Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just catching up with you in my favourite department store in Oxford Street.
    Yes. Duolingo. I revised my Spanish, learnt Norwegian, then German and now I am learning Swedish for next summer. I am 37% fluent at the moment. (don't think so) :open_mouth:
    Many good wishes to all the sick and recovering husbands and hugs for the headaches etc. :'(<3
    I'm going to set off for the train soon and get sushi to eat on the journey. I probably won't be able to sit down for a few stops as it's the rush hour.
    Heather UK XXXXXX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: Lovely photos of fog rising from the water. :star:

Lanette: I'm glad the apple cider vinegar & honey was effective at stopping your acid reflux. Yay!!! :flowerforyou:

Rori: I'm so happy that you were able to contact Kim. Thank you for the good news that she's okay. :smiley:

I woke up sore everywhere. It is almost time for yoga and I need to take my aching body there to stretch it out.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Karen ~ Love the photo of the fog on the water. So peaceful!

Terry ~ Your arrangement is beautiful.

Becca ~ Glad your husband is back home to protect you from those nasty spiders.

Felicia ~ Congrats on the skinny pants.

We are having someone come in a few minutes to show us floor samples and give an estimate. Hope it works out OK.

Carol in GA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    ++++++++++++++
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Joyce ... yes I'm the one with the older son who is disabled, the younger son with chronic migraines, the husband with back issues, the mom who had uterine cancer in February, and the dad who has the bowel issues now ....

Drkatiebug ... that sounds very scary ... glad you went to the ER and everything is ok .. hope the migraine leaves you soon.

Becca ... life does not follow a linear path, that's for certain ... praying your husband's health situation will allow you to eventually be with your son.

Brought my dad home from the hospital at 7:00 last night and then he was complaining of pain again by 9:00 ... we decided to wait it out. They gave him a huge amount of food yesterday after 5 days of nothing??? I thought it might be food moving through his system/gas. Today he doesn't have pain, but I'm still here watching.

Beth in Cleveland who is usually much closer to Buffalo ...
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Hello all. Just a quickie...grandson was born yesterday sometime...Huddsen, 7 pounds, 5 ounces and that's all I know for now. Take care, Meg

Congratulations!!

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Spiders I actually almost died as a toddler from a brown recluse spider bite, I am told. I believe it because the scarring - a deep dimple where the spider bit me and cell necrosis set in is still visible on my stomach. Curiously, I don’t actually mind spiders much. I try to trap them in cardboard and set them outside if at all possible.

My cats cornered a mouse a few months ago. I thought I hated mice, but I think this poor soul had cardiac arrest from the encounter. None of my three domesticated kitties could (or wanted to) perform the neck breaking death clamp and the poor critter was seemingly frozen in fear as they all played with him. I eventually was able to capture him in a cardboard box and bring him outside. His whiskers and ears were moving so I know he was alive, but he was so still. I THOUGHT I hated mice, but now I realize I’m just a softie. I still occasionally think of him with worry. Lol, I know, I’m ridiculous.

My cats favourite living toys are geckos. They are plentiful in my area, and a few end up in the house each year. I have a big soft spot for reptiles (snakes, iguanas, geckos ...) so I try to rescue these poor critters too. I think the geckos are such magnificent creatures, I could watch one for hours.

Actually, the only pests I will kill are anything in the cockroach family and mosquitoes. My soft side does not extend to them.

Charlie with the poor mouse in the house.

r2ftpp3xbhzh.png

——————
    Wishing all the fine ladies here a happy and healthy day!

Rye
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Machka thanks for the Duolingo link. I haven't stumbled across that site so look forward to checking it out.

