WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Question ladies. ... This is something I have done at restaurants. So you are busy socializing, having a good time, and there are things on your plate, you are nibbling on yet you shouldn't, but you don't want to take item home. (Wow way to make the longest sentence ever Becca!). Well what I do is make it not taste good. Maybe sprinkle pepper on it, or a packet of sugar! Is that weird or what?? Do you all do that sometimes?
    Becca

No.

If I'm going to eat in a restaurant, I check the menu ahead of time.

Some places list calories and so I go through the choices and put together a meal and log it in MFP.

Other places don't list calories, so I'll do searches for similar items on recipe sites, etc. where calories are listed and put together a meal and log it in MFP.

When I get there, if possible, one of the things I order is a plain garden salad, no dressing, to start. I don't like dressing on my salad anyway, and it helps fill me up a bit before I get into the rest of the meal.

I will have logged the salad when I pre-logged the meal ... and because I've prelogged everything I've ordered, I can eat everything I've ordered. :)

I will just add that here in Australia, the portion sizes in many places are rather small compared with what I used to get in Canada, and really small compared to what I've encountered in the US. Pub meals might be an exception to that, but we usually only go for pub meals when we travel.

Like @cityjaneLondon, I have rarely (if ever) seen anyone get a takeout box for leftovers here. It might have happened at the occasional pub, or possibly with pizza, but the meals are that small, if you can't finish it, you might as well just leave the little bits you can't finish.

Also, here, you have to order each course separately. In Canada, you'd order a pasta meal and it comes with a side salad and garlic bread, etc. ... here if you order a pasta meal, you get the pasta meal. If you want a side salad or garlic bread or any extras, you order them separately.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    RE: Washing hair

I wash my hair every other day during the week, and I try not to wash it on the weekend, so I guess I wash it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, more or less. Sometimes I can't stand it and wash it Sunday evening before I go to bed. I don't think I could go longer than three days.

I see the benefit of not washing every day, but I'm not sure I understand the benefit of going weeks without washing. My hair gets really flat and dull after two days. But everyone's hair is different. Mine is mostly crazy right now -- mostly straight with curly ringlets thrown in for I have no idea why. :lol: When I work out, the flat parts get flatter and the ringlets get tighter.

Yes, I'm with you. My hair is naturally wavy. When I wash it, it falls into nice waves, and if it is humid, I'll even get long ringlets. But the longer I leave it without washing, the straighter and flatter and duller and more difficult it gets. And not straighter like someone who has naturally straight hair or has used a straightener ... it's more like if you put your hair in a braid, and get it wet, then let it dry and release the braid ... straight as can be on top, weird zigzags here and there in the middle and straight on the bottom.

BTW - for those who don't know ... I have hip-length hair. :)

M in Oz

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    long awaited pictures
    First one is the little tv room,twin size sleeper sofa for DGD, second one is the patio, 3rd one is living room,4th once is the Bedroom.. just love it <3

Wonderful! So welcoming. And clean. Sometimes I hate living with men/boys. So messy.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Wendy – I have had thyroid problems since I was pregnant with my youngest son (39 years ago). During the last month and shortly after he was born, I would literally pull up a chair to the fridge and ‘graze’. My thyroid was working overtime and that made me hyperthyroid. In fact, when you realize that it (thyroid gland) is the thermostat for the entire body; it is like one at home that isn’t cooling or heating correctly. It needs to be checked out. If it is off, even by a little, or you have too much thyroid excreting into your body it would have the opposite effect and you'd feel like Hello-Kitty. Too little you feel like you are dragging through the day; too much you feel like you are working overtime and doing things in a frenzy. Usually, this is a slow but steady change and all of a sudden you feel like warmed over $*#T to put it mildly. One of the things all of us need to do, on a fairly regular basis at the age of 50+, is to ask your MD to run a ‘full panel’ (for thyroid). If you ask just to check your thyroid they are checking a few of the things; but not how those things are working together – T3 and T4. Make sure they do a ‘full panel on the thyroid’. It really makes a huge difference, especially if you are on other medications. It will sometimes affect how that other medication is absorbed into your body. Just keep that in mind for your next yearly physical, of if you feel draggy or revved up. Mine is checked 2x a year.

