GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    richln wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Lyle's article on the formal full diet break: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

Haha, I've read that thing inside out and backwards @anubis609. I understand the rationale behind the carb increase for both diet break and refeed, I was asking more specifically if you knew the rationale behind keeping fats lower on the refeed. It may have been as simple (for women, cos lower TDEE) as having more room for carbs, but I think there was something more sciencey around leptin uptake in that shorter space of time. No matter, I'm sure I will stumble across it again (I really should start taking notes, so I know where I've seen these things!).

The reasoning for keeping dietary fat low on a short carbohydrate refeed is that de novo lipogenesis is a very non-preferred pathway during severe-to-moderate glycogen depletion. The converse is not true in that fat overfeeding in such a state will preferably follow pathways to body fat gain. Here is one paper:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/48/2/240.short
    There are others with higher n studies, but I don't have time for digging right now. It is called "carbohydrate overfeeding" in the scientific literature if you want to look for them. A short 2-day refeed is not going to do much to repair an unfavorable hormonal profile, hence the utility of a longer diet break. You will restore glycogen after 1-3 days at maintenance (assuming you are not low-carbing), so there is no immediate value in keeping dietary fat low after that point.

To add to this, one of the points that Lyle makes in the video (and I think it wasn't discussed enough) is that fat doesn't have the impact on leptin, cortisol and thyroid functions that carbs do; so in this case, why use up calories on a non beneficial macronutrient (outside of personal preference or to ensure adequate calories).

I can definitely make a play to stickie this topic, but it will most likely have to be in the BB/Gaining Weight section. I say that because, it's the only place we can discuss Lyle's "horrible" diets. The reason being, is the only people who should be following those style diets are the ones who have a solid foundation in nutrition/dieting as they tend to be fairly aggressive and often do not comply with MFP's standards.

So if that is a path we would like to take, please let me know and I can move the thread.

kqHskVg.jpg

If I decide to get back in calorie counting, I may have to use this strategy. But man and I haven't a tough time getting leaner (~16% now). Mentally, calorie count has been rough.

Thanks @psuLemon. I think I'd rather it stay here in general, because really the focus is on diet breaks and refeeds to mitigate the effects that dieting has on leptin, cortisol, thyroid etc, which, especially in the case of regular diet breaks, is something that imho everyone losing weight should be employing. Lyle's actual diets for weight loss etc (which I haven't really looked into cos doesn't apply to me) are definitely for the more advanced (and even he says they're horrible!).

Deficit during the week is definitely easier when you know you have the weekend to look forward to! I'm even shooting for the extra couple of kg I never got around to losing before, simply because another 3 kg from where I am now doesn't seem that big a deal anymore.

I agree that it should stay in general. Though there have been mentions of Lyle's stricter protocols, they were rare and fleeting.

The larger point is that he has a new book coming out geared towards women and fat loss, and this strategy, from what I gather he's said in his podcasts I've listened to, will be part of what he talks about in that book.

I think the concept of diet breaks and the affects of dieting on hormone levels is useful for everyone.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    maybyn wrote: »
    Lyle's article on the formal full diet break: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

Haha, I've read that thing inside out and backwards @anubis609. I understand the rationale behind the carb increase for both diet break and refeed, I was asking more specifically if you knew the rationale behind keeping fats lower on the refeed. It may have been as simple (for women, cos lower TDEE) as having more room for carbs, but I think there was something more sciencey around leptin uptake in that shorter space of time. No matter, I'm sure I will stumble across it again (I really should start taking notes, so I know where I've seen these things!).

The reasoning for keeping dietary fat low on a short carbohydrate refeed is that de novo lipogenesis is a very non-preferred pathway during severe-to-moderate glycogen depletion. The converse is not true in that fat overfeeding in such a state will preferably follow pathways to body fat gain. Here is one paper:
    There are others with higher n studies, but I don't have time for digging right now. It is called "carbohydrate overfeeding" in the scientific literature if you want to look for them. A short 2-day refeed is not going to do much to repair an unfavorable hormonal profile, hence the utility of a longer diet break. You will restore glycogen after 1-3 days at maintenance (assuming you are not low-carbing), so there is no immediate value in keeping dietary fat low after that point.

To add to this, one of the points that Lyle makes in the video (and I think it wasn't discussed enough) is that fat doesn't have the impact on leptin, cortisol and thyroid functions that carbs do; so in this case, why use up calories on a non beneficial macronutrient (outside of personal preference or to ensure adequate calories).