Terry
    about fasting-there are a lot of 'urban myths' that are passed around: things like you will lose all your muscle and your metabolism will slow down and you will gain it all back and more...but fasting has been used for many, many years as a cure for disease of all types and now studies are showing that it actually increases your lifespan (didn't work for Jesus!) and gives your body a rest from digesting so that your liver can process and remove toxins and diseased cells that it has put in temporary storage. Most books I've read about anti-aging recommend regular fasting if you want to retain your youth and health. It is a great way to drop weight fast (pun intended) but you need to keep in mind that when you start eating again, you will naturally go up a pound or two just from having food in your stomach.

The problem with most books that tell you to fast, is they don't really tell you HOW to 'not eat' when you really, really WANT to. LOL I have found that the best thing for me is to use distractions and stay busy...not hard in my lifestyle. I also allow myself plenty to drink during my fasts which is at least some satisfaction to my stomach. What do you do, RYE?

I don't know, for those of you with low blood sugar, what the rules for fasting are. You would need to talk to an educated doctor who had supervised fasts for diabetics, like Dr. Jason Fung. I'm sure your blood would need to be monitored during the fast and sugar given if needed. Obviously, fasting may not be for everyone but I use it as one of my important tools to achieve my goals of staying, young, healthy and slender.

Congrats on the new baby, MEg I love that name Huddsen!

I have got my daughter and grandkids coming to stay at the farm today and I must go get the guest room tidy and beds made up, then I have to move my horses to fresh paddocks and I plan to also do a home gym workout this morning, so gotta dash. I am planning to fast today, and I will let you know if I am successful!
    <3 Wendy
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

r2ftpp3xbhzh.png

Rye

:scream:

I needed a "the following image may be disturbing to some viewers."

:anguished:

Felicia, almost lost my cookies, if I could eat cookies
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• ryenday
    Options
    Wendy the 5:2 fast is not a true fast ( tho they believe it may confer many of the same benefits). On a ‘fast’ day I consume 500 calories. A good deal of that is protein and the carbs are restricted to nutrient rich veggies ( no starches or fruits on fast day). The other five days I eat pretty normally actually.

How do I manage? For me it is much easier to manage that than a 24/7 1200ish calorie diet. Because I just tell myself not today, Rye, but you can have it tomorrow if you want it. Because I have 1600 calories on the other five days it is easy to allow myself whatever I had to deny myself on the two fast days. My weekly calories have been virtually identical to the 1200 a day calorie restricted diet but for me it is so much easier and more sustainable and satisfying. The early results are promising too, in 2 weeks I lost as much as I did most months - 2 pounds.

Many say it (intermittent fasting) is just the same as a regular caloric restriction diet, but my body is responding very differently, much better in all measurable ways I can think of. I’m cautiously optimistic- and I’m a die-hard realist who almost never ventures into optimism- so that is saying something.

Good luck with your fast today, Wendy. If 5:2 continues to go well for me I’m going to likely try a real 24-36 hour fast.

Rye
  • ryenday
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

r2ftpp3xbhzh.png

Rye

:scream:

I needed a "the following image may be disturbing to some viewers."

:anguished:

Felicia, almost lost my cookies, if I could eat cookies
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

Oh, dear, I’m sorry! The mouse lived. I rescued him and relocated him to the great outdoors where I hope he thrives.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    B)
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Just noticed you can actually see three of my cats in that picture. LOL Crazy cat woman strikes again..

Just wanted to add that I always take my multi vitamins and supplements and hormones during my fasts as there is no way that I want any harm to come to my body or bones or health.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penny: My house if full of Halloween candy and so am I. :embarassed:

(((Beth))) You are a busy woman with an overflowing plate. I hope that you'll find a little time for rest. :flowerforyou:

Meg: Congrats on the new grandson! :heart:

Wendy: Fasting didn't work for Jesus because he was murdered for speaking out and sharing his truth. :grumble: You look good with blond hair. :smiley:

I'm home from yoga and DH is at the dentist getting a crown on one of his molars. My knitting project is done until the next yarn arrives, so I plan to sit and reread one of my favorite books written by Linda Lael Miller.

Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."