WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yeah me! Guess I just figured out the answer to my question. Who says you have can't teach an old dog new tricks!

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    langman22 wrote: »
    Ok 1 more post.

Can someone tell me how to post where the person's post shows up at the top of my post? There are times I'd like to respond to a specific post but I don't know how to make the post I'm responding to show at the top.

I'm probably not very clear so if you understand what I'm asking and can help that would be great.

Thanks, Terry

Terry, at the bottom of their post you have the option of "Quote. Click on that and their post will be in the reply box and you can edit out as much of their post as you want but make sure it is within their
    and don't write anything in that area. Make sure to write below the body of their [/quote] [/quote]

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you figured it out :D
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    stats for the day

DAMN IT WAS WINDY!!!!

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.47min, 144mhr, 11.5amph. 1.4mi= 77c
    apple watch- 68c
    *new* HELIX Machine- 30min, 138mhr, 181rpm, 2.86mi = 215c
    apple watch- 200c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.31min, 13.6amph, 132mhr, 1.4mi= 54c
    appple watch- 43c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 16.34min, 151mhr, 11.1amph, 3mi= 163c
    apple watch- 112c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.02min, 151mhr, 9.49min mi, .5mi= 61c
    apple watch- 55c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.21min, 10.29min mi, WINDY!! 150mhr, .5mi = 70c
    apple watch- 58c
    ride dome 2 hm- 22.09min, ,157mhr, 6.9amph, 24mph WINDS!!!, 2.5mi = 224c!
    apple watch- 174c

TOTAL cal 864
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Yeah me! Guess I just figured out the answer to my question. Who says you have can't teach an old dog new tricks!

It’s a lie perpetuated by lazy old dogs who just want to be left alone. (Grin)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka[/b] - I was wondering the fate of your tooth. Have fun with the Spanish - and the duolingo link. I'll share it with DH and he can entertain himself with it. He's picked up a lot of pidgin Spanish over the years. Do you think you'd like moving back to Canada? Oh, and thanks for the info about the GI transit time test. If I end up at the gastroenterologist I bet they'll run me through it.

November 6 is that tooth's last day.

Unfortunately we suspect what happened was this ... I have exceptionally long teeth. 9 times out of 10 when they do an X-ray, they don't get the whole tooth, and I'm pretty sure that my previous dentist X-rayed, got part of the tooth, and figured it was good enough. So the root canal was only done about 2/3 of the way down. My new dentist managed to get the whole tooth in the X-ray (it takes some doing!), and discovered that the root canal was only partially done ... and also discovered infection in the bottom part of the tooth and way down below the tooth in what would be my jaw. We suspect I've had a mild infection in there for the past year, but as the tooth has started cracking and falling apart, the infection has become worse.

Before the extraction on November 6, I need to have a full mouth/jaw X-ray done at a radiology lab so that the dental team knows what they are working with, simply because that tooth is so long.

We would like to move to Canada at some point ... in fact, that's our retirement plan. Most of my family live in British Columbia, so that's where we'd like to end up. I don't know that I could return to the prairies. 40 years of those winters was enough for me!! But BC would be all right, and it would be nice to be close to family again, and there are things I miss about Canada.

Fortunately, however, we do both like both Canada and Australia, so staying here for a while longer is all right. :)

BTW - I also find that lemon-ginger tea or even ginger tablets help settle things for me if I'm feeling a bit upset. I'll have a cup or two of the tea before bed, and that usually soothes things so that I can sleep comfortably. So that might be another option to try as well.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Hi all, just catching up with you in my favourite department store in Oxford Street.
    Yes. Duolingo. I revised my Spanish, learnt Norwegian, then German and now I am learning Swedish for next summer. I am 37% fluent at the moment. (don't think so) :open_mouth:
    Many good wishes to all the sick and recovering husbands and hugs for the headaches etc. :'(<3
    I'm going to set off for the train soon and get sushi to eat on the journey. I probably won't be able to sit down for a few stops as it's the rush hour.
    Heather UK XXXXXX