DJ – I am so tired of ‘any’ news … I am tired of my sister making broad statements that just aren’t true. I’m glad my sister (who was NOT able to vote because they were down in Miami when her DH had a stroke) blasted her, telling her that she was ‘wrong to clump an entire group of people as racist *(**)_((&&^^%^&*)(* Trump supporters. I have to laugh at some of the things she post on FB and the comments she gets back. One guy in her HS class has blasted her several times. I just don’t remark. Sometimes I wish they had the finger down icon.
    Hope you have a great beach trip.

Becca – I don’t think I could follow your plan of not washing my hair. I love the way the suds feel when I scrub my head when I take a shower. My hair gets oily too quickly. Over the weekend, I rarely wash my hair – because I am just too lazy. It gets wet when I get in the shower. I will wash it today because I have been working really hard at cleaning my house. I should be able to eat an elephant with the calories I have burned. But, I will just stick with a caramel apple. Worth every minute of it.

Chris – I hope you find something, too. I don’t know what went on with your job; but, when I got ‘outta’ there … I would definitely report them.

Janetr OKC – My mail order pharmacy is no longer doing automatic refills; so I need to call them to refill the meds I get from them BEFORE I run out. They had to do an over-ride so that I could get my cholesterol medication at K-Mart until it came it. When I called them and told them what was going on, they put it through immediately. Because I was told by pharmacist at K-Mart what it was going to cost for 60 pills; I could get 90 pills much cheaper going through them. A lot saved. Most of my other generic pills are even cheaper than the $20 co-pay I have to pay to get them through them, instead of K-Mart. I told my GYN, that he needs to call and find out ‘what a medication is going to cost BEFORE he Rx’s it for me’.

Rye – We’ve thought about heating bathroom floors; but, then I think of the times I have gone in there, taken off my gown or PJs and just laid on the floor (sick) … it feels so good. Wonder if you can turn them on or off. Louis runs a ‘space heater’ so he isn’t cold when he steps out.

Sharon – My DYS cannot ‘stand’ my DOS’s wife (because of her attitude towards DDnL#2). He said ‘if he never saw her again, it would be ok with him’. Mmmm, I only get to see him when we go out for his birthday. DDnL#2 has a screwy shared custody and it limits her when it comes to holidays. Year before last she told him that now that she has remarried; she would be keeping her over the holiday weekend so that they could come here – because she had not even had a chance to get to know her new cousins. Last year, they did not come. I invited them to come this year (through a text to DDnL#2). Neither my text to her or to my son have been answered. But, I know they probably won’t come. So, now I am having a bit of a ‘pity party’ because, again, I feel like I am being punished and it really isn’t my fault. But, then again, I have to ‘think’ about their feelings and ‘if’ DDnL#1 says something that is insensitive. So, I will just keep my mouth shut.

KJ – Thanks for sharing the pixs of Joaquin. He is ‘so’ cute! How long will he have to wear that helmet? Does he wear it 24/7? Who painted the Leprechaun on his helmet? Or is it a decal?

Katla – And to all of you who have deer ‘in town’. IF one jumps out in front of you TRY NOT TO SWERVE. You’re a lot ‘safer’ hitting them than running off the road and hitting anything hard and immobile. That has been instilled in me by husband and sons. Not too long ago, DH had one jump in front of us and he swerved just a little until he realized he was doing the wrong thing. I asked him, ‘oh, is that a swerve or what’? We did not even leave the road; but, it scared both of us.

