WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope everyone has a fantastic day today. As far as exercise is concerned find something that works for you. The Kettlebell works for me because number one I am lazy. I like to do something that will have results with very little effort! That's why weightlifting and swinging the kettle bell are the exercises that I chose. I don't love doing it but I love the results. And I also like to work out at home. I can swing the kettle bell well watching TV and I because of my results my husband has now joined me. Mostly for the strengthening of the skeletal system and the relief of back and neck pain if we do this. My husband has also found back and neck pain relief from the strengthening of the muscles around the vertebrae of his back. It's kind a like a medicine you might not like the taste but you like the results.

Kettlebell Swing
    Morning workout
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing- 22X7X 35
    Evening workout
    goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-16 X7X 35

Sharon- (((hugs))) i'm sorry for what you are going through! We are all here for you! Beautiful girls!

Lisa- glad that you finally made it home!

KarenVa- Olivia is so darn cute! What a doll! Thanks for the smile today.

Beth- i'm glad that your husband is home and that his surgery went well. Hopefully you will be able to find a chair that will be comfortable for him to sit in.

Rye- walking is a great exercise! Too bad about your bike! I think my husband would be picking me up in the evening as well.

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Hello ceemyheartrn! Welcome to a wonderful group of ladies. There are many on here that follow a low carb diet. When I am doing my best at weight loss, I find that lower carbs (referring mostly to gluten based products) works best for me. There are others here who are more rigid in their definition of carbs.

Beth near Buffalo
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi Sisters, I've been busy, busy, busy. Queen bee flyin around. LOL. Trying to decide what would be the most fun this weekend, and also what NEEDS to be done and if I can fit the two together. I went into our local bookstore yesterday and looked for half an hour, then finally asked the store clerk if they had a weightlifting or work out books area that I was overlooking. She curled her lip in disgust and said, "We don't stock books like that" You would have thought I asked for the Dominatrix Guide to Bondage ! Guess I'll have to mail order and get it brown bagged...

TERRY I am still a little unsure of what the "five week" programme for kettlebells is exactly. I haven't managed to get a Pavel book yet though I've watched the youtube links with some examples of correct form in exercises. I am like you, a bit needing step by step and SIMPLE. So this is what I am doing to get started: I am doing just two exercises with the kettle ball. The first one is a squat holding the kettle ball in front of me. They call it the "Goblet Squat". I do that five squats, for three times, holding my 8 kg kettle ball. So that is a total of 15 squats with lots of breaks in between. The second exercise I do is the swing. I do that ten swings, for three sets. I figure this will start getting my muscles used to it before I move up to a heavier weight. Please jump in and tell me if this advice is all wrong as I am just a beginner MARY.

So, gotta fly, much to do, so little time, <3 Wendy
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I'm in. I have chosen Low Carb. Anyone else?
    52yr old, married 5 adult kids and 3 grand children. I have 100lbs to lose. I am a good listener and look forward to meeting you all !

Welcome! Tell us more about you! There are a few of us that I know are low carb. I go Keto at times.
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Wendy - Great job! You can modify the program anyway you want to. Start out slow and build up.

Here is the actual program that I follow and half hours for the last 2 years.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-week-whole-body-single-kettlebell-workout

I have modified it to fit me. I actually only did the goblet squat and the kettle bell swing and would do those every day. I did that because I had my weightlifting bench and would do the chest press and modified pull up every other day.

Day 1
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35 means three sets of five squats with a 35 pound kettle bell. At one minute intervals. Our use the swing timer app to monitor this.
    Russian kettle bell swing-10 X7X 35 means 10 sets of seven swings with a 35 pound kettle bell. Use whatever size Kettlebell you want.

Day 2
    Alternating press- 5X5,4,3,2,1X10 means five sets of five reps of single arm press then do it with your other or five reps. Rest are usually have a one minute rest period so for this I would have one minute 30 second worktime so a total of 1 1/2 minute intervals set on my timer. The next set would be for wraps of the single arm press then your other arm. The next step would be to reps of the single arm press then your other arm. The next that would be One rack of the single arm press then your other arm.

