WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mary ~ I sent you a request! LOL Please check your profile page.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    We have men out front digging holes trying to locate a water pipe line. This is due to the subdivision of 60 new homes being built back of us. Then they are going to take the right of way to build a sidewalk along the driveway entrance to my house. We will lose our mail box and all of the cala lilies I have tended for years. Boo! :'(
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,431 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    We have men out front digging holes trying to locate a water pipe line. This is due to the subdivision of 60 new homes being built back of us. Then they are going to take the right of way to build a sidewalk along the driveway entrance to my house. We will lose our mail box and all of the cala lilies I have tended for years. Boo! :'(

Carol - sorry to hear this. Will the traffic increase in front of your house too?

Lanette
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    &&&&&&&&&&
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Machka, maybe you could help my daughter. She is taking a Java course but is struggling. Can you recommend a website that could help her to better understand? Thanks,

Becca, nice to hear you have a looney sister too. I only eat one egg on mine. I like the yolk runny so it mixes with the the mashed potatoes.
  • langman22
    Options
    Carol, how frustrating the have all your hard work on your flowers destroyed. Can you replant them somewhere else?
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options

Heading to the gym. I have formulated more of a plan for October which goes kind of like this: Replace sugary rewards with fruit, seeds and nuts (trail mix). Run every morning as soon as i wake up. Drink coconut/turmeric/cinnamon Lassie instead of coffees. Eat a raw salad every day. Lift weights three times a week no excuses.

<3 Wendy

Wendy I had to look up what a Lassi is - a yogurt drink made with spices - I learn something from this group every day!

Karen in Virginia

I might need a recipe for that.....

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Karen I use coconut milk instead of yoghurt in my Lassi, and I only use about two tablespoons, then add hot water, a couple dashes of cinnamon and a quarter tsp of turmeric. Mades a Golden Drink that is good for you and once you get used to the taste you can pretend it is a tropical island teaser...

So you add enough hot water to make a cup? I might have to try this.

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    DrKatie Yep, that's how I make it. I'm sure other people do things their own way but I find it quick and easy to boil the jug and make my hot tropical drink to replace my coffee addiction. I am going to try adding a bit of pineapple juice to it next time as I buy pineapple rings for my smoothies. I added a bit of pineapple juice to my oatmeal this morning and it was yum.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    B)<3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    have the window open and sitting in the chair in my room...waiting on the laundry.. turned it on an hour ago, and guess I didnt turn it on right :o so it just started a bit ago.. and then into the dryer...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    (((Terry)) I am on edge because all that is happening. The students where I worked today I could tell were upset too.

Carol sorry for all the work around your home. We have been living with road construction around here the past few months and that is nothing compared to what they are doing around you.

:heart: Margaret

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Mary Whew! I'm relieved. <3

Wendy The Lassi sounds simple! Do the turmeric and cinnamon dissolve well enough in the coconut milk/hot water mix? Do you use a blender?

I helped my grandson with his math homework after school tonight. Base ten raised to negative powers & Scientific Notation. I showed him some shortcuts to make it easier. Hope he doesn't get in trouble for using them. :#

Karen in Virginia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Heather – With small children and artwork you should never assume what their "scribble-scrabble" as my oldest son called it. You ‘always’ ask them to tell you about it; that opens up the conversation and you will find out more. One day I came home and hade drawn a picture all in black. My mother, bless her, asked for me to explain what the picture was – it was something like a house and the flowers and sunshine. She would say, ‘oh, now I see it; so why did you only use a black crayon? My answer to her was it was the ‘only’ one not broken and still had its cover. Even know, I get upset when my crayons get broken – tip or any portion of it. I’ll take my broken crayons and what I’ve done lately is take a rock that has been heated in the oven and melt it over it. Take another one and melt dots and stripes and stuff, they make for a lot of pretty colors. Then the extra will melt on the foil that I have covered the pan. After it is has cooled off enough I will take a knife and cut off what isn’t needed to keep it stable, that way they can be used as a paper holder, and you have in a built-in mat so that it would scratch your furniture. Then I go and hide them.

Karen in Virginia – I think we are glad that we decided to take Cracker to the Pet Spa when we went to Daytona Bch. We did not leave her crated when we took her out to Will’s house, so we did not want to do it while we were gone. After asking my son to water my plants, including my orchids. He came down and watered them maybe a day before we got home and ‘soaked’ my big Jade and big cactus. I was ‘so upset with him’. If we are gone for a short period of time, I will water all of them and hope they will be ‘ok’ … as for watering the flowers, plants, and orchids. I will call my neighbor – their neighbor on the other side because she will come over and let me show her how they needed to be watered. All I asked of him was to water the 2 or 3 times while we were gone to Will’s in August and he apparently watered them as I requested. I did expect to have at least one dead violet; I had 3. This time, rather than leave them in the porch, too hot … he soaked all of them. Now Louis has put them in the greenhouse and I will check on the ones that have some ‘green’ to them. I am sure hoping that cutting off the ‘rotted’ steam to the Jade plant and sticking it down into the soil will sprouts roots and grown.