Becca – The first thing I do when I get my meal at a restaurant is cut it in ½ and push it to the other side of the plate and each the remaining ½ then get a ‘to go box’. Restaurants are notorious for giving you way too much to eat. Of course, a few years ago, my DH would have cleaned his plate and be looking at what I had not eaten. Our eating habits have changed drastically since I’ve been on MFP. He usually eats his ‘big’ meal in the middle of the day; so I usually eat something that is about 550 calories; then I can pretty much stay within my CI count. I’m now on a once monthly routine; because I have just tapped out on money . I’ll try it for a couple of months and see how I am doing on my own. I will just buy the protein bars, which have become somewhat of an evening snack with my coffee.

Get them to bring you a ‘to go box’ when they bring the meal. You’re paying for it, so you should be able to have it as ‘leftovers’ the next day (or skip a day).

Allie – Maybe the Judge ought to find TomCat ‘in contempt’ and let him sit ‘in jail’ for a few days by not ‘setting bail’ for him to get out. What would be nice would be ‘if he had to sit over a weekend’ … with all the drunks and drug addicts. What a royal @$$!

You place is gorgeous and the colors are so relaxing. Mind if I make a couple of suggestions? Lower all your pictures … so that ‘if’ you (or anyone) is sitting in the room, all they have to do is look up at them with their eyes (not having to move their head). The bottom of the frame should not be more than 6” from the back of the couch or piece of furniture. The patio is great! I know you will enjoy it a lot.

Whatever that framed thing in the room on the 3rd picture – also needs to be lowered. IF it is a mirror … you should be able to stand ‘in front of it’ and see yourself with about the same amount of room around you … think of it as a ‘portrait’. In your bedroom, move the two pictures on the right and put them on the left-hand side and take the two on the left and put them on the right … so that the bird will be looking inward. You could also move them closer to one another. The birds looking outward, makes your eyes want to look away to see what they are looking at. Exchanging them and bringing them a bit closer together will draw your eyes inward. Let the ones on the outside be about 4” inside the bed frame. Just a suggestion … guess that is the ‘art student’ in me.

Felicia – I have done some heavy cleaning this week and besides the dust, I am getting rid of a lot of things. I told Louis that he needed to build another shelf like is in the corner where the FP to put his DVDs on. I bet I could take the ones I put up this afternoon (after dusting them off), I could fill it up again. WOW! Most of them we have already watched; some we never have. Going to compare the ones I have to the ones I have put on hold with Netflix. I did not realize I had Patch Adams and did not realize that I had actually found a copy of “Fried Green Tomatoes” (most of which was filmed in Juliette, GA … which is still a place with a lot of tourist coming through.

Louis just likes for the house to 'look neat' ... beds made, dishes put away; his biggest thing is 'put it back where you found it'. DOS and his entire family are slobs. I don't know where or when my son thought it was 'ok'; but, I do know that he washes his own clothes. DYS, on the other hand is a 'neat freak' ... when we go out and get ready to pack up to come home, he is sweeping the place out. This year I asked if we had 'overstayed' our welcome. He told me 'no, why'? I told him 'because you are sweeping and we haven't even stopped coming in-and-out with our 'stuff'.

Lenora
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Machka, hip length! I would not be able to handle all that hair. I say if I can shake my head and my hair moves It's time for a cut. I tell the girl who cuts my hair to cut it just this side of standing up. I have had it short for so long. My hair is thin and very straight. Only thing I don't like about it is how sparse it's getting. I'm hoping I don't lose any more. My DH loves it short and gray believe it or not.

Ok I'm off to bed. Terry
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

1st day of riding in the rain fun!!!

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.37min, 138mhr, 11.8amph. 1.4mi= 73c
    apple watch- 64c
    *manual* TREADMILL walk-jog- 50min, 121ahr, 154mhr, 14min mi, 15.59mi = 382c
    apple watch- 421c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.07min, 12.9amph, 124mhr, 1.4mi= 57c
    appple watch- 54c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 16.09min, 145mhr, 11.3amph, 3mi= 162c
    apple watch- 113c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.15min, 149mhr, 10.12min mi, .5mi= 75c
    apple watch- 59c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.40min, 10.05min mi, 150mhr, 56c
    apple watch-48c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.34min 8.2amph, 157mhr, 2.5mi = 195c
    apple watch-148c

total cal 1000
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,363 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Gin Miller's Simply Endurance DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the deep water class. Then the gal that I went to the meeting with yesterday and I are going to go to get Denise's gown steamed. While we're waiting, we'll just go over to the mall near there.