Pull ups- 5X5,4,3,2,1bodyweight this means 1 set of five pull-ups rest one minute, 1 set of 4 pull-ups rest one minute, one set of 3 pull-ups rest one minute, one set of 2 pull-ups rest one minute, one set of 1 pull up done! I did modified pull ups on my weight bench. You can do many different types of modified pull ups and there are a lot of them online to look at. I suggest using two chairs and a broomstick across the top of both of them. You lie on the floor with your body tight if you can pull your whole body off the ground. Modified chest off the ground.

Day 3-add 3 more sets of swings. 16 sets
    Day 4 same as day 2.
    Day 5-add 3 more sets of swings. 19 sets
    Day 6- same as day 2
    Day 7- rest day
    Week 2
    Day 1 goblet squats-3X5X 35 this stays the same for all five weeks.
    Russian kettle bell swing-16 X7X 35 notice that instead of going up from 19 sets you went back down to 16 sets.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Becca -we just saw a sign for"naked mountain winery. Is that a winery for nudists? Lol

Naaaa, its just the name of a mountain where it never snows. Lol!
    Becca
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sorry if this looks like a repeat post but you know how things work out here and my first one got cut off so this is the rest of the information for the ladies that might want it. Other people please just ignore!

Here is the actual program that I follow and have for the last 2 years.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-week-whole-body-single-kettlebell-workout

I have modified it to fit me. I actually only did the goblet squat and the kettle bell swing and would do those every day. I did that because I had my weightlifting bench and would do the chest press and modified pull up every other day.

Day 1
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35 means three sets of five squats with a 35 pound kettle bell. At one minute intervals. I use the swing timer app to monitor this.
    Russian kettle bell swing-10 X7X 35 means 10 sets of seven swings with a 35 pound kettle bell. Use whatever size Kettlebell you want.

Day 2
    Alternating press- 4X5,4,3,2X10 means 4 sets of five reps of single arm press then do it with your other for five reps. Rest are usually a one minute rest period so for this I would have one minute rest with 30 second worktime so a total of 1 1/2 minute intervals set on my timer. The next set would be 4 reps of the single arm press then your other arm. The next set would be 3 reps of the single arm press then your other arm. The next that would be 2 reps of the single arm press then your other arm.

Pull ups- 4X5,4,3,2bodyweight this means 1 set of five pull-ups rest one minute, 1 set of 4 pull-ups rest one minute, one set of 3 pull-ups rest one minute, one set of 2 pull ups done! I did modified pull ups on my weight bench. You can do many different types of modified pull ups and there are a lot of them online to look at. I suggest using two chairs and a broomstick across the top of both of them. You lie on the floor with your body tight if you can pull your whole body off the ground. Modified chest off the ground.

Day 3-add 3 more sets of swings. 13 sets
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-13 X7X 35
    Day 4 same as day 2.
    Day 5-add 3 more sets of swings. 16 sets
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Day 6- same as day 2
    Day 7- rest day
    Week 2
    Day 1 goblet squats-3X5X 35 this stays the same for 4 weeks.
    Russian kettle bell swing-13 X7X 35 notice that instead of going up from 16 sets you went back down to 13 sets. This becomes a pattern!
    Day 2-never changes always the same only thing that would be different is if you added weight to the pull up. See above for description of day 2 presses and pull ups!
    Day 3-
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Day 4- same as Day 2
    Day 5-
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-19 X7X 35
    Day 6- same as day 2
    Day 7-rest day
    Week 3
    Day1-
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Day 2 -
    Presses-4X5,4,3,2 X 35
    Pull ups-4X5,4,3,2X bodyweight
    Day 3-
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Day 4-
    Presses-4X5,4,3,2 X 35
    Day 5-
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-21X7X 35
    Day 6-
    Presses-4X5,4,3,2 X 35
    Pull ups-4X5,4,3,2X bodyweigh
    Day 7- rest day
    Week 4
    Day 1-
    goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Day 2-
    Presses-4X5,4,3,2 X 35
    Day 3-
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-21X7X 35
    Day 4-
    Presses-4X5,4,3,2 X 35
    Day 5-
    goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-25 5X7X 35
    Day 6-
    Presses-4X5,4,3,2 X 35
    Pull ups-4X5,4,3,2X bodyweigh

