WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi Sisters, my fast yesterday went well. I had my daughter here and she brought my favourite cookies, chocolate mint and I had one, as well as half a glass of wine and a handful of sunflower seeds. Also I have a banana in my daily smoothy that I take my supplements with, as I choke if I try to take pills with water. So, I had a few naughties, but under the 500 cals so I forgave myself. LOL Anyway, the scales showed a good drop to 126.8 which is darn close to the 125 I am aiming for. I know that is my "empty stomach" weight and will go up when I've got three square meals inside, so really I need to drop to 123 if I want to be at 125 after eating. If I could fast another couple of days I could achieve that, but I think I will eat for a few days before doing another fast day. I have to do office work today as well as bee work and I don't think I will make it through mentally unless I re-feed.

Machka I had my first play on Duolingo. It was fun! I can translate written better than understanding spoken.

Sharon Vanuatu is a cluster of islands in the South Pacific Ocean. I think there are 65 little islands that are inhabited. It is east of New Guinea, South of the Solomon Islands and West of Fiji. Should take us about three and a half hours to fly there from New Zealand. We are going to the main isle to stay at Port Vila. I feel like Pippi Longstocking! As for your money, I believe that every woman should have an "escape fund" that is secret. I have my own account as well so I can decide where my money is spent (usually on animal food-lol)

Lenora I've just read a Dr. Mercola article on abs. It says we all have abs but we just can't see them under our fat layers and that sit ups are nearly useless. LOL Dr. Mercola recommends doing sprint repeats to activate your HGH (human growth hormone) and to do push ups while pulling your belly button in. And he says that it is mostly diet and getting down to a low fat percentage on your body that will reveal the ab muscles that we all possess.

Terry I am enjoying the fall colours photos. I have maples in my garden (its spring here) and their fresh colours are so amazing. I just love trees. I plant them whenever I can. I've left a trail of trees behind me, on all the properties we've owned. I am also addicted to forests. The highlight of my week is when I take my dog and go for a long run at the forest. I do believe those trees are somehow healing to me. I hope you can find a way to exercise that is wonderful and not a chore/bore for you. There are so many things to choose from: walking, biking, hiking, horse riding, swimming, dancing, tennis, and you can watch a dvd at home, or a youtube video, or meet a friend to exercise together. I like to look at gardens, so I take my dogs for walks in different parts of town to see what is in bloom. And I find that I can make exercise more interesting and educational by listening to books that I've downloaded on my phone. You can actually do this for the cost of a library card. There is a system now that allows you to borrow books, download an app on your phone and listen to them on the go. Modern technology can be amazing! Exercise keeps me happy. Fasting keeps me slim. LOL I don't lose weight from exercising. I can easily gain weight even after a two hour run! But exercise does lots of other things like keeps your body strong and healthy and actually gives you energy. If I don't exercise, I don't have the energy to get all my jobs accomplished.

That said, I better get moving as there is a lot to get done today, <3 to you all, Courage, Faith and Wisdom, Wendy

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Terry - October is great for Spain, if you aren't there for the beaches. Last year I was far too hot in Cordoba in October. B) In Madrid a few years ago it was t shirts in the evening. :):)
    We often go to Europe in early October because of both our birthdays.

