Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

Options

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned apple cider vinegar lately? I know it's fallen out of "fashion" but someone posts about it every week it seems.

It's good in a light salad dressing. That's it, guys.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned apple cider vinegar lately? I know it's fallen out of "fashion" but someone posts about it every week it seems.

Braggs had a real good run there for a bit.
  • TinManJoe
    TinManJoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Apple Cider Vinegar has been "in" for a while. I remember people doing...whatever...with it when I was in college, ten years ago.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

Now wait. If I want to do a nondairy substitute for buttermilk, ACV in soy or almond milk works wonders, too!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I vote for hypothyroid. The ultimate fad disease. Just about everyone here claims they have it, and blame their weight problem on it.

I don't know... Since about 1 in 10, mostly women, do have hypothyroidism, I think it is not an unusual problem.

[/quote]

Hypothyroidism must be diagnosed by a doctor. If someone just "guesses" that they have it, then that is BS. When you go to the doctor for a full thyroid workup and you are found to be extremely deficient in T3 and T4 and up to 4 on your TSH, then you require medication. Receiving this medication took me from being unable to lose weight back to an almost normal state of wakefulness and calorie burning.

I think the worst woo is fad diets that leave people without necessary nutrients. If you can't eat fruits and vegetables on a diet "because carbs," then that diet is crap!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I have always said, I would never wish for anyone to have any thyroid disorder! I might just have changed my mind.

I'm not going to wade through all these replies to find Noel_57 full comment. Were I to change my mind and wish someone hypothyroid experience it would possibly be this person because of this statement, "vote for hypothyroid. The ultimate fad disease".

Here in the UK achieving a thyroid diagnosis is very difficult. Doctors are reluctant to test for them and as for the more common hypo, commonly expressed as Hashimoto's they will not test for antibodies. We have one format of pill which contains dairy extracts as fillers! Many if not most people who are Hashimoto's have difficulty, sorry allergies to either Lactose or more commonly Casein the milk protein. The underlying causes of Hashimoto's and Graves, hyper, are not fully understood, scientific research is improving understanding slowly.

The most deplorable thing is not the ignorance in wider society, its that which proliferates in the medical profession, to make matters worse, a person's symptoms are disregarded, one official count of symptoms stands at 300 complaints, the testing numbers game being all. Should someone be comfortable at the bottom of "Normal Range" or is this person debilitated because these numbers are not normal for them?

I also tentatively wonder if possibly Noel has a down on women. Women are more often affected by this, often life restricting, debilitating thyroid problem. Its in the scientific data, 1 man for 8 and counting women! The proportion, at one time said to be 40% of society is increasing with time.

Having a thyroid issues is something you need to experience first hand, possibly second hand through a friend or family member to understand the range of their difficulties, Please don't scoff.

i have no thyroid and i agree in part with what you said, but also what Noel said - i don't wish my thyroid issues (undx hashi's and thyroid cancer and now no thyroid) - but at the same time, and the common refrain you see is that thyroid is the only reason someone can't lose weight - but the science (and @CSARdiver is much more knowledgable than me on the metabolism effect) is that when *properly* medicated, someone with thyroid issues has no harder time losing weight than any person with no issues

This is an interesting expose on how people interpret what they want and not necessarily what was stated. Noel's statement was directed at wooey excuse makers and not clinically diagnosed patients. Hypothyroidism does not slow you metabolism by any detectable means and the only weight gain associated with this is water weight - just as with any hormonal imbalance.

There is an increasing body of evidence suggesting that obesity causes hypothyroidism in many diagnosed patients. Unfortunately our politically correct environment makes stating objective facts controversial.

The underlying issues with the treatment of thyroid disorders in the UK lie with the NHS. At some point I would hope the citizens will take back what is rightfully theirs, but certainly not with this generation.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Oprah is lately partnering with Weight Watchers to promote whatever latest variant of fail they have.

Weight Watchers can work. My best friend lost 60 pounds from May 2017 to July 2018 doing nothing but counting points and walking. She has lost an additional 25 pounds since last July by counting points and adding cardio kickboxing twice a week.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I have always said, I would never wish for anyone to have any thyroid disorder! I might just have changed my mind.

