WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Allie – I agree with the women telling you to allow yourself to go through the grieving of the lost marriage – HOWEVER, remember this … we think you did the right thing for YOU. You should always put yourself first (over other people) to make sure you are giving yourself your best, then you can be able to be around others without having a ‘pity party’ or expecting to. The things you’ll go through; are things such as shock or disbelief, denial, bargaining, guilt, anger, depression, and acceptance/hope. Symptoms of grief can be emotional, physical, social, or religious in nature. But, you need to learn to not worry about what TomCat is or is not doing. Who was the ‘jerk’ who let you know he was dating? Why do you care? No reason that you can’t have male company either and TomCat isn’t the one who should be allowed to be there and be the one - he has already destroyed that for you and moving on and walking away is what is/was best for YOU. I know you were married 20 years and it is hard to let go of that length of a marriage. But, you decided you were not going to be lied to and made the decision to get out of an obviously miserable marriage/relationship. Did TomCat let it ‘slip out’? IF he did, he was purposefully doing so in an attempt to ‘hurt’ you. If some ‘well-meaning friend’ did … you need to tell them ‘you don’t care … that situation is in the past’ (if it is). You have made leaps and bounds in getting independent and strong – don’t let anything drag you under again. You’ve already gone ‘back to him’ in an attempt to try to salvage the marriage and all you did was get hurt worse. Let him go and say, “good riddance’.

Marcelyn – I lived in a small town, so when I was trick or treating … we got loaded up with goodies, a lot 'homemade'. The best were given out by a couple (older) up the street who made popcorn balls (Popped popcorn with cooked Karo syrup and nuts) and wrapped in cellophane with a bow. They knew all the kids that came to their house and a lot would not go because they had a really tall hedge and a gate you had to go through - scary for the little ones. Your older siblings could not bring one out to you … you had to be ‘brave’ enough to go through the gate and walk about 500+ feet to their front door and both of them came to the door and talked to you about your costume and why you chose it. Loved going there, would by-pass several houses to go there first before they ran out. When she died, he closed the door to her bedroom and never changed anything and nobody was allowed to go in. The lot can never be sold (according to their Wills), the house had to be torn down and bricks crushed, furniture – the son ‘might’ have gotten it; but, I doubt it. And all the hedges and shrubbery were ripped out. It's been a long time since I have gone back there - no reason - no family there; but, it is a lot with trees and nothing else there. He owned one of the banks in town. I think the local HS was named for someone in their family. When his son built his house he built it way off the road and right behind the home place; but, it was a good mile away to his driveway around the corner.

I can only remember a couple of times my boys went to their parochial school to have a costume party and candy given out. Trey was Batman and Will was a black cat. They were so funny, too. Trey holding out his cape; and Will twirling his tail and meowing. I will try to find the picture (if I did not send it to Tami).

Protein Bars – I got 2 ‘new’ ones … not sure how they are going to be; but, receptionist and nationalist both like them. Peanut butter and jelly covered with chocolate. I like all 3; but, the combination sounds weird. They had ‘chili’ as well; but, I’d have to have a little meat to add to it so I did not get it.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I just love the cute costumes they make for babies. Not that they aren't cute enough anyway!

My sister is one of those that think Halloween is a holiday to celebrate the devil. They go to a nice movie. I think a lot of churches are trying to provide a safe place for the kids to have Halloween. Our church has the Trunk or Treat. Then they can go right down the street for another one. Since it has rained all day today I don't know what they did. And I am sure that most of these kids will also go out on Tuesday. So far Charlie hasn't got any candy so I have no idea what he is going to do.

If I lived close to a big city I wouldn't want to do the driving. But maybe I would be so used to it that it wouldn't bother me. I didn't really start driving until I was about 24. I was even petrified in going across the bridge for years. Once I conquered that then I had to conquer being able to pass a semi, especially in the slain. I have still only driven on one interstate! That's I 64. It led me to Lousiville that I had to cross a BIG bridge with ma y lames to Kentucky to get to then I could drive to where. Both my girls went to college then to Lexington. She has lived around Lexington since then. For any other traveling, either Charlie or my girls drive. Oh, I am sure that I can drive it but I would be so tense that I would t be a good driver.

