Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Today for the first time in my 91 days logging, I'm really hungry

I've had my usual breakfast lunch and snack but have been hungry all day despite eating.

will see what happens after dinner which is about 630 cals but I'm dreading being hungry afterwards

any thoughts?

If I am hungry on a given day, I eat more. It doesn't happen often and 1 day occasionally isn't going to derail anything. I've also found an eating protocol involving IF and a macro mix where it hardly ever happens.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I've had my usual breakfast lunch and snack but have been hungry all day despite eating.

will see what happens after dinner which is about 630 cals but I'm dreading being hungry afterwards

any thoughts?

FYI, I tried Day 1 of a refeed yesterday.

I had aimed for maintenance but went over maintenance by 500 cals with 60c/30p/10f macros (so 2700 cals for the day) because I was hungry and did this as a deliberate choice.

Did not seem to harm my progress at all because I was down by 0.22 pounds today.

Caveat:
    - It might also have something to do with me being more relaxed in the last 2 weeks since I upped my cals to a 300 deficit (all the cortisol, leptin and stuff...)
    - It might also be my maintenance being higher than what I thought it was because I've been losing way faster than what I should have been on a 300 cal deficit (again, cortisol high/leptin low?? during the period when I was eating what I thought were my maintenance cals before)

I'm not even going to pretend that I know anything!!
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Never seen this before but I also have my diet arranged like this.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    maybyn wrote: »

any thoughts?

FYI, I tried Day 1 of a refeed yesterday.

I had aimed for maintenance but went over maintenance by 500 cals with 60c/30p/10f macros (so 2700 cals for the day) because I was hungry and did this as a deliberate choice.

Did not seem to harm my progress at all because I was down by 0.22 pounds today.

Caveat:
    - It might also have something to do with me being more relaxed in the last 2 weeks since I upped my cals to a 300 deficit (all the cortisol, leptin and stuff...)
    - It might also be my maintenance being higher than what I thought it was because I've been losing way faster than what I should have been on a 300 cal deficit (again, cortisol high/leptin low?? during the period when I was eating what I thought were my maintenance cals before)

I'm not even going to pretend that I know anything!!

The first thing to note is you can't make any assessments of progress impact overnight. The second, your maintenance is almost certainly higher if you are losing faster than intended, hormones be damned. Particularly if you did have raised cortisol and experienced a whoosh when this reduced, it would suggest you were perhaps losing even faster with it masked on the scale.

I had a third point but my brain lost it.

Third point, one day at maintenance (or above) is not enough to bring leptin back up, not even a little. That's not a refeed, in the sense that we are using it here. May have helped in other ways (psychological, which would have it's own effect on cortisol).

That's all my brain has right now. Maybe @VintageFeline and I should combine our brains for the day to produce full answers.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    So I had dinner and was still a bit hungry, so I had 100g of Fage 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt with a teaspoon of sugar for 20g of carbs and 11g protein

it appears to have done the trick

should note I walked for 90 minutes between breakfast and lunch carrying a large heavy rucksack, not sure if that has anything to do with it

I mean yesterday I did X-trainer HIIT and heavy legs weights session... and I wasn't hungry all day

gah no idea what's going on
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I had dinner and was still a bit hungry, so I had 100g of Fage 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt with a teaspoon of sugar for 20g of carbs and 11g protein

should note I walked for 90 minutes between breakfast and lunch carry a large heavy rucksack, not sure if that has anything to do with it

I mean yesterday I did X-trainer HIIT and heavy legs weights session... and I wasn't hungry all day

Sounds like over thinking... it's one day...
  • Rickster1967
    Options

should note I walked for 90 minutes between breakfast and lunch carry a large heavy rucksack, not sure if that has anything to do with it

been properly hungry even after a 600 calorie meal, all day

nothing to do with thinking
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Sometimes we just have days where we're really hungry for no apparent reason. Happens to people who are eating normally (ie not dieting) too. As mmapags said, if it becomes a regular thing, look closer (or just do the damn diet break). A one off is just a one off.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Ok then.

But you may want to go back over some of the content of this thread if you think that 'thinking' has nothing to do with it...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Toad's point is that it's one day.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline - did somebody say "wabbits"? LOL! I actually like rabbit holes....the more winding and deep the better. My brain likes this stuff....and I absolutely love the discovery process. All of the neat little things that I find along this journey help me to fill other days with other discovery processes. Now, if I could only remember where I put my glasses!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline - did somebody say "wabbits"? LOL! I actually like rabbit holes....the more winding and deep the better. My brain likes this stuff....and I absolutely love the discovery process. All of the neat little things that I find along this journey help me to fill other days with other discovery processes. Now, if I could only remember where I put my glasses!

If you're truly inspired to delve into the wonderful world of biochemistry and physiological response, more power to you. It will take a while, but we've all been in your place at one point and just started with more lay friendly posts that progressively got more into academia. Think of it like progressive overload for your brain.
  • Rickster1967
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

should note I walked for 90 minutes between breakfast and lunch carrying a large heavy rucksack, not sure if that has anything to do with it

If we recall, the body does have delayed responses to stimuli. So a delayed response to a heavy training session isn't abnormal at all. Some people might feel ravenous the day of training, some might feel it the day after, others might not feel it until they've trained their *kitten* off for a week. While other people might not feel hungry after weight training, some others do; and the opposite, some people do not feel hungry after cardio, while others might go right to the buffet after an hour of running because they've stimulated hunger.

Take the opportunity to study how your own body responds to various activity, stress, mood, etc. Hunger is just one cue that can have a multitude of reasons for why it's happening. If you really want to address hunger issues and are afraid of going ballistic with calories, then focus on protein as the primary macro of the meal and assess after if you're still hungry.

thanks!

really makes sense, I remember I was really hungry, much more than normal, when I woke up this morning and still was after breakfast

I have been training pretty hard, especially legs day, for quite a few weeks but not been hungry after.

I'll see how I go tomorrow and next day as I'm doing upper body weights

really appreciate the insight
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

If you're truly inspired to delve into the wonderful world of biochemistry and physiological response, more power to you. It will take a while, but we've all been in your place at one point and just started with more lay friendly posts that progressively got more into academia. Think of it like progressive overload for your brain.

And I feel like I have just scratched the surface. I've been watching and learning and reading slowly but surely for 2.5 years now when I started to seriously take an interest, remembering that biology was one of my two favourite subjects (English being the other, so I like to read, handy for this sort of thing). I wish I'd got into when I was dancing other than what we were taught in our anatomy/physiology classes which were pretty superficial.