Linda - so glad you decided to post. Come back often. I don't think your strategy backfired at all. You didn't go to DD but instead played kitten games. Sounds like a win to me

Machka - when I first took the CPR class, you would give a breath and then tilt your head to the side to see if the person's chest was rising. Well, I did that out of habit this time and found that you no longer do that but just look to see if it's rising before giving the breath. You're so right, things have changed a lot. Now the course included a talk about naltrexone (never heard of it before!). Can you explain to me what the notifications are? Whenever I get a message that a site wants to send me notifications, I usually decline mainly because I don't know exactly what they'd be notifying me of.

Sharon - it's so good to hear someone else's problems about a wedding. How I can relate!!!

KJ love Joaquin's smile. What a sweetie! Thanks for sharing

Heather - great job not putting on any weight

Terry in VT - you have no idea how much running back and forth I did. I swear, it was pretty cool but I was sweating! People were able to tour the governor's house, but I never got a chance to.

When I get hot, I open the freezer door and get some frozen grapes. That opened freezer door sure feels good.

Got rid of those iced sugar cookies (gave them to the soup kitchen) then volunteered at the Green Room. Not sure when Steve is planning to leave today. I need to go back to the Green Room tonight

katla - that is very nice of you to spend extra time with Arrow. I'm sure you won't mind it, and it's a real relief to his owner

Rita - so glad you checked in. Hope you had a great trip. How long will you be in NM?

Steve asked if he could stay another night. I told him I need to go to the Green Room tonight, then tomorrow a.m. I go to the Y and then to David's Bridal. He's OK with that. Like I said, I really think he's just lonely.

Rita - lovely pics. thanks for sharing. Love Brownie and the roadrunner

M - one of the things that really impressed me about Europe was that there was such small portions. Not real small but just enough. Wish the US was more like that.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Machka - when I first took the CPR class, you would give a breath and then tilt your head to the side to see if the person's chest was rising. Well, I did that out of habit this time and found that you no longer do that but just look to see if it's rising before giving the breath. You're so right, things have changed a lot. Now the course included a talk about naltrexone (never heard of it before!). Can you explain to me what the notifications are? Whenever I get a message that a site wants to send me notifications, I usually decline mainly because I don't know exactly what they'd be notifying me of.

What sites are sending you notifications?

And where are you seeing these notifications?

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Rita My daughter's nephew and his wife and 3 little ones live in Carlsbad. My daughter is in Ruidoso right now. I love that area of New Mecivo. I'm so glad things are going well. :)

Janetr okc
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,363 Member
    Options
    janetr - my friend lives in Ruidoso! I didn't know anyone else ever heard of it.

M - I'll try to keep track of sites that ask for notifications. Honestly, I really never paid too much attention, I always click on "block". But I will be more conscious

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    M - I'll try to keep track of sites that ask for notifications. Honestly, I really never paid too much attention, I always click on "block". But I will be more conscious

Michele in NC

I wasn't sure whether you meant the little notifications here on the MFP forum ... when you've "starred" a thread, you get little notifications when someone has posted to it.

Or whether you meant notifications like a pop-up that says, "You've got 13 new messages" all in flashing light and bright colours.

Or ... ???

M in Oz

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – One of the things that having ‘notifications’ ON is that every time someone posts, whether it is FB or MFP or any other site, your phone would be ‘dinging all the time’. One reason I turned mine off. Won’t turn them on either. It’s hard enough to make sure I hit the ‘white’ area when I am checking Google or another search engine and not to microphone to the right … otherwise the ‘sucker’ will ‘talk to you’. Found that out the hard way; then BF told me about it and why it would be good … your phone will know where you are and it will find you if you get lost and give you directions on how to get out of there. I’m not sure I understand it all; but, I am totally technology-challenged.