Joyce, Indiana
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia, Yeah us!!! It is wonderful to eat food that is hands down more yummy than any frozen meal huh?!!!
    Let's do the I've got this no worries dance!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Sue in WA. Yep, that's me on a roll, but I'm not eating them! I need to eat this way forever, with a strong determination like our Heather!
    Becca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Allie- just curious as to how you know that Tom is sick? Are you sure that you want a divorce?
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Mary~ yes I want the divorce.. I texted him to tell him have a nice time, because I am trying to be cordial... and he texts me back telling me he went to leave and just felt sick... so that is how I found out....
    And I am quite Happy on my own thank you very much... How is things down your way? Shep enjoying the life down there and sure do hope your Lyme disease is better with the warmer weather...
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia Olivia is just a doll! so cute!
    NYKaren, I have exzema's "cousin", can't for the life of me remember what my dr called it now, but I have sensitive skin and it will get irritated if it's exposed to certain products, chief among them, anything citrus. I can eat citrus, no problem there, but I can't process a lot of it. By that I mean I can't be cutting any acidic fruit or veggies without wearing gloves. A small price to pay. Sometimes I also break out between my fingers and under my rings, this mostly happens when I don't dry my hands properly. I have a corticosteroid that I use when it gets really itchy, it really helps. If it were me, I would use the steroid cream until the rash and itch has died down and then start trying to go without it, you shouldn't have to use it all the time.
    Welcome to the newbies! Sorry, I have forgotten your names already! I'm at work, so only have this open in one screen, at home I will open this thread twice, read in one, post in the other, but at work, well....., the boss wants me to work sometimes too! I can be on the computer when it's quiet, like right now, tho.
    Sharon, glad to hear you are still okay, hope your cousin has some words of wisdom for you! Looking forward to hearing what happened.
    Lisa, was it Lisa who was stuck in traffic for so long? You poor thing! I hate being stuck in construction and/or traffic jams! Just always seems like such a HUGE waste of time and energy! Glad your DH is a good guy!
    Hi to all those that I have missed, I know there's lots going on, just took me a few hours to get caught up on reading!
    I have decided to start watching my CICO more carefully, tracked everything the other day, and found out why I'm not losing weight!!!! Silly me.... lol
    Anyway, must go and do some more work! Later, ladies!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Janetr, try not to let the Fitbit thing or any of the others get to you. I do notice that I am getting worse and worse with my short term memory but I try to just laugh at it. So far I can remember where I’m going and how to get there so if I walk in a room and don’t know why, I figure it must not be that important. I do agree it can get frustrating at times.

Wendy, I feel your financial pain, too. The past 3 years we had to help our DD so much that it literally drained our savings down considerably. Now that she is here and working at least that has stopped but I have become very careful with my spending. Once you are on a “fixed income” and necessities keep going up in price, it gets a bit scary. We should be fine if neither of us has to go into a nursing home but that is a real concern. Just enjoy each day, is the way I look at it.

MicheleNC, I understand your question on the weather for this weekend. With the cold front that came through it’s hard to know just how cold it will be on the entire east coast. I just hope you have a great weekend!!!!

Terry, I have done a few kettle bell exercises and found them to be easier than I expected. I just need to get in a routine and do it regularly now that they have them at the gym. I do them in front of the full mirror so I can keep an eye on my form.

Yvonne, good that the dentist visit didn’t turn out the way it could have. Every once in a while I feel like some of us need a good night out with a few too many calories. Few are as strong as Barbie.

