WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I generally avoid cottage cheese because of the sodium.

And I actually salt my cottage cheese because it isn't salty enough and I need the sodium! :grin:

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    Regarding halloween costumes ...

Because it isn't a thing here, I don't wear them anymore.

But back when I was in Canada, on different years I dressed as:
    -- a ghost (a ghostly dead woman in a weedy white dress with spiders and cobwebs in my hair),
    -- as Medusa (with snakes in my hair!),
    -- as Peter Pan,
    -- as Catwoman,
    -- and as a tornado. :)

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »

I am on an anti-biotic and a cortisone cream and I am hoping that the rash (eczema) improves dramatically soon.
    The doctor said to make an appointment with him for 2 weeks from now and if the rash disappears I cancel the appointment. Here's hoping that the Rx does the trick. Anyone here deals with eczema? Is this brought on by stress? There is no family history of eczema and I thought (for a long time now) that it is was a wheat aor gluten intolerant rash==whether it is or not, I feel better not eating white flour, pasta, bread, cake etc. I really feel better on a veggie, some animal protein, fruit eating plan, this does include eggs and cheeses. I don't really miss the pasta all that much.

NYKAREN

Not dealing with Eczema but saw this article just last week, so thought I’d share it in case you had not seen it. https://www.prevention.com/health/steroid-free-solutions-for-eczema
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    NY Karen ~ I developed eczema around my ankles after we got our Pom. I think it is a reaction to his thick fur. I try to keep the places lubricated and when it is very bad, I use a steroid cream. Have seen advertisements lately that say there is a new non-steroid cream. Will ask my dr. about it the next time I go in.
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Rye ~ Thanks for the link. I will try the white vinegar.
  • Peach1948
    edited October 2017
    Options
    We have had men from the Cobb EMC working for the last three days to take down two giant pine trees that were struck by lightning. They have had to do this very carefully because we have sink holes in our back yard and they could not put their heavy equipment back there. We will have to pay to have the downed tree parts removed. One of the trees fell on my double blooming Japanese tree that is just lovely in the Spring (I think it is the same one that PIP has in her yard with the lovely pink blossoms). Sad about that.

Carol in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese with horseradish with crudete...
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Heather ~ Just curious....which of the ladies in the pic is the difficult friend?
  • ryenday
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Churches and Halloween I think different churches all have different takes on Halloween. I grew up in the Catholic Church, and in my parish there was always a Halloween party. Other parishes did not necessarily recognize it at all (the feast of all saints is the day after Halloween if I recall correctly and some churches focused on that religious day in the early fall)

My SiL family church (unknown American southern church, might be baptist) hosts a big ‘do’ for Halloween as well. The neighborhood churches that organize the big bus-in here are Episcopalian and Unitarian.

But I have heard of some churches being very disturbed by or actively opposing practicing the traditional Halloween celebrations.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ladies,

KolleenS and RebeccaRN17, welcome. This is a a great place to share and get support. I'm pretty new too and it is over whelming. I find I have to check in at least twice a day to stay on top of things. There are alot of us but over time you start to get to know people and what is happening in their lives. Just keep reading and jump in whenever you feel you want to.

Joyce, the only place I like to be in control is driving. Luckily my DH has no problem letting me take the wheel. I'm 5 years older than him so I'm sure there will come a time where he will be doing the driving.

Sharon, you are lucky to have good brothers. I wish I was able to have a relationship with my sister. Unfortunately that just isn't possible because she is volatile and unpredictable (my mom and I always thought she had mental issues and that maybe she was bipolar but she thinks she is fine so she won't get help). I just can't be around that.

Heather, glad we could be there for you. We have someone at work that does not believe in Halloween as he says it is celebrating the devil. Interesting enough he always comes around to see what people are wearing. Too bad you are feeling you have to move because of your neighbor. Hope it all works out.

Lisa, grant writing isn't easy and that skill is good to have. Hope you can get the last one done so that you can enjoy your week off. Good luck with the open house and the going away party. I'm sure you will be able to find another writers group in Fayetteville. Hope Michele is doing well too.