Michele and Sharon – My Daddy offered to put up a new ladder to our bedroom windows and give us what the wedding would have cost. Of course, he would not ever do that because he enjoyed the ‘pomp and circumstances’. Show OFF!

Maybe you answered this before and I skimmed over it; but, who is Steve?

M in Oz – If I get all that color and flashing lights kind of notifications … I turn the phone OFF … it is spam or scam, trying to ‘sell you something’. The worst thing you can ever do is ‘click “OK” on a site’. If it tells you to ‘click’ to unsubscribe, just put it in your junk mail by blocking it. If you ‘opt-out’ or ‘un-subscribe’, they will sell you email address to 10 others. I got a site that kept popping up on my email and if I forwarded it, it was pornographic and a friend of mine had the good graces to ask me about it. I was ‘mortified’. So I called my ISP and told them about it. They said that someone must have gotten to my password (hacking); about that time, the sparkly screen popped up and I told her ‘there it goes’ again. She blocked it from their end; and, I ended up changing my email address AND password. So far, and it has been several years ago, haven’t had that occur. Then occasionally I will just have to take it to Verizon and get them to take off what I don’t need. But, then they tell you to ‘update’ all updates whether you use the app or not; because if you don’t something that you do use might not work because of the change. Sounds like BS to me. But, as long as my phone will do for me what I want it to, that is all that matters.

Lenora
  • janetr7476
    Options
    janetr - my friend lives in Ruidoso! I didn't know anyone else ever heard of it.

Michele in NC

Oh yes, its beautiful. Jack and I like to take the motor home and go about the middle of September. The RV park we stay at closes Oct. 1 or so, there will usually only be one or two other RVs there. We love it.

My daughter is there with a couple of friends, they're having a "girl's get a way" :)

Janetr okc

• janetr7476
    Options
    M in Oz your hair is gorgeous. <3

Janetr okc
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well my post is out in cyber land. Here I go again

Sharon, I think the main reason they ask about employment is at if you aren't currently working, then you can't ask for disability. Disability is showing that you are having problems working and asking to be qualified as disabled. When I filed, I think I must have made like 6 copies of every paper. And I didn't need. It one for me and the other for the disability. I went through the three denials and en court before I got mine. My sister didn't use a lawyer, applied once and was granted! Why????? Good luck. It is something people need yet when they see that piece of paper by the government t saying you are permanently didabled, it hits you hard. I don't know the percentage of your pay you get in Canada but mine was about 40% of my salary. I went from my salary which of course is 100% to 60% for short term disability to 40% for SSD. Nobody wants that.

Jaukeem isn't so cute! Don't you just love children's museums. Is his helmet still helping?

Welcome back Rita.

Has anyone been following the current Jeopordy? It was so sad to see Austin leave today but I thought he was genuinely happy to leave. I hope he does well in the Tournament of Champions.

Night night, Joyce, Indiana
  • Machka9
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Has anyone been following the current Jeopordy? It was so sad to see Austin leave today but I thought he was genuinely happy to leave. I hope he does well in the Tournament of Champions.

I haven't watched Jeopardy since I left Canada 8 years ago ... and not much before that either. The last time I watched Jeopardy with any regularity was probably in the late 1980s or maybe early 1990s. Same with Wheel of Fortune.

• Machka9
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Janetr okc

Thanks! :)

I keep thinking that maybe one day I'll cut it short ......... but I just don't like that idea, yet. :)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Janetr okc

Thanks! :)

I keep thinking that maybe one day I'll cut it short ......... but I just don't like that idea, yet. :)

As long as you like it and its as gorgeous and healthy looking as it is, enjoy it. :)

Janetr okc