where it is. Also taking used books to the bookstore to get credit. Any they don’t take I’m taking to the library. I am not bringing them back home!

Well, I guess I should get back to work. Have a great day ladies.

Terry at work in VT
  • Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Machka, thank you so much for the information. I have texted my daughter to see what specifically she is having problems with and will let you know. I really appreciate the help (she was excited to check the websites out). There are so many different sides to IT. My daughter is 34 and never been married. She has had boyfriends (some abusive) but no one to marry. She is seeing a man that is about 17 years older than her (they split then they get back together about every year, wish he would commit to her!) and has two boys she adores. She always says that she isn’t sure if she wants kids. I could cry every time I think of not have any grandchildren but I never tell her that. I tell her it is her decision and it is ok not to have them then to have them because you think you should. Sometimes we laugh about it. She once sent me a picture of a skeleton with the saying “My mother waiting for grandchildren”.

Fortunately, perhaps, my brother and his wife have had 4 children ... I think I have made the comment that they've had a couple for me. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I hope those sites help ... and do tell her to google Java for Dummies (or similar). It seems silly to go that route, but those books are surprisingly well written in many cases and are quite easy to understand. Also some of them can be downloaded for free.

M in Oz
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lanette I have noticed that too! I thought I read all the posts, but Michelle said something to Terry above and I’m sure I’d have understood if I saw Terry’s original post, I’m going to have to go back and check. Thanks for asking about the interview. It was las week and I think (hoping) it went well. Did I mention our childhood dog was a mini schnauzer? I’ll have to see if I can rumble up a pic.

Penny I’m so worried about that poor lonely reindeer. I’ve named him Mike the reindeer and if you find out more about how he’s doing when he loses his sheep family, please let us know.

Josephine
    6yt7l1ip0aqa.png

Cin Cin a tutti

Rye
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Here's the study:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/07/mice-shed-weight-when-they-can-t-smell-not-because-they-stop-eating

Looks like I am running in the rain this morning. <3 Wendy

Wow, that is fascinating. I personally don’t think CICO is the whole story (solely based on personal experiences and anecdotes I admit,) and am experimenting with intermittent fasting to try to help in my weight loss. I do have an exceptionally keen sense of smell which has only heightened in the past few years, my husband tells me.

So maybe we can blame the bakers- polluting our nasal cavities with delicious smells ;)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Math phobes feel free to skip this post....

KetoneKaren, my take on the math shortcuts.... as long as the shortcut helps to build number sense instead of just another thing to memorize, it should be helpful. The scientific notation shortcut usually involves moving the decimal point to the left or the right and adding or taking away zeros, right? If the child memorizes this without a sense for the size of the numbers involved, then it is easy to get confused and do it backwards. Just make sure he gets the idea of negative powers of ten representing really small numbers and positive powers of ten representing really big numbers. Then whether to go left or right, end up with a positive or negative power of ten, have a big number like 40,000 or a small number like 0.0004 will make sense to him.

My other take on teachers’ response to kids doing problems differently from the “strategy of the day” is that it is directly related to their personal confidence in being able to understand different strategies and their own number sense. The stronger their own understanding, the more likely they are to praise independent thinking and the way that works for that child.

Time for the gym. More later.

I want to be in your class.

:heart: Margaret