I like having Cortana at the lower left-hand corner to my screen, so I can ‘look up what some say’ or ‘call things’

Yvonne in TX – Thanks I will ask about it. Today when I went to the PT, which was an experience. Patched both eyes, one open, one shut and then put on a special kind of computer that when he told me to look up and down and around, it showed how my eyes moved. I have no balance when I am standing still and my feet are together. Basically, he explained that the inner ear works like a gyroscope. If you move your eyes and don’t have balance, you will fall, I was ‘ok’ so I thought until I closed my eyes. He had to grab me a few times. I had forgotten about the seizure I had back last year when I had one at the bank. Today, I got the same woman to look up something for me and she asked how I was. I told her pretty good, and asked her what I did, all I could remember her asking me ‘if I was okay’ and couldn’t make sense and I stood up. She said, and then you went down. Bank loan officer knew I was having a seizure because he daughter had them and she knew what to do for me until the EMT’s got there. I don’t remember anything after pushing the chair back and standing up until the EMT was able to get me to ‘come around’. She said I was ‘out’ for nearly an hour and they could not understand what took them so long to get there; because there is an EMT office on the next block. Now, I guess why I can’t see some of my typos until after I got back and read them. I hope you understand what I am saying and understand that dropping my “r” on words like “you” when I mean ‘your’ … you will understand. I try to skim over what I have typed when I go to ‘bold’ the names.

I’m in the process of decluttering my bookshelves. I have a lot off them; but, I am sure I could take more down; but, at this moment I am glad that I got 30 books and 7 pictures off. Will donate my books to the library; not sure what I will do with the rest; but, have to decide soon, it is definitely in the way of doing the other portion.

Tomorrow I will try to clean up my CDs and DVDs. Dust as much as I can … don’t ever make the mistake of buy a corner TV cabinet. It takes 3 people to hook things up and someone to hold the TV as you pull it out as far as you can to dust under it. I’ll get Louis to help me with that. Need to get Trey to help, too.

My sister has taken a lot of things to the local auction house near them. All her silver-plate (which was something a lot of people gave brides during the 60’s and early 70’s. I’ve got a ‘box full’ and cannot think of any time I have used any of it.

Katla – I am very leery of a lot of things that are electronic. I’m at that age that I won’t do ‘online banking’ nor will I ‘pay my bills online’ I don’t give out any kind of personal information unless I ‘know’ who I am giving it to. I have taken my SSN off my checks and now they cannot ask for it.

Terry – I will talk to her to the vet tomorrow, she’s got to have her shots anyway. Tux has to go Friday or Saturday for his Rabies shot. Probably to check his allergies. Also got to keep an eye on the weather.

Carol – I’d be out there digging my own holes for my calla lilies. I’m sure they could not mind … or asking them to ‘turn’ over where they are planted and remove them from that spot to go somewhere else. I’d think they’d have to move your mailbox since they are the ones deciding to take it down. Three times while I was pregnant with Will (my youngest) I dug up flowers and shrubs around the front of my house so they could try to fix a water issue. We ended up having to sue him to get it right. He finally dug up around the entire foundation (underneath as well) to put in drain tiles. I would not have another ‘split level’ home because of that.

Becca and langman22 – I AM the ‘Loony sister’. But, that’s ok, I enjoy it and I try not to bother anybody with my loony-ness. For that my mantra is “I don’t suffer from mental illness; I enjoy EVERY MINUTE of it.

