1235»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    shel80kg wrote: »
    Hi Ann*

I am guessing you tend to explain a significant dimension of weight management challenges as a function of psychological conditions, pathologies and learned responses. Although I do not disagree in a general sense, please consider that there can (and is quite likely) metabolic realities which may make weight gain more or less likely. I grow a bit weary with presuming that each body operates similarly and my previous question to this forum was rather specific. If one alters food quantity from low to high does the body benefit from this type of intentional fluctuation with reference to increasing or decreasing metabolic rate. I agree that my term "resilience" was ambiguous. My apologies. I was wondering if inconsistent food consumption can be one factor in creating a more sensitive and responsive metabolic process that may work in favour of legitimate and safe weight loss.

I do think genetic factors make weight gain more or less likely, and do think that personal history can result in metabolic adaptations that make weight gain/loss more or less difficult or easy. I don't think all bodies operate identically, either out of the gate (genetically) or down the road (after varying personal histories).

Also, recall my comment to you on another thread that I don't see the mind and body as separate, i.e., I think that at least some "psychological" things are physical (and vice versa). Learning or knowledge also affect physical responses. See, for example, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21574706/ or https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-018-0483-4.)

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I think the "starvation mode" and "diet breaks" threads discuss ways in which food consumption history affects metabolic factors which in turn affect the difficulty or ease of subsequent weight loss. Both of those refer to some fairly scientific sources of information to support that discussion, IIRC. That is why I suggested you might want to read them. Have you done?

I absolutely believe that human bodies are dynamic, i.e., that calorie intake affects calorie expenditure. That's part of the reason, I believe, that "a big overfeed doesn't ruin everything".

Because the threads I linked discuss physical ("metabolic") responses to changes in calorie intake, and how those changes relate to weight loss, I don't particularly want to try to summarize that material inexpertly here. I think it does bear on your question.

Generally, though, I think that these issues - while very interesting and worthy of discussion - are somewhat tangent to this thread.

• shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Again,
    Apologies if I took your threat in a different direction. I did read the articles you were so kind to advise me of and they were helpful.
    The tendency for many of us "frequent flyers" in the weight management world to fall off the wagon and see how far we can deviate from the plan requires more research in my opinion. Perhaps the desire to know the consequences and reassure ourselves that we can get back on the horse with only a few scars gives us hope and perspective.

I think there may well be an arrant child in me that keeps the narrative alive; reminding me that I should be able to eat whatever I like whenever I like. I am not angry at this "inner-child" and have decided that he gets an occasional trip to the ice-cream shop. But....he is not in charge. I am. And so far so good.

Thanks again for the great thread and your intelligent responses.

Shel