I can definitely make a play to stickie this topic, but it will most likely have to be in the BB/Gaining Weight section. I say that because, it's the only place we can discuss Lyle's "horrible" diets. The reason being, is the only people who should be following those style diets are the ones who have a solid foundation in nutrition/dieting as they tend to be fairly aggressive and often do not comply with MFP's standards.

So if that is a path we would like to take, please let me know and I can move the thread.

kqHskVg.jpg

If I decide to get back in calorie counting, I may have to use this strategy. But man and I haven't a tough time getting leaner (~16% now). Mentally, calorie count has been rough.

Would you mind explaining what you mean about his "horrible" diets? Do you mean the fasting diets he has?

Shhhh, we're not allowed to discuss them in Gen Pop! :p (I joke, Lemon, I joke!).

Basically, they are very specific, and quite hard core, strategies meant for lean (like really lean, mainly competitors) people getting leaner, once fat loss gets really stubborn. They are mentioned all of twice in this thread: first on p2, in some background context to how refeeds were originally put forward by Lyle, and then Anubis's mention of doing PSMF (protein-sparing modified fast) 4-5 days a week as part of his strategy. They are definitely advanced techniques, and have entire books on how to employ them. This is why I said waaaaaay back early in the thread that proper high carb refeeds are possibly overkill for me, because I'm a) not that lean, and b) not following any of those more aggressive diets (which again, require a solid foundation in nutrition/dieting, aka ya gotta know, like really know, what you're doing).

• maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options

kqHskVg.jpg

Would you mind explaining what you mean about his "horrible" diets? Do you mean the fasting diets he has?

Shhhh, we're not allowed to discuss them in Gen Pop! :p (I joke, Lemon, I joke!).

Basically, they are very specific, and quite hard core, strategies meant for lean (like really lean, mainly competitors) people getting leaner, once fat loss gets really stubborn. They are mentioned all of twice in this thread: first on p2, in some background context to how refeeds were originally put forward by Lyle, and then Anubis's mention of doing PSMF (protein-sparing modified fast) 4-5 days a week as part of his strategy. They are definitely advanced techniques, and have entire books on how to employ them. This is why I said waaaaaay back early in the thread that proper high carb refeeds are possibly overkill for me, because I'm a) not that lean, and b) not following any of those more aggressive diets (which again, require a solid foundation in nutrition/dieting, aka ya gotta know, like really know, what you're doing).

Okay thanks, won't mention even the acronyms then lol.

I know about them (or similar) and actually read one of Lyle's earlier books ages ago and have also previously looked at Martin Berkhan and Alan Aragon's programs. What Lyle was proposing was definitely too extreme for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

kqHskVg.jpg

In the video, Lyle joked that is diets where horrible; he was talking about PSMF/RFL and UD2.0. They are aggressive and not for the faint at heart. Due to their nature (aka severe caloric restriction), it took a while for me to convince MFP to allow discussions about them. The caveat was we are not allowed to recommend them (people can say what they are doing) and it would have to be focused in the BB section since that is where, for a large part, the more advanced dieters tend to hang out.

Having said all of this, we should limit discussions of these diets in the future on this thread. If we do want to discuss those strategies, then we can discuss over in the gaining weight/body building sections.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yep, agree absolutely.

When I mentioned "neurotic" things elite athletes do to get down to their required weight earlier, I was actually thinking about these kind of aggressive diets (apart from all the other weird stuff).

I'm of the same opinion as @Nony_Mouse and @GottaBurnEmAll then that this thread really isn't about those but about taking diet breaks and refeeding. Completely opposite actually!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

kqHskVg.jpg

In the video, Lyle joked that is diets where horrible; he was talking about PSMF/RFL and UD2.0. They are aggressive and not for the faint at heart. Due to their nature (aka severe caloric restriction), it took a while for me to convince MFP to allow discussions about them. The caveat was we are not allowed to recommend them (people can say what they are doing) and it would have to be focused in the BB section since that is where, for a large part, the more advanced dieters tend to hang out.

Having said all of this, we should limit discussions of these diets in the future on this thread. If we do want to discuss those strategies, then we can discuss over in the gaining weight/body building sections.

Perfectly happy with that :) They definitely haven't been recommended in this thread, just mentioned.

Soooo, now that we've cleared up, and made clear, that those methods are a) for advanced dieters, and b) not up for discussion in this thread, can we be reconsidered for Gen Pop stickidom?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

kqHskVg.jpg

Perfectly happy with that :) They definitely haven't been recommended in this thread, just mentioned.