Week five is a De-load week kind of like a rest week. I don't usually do this week because in normal life activities I may have to take a break here and there and use that. Remember you can make your exercise fit for your lifestyle. Usually at this time I Add weight go up 5 pounds to a heavier kettle bell. Or, if that is too much for me which it usually is I will add swings and start the program over again from week one.

Week 1
    Day 1-
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35, this always stays the same!
    Russian kettle bell swing-10 X 10 X 35 noticed that I have added three swings I went from seven swings up to 10 swings.
    Day 2-
    Presses-4X5,4,3,2 X 35

Then I would continue all the way through the next four weeks. After that 4weeks I would probably start using a 40 pound kettle bell.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    thanks Mary
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I just want to add that I do generally follow the four week program even after two years. I have modified it to fit my ability level. I do goblet squats and swings every day. Pavel the man responsible for this workout routine states that you can swing everyday of your life without an issue. I have started to actually do them twice a day because my husband would rather work out in the evening and would like to join me. I however need to work out in the morning because sometimes he fails me in the evening and does not work out with me. So to make sure I get my workout in I always work out in the morning. And I will do it without him in the evening if he can't.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    ahhhh feel a bit refreshed with a bit of a nap and now having some Matcha tea to warm up.. I paid my electric bill which was from Oct 2nd until now.. and it was 32.00 and change... I do keep lights off and have not really turned on heat or air, but for a short bit here and there..once the new wifi thermostats are in, I will be able to program how I want it to work, in both the bedroom and living area's I am comfortable right now without anything turned on .. and will continue until I start getting chilly in the house.. I did a load of laundry while I was running around today , so I got 2 things that I needed to get done , done . should figure out the route to take when we leave for Virginia next thursday.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
  • leanerstrongerhealthier
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Wendy - Great job! You can modify the program anyway you want to. Start out slow and build up.

Here is the actual program that I follow and half hours for the last 2 years.

Day 1
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35 means three sets of five squats with a 35 pound kettle bell. At one minute intervals. Our use the swing timer app to monitor this.

Day 2
    Alternating press- 5X5,4,3,2,1X10 means five sets of five reps of single arm press then do it with your other or five reps. Rest are usually have a one minute rest period so for this I would have one minute 30 second worktime so a total of 1 1/2 minute intervals set on my timer. The next set would be for wraps of the single arm press then your other arm. The next step would be to reps of the single arm press then your other arm. The next that would be One rack of the single arm press then your other arm.

Pull ups- 5X5,4,3,2,1bodyweight this means 1 set of five pull-ups rest one minute, 1 set of 4 pull-ups rest one minute, one set of 3 pull-ups rest one minute, one set of 2 pull-ups rest one minute, one set of 1 pull up done! I did modified pull ups on my weight bench. You can do many different types of modified pull ups and there are a lot of them online to look at. I suggest using two chairs and a broomstick across the top of both of them. You lie on the floor with your body tight if you can pull your whole body off the ground. Modified chest off the ground.

Day 3-add 3 more sets of swings. 16 sets
    Day 4 same as day 2.
    Day 5-add 3 more sets of swings. 19 sets
    Day 6- same as day 2
    Day 7- rest day
    Week 2
    Day 1 goblet squats-3X5X 35 this stays the same for all five weeks.
    Russian kettle bell swing-16 X7X 35 notice that instead of going up from 19 sets you went back down to 16 sets.

Hi Everyone! Thank you Mary for your workout details! I am hoping to get started with the kettlebells next week.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Heather, well done girl! And you look great in the picture too.

Terry