Our instructor went through the first lesson with us, just to show us what it was all about ... and apparently we're all 3% fluent in Spanish now. :grin:

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    I was a special ed and support teacher the last three days. The boy who was having issues with his water bottle the other day today had issues with his clip board. He escalated to a bad place over a clip board. His stool that he sits on ended up in time out because he rolled that across the floor in his anger. I loved what his teacher said to him. You let the clip board have too much power. This can be said of so many things and sometimes people too. You might be able to tell she is one of my favorite teachers. I did end up picking up the clip board only because it was a safety issue. ( Some one could slip or trip on it) When his teacher myself, and he talked I asked whose job was it to pick it up. He admitted it was his. Baby steps. I say my prayers for this students because as another teacher put it so well he is a tortured soul. So sad for a second grader.

The rest of my days were great. I really enjoyed helping the other students. I played games with them when I could and we always started with some kind of exercise video to warm up their brains. Many of them worked on crossing the mid line. Those of you who have grandchildren anytime you can engage your grandchild to do activities that have them cross the mid line of their bodies helps develop their brain. Example patty cake. Another reason why crawling is so important. The action doesn't cross the mid line but they do have to coordinate their movements great for brains.

I did walk with the student who was having a hard time. I found a chair he could spin around and that helped to settle him.

:heart: Margaret

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Your cancer friend is lucky to have you to share ideas and concerns with. I'm not sure whether that makes you lucky too, but I know it makes you a VERY good friend to her. She's lucky to have your friendship. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I think you are lucky to be able to work back in your school part of the time. When I retired from teaching I had the option to sub at my old school. I declined because of the very long and nasty commute. I regret not having had the opportunity to spend time with friends and colleagues, but I made the best choice I could and I'm happy with it. :smiley:

DH is done with dental work for now and starting to feel human again. Yay! I had a homeowners officers meeting this evening and was told that the out going president made some corrections in my meeting minutes. So far I can't find the email message with his corrections. I'll try again in a few minutes.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Went to water aerobics today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Cathe Friedrich's Lower Body DVD.

Becca - (((HUGS))). Please keep us informed what will happen.

Rori - thanks so much for the update about Kim. I'm glad she's safe. Been thinking about her a lot. My husband loves "My Cat from Hell". It seems that most of the time Jackson Galaxy isn't training the cats so much as the owners.

Allie - so glad you didn't cook for Tom

I called around about getting a mani/pedi for the wedding. The prices seem to be the same at most places. So I decided I'd go with the place closest to where I live. I just went there and they did each finger (only one hand) with different shades of silver. I'm tending to lean towards the light silver and then a coating of this sparkly silver. The other option would be dark silver with a coating of sparkly on top. Since my dress is dark silver, I'm thinking that dark nailpolish (even with the sparkly) might be too much dark. Update: I decided I did NOT like the dark so I even took it off.

Lanette - so glad you got some relief with the ACV

Meg - congratulations on the birth

I remember one time when 2 of our cats made a sort-of ring with their front paws and had this mouse in the "ring". They would bat it back and forth until the mouse died. Then they walked away...lol

Wendy - love the blond hair. Well, love the dark hair, too. You look great both ways

KJ - so happy you got the network. Sounds real great to have

Terry - beautiful pics.

Beth - I am expecting anything BUT a trouble-free wedding. Then again, what more can Maria do? She already has everything the way she wants it.

We had two dance lessons today. Vince's back was hurting him (sometimes I think he makes more out of it than there is) so he didn't go to ceramics. I did. then went to Publix to get two things. A friend called and asked if I could take her to get her colonoscopy next Tuesday. I told her I would. Tomorrow I volunteer at the green Room, then get my hair colored, then at night we have Newcomer bowling.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wendy, you have some great abs there! Love the blonde hair also. I wish I had the courage to do,something with my hair. I would love to have it tinted like my tortie cat but my hairdresser said to have that done by a good hairdresser it would cost upwards to $400. Yikes! Michelle has offered to go with me to Walmart and we find the right color and I just color my hair. She does it all the time.

Lenora, have you got your new windows put in yet?