I am passionate about talking about end of life. One of my hobby horses. I've read a lot on the subject. Unfortunately DH is the opposite. He hates talking about such things. His previous partner died of cancer at 47 and it was not an easy time for him as she chose to die at home. The anniversary comes up every November and it is a difficult month for him. Personally, and privately, I think her decision was selfish and she did other things I think were wrong. She was unable to accept she was dying. No will, no next of kin declaration. (They weren't married, but we're together 25 years - her choice) I can't understand it. I am finding it difficult to persuade DH to take out POA. At some point I'm just going to have to insist. If he were incapacitated I have no way of paying for things he might need. We have separate money with a small joint account for bills. Grrrrrrrrrr! We all have to die and we all get ill. I just like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. :D:*;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
    ...........+++++++++++.................
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Flat stomach I believe everyone on this site can achieve a nice flat stomach. With A fat burning diet and strength training such as weightlifting or progressive overload kettle bell swing (not an hour long session with a light Kettlebell ) And possibly removal of leftover skin. If you eat too many carbs the result is stored fat. CICO does work for weight loss however I really believe that like Karen said your body needs to burn up some of the stored fat. Just because you're sweating does that mean that you are burning fat!
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Karen, I have also been in your shoes as far as the eating is concerned. It sometimes feels like such an uphill battle. I try to treat eating like I drug addiction. Food is my drug of choice. Once I started thinking of it that way, I found it easier. It isn’t lack of control, it is a biochemical addiction. Like addictive drugs, highly palatable foods trigger feel-good brain chemicals such as dopamine. Once people experience pleasure associated with increased dopamine transmission in the brain's reward pathway from eating certain foods, they quickly feel the need to eat again. You are not alone. Just do the best you can and know that no one is perfect. We are here with you on this journey. ((HUGS))

Heather, you are making me hungry!

Terry

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    >:) Haven't caught up but wanted to post to bring you up-to-date on what's been going on. My poison ivy has spread all over my body but especially bothersome is the fact that it is all around my eyes. I called the dr office on Tuesday and was lucky enough to get an appointment a half hour later. Was the PA who I really loved me. She said it was a severe case(which I knew) and systemic. Gave me a shot and a 6 day treatment of steroids. AlreDy gained two lbs

Oh Sue, I'm so sorry to hear this. I sure hope the meds help QUICKLY. I know what you mean with the steroids, I ended up being on them for close to four months at the end of last year for a horrible, mysterious rash and I'm still fighting the weight gain, although I've also not consistently eaten as I should. I'm back on track now tho. Right now concentrate on getting well and you can worry about the weight afterwards. <3

Great news on the macular degeneration. Mine has always been dry, however it does to progress slowly at every six month check.

Janetr OKC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
    NYKAREN
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Penny, I’ll admit that in my 70 years I’ve never known anyone to choose where they live because of the language. LOL

Meg, AKA “Grandma”, congratulations-smiley-emoticon.gif

Rye, I never had a doubt that you were a softie. I’m with you on mosquitoes and roaches.

Wendy, I would not have recognized you with the blond hair. And what a tiny waist!!! Woo hooo….

MicheleNC, I know you took off the dark silver, but did that just leave one other color or are you still deciding?

Tere, so glad to see you back and sorry about your health issues. Please take care of yourself.

Mary, was he sure it was a brown recluse? That was one big spider. Gosh, be careful.

Sue, that is sad that you got such a severe case of poison ivy. I do hope you are getting some immediate relief. Sending healing thoughts. sick-smiley-emoticon.gif

Heather, I’m picturing your DH freaking out at the runny cheese as if it were the Blob, and running from the room. free-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kelly, great news on the new network. I’m sure your push helped to get it.

Margaret, it sounds like you are a wonderful teacher and how great to get to work with someone you really like. We are never too old to learn, for sure.

Becca, you are too funny, but definitely entertaining. I just want to know if the spider finished reading the book? sad-book.gif

Sharon, from the sound of things, Larry must know the end is near. I admit that I’m concerned for you. (((Hugs)))