Karen, hope the rash clears up soon now that you are on the meds. Did your dr ever mention a red lamp. They are suppose to help with circulation. My co-worker just bought one for another reason. Once she tries it out, I may get one as it is suppose to help with hair. Glad your heartburn is getting better and you are making better choices.

Allie, good job telling Tom no about handing out candy. As for the other women, once a cheater always a cheater.

Kelly, cottage cheese - YUCK. Never did like it. I wish I could as it is good for you. MY daughter loves it and has found a maple flovor she likes.

Okie, YEAH! Great job working to get into a normal MBI and going down a size.

Barbie, love the kittens! Would love to see pics of you in your costume. Hope you have fun.

Rye, we don't get any kids at Halloween as we live in the woods. I do miss seeing the kids in their costume. I'm going to try the butterfly on my face like the pic Sharon posted for at work that day. (thanks for the idea Sharon)

Carol, sorry you have to take down some of your trees. Trees seem to become part of the family at times.

Well, went down a little more so now only 1.2 lbs away from "onederland"! Maybe by Monday I'll have reached my first goal. I'm so excited to be so close. Off from work today. I'm going to work on a Christmas wreath for myself. I make them for people and give them away but I don't have one for myself. My daughter wants to make a necklace out of buttons so we may try that this weekend. I'll post pics when they are done.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Terry in VT

• ryenday
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I like cottage cheese with horseradish with crudete...
    Learn something new every day- I always wondered what crudités was so I just looked it up. Veggies!

I never liked or found a way to enjoy cottage cheese. I find both the taste and texture off putting. I also don’t like yogurt much. Yogurt is too good a protein and calcium source for me to dismiss from my diet, but eating it is a chore, not an enjoyment for me. Lucky my husband likes yogurt very much so we always have some in the fridge. I don’t eat cottage cheese.

If we don’t eat enough yogurt before the expiry date I make hair conditioner with it. (Part yogurt -pref Greek full fat- and local organic honey warmed in microwave- mix in one egg and let set on wet hair for 20 or so minutes. )
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,312 Member
    Options
    Carol, she is the far opposite end from me. The one next to her is my Portsmouth friend and the one next to me is the hostess.
    I went on Amazon and I've just ordered some Halloween pumpkin string lights for the porch. Very cheap. When we go next door to talk to the neighbours (v nice) about the projected planning application, we will tell them their two daughters , 12 and 9, are welcome to call in for candy. They might spread the word. :D

Lisa - I can't wait to hear all about your Great Adventure. You are amazing! We might have to have a garage sale if our move is back on the cards! Grrrrrrrrrr! :o:#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3B)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Carol, she is the far opposite end from me. The one next to her is my Portsmouth friend and the one next to me is the hostess.
    I went on Amazon and I've just ordered some Halloween pumpkin string lights for the porch. Very cheap. When we go next door to talk to the neighbours (v nice) about the projected planning application, we will tell them their two daughters , 12 and 9, are welcome to call in for candy. They might spread the word. :D

Lisa - I can't wait to hear all about your Great Adventure. You are amazing! We might have to have a garage sale if our move is back on the cards! Grrrrrrrrrr! :o:#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Heather, that's too funny because she is the one I picked out to be the difficult one. :)

Janetr OKC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Rye thanks for the link! I think I will try the vinegar. I will follow the doc's rx but I am very curious to learn more about allergen links to eczema. The article was a great start.

Our Halloween breakfast was a delightful success. The quality of the food this year was much much better, there were some beautiful quiches' such as crab, salmon and lorraine. I ate a little of the inside of each, no crust for me. Also, delightful assortment of fresh berries--very nice for a change. I just walked past the candy bowl and the monkeybread. Drank too much coffee and have been hyper every since!!!

Going to take it easy for the rest of the day, have decided to destress and not feel guilty about being lazy, I think I deserve it!

NYKAREN