Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited May 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Calorie counting and moderation is the only way to lose weight!

Counting calories certainly isn't required to lose weight. But being in a calorie deficit is. It's the only way weight loss happens.

And on that note, I'd say this decade's health woo is people who don't believe that you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Might as well go around loudly proclaiming that the Earth is flat.

I don’t disagree with you that a calorie deficit is what causes weight loss.

I would say it’s a very small percentage of people on MFP that believe or proclaim otherwise. Certainly on MFP a smaller percentage than proclaim the health woo that calorie counting / moderation is the ‘one true diet’ IMHO.

Please clarify this post- a small percentage of MFPers claim calorie counting is the "one true diet"?

Isn't the poster saying, only a small percentage of mfp - ers would dispute that calorie deficit =weight loss. However, they then go on to say that claiming cico is the one true diet, is woo?
    That's the trouble with using lots of negatives. I'm confused
    Eta :hang on, I think it's that a distinction is being made between calorie deficit and calorie counting
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    celiah909 wrote: »
    It seems like each decade/period of time has some health thing that is all the rage and then later people roll their eyes at it. What do you think this decades will be?

Sugar is the enemy?
    HAAS?
    Protein shakes/supplements?
    Atkins was in the 60's so we've done the sugar thing. HAAS is recent. Protein shakes/supplements have been around forever.

Everything somehow recycles with a new twist on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Ketosis .... idk what is dr oz talking about lately? That should give us an idea.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Calorie counting and moderation is the only way to lose weight!

Counting calories certainly isn't required to lose weight. But being in a calorie deficit is. It's the only way weight loss happens.

And on that note, I'd say this decade's health woo is people who don't believe that you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Might as well go around loudly proclaiming that the Earth is flat.

I don’t disagree with you that a calorie deficit is what causes weight loss.

I would say it’s a very small percentage of people on MFP that believe or proclaim otherwise. Certainly on MFP a smaller percentage than proclaim the health woo that calorie counting / moderation is the ‘one true diet’ IMHO.

Please clarify this post- a small percentage of MFPers claim calorie counting is the "one true diet"?

Isn't the poster saying, only a small percentage of mfp - ers would dispute that calorie deficit =weight loss. However, they then go on to say that claiming cico is the one true diet, is woo?
    That's the trouble with using lots of negatives. I'm confused

I was referencing 'some' peoples instance at preaching calorie counting and eating in moderation as the 'true model' to achieve CICO.

As this appears to be a lighthearted jokey thread, I was just joshing at the people who can't help themselves from jumping in on the backs of Clean Eating, LCHF, KETO, Vegan etc.. threads and disregarding answering the OP's questions about a different dieting models they are looking to try, in order to help them achieve a CICO deficit and just pushing moderation and calorie counting on them.

Sorry didn't mean to confuse you.

Ahh so you were trolling, got it.

In all seriousness I don’t see what you are seeing, regarding pushing calorie counting, or moderation. I see people letting folks know that a calorie deficit is what’s required for weight loss. Occasionally in CICO threads the conversation turns to calorie counting but that’s usually because someone is using CICO and calorie counting interchangeably and people are clarifying that misunderstanding but adding that counting calories is a good way to ensure you’re in a calorie deficit, regardless of how you choose to eat and what “diet” you’re following. Discussions of “moderation” as a diet actually aren’t as prominently features as they used to be, maybe you’re thinking back to a few years ago when there were ongoing debates about the merits of restricting certain foods vs moderation in all things. I still think moderation is a core value for many successful members, but I certainly don’t see it being pushed and not as the only choice for all people. I think many of us recognize and acknowledge that dietary choices are Individualized and what works for one may not work for everyone, and that the only hard and fast requirement is a calorie deficit with achieving adequate nutrition also supremely important.

I only wish the mainstream media and blogosphere pushing fads like clean eating, keto, paleo, etc had the same respect for other ways of eating...

+1. Well said! I see this essentially the same.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    ok ok, move on guys. If it dissolves to attacking you will get warnedbanned.

Thanks,
    4legs
    MFP moderator

FIFY :p
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Woo *oh forgot SARMs & "not for human consumption, for research purposes only" substances loop hole (a bit more underground topic but has been brought to congress more recently)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Woo *oh forgot SARMs & "not for human consumption, for research purposes only" substances loop hole...

It's very interesting how SARMs have slid by for even this long.