OMG, I’ve gotten so far behind and had hoped to catch up some tonight but DD just came into my little office and has me totally off my game. She is just so bothered by anything we do or say and doesn’t want to have any interaction with us…..except of course on her terms and time frame. It is certainly stressful with her living here but I just pray that things will improve. Sorry I’ve missed so much of what is going on in all your lives and know I think of you constantly. It’s only 9:00 but I’m going to bed just to get out of the line of fire.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.53min, 141mhr, 11.3amph. 1.4mi= 85c
    apple watch- 58c
    TREADMILL, skip/sidstep/scissors- 45min, 15min mi, 4.0p, 10incline then 5 incline every other song, 119ahr, 144mhr, 3mi = 354c
    apple watch- 386c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.34min, 13.9amph, 122mhr, 1.4mi= 59c
    appple watch- 45c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 18.31min, 135mhr, 9.8amph, 3mi= 141c
    apple watch- 125c
    walk w/bg, sta 2 wk- 8.19min, 111mhr, 3.9ap, .5mi= 48c
    apple watch- 47c
    walk wk w/HVY bg- 2 sta- 7.35min, 117mhr, 4.2ap, .5mi= 60c
    apple watch- 52c
    Ride dome 2 hm w/HVY 20.2# bg- 19.37min, 8amph, 158mhr, 2.6mi = 204c
    apple watch- 142c

total cal 960c
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Checking in before bed. Lazy day as it was too windy to play golf or do anything outside.
    The babies are growing so fast. Love all the pictures.
    DJ - sorry you have the uncomfortable situation at home. You are so loving and supportive and you deserve to be comfortable in your home.
    Still getting new breakouts from the poison ivy but decided to wait until Monday to call dr back. Soaking in Epsom Salts helps with the itching.
    Have a great weekend friends.
    SueBDew in TX
  • coastalgosgal
    edited October 2017
    Options
    In reference to the eczema conversation, I have this:

"Lichen sclerosus (LS) is a skin disease of unknown cause, commonly appearing as whitish patches on the genitals, which can affect any body part of any person but has a strong preference for the genitals (penis, vulva) and is also known as balanitis xerotica obliterans (BXO) when it affects the penis. Lichen sclerosus is not contagious. There is a well-documented increase of skin cancer risk in LS, potentially improvable with treatment. LS in adult age is normally incurable, but improvable with treatment, and often gets progressively worse."

And I just cut and pasted that!
    Oye, its not as bad as it sounds! I have a dime size mark under my left armpit, another dime size mark to the left of my left breast. I do have it on the vulva, but it hasn't been so awful to hinder anything. My husband for the longest time thought I had some sexually transmitted disease, which I don't. Its nothing I caught, nor is it something I can get rid of. Its a manner of coming to terms with it. There are times when I am more in pain than others. I had a biopsy a couple of years ago, and no skin cancer. The doctors have prescribed steroid creams, but the moment I apply it, I can taste it in my mouth! And nooo I am not eating the cream, ya nuts! I am putting it on the nawty bits! OK wow, I have given you way more info than needed, but oh well. I'm not ashamed or anything, its just something I have.

Interestingly enough when I was an active nudist from 2007 to 2012, this disease didn't have a hold on me. I did notice my dime size marks didn't tan well.

Becca
    Who's life is an open book it seems
    in Oregon
  • leanerstrongerhealthier
    leanerstrongerhealthier Posts: 92 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

@fanncy0626 Mary I want to start using my kettlebells. I have 2-5, 10 and 15. I need to start slowly as I fell and hurt my back and knee. I am going to start with the Goblet Squats and Russian KB Swings every other day. Maybe begin with..

Goblet Squats 3x10x10
    Russian Kettlebell Swings 4x10x10

In your opinion:
    Will every other day be sufficient to see results? And get stronger?
    How do I progress slowly exactly? With adding weight/ reps?

Excuse me.. if you have answered this above I have yet to read.

*Thanks

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
    //
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Karen NY ... glad you have a diagnosis and glad you took a day for yourself! You deserve it!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA - you know how the old saying goes "great minds think alike" :) Thanks on the Hannah Joy pics, she was born in March like Mia, but a few weeks later. I can't believe they are all this big already. Olivia is just a doll, she was has such a big smile and laughing, looks to be a happy baby.

Janetr OKC