Meg, I would say congrats but but is this the daughter who has no sense of responsibility?

Rye, you are my sister I never knew I had! I love all creepy things also. I guess we got it from my parents but it skipped my sister. She can tolerate a cat for a short time but that is it. The summer my daughter worked in a pet store we had probably 20 different creepy crawly things in our house. Each employee was to be an expert on one animal and flying squirrel was hers. Plus our commnity knew at the pet store had an unwritten policynthat if there were any injured animal and a vet couldn't take it in or fix it, bring it to Harps pet store and an employee would take it home. A lawnmower a cider when Dad mowed over a bunny nest and killed the Mom, bring the babies in. We had several litters of those, robins wh would fall out of their nest and ignored by momma bird, domesticated bunnies that some one didn't want, all sorts of sugar gliders. When she sold a sugar glider she would ask them if they wanted her to hand train them. We had a sheltie at the time and he loved the rabbits. We had a pin in the kitchen and he loved herding them to try to keep them in their place! We also had a lot of chewed cords. Oh, Michelle had snakes so we had those also, and a cockatiel. The pet store would set up petting zoos for birthday parties, etc and she would take their animals and then we would bring several of our own. Made quite a show.

Lanette, you asked me how Christina got her job. I'm going to get a little religious here. I do believe that God takes care of His children who are faithful. And you won't find another couple better than then in being faithful with their time and offerings. She has been able to have the most interesting jobs. Her last one was inside a cave! It was a business that scanned and stored books, records, etc for businesses . They shared a cave with a natural spring that bottles its spring water. Any of the employees in the cave that wanted it could get all they wanted for free. And there was a lot of extra space in the cave and it was rented out for long term storage of RVS, cars, etc. she has done property management a lot. Never any previous experience with it, book keeping, management or anything. She picked up the Spamish she needed on her own, did all the book keeping, hiring and firing, evictions and collections, went to court. You name it she did it. After the cave job was over, she needed another job. She is in a church that if a person has a need, some one steps up. If you need a car for a weekend, some one who doesn't work on the weekend will let you use theirs. House is flooded, don't worry, we only use our top floor, you use our whole basement. So she let the church know she needed a job. This guy called her up and said he was it junking of hiring a personal assistant, what he was invisioning at the time isn't at all what it is now because he didn't know what all she would bring to the table. She has now had t hire her own persona assistant.

It's the same with her husband. He has a masters in divinity and communications but his desire was to help churches set up their video tech department. He started out writing books of which he would sell for $10 and is think his Mom was the only one who bought any!mhe ended up giving a bunch away because he ought if he gave them to people that they would know his name and knowledge and want to buy from him. It worked. He now has twice a week video blogs that has a lot of subscribers to. He has set up personal video sessions with people from all over the world. He teaches all day work shops, writes in church tech magazines. His side job is working wi a company that sets up and does conferences at hotels. Probably like the Moose conference that, oh who was it that went????? He also goes to the Kentucky derby and will video tape an owners horse so they can have it for studying. God just takes care of my daughter and hubby,

Night, night, Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Joyce - Isn't it wonderful when people can turn their minds to any kind of job and make a success of it. :D My younger son, in Hove, is like that. Any company is lucky to have him. Unfortunately my elder son, with the anxiety, is still having problems finding regular design work. He's been told a contract is on the way for a job, but it's been over a year since he resigned through being bullied at his last place. (He got three months pay - not much) I am pleased that, at the moment he is doing a warehouse job, just so he's not on benefits, and to get him out of the house, but he says it's "horrible". Better than nothing though. He is a talented, experienced, industrial designer, but that isn't enough in today's world. You have to look the part and walk and talk it. He's not so good at that bit. :'(:'(<3<3
    Christina sounds amazing! I'd employ her!

Slept well after my London escapade. Now to take DH a cup of tea. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Beth - Prayers for you and your family.

Becca -Praying for you and yours also.

Heather - My friends that have been to Montreal say end of Sept/beginning of October are the best times. My DDIL says any time as it is always beautiful. She prefers Old Quebec City.

