Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with chilli beans in 27 C heat was a really dumb idea. Must source more cold food options...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Baked potato with chilli beans in 27 C heat was a really dumb idea. Must source more cold food options...

Potato salad. Actually, cold new potatoes if they're a lovely variety like Charlotte or Jersey Royals can be tres delicious. Of course varieties you can get will be different but just a good potato with flavour, usually a heritage type. I really enjoy marinated artichoke hearts from the deli section too. I'm basically just dreaming of summer food now, even though I actually really really love winter food.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Potato salad. Actually, cold new potatoes if they're a lovely variety like Charlotte or Jersey Royals can be tres delicious. Of course varieties you can get will be different but just a good potato with flavour, usually a heritage type. I really enjoy marinated artichoke hearts from the deli section too. I'm basically just dreaming of summer food now, even though I actually really really love winter food.

My potato salad requires tomatoes (well, it probably doesn't, but it does, so...). Also, protein. That's my real sticking point, something I can whack a decent amount of protein into. Also, salad means I'm having salad twice a day.

Though, I am now thinking some kind of cold potato/cottage cheese mix type potato salad thing. That could work. Thanks!! And the potatoes will be Jersey Bennies.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Yeah I've done a Greek yoghurt/mayo combo to reduce calories a bit. I put spring onion and chopped boiled eggs in my salad. And have it as a side to my meat, so a bit different for you.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Cold potato and Greek yogurt would mix really well too. Add in some mustard maybe.

Yes, was also thinking along those lines as well. And really, I don't actually need to worry about not meeting my protein goal. Yesterday I had 198g of the stuff :D There are only two days in the past month that I didn't hit my personal minimum of 1g per lb.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Yes, thinking whole seed mustard, spring onions, maybe some red capsicum (raw, it can pretend it's tomato, they are family after all). No eggies for Nony :(
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Yes, thinking whole seed mustard, spring onions, maybe some red capsicum (raw, it can pretend it's tomato, they are family after all). No eggies for Nony :(

When I was growing up, my mother used to put bacon in our potato salad. It was mayo based. Could you get some veggie bacon to crumble on? It would add a lovely flavor.

Now I'm wanting some of this ish. I might have to make some during my diet break.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

When I was growing up, my mother used to put bacon in our potato salad. It was mayo based. Could you get some veggie bacon to crumble on? It would add a lovely flavor.

Now I'm wanting some of this ish. I might have to make some during my diet break.

The veggie bacon has both egg and gluten in it. I could get tvp bacon bits though!! Stellar idea.

My usual potato salad recipe calls for half a jar of Best Foods real mayo :tongue: Whip up the mayo with lots of paprika and some cracked pepper, chuck in the potatoes, halved cherry tomatoes, spring onion. Done. It's amazing.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    And now I'm going to go buy some Number 8 wire...(and stuff for potato salad)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

The veggie bacon has both egg and gluten in it. I could get tvp bacon bits though!! Stellar idea.

My usual potato salad recipe calls for half a jar of Best Foods real mayo :tongue: Whip up the mayo with lots of paprika and some cracked pepper, chuck in the potatoes, halved cherry tomatoes, spring onion. Done. It's amazing.

TVP bacon bits sound perfect, and I'm jealous. I wish soy liked me.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I just eat actual bacon bits. Sorrynotsorry. Actually a bit sorry. Veggie for 10 years me apologises profusely for omnivorous me. Sorry pigs.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited December 2017
    Options
    How is it that I turn what should be a one hour errand trip into two and a half?? Lots of wandering around hardware shop valiantly trying to find things myself (actually I did find the first couple, then got put wrong for the next), one supermarket to get groceries, but they only had real bacon bits, wholefoods/bulk bin shop (always forget about that place!) which I wandered around twice looking for bacon bits, and also came out with cherry liqueur chocs and a Terry's dark choc orange for Christmas day, and was reminded of veg sausages as a lunch option, but theirs had oats and didn't say gluten-free, another supermarket for watermelon and veg sausages, plus plum sauce for the sausages. Will probably have sausages, corn on the cob and a salad for dinner.

This evening's mission is to put up some more support wire (No.2, not 8) for the grape vine, and prune out some of the extra growth. I'm also meant to take out some of the bunches of fruit, which pains me even though I know it needs to be done.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

Hearing about all this delicious fruit in the middle of a Minnesota winter is making my eyes water! Although at least clementines are back in season, which are a big favorite of mine.

25289614_10155986324025908_7472022942215448057_n.jpg?oh=1c74ad442e09a061fbe46e154eff0b6d&oe=5AD4DAC6

Do you know, I didn't have pavlova. Actually, it would be more accurate to say I don't remember having pavlova because my memory is fooked so I might have done and not know.

You need to come back then.

de12b1hz8bhc.jpg

Jandals (which I hate with a firey passion).

I had to Google what Jandals were, I've never heard that term. I live in thongs (flipflops) pretty much year round, I even take my walks in them. I don't even own a pair of sneakers :open_mouth:

Me too. My winter walking shoes aren't even sneakers or runnng shoes, they're suede pull ons not lace ups. I wear 'jandels' all winter inside at night for slippers and never anything else anytime in spring summer and fall. The weather is pretty nice year around here in central Spanish mountains though and inside floors are tiles, so probably that contributes to jandel wearing. :)

• Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am still wincing at the picture of those sunburned feet in flip flops!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I am still wincing at the picture of those sunburned feet in flip flops!

Yeah, its like my summer tan feet marks twin picture!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Dammit! It's Christmas at our house - what major appliance is going to crap out this year? The water heater, for the win! After googling and trying every fix known to the internet, my husband has declared it officially dead. His next day off is Wed., so we're going to have nothing but cold water until then. :'(
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh that sucks @mph323 :\

Where's my goddam pms bloat gone??? Christmas bonus, Christmas bonus, Christmas bonus...

Also, my partitally broken Fitbit strap fully broke during the night, so now I really do need to get on to contacting them for a replacement.

Little fishy has gone to the stream at the Rainbow Bridge. Buried her last night :(
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Oh that sucks @mph323 :\

Where's my goddam pms bloat gone??? Christmas bonus, Christmas bonus, Christmas bonus...

Also, my partitally broken Fitbit strap fully broke during the night, so now I really do need to get on to contacting them for a replacement.

Little fishy has gone to the stream at the Rainbow Bridge. Buried her last night :(

Awww, so sorry!