I'm not going to wade through all these replies to find Noel_57 full comment. Were I to change my mind and wish someone hypothyroid experience it would possibly be this person because of this statement, "vote for hypothyroid. The ultimate fad disease".

Here in the UK achieving a thyroid diagnosis is very difficult. Doctors are reluctant to test for them and as for the more common hypo, commonly expressed as Hashimoto's they will not test for antibodies. We have one format of pill which contains dairy extracts as fillers! Many if not most people who are Hashimoto's have difficulty, sorry allergies to either Lactose or more commonly Casein the milk protein. The underlying causes of Hashimoto's and Graves, hyper, are not fully understood, scientific research is improving understanding slowly.

The most deplorable thing is not the ignorance in wider society, its that which proliferates in the medical profession, to make matters worse, a person's symptoms are disregarded, one official count of symptoms stands at 300 complaints, the testing numbers game being all. Should someone be comfortable at the bottom of "Normal Range" or is this person debilitated because these numbers are not normal for them?

I also tentatively wonder if possibly Noel has a down on women. Women are more often affected by this, often life restricting, debilitating thyroid problem. Its in the scientific data, 1 man for 8 and counting women! The proportion, at one time said to be 40% of society is increasing with time.

Having a thyroid issues is something you need to experience first hand, possibly second hand through a friend or family member to understand the range of their difficulties, Please don't scoff.

i have no thyroid and i agree in part with what you said, but also what Noel said - i don't wish my thyroid issues (undx hashi's and thyroid cancer and now no thyroid) - but at the same time, and the common refrain you see is that thyroid is the only reason someone can't lose weight - but the science (and @CSARdiver is much more knowledgable than me on the metabolism effect) is that when *properly* medicated, someone with thyroid issues has no harder time losing weight than any person with no issues

This is an interesting expose on how people interpret what they want and not necessarily what was stated. Noel's statement was directed at wooey excuse makers and not clinically diagnosed patients. Hypothyroidism does not slow you metabolism by any detectable means and the only weight gain associated with this is water weight - just as with any hormonal imbalance.

There is an increasing body of evidence suggesting that obesity causes hypothyroidism in many diagnosed patients. Unfortunately our politically correct environment makes stating objective facts controversial.

The underlying issues with the treatment of thyroid disorders in the UK lie with the NHS. At some point I would hope the citizens will take back what is rightfully theirs, but certainly not with this generation.

honestly in part i was too lazy to go back and read Noel's original comment - hahaa!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

honestly in part i was too lazy to go back and read Noel's original comment - hahaa!

It isn't there anymore, but found it buried within another post.
  • lin_be
    Options
    Oprah is lately partnering with Weight Watchers to promote whatever latest variant of fail they have.

Weight Watchers can work. My best friend lost 60 pounds from May 2017 to July 2018 doing nothing but counting points and walking. She has lost an additional 25 pounds since last July by counting points and adding cardio kickboxing twice a week.

I know one of the girls in that commercial with Oprah in Canada. She had a great experience with WW.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers once, but first of all it cost money and second of all I operate better knowing calories than going by points, which is a value that they change from time to time whereas calories don't change. I also have to tweak my foods to address prediabetes, so the more in depth nutritional and caloric info serves me vastly better than WW. My doctor did WW but she gained it all back like 2 years later. I didn't ask why because I didn't want to stomp on her feelings. I guess it just depends on what your needs are and how you prefer to monitor your intake.
  • lin_be
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I tried Weight Watchers once, but first of all it cost money and second of all I operate better knowing calories than going by points, which is a value that they change from time to time whereas calories don't change. I also have to tweak my foods to address prediabetes, so the more in depth nutritional and caloric info serves me vastly better than WW. My doctor did WW but she gained it all back like 2 years later. I didn't ask why because I didn't want to stomp on her feelings. I guess it just depends on what your needs are and how you prefer to monitor your intake.

Absolutely. Plenty of people have also calorie counted without WW and gained it back. I don’t think it’s a woo diet fad though. I personally wouldn’t pay for it but I’m cheap AF.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I did well on earlier programs (the "exchanges" and the Smart Points iteration circa 2005). Still, nobody mentioned that the last few lbs before goal can take forever. I got discouraged. Especially since it FELT like they expected most women to be on 1200 calories/day (not that they said so, but when one knew the calories to a slice of bread or tsp of oil and did the math, it generally came out around there).