Meg - Yesterday/last night was full of wind and fire. 130+km/hr. Fires across Southern Alberta and we were very worried for my niece and family in Saskatchewan. It was one crazy night. Fire in the Crowsnest Pass is still going and the highway is still closed so no going from Alberta to British Columbia or vice versa.

Lanette - I had a test done that told the doctors that my gut emptied at about half the normal speed. I took Metonia to get it going and still have to occasionally.

Wendy- Where exactly is Vanuatu?

Machka - My daughter is using duolingo to learn Spanish. I know Heather has used it to brush up on a number of languages. I love learning languages although I'm notoriously slow at it. Still working on Italian.

Joyce - #Me too is also on Facebook which is where I posted.

Drkatiebug - That must have been so scary for you . I'm glad it resolved quickly. Good thinking to call 911 and not just ignore the situation.

Lisa - I'm okay. Bringing my brother into the circle, the winds, the fires all contributed to me being exhausted last night.

Meg - Congratulations, Grandma! Waiting on photos of Huddsen.

Allie - thanks for your support. I am watching you become a butterfly with great interest.

thanks for all who have expressed their concern and support. I am making my plans and proceeding with great caution as advised. It is really difficult to hold my tongue in check.

Yesterday was busy as I gave my granddaughter a ride to kindergarten because I didn't want her to blow away. I then met with my oldest brother away from either of our houses. He has always been there for me/with me. He was not surprised by much of what I had to say. I had considered not bringing him into the circle because he already has enough stress with his Wegeners. In the end he is the person that has known me all my life and I would trust him with anything.

Last night as I said was full of fire and worry. This morning all are safe. I have no relatives/friends living in the Pass. I am worried and sad for those people and I hope that the situation is under control soon. quite a few of the fires were caused when the hurricane force winds downed power poles which started the grass fires. One of the fires was started by sparks from a train. It is so dry here.

Today was crazy in the store. Last night one of the doors blew off. These new doors are really not very good for this high wind area. The guy came and fixed it but I'm sure it will blow off in the next wind storm. Understaffed with a great sale makes for some stressed associates. People are rude and crazy.

I took my Harmony to dance lessons and her Mom to a job interview. I left the house at 7;45 a.m and returned at 8 p.m. So glad that I have Thursday off and then Friday I go to work for 6 a.m. I think these long days and weird schedules are not helping my health or my weight.

I deposited our energy rebate? cheque in our joint account and then withdrew the same amount to use for groceries this week. Larry blew a gasket because the cheque was in his name. It was for $80. Now that he has mobile banking he constantly checks our account. He asked me to close out my own bank account and put everything in the joint account. I will not do that. I have had that bank account since I was 12 years old. Not losing it now. Weirding me out that after all these years he asked me to do this or has he asked before? The timing seems suspect. At a time when I am scraping and scrounging to put extra money away he asks me to close my bank account. He also told me he wanted to see a statement from my deferred profit sharing plan. He's never asked before and I have volunteered to show him. But now? On a bright note I did win $100 on a scratchy. No, I am not telling him or sharing those winnings.

Sharon in Lethbridge (feeling very unsettled)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    margaret "Dont let the clipboard have so much power" wow, i'll be thinking about what has so much power over me all day...sounds like a great teacher. (and so do you) Thank goodness there are people like her and you that have come into this boys life.

Lisa you are so right, somehow it all gets done whether you worry about it or not, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Looking forward to a wonderful professional development day, but it does start with a 2 hour drive to get there, so packing up the car with healthy snacks and coffee. Lunch is on them, I'm sure there will be salad but I'm packing veggies to snack on with hummus in case it is a horrible sandwich type buffet. Clearly I cannot eat white bread, pastas,I tried some pasta last week and broke out into a terrible rash, they call it a gluten rash, it's the pits!! So I am sticking with no wheat, rye, barley and waiting for it to clear up.

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Options
    Tom had my paycheck for most of our marriage, because he took care of all bills,I got a whopping 20.00 a week spending money ,anything else I had to ask for...

I can't imagine living that way.

Neither my first husband nor my current husband did that to me ... it would not have been tolerated!!