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Tonight is our once a month dinner away from the Lodge for the Women of the Moose. It’s at a nice Fish Restaurant so I should be able to eat something healthy. I hope you and your families can all stay healthy and watch out for those varments.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA - thanks for sharing, its easy to get off track and so hard to get back on. The more I beat myself up the more I want to comfort myself with food. Such a vicious cycle. Hang in the there and unload here if you need to. Biggest (((Hugs))) ever.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    DJ- I think that after researching it he must be wrong. I believe it must have been a wolf spider. They are the only ones that get that large in this area. The scary thing about the wolf spider is that they can jump out of trees on their prey. I will have to talk to him tonight because I really think he believe that was a brown recluse spider.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    I think it was either a wolf or tarantula that you saw. Brown recluse like to hide in dark space (hence the name recluse) and have what looks like a violin on its back. The neck of the violin points down. If bitten by one you do need medical attention. We had them in Missouri where I grew up.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    OK OK.... I have changed my mind. I looked up my spoon ring and the spoon is from the Gorham Sterling Co. The pattern is La Scala. It has a sterling marking of a lion facing to the right , an anchor, and a calligraphy G. That is the markings Gorham used after 1853. The pattern was developed in 1964 however. Its a heavy sterling! So I had it resized for me to wear it!
    I will pick something else for DIL!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Kinda fuzzy! Its not easy holding a tablet and extending a left finger to take a pic!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Sharon My thoughts and sincere wishes to the universe on your behalf. I’m sorry, because no one should ever be in your position.

Sue please recover soon! It sounds like you are being graceful in a situation that would have me jumping from the rooftop, I admire you and hope it is over so very soon!

Machka Good luck with the tooth!

Kelly, that network sounds fantastic! Good for you!

Wendy With the blond hair you even look like Supergirl! (My inner geek is peeking out here!)

spiders and critters wow, lots of smushed spiders! I’ve never seen a stick bug, I’d love to tho. As for reptiles, my dad took us on a vacation to Mexico in 1970. On the side of the road was a man with an iguana photo stand - he’d let you hold the iguana and have your picture taken. I was the only one my dad could convince to hold it - and I remember thinking I didn’t think Mr Iguana was happy with his lot and a rush of sympathy for him. I’ve been fascinated with the cold blooded creatures ever since. This has been a good topic for October!

Exercise (strength training in particular) Well, I’m pretty regularly hitting 3-4 hours a week swimming, and 2-6 hours walking/indoor cycling so I have the cardio down. My problem is with the strength training. I messed up my knee with the bodyweight work I started ( it is still very sore) and my water yoga/Pilates instructor was very stern. “YOU shouldn’t be doing anything like that without supervision “ (The instructor keeps a very close eye on me b/c the dyspraxia and proprioceptive disorder mean I just don’t know and can’t actually learn good form. He has to tell me if my neck is tilted to the side, if my shoulders are hunched, if I’m ‘scooping’ etc. Because I don’t know these things - I don’t ‘feel’ them. )

So, I’m hoping I can save some money for a trainer session ( wow are they expensive! ) where I can go to each machine and have me put into the right position to start. When I have something tangible and something outside myself to SEE, I think I’ll be able to situate myself correctly. I’m going to do my homework, note the specific machines/exercises I want to do, and then have the trainer situate me on each machine - then have trainer watch me situate myself until I get it right. I’ll ask if I can record our session so I can remember and transcribe it afterwards. Because I certainly can’t afford twice a week supervised strength workouts - and If I do it alone I’m just going to keep hurting or injuring myself the instructor says. I’m hoping the machines can be a compromise.

Dyspraxia effects my balance and coordination. Both are poor - but not truly a barrier except in combination with the proprioceptive disorder. The best way to explain that is imagine you are holding a hand hairdryer behind your back and someone said point it to 10:00, then 12:00 or to 2:00 etc. I can’t do that. I can get upwards and downwards, but my upward direction might be 10:00 or 12:00 or 2:00. I can’t see (behind my back) so I don’t know much beyond up and down. My understanding is normal people can ‘feel’ which direction they point? Things like how far a car extends on the passenger side, how much clearance I have (for something like height/width) how to generate the proper amount of force to toss something to someone are not things I understand or can perceive. But if there is a physical object to press against, it is much easier. Swimming for instance, I can more easily adjust my body’s swim strokes because I can feel the difference in the water as I move through it differently But I can’t really tell out of the water if my arm is moving to at a bad form angle or straight up and down because it is just me, there is no outside force I can use to calibrate my body. . TLDR: more specifics about Rye’s disabilities.

Wishing all Health, Safety, and Happiness from a beautiful early fall evening in Texas,

Rye