Lenora
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Kids have gone home, dinner made, house cleaned up; so I have a little time to chat. I met with a QIC (quality improvement counselor) for my daycare home. It is a benefit that is offered to us through our state's star rating program. It is a new program; it has it's pluses and minuses in consideration of the scale that they use to "rate" each provider. Anyway, I requested a meeting with her and she was very sweet, impressed with my childcare home and program and is working with me on compiling all of my trainings/classes over the past 22 years to get me an associates degree in child development! Yea! She gave me enough to think about to take my mind off our current financial troubles and start thinking about where I want to take this after the associates. So...that has been a great bit of optimism. My cup is filling!
    I also lost a pound this past week! Yea!
    My ankles and feet have been feeling better since I eased up on my "stroller" walks, am putting my feet up at night for a couple hours, and wearing compression bands on my ankles. OH! I got new shoes, too! So...I won't be running through airports with sore ankles! Woo-hoo!
    Katla- I am headed to Burleson; just south of the DFW area. Is Arrow yours? HE is beautiful! I love horses and between you, Wendy, and Sue, it is so nice to be able to look at them on here!
    Pip- What a great pic of Rocky, Bullwinkle, and Floyd! How long ago was that pic taken? Did you always have goldens in your life? I love me some Yogi, too! He looks like such a sweet boy!
    Heather- Sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
    To all of the savers of things- I used to be a collector and saver of things. Then a few years after the loss of my parents, I realized that the people I loved weren't in the things I was saving and I began to let go of things. My DH has flip flopped, however. He was always the "downsizer", but as we get older, he tends to want to keep EVERYTHING. Art stuff that the kids did when they were young, clothes that he is sure he will fit back into, stuff from his young adult hood and child hood. Oh well, we are our own check and balance team, I guess.
    To all of those with the blues- I agree, I have been weepier than normal this week. The LV shootings made my heart ache and made me angry all at the same time. But then, like many of you, the loss of Tom Petty made the tears flow. He was one of my favorites. My kids called to ask me how I was doing. It is odd how the loss of some one you didn't know on a personal level can affect you so deeply. But, musicians passing will always feel like a knife in my heart. When I think about my past, my life, it is set to music. Certain songs take you back to a moment. You know exactly where, who, what, you can even smell the cigarettes in the air or the salty sea air of that moment. Freddie Mercury, Pavarotti, and David Bowie's deaths will always bring a lump to my throat and I may not even be able to complete a sentence or talk for a minute. Such an integral part of life. There are a couple other artists that are getting up there in years and they will be taking another piece of my soul with them when they go. One of them...I am not sure if I would ever be able to stop crying. My kids know who he is and the importance of his music to me, so I am sure they will expect black curtains, photos covered, time pieces stopped, and a period of mourning. lol (drama queen?) But, he is still here; and because of that, my recurring dream of having coffee with him could still come true.
    Wendy- Hurrah for the queen bees! Truly, your beekeeping stories are so interesting! I have a couple extra days off when I get back from TX and I plan to go find me some propolis tincture.
    Karen VA- LOL! I quit helping my kids with their math when they were young. Where I live, they teach the kids many different ways to arrive at the answer; but they marked the kids wrong if the way they arrived at it, wasn't the way they were learning that day...IMO wrong. I am a firm believer in "once the kid finds a way that works for him- let him do it that way." My son had/has one of those crazy math brains where he doesn't need to write stuff down he just looks at the numbers and the answer is there. Yes, as math got harder, he did have to write stuff down, but he got in trouble a lot for not showing his work. Oh well, as a non-math person, I will always have gripe on that subject!
    Mary- safe travels back to the balmy midwest! Maybe it will be cooler by the time you get home. I am ready for some snow!

Oh well, better get a little more laundry done so I can go to bed with no worries. Next time I talk to you all, I will be back from TX! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    We will lose our mail box and all of the cala lilies I have tended for years. Boo! :'(

Get busy and transplant those babies!

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Becca and langman22 – I AM the ‘Loony sister’. But, that’s ok, I enjoy it and I try not to bother anybody with my loony-ness. For that my mantra is “I don’t suffer from mental illness; I enjoy EVERY MINUTE of it.

Lenora

Lenora, this is why I love you. I think everyone is a bit crazy in their own way, some have got labels stuck on them, or take meds to calm them down or pep them up, but you are okay with yourself, just the way you are. You accept yourself and are not afraid to be yourself. That is very refreshing! <3 Wendy

• redrose246
    redrose246 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, looking for a spot to fit in. I am almost at 40 pounds lost but it has taken over 4 years...some was lose before starting on MyFitnessPal.....started on my own then got brave enough to step on the scale after losing some....have 47.6 yet to go once 40 is reached. I have started using a padded, 5.5 pound hula hoop for exercise, am up to 30 minutes now...need to continue at least 6 days a week. Other exercise goal is to get to 5,000 or more steps per day. The hula hooping improvement in my body is amazing! I am starting to improve in so many areas from that exercise. Will be 60 soon, following a more low carb way of eating right now, still getting some berries and veggies everyday! I have to fight for every oz off as I am also low thyroid.
  • langman22
    Options
    Last post before I grab my book and settle in for my nightly read.

Erienge, welcome! You have come to the right place if you are looking for support (and some laughs). What name do you want to be called? Jump in anytime the mood strikes you. I loved that movie took.

Karen, I was always bad at math. Fortunately my ex was a math teacher and could help my daughter.

Kelly, sounds like you are feeling better. Happy to hear that your cup is filling.

Lenora, how scary for you that dizziness must be. I was thinking it could be something with your inner ear. Hope PT helps.

Margaret, if the world is scary for adults right now, I can't imagine what it is like for kids. What do parents tells their kids?

Allie, I smile when I think of you relaxing in your new home. I wish you many happy times there.

Well that's it for today.

Terry in VT