Soooo, now that we've cleared up, and made clear, that those methods are a) for advanced dieters, and b) not up for discussion in this thread, can we be reconsidered for Gen Pop stickidom?

I will see what I can do. I loved the video and the following 9 pages of discussion. It's one of the few non controversial threads I have seen in a long time with actual discuss of science. It's actually a bit shocking. :p

Yay, thanks :)

And IKR??? I was sure it was going to go nowhere when I posted it, other than a few posts from people who are probably my friends :p. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect nine pages and still going of actual non-contentious sciencey, useful discussion, including from people I know hadn't even thought about this physiology stuff much, if at all, prior to this.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed the discussion and furthering my knowledge (a good chunk of which will probably not stick this time other than vague recollections, give me another year of it being repeated).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I've really enjoyed the discussion and furthering my knowledge (a good chunk of which will probably not stick this time other than vague recollections, give me another year of it being repeated).

Yeah, I'm loving it. Especially the fact that we've got such a broad range of experience, right from people who can answer my pesky questions because they've got way more of a grasp of this than I do, those like us who have some knowledge and understanding, and people who this stuff is completely new to. This all takes me back to Education theory (I was almost a teacher once...) and Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development and Scaffolding theory.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Question - anyone eating the level of protein Lyle mentioned in the video? I swear he mentioned 1.4 x body weight but can't listen to the whole thing again right now to find it. I am trying it for the week and I can not imagine fitting that much protein in on more than a 250 calorie/day deficit.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited October 2017
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Question - anyone eating the level of protein Lyle mentioned in the video? I swear he mentioned 1.4 x body weight but can't listen to the whole thing again right now to find it. I am trying it for the week and I can not imagine fitting that much protein in on more than a 250 calorie/day deficit.

Do you mean in general how much protein? I think from memory he usually recommends around 0.8-1g per lb for dieters. The 1.4 may have been g per kg. If I can do 0.8g as a 140 lb female vegetarian, you should be able to manage that :)

ETA: Doh, check other person's profile first, Nony! I see that you are female too, so yeah, we generally don't have the calories to play with that men do, which makes it tougher. Protein shakes have become my best friend (like, who doesn't want a milkshake every night??). But this is also why my carbs are lower on deficit days (usually 80-100g), so I have room for all the protein.

I think if you can hit 0.8g per lb, you're doing well. If you're strength training, esp lifting heavy, you may want to go a little higher.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

He noted that mainly applied for very lean individuals (i.e., males under 10%). I am anout 1g per lb but have days above.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Do you mean in general how much protein? I think from memory he usually recommends around 0.8-1g per lb for dieters. The 1.4 may have been g per kg. If I can do 0.8g as a 140 lb female vegetarian, you should be able to manage that :)

It was 1.4 gram per pound. I found it - it is around 45 minutes in. You are correct @psuLemon - it is for lean individuals.

I typically eat 1.0-1.1 gram per pound. I have to say I feel much fuller this week at 1.4!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

It was 1.4 gram per pound. I found it - it is around 45 minutes in. You are correct @psuLemon - it is for lean individuals.

I typically eat 1.0-1.1 gram per pound. I have to say I feel much fuller this week at 1.4!

Haha, I'd gotten to 44 mins in flicking through. So close!!

I'll hit 1.1g per lb today, i have had some days where I've had it higher, but I've also done a ton of exercise and therefore have more calories to play with. On a day to day basis, I'd struggle to do that.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Things we’ve learned:

• take a break from dieting
    • people can get along and productively continue a thread
    • Lyle is not gen pop material, and like his diets, should be mentioned sparingly and in context :D

I think that last one is appropriate. He’d be proud to be the Voldemort of MFP lol

Lyle's women's book hasn't been released yet. The last statement might be subject to change upon its release :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Things we’ve learned:

• Lyle is not gen pop material, and like his diets, should be mentioned sparingly and in context :D

I think that last one is appropriate. He’d be proud to be the Voldemort of MFP lol

I think a lot of what he does can be for gen pop but he also has advanced protocols as he is a trainer of elite lifters and has a vested interest in that particular area. And one of those lifters is female so I guess that's what took him down that rabbit hole. I am happy for that!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Things we’ve learned:

No, no, I think Lyle's basics are fine for gen pop (and I know we all agree that's stuff everyone can benefit from). I'm still determined to lead horses to water and make them drink, even if I (gently) have to hold their heads under :p

In book news, he's almost half way on the